Classic Opera browser 12.16 [SFS] for Wary and Racy.etc

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Terryphi

#121 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the Opera SFS to version 12.02 (build 1578). This contains bug fixes and stability fixes.

Full details are in the first post in this thread.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

sakamoto

#122 Post by sakamoto »

many thanks Terryphi - highly appreciated :)

sindi

Opera 12.02 tar.gz and flash

#123 Post by sindi »

I unpacked opera 12.02 in /initrd/mnt/dev_save.

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so (I tried both 10 and 11) is working in Firefox 8 and Seamonkey 2.0.14 but not in Opera 11.52 or 12.02, where the plugin is not detected though the other plugins (gxine etc) are (preferences advanced content).

Puppy 4.3.1 kernel 2.6.21.7 DELL D600 1.6GHz (recently unthrottled with cpufreq to avoid a hardware problem). Xvesa. Intel.

Also have a frequent mouse problem - moves but clicking does nothing. Happens only in Opera seemingly randomly. Might Xorg fix both problems?

Someone else reported flash being detected but not working.

sindi

Opera flash problemt continued

#124 Post by sindi »

Switched to Xorg, which now offers to let me use HTML5. Opera is listed as supporting WebM (Opera 10.6+) but the linux version seems not to do that.

Youtube still tells me to Upgrade Flash (or use HTML5) and archive.org suggest that flash is disabled or needs upgrading.

Why might Opera (not installed but unpacked) not detect all the plugins?

sindi

Opera and flash

#125 Post by sindi »

ldd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
reveals a bunch of missing libraries, which are found in either firefox
or seamonkey (top directory - I had not installed the packages but just
unpacked them in /mnt/hda8).
Edit the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in /etc/profile, adding at the end before the "
the location of firefox or seamonkey after a : (in my case :/mnt/hda8/firefox").
Reboot (or do whatever else might make linux recognize the new profile).
I had already posted the solution for Pulp linux. Opera apparently expects these libraries to be present while Mozilla browsers are supplied with them.
Opera will not recognize plugins with missing supporting libraries.

You could, instead, copy the missing libraries to /usr/lib, but then they won't get updated when you update the Mozilla browsers.

Does the 12.02 SFS file come with these libraries?

Terryphi

Re: Opera and flash

#126 Post by Terryphi »

sindi wrote: Does the 12.02 SFS file come with these libraries?
No, because it is designed for Wary, Racy, and Puppy versions which include Seamonkey and, therefore, already have the required mozilla libraries.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

sindi

Opera and flash

#127 Post by sindi »

In Pulp Linux (which does not come with Seamonkey) Opera 11.50 would not work with flash (empty black rectangle, but no complaints about upgrading flash after I added the missing libraries to the library path), until I switched from Xvesa to Xorg.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (exit X)
cd /usr/X*/bin
ln -sf Xorg X (symlink Xorg instead of Xvesa to X)
xwin (reload X)

You could instead do
Menu, Exit to prompt, Xorgwizard, choose Xorg.

Seamonkey 2 worked with flash and Xvesa.

Puppy 4.3.1 comes with Seamonkey 1.1.18, but I was getting the complaint about upgrading flash in Opera 11 and 12. I think Seamonkey crashed when I tried to play archive.org movie - flash libraries may be too old?

sindi

More Opera and Youtube problems

#128 Post by sindi »

Extendtube seems to disable Youtube flash. I disabled it.

Opera 12.02 gives me a black rectangle with a message to download and install a plugin when I mouse clicked.

So I installed one of the many Youtube downloaders, and downloaded flv and mp3.
gxine complained it was missing libmozjs.so, found in Seamonkey 1.1.18 and 2.0.14 but not 2.12.1. I copied it from 2.0.14 to /usr/lib.

Click on Downloads tab, then on the mp3 file, and gxine now plays it.
It will not play the flv (with defaultmediaplayer), only the title, The mp4 is smaller.

Opera 11.52 plays Youtube directly. My download was about 10 MB/min.
Is there an Smplayer 0.8.1 for Puppy yet? It has a Youtube Browser.

OscarTalks

#129 Post by OscarTalks »

I am a little puzzled here. Why would Opera need mozilla libs in order to run flash player?

Is it something to do with the fact that libflashplayer.so is normally installed into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins by .pet packages of flash player in Puppy? Opera seems to be looking there for plugins anyway, but it does also have its own plugins folder (where it also looks) at (in the case of terryphi's sfs) /opt/opera/lib/opera/plugins so perhaps if libflashplayer.so were installed there it would work even in Puppies without any mozilla browsers installed.

