How to use Realtek rtl8188ce wireless?

crobar

How to use Realtek rtl8188ce wireless?

#1 Post by crobar »

I'm a noobie, but I have spent many hours combing this forum and googling the subject. I have a Toshiba laptop: Satellite C55D- S5202 with a rtl8188ce wireless wifi. It's windows 7 OS. It locks up linux, I have tried mint12, Mint 13 (32 bit), Mint 13 (64 bit), Ubuntu 12.04.1, Precise puppy 5.4, Slacko 5.3.3, Slacko 5.3.1, Lucid puppy 5.2.8, Macpup 5.2.8, Racy 5.3 ., Saluki puppy 021. All of them worked on wired LAN, Mint worked on wireless sometimes, eventually quit, Precise worked a few times, Slacko 5.3.3 the same, the rest none. HELP, does any linux work on this machine, that is on the wireless, or am I expecting too much as one article said.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey crobar

I'm certainly no expert but a quick google finds details here for puppy:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... e34ece952a

good luck

:)

crobar

#3 Post by crobar »

this driver is a pet so do I just download on lucid 5.2.8 & reboot? I'm a little lost

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Yep, and maybe blacklist rtl8192ce ?

crobar

#5 Post by crobar »

thanx pemasu
wow, so I researched blacklisting. I read about pupscan. When I scanned I found that Precise puppy 5.4 already has these modules(?) installed rtl8192 c common; rtl8192ce; rtlwifi. Now what? Puppy freezes when I click connect, if lan wire is disconnected.

pemasu

#6 Post by pemasu »

First thing. I thought we were talking about this link and pet for Lucid Puppies:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... e34ece952a

Next thing. These kernel driver modules are Puppy distro and kernel version spesific. Dont mix them up.

Third thing. Now that we have jumped to Precise Puppy....yes it has rtl8192ce and it seems to lockup your comp or wlan or something. So it does not behave any better. I dont understand what you mean with installing:
installed rtl8192 c common; rtl8192ce; rtlwifi. Now what? Puppy freezes when I click connect, if lan wire is disconnected.
If the module has been recognized to be for your wlan chip, it will be used without your manual work, there should not be any need for installing anything. If you install some kernel driver modules outside Precise Puppy, they are to be failed because only Precise Puppy has the kernel version it uses. Okay....there is couple of derivatives which use Precise Puppy kernel, but you didnt mention testing them. So...I am lost what you did.

But.....If you test Precise Puppy....without installing conflicting kernel module drivers from outside Precise Puppy.....you could install couple of missing firmwares to the Precise Puppy....Firmwares are mostly kernel version non-dependent anyway....and Precise Puppy miss couple of them.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 681#662681

And yes....there is problems with rtl8192ce kernel module and some toshiba laptops which uses the chip you have. What is the right fix....I dont know for sure.

But if you test Precise Puppy...and install my offered firmware pet....it would be easies to reboot after that so that possibly different firmware would be loaded for your chip....maybe.
After reboot....in console: dmesg will tell what firmware has been loaded. Among other things. Dmesg tells a lot other things also....so you need to hunt from listing rows about wireless loading.

Or run in console: pmodemdiag....which creates pmodemdiag tar ball ie tar.gz compressed package with several files inside which have that dmesg information also and you can upload that tar.gz package here in forum for other people inspection. That could be reasonable.

crobar

#7 Post by crobar »

sorry for the confusion I caused. When blacklisting was mentioned, it was a new term to me. I googled it and read a couple articles about it. At the time I was using Precise puppy. As I read the article I clicked the start menu, system, etc. Pupscan was mentioned, when I did a sacn, I was shocked to see rtl8192ce driver was loaded on Precise Puppy. Precise also freezes, so that's why I commented. Thanks for your reply, I understand that lucid & precise downloads are not interchangeable. I'm a noobie so I have to carefully study your post, but I certainly appreciate your reply.