I have been doing a bit of testing of Opera and it seems OK although on a couple of machines I did get the problem of flash player detected but not working plus some other glitches. Most obvious give-away that something is wrong is when the tray icon is not displaying properly as a red letter "O". This does seem to be related to graphics driver settings because in both cases on 2 different computers, one running Wary and the other running Lucid, I found that changing the colour depth from 16 to 24 cured the problem.
Oscar in England

sindi

libflashplayer.so library requirements

#130 Post by sindi »

ldd libflashplayer.so showed that
puppy 4.3.1 did not have on the library path a few libraries needed for flash, which come with seamonkey and firefox but not opera. Flash used to come in a separate version for opera, I recall. Why would flash in Opera sometimes only work with Xorg not Xvesa? Maybe I was using 16-color Xvesa.

Terryphi

#131 Post by Terryphi »

OscarTalks wrote:I am a little puzzled here. Why would Opera need mozilla libs in order to run flash player?
Flask Player needs the mozilla libraries to work. Opera assumes that they are already present and does not cause confusion by duplicating them. Many mainstream Linux distros (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Puppy, etc) include a Mozilla browser (Firefox or Seamonkey) as default browser and so the libs are already present. Some Puppy derivatives including Saluki have chosen not to include a Mozilla browser as default. However, I believe Jemimah made available a .pet of the libraries for Saluki users.

OscarTalks

#132 Post by OscarTalks »

@ Terryphi
Thanks for the reply. I did wonder about Saluki.

By the way, is anyone else finding that Yahoo pages display in a very basic form with no images?
Entering http://uk.yahoo.com but the address bar shows an inserted "m" thus:- http://uk.m.yahoo.com as if something is forcing a simplified (mobile?) version of the page.
Oscar in England

Terryphi

#133 Post by Terryphi »

OscarTalks wrote:@ Terryphi
Thanks for the reply. I did wonder about Saluki.

By the way, is anyone else finding that Yahoo pages display in a very basic form with no images?
Entering http://uk.yahoo.com but the address bar shows an inserted "m" thus:- http://uk.m.yahoo.com as if something is forcing a simplified (mobile?) version of the page.
I don't normally use Yahoo but I checked the URL and confirm that for Opera it delivers uk.m.yahoo.com. I will report it to Opera devs.

If this site is important to you you could try masquerading as Firefox for this URL. Right click> edit site preferences>Network>browser identification.

sindi

Flash not working in Opera on HP N5415

#134 Post by sindi »

Flash works in Seamonkey and Firefox but not Opera 11 (or 12). Even the little moving ad for R1Soft in the forum is non-moving, and Youtube gives me a plain black rectangle. Xorg (I don't see any way to choose color depth). libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins has all dependencies (I put them on the path).

I can't find any Flashblock or Stop Autoplay for Seamonkey 2.12 - how do I block the moving ads?

OscarTalks

#135 Post by OscarTalks »

@ Terryphi

The masquerading as Firefox does work so thanks for that.

Is there some reason why your sfs is structured with (except for the desktop file) the /opt/opera prefix?

I downloaded the "Other Linux" tarball from the Opera website just to take a look and thought about constructing a .pet but my instinct was to arrange the file structure with the prefix /usr throughout. Main binary is at /usr/lib/opera/opera and I put a basic shell script in /usr/bin which executes it with an argument to specify the share directory at /usr/share/opera. Are you aware of any problem with doing it this way or is it just a case of several equally valid ways of doing it?

The .pet seems to install and surf OK. Performance seems the same as your sfs. Not sure about such things as updating and printing but no errors or warnings in console.
Oscar in England

Tman

#136 Post by Tman »

Thanks Terryphi,

I used your SFS as a model for my own. For those who are interested,
I made an Opera-12.02 pet and split the locales into a separate pet.
Without the locales, it's only 12MB :).

You can download them from ->here

Terryphi

#137 Post by Terryphi »

I have updated the Opera SFS to version 12.10 (build 1652). This release is a recommended security update.

Full details are in the first post in this thread.

Jasper

#138 Post by Jasper »

Hi Terryphi,

Thank you very much for the update, which I am using with Precise 5.4 PAE (although I have only 640MB RAM).

The md5 agrees and it seems to work as usual, but as shown in the screenshots there are two display oddities. One top left of screen and the other with the bottom right tray icon.

It may be all down to me as I have a 486 desktop (since no display oddity arises using Slacko 5.3.1), but I'll be grateful if you or any reader has any comment, suggestion or advice.

My regards
Attachments
Opera-1.png
(111.22 KiB) Downloaded 2543 times
Opera-2.png
(68.91 KiB) Downloaded 2327 times

Terryphi

#139 Post by Terryphi »

Jasper,

I have just tested on Precise 5.4 PAE and Racy and I am not seeing any display problems. You could try creating a new profile. I have seen other unrelated problems on upgrading while testing release candidates.

If you have time to do some tests you could temporarily rename /root/.opera/operaprefs.ini and restart Opera. It will load with default settings and create a new operaprefs.ini . Do you still see the problem?

Jasper

#140 Post by Jasper »

Hi Terryphi.

Thanks for your reply. You suggestion was quick and easy to try,
but the display oddities remained.

My regards