SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

Re: Solidpup

#281 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac,

To be honest, I am using old-fashioned wired LAN connection. Although I do have a Wireless-N usb stick and an older model Wireless-G router, I don't really have a need for them with my desktop computer, so they just sit, stored-away in boxes.

But when I did try them for a little while, about 2 years back, I remember that I had to set up the wifi password and other settings with the Network Connection Wizard, but my settings were saved when I rebooted.

So, I don't know why it is not saving your settings...perhaps placing your questions somewhere in the "House Training" section of this forum will get you the answers you are looking for.

Also, the link to the new Nvidia pet (a few posts above) is now fixed.
-

greengeek

#282 Post by greengeek »

sheldonisaac wrote:Hi, how can I have it connect to wireless on bootup? Network Wizard lets me connect, but it doesn't connect on later boot,
Hi Sheldon, one of the main reasons I use SolidpupLITE is that it has always reconnected my wireless after boot - and it does this faster than most of my other puppies - so I think Solidpup itself is good in this area.
Which Network wizard do you use for your setup? Do you use SNS, Frisbee or the standard (classic) network wizard? I almost always use the standard wizard as I fins SNS unreliable, and have had some variable behaviour from Frisbee on some machines/puppies.
Are you able to do a trial by making a fresh Solidpup installation, with fresh savefile, and then connect with only the standard wizard then resave? See if that allows reconnection after boot?
(Also are you choosing a different puppy hostname for each puppy install? eg: not puppypc but something like puppypc1234?) Some routers (like my Thomson) keep a sort of database of which machines come online (IP address, MAC address and hostname) and it seems to affect the reliability of connection if the same hostname is attached to multiple devices.

sheldonisaac

#283 Post by sheldonisaac »

greengeek wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:Hi, how can I have it connect to wireless on bootup? Network Wizard lets me connect, but it doesn't connect on later boot,
Hi Sheldon, one of the main reasons I use SolidpupLITE is that it has always reconnected my wireless after boot - and it does this faster than most of my other puppies - so I think Solidpup itself is good in this area.
Which Network wizard do you use for your setup? Do you use SNS, Frisbee or the standard (classic) network wizard? I almost always use the standard wizard as I fins SNS unreliable, and have had some variable behaviour from Frisbee on some machines/puppies.
Are you able to do a trial by making a fresh Solidpup installation, with fresh savefile, and then connect with only the standard wizard then resave? See if that allows reconnection after boot?
(Also are you choosing a different puppy hostname for each puppy install? eg: not puppypc but something like puppypc1234?) Some routers (like my Thomson) keep a sort of database of which machines come online (IP address, MAC address and hostname) and it seems to affect the reliability of connection if the same hostname is attached to multiple devices.
Just a brief reply, because I'm tired etc.
At the moment, it's the standard (classic) network wizard, using WEP.
Her old computer is still using that, while I test this one. Maybe that's why WPA-2 gave trouble?
I don't know where to get Frisbee that works under SolidPup?

There's only one install on this now,

Code: Select all

ls -l /mnt/home/solid/
total 363608
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1911676 Oct 21 22:39 initrd.gz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2177648 Oct 21 22:39 vmlinuz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  99430400 Oct 21 22:47 wary_511.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 268435456 Nov  2 18:55 warysave-nov1a.2fs
I had renamed the old savefile, and installed fresh.

The Actiontec router lists many wireless connections besides this one (below); how can I get rid of them?

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:6F:8A:D8:89  
          inet addr:192.168.1.4  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

greengeek

#284 Post by greengeek »

sheldonisaac wrote:At the moment, it's the standard (classic) network wizard, using WEP.
Her old computer is still using that, while I test this one. Maybe that's why WPA-2 gave trouble?
That's a possibility. I haven't used WEP recently, but I've heard of some wireless connection oddities if the Puppy security method "conflicts" with the selected router one. Does this other post offer any clues?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81600

Tman

#285 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac wrote: I don't know where to get Frisbee that works under SolidPup?
I have compiled wpa-supplicant in Solidpup-511B. Please test it out for me and report your findings. I've also provided the links to the other needed pets for Frisbee, below.

Frisbee-beta-2.pet
xpupsay-1.2.1.pet
dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet
Attachments
wpa_supplicant-1.0-solid511B.pet
(193.91 KiB) Downloaded 706 times

sheldonisaac

#286 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote: I don't know where to get Frisbee that works under SolidPup?
I have compiled wpa-supplicant in Solidpup-511B. Please test it out for me and report your findings. I've also provided the links to the other needed pets for Frisbee, below.

Frisbee-beta-2.pet
xpupsay-1.2.1.pet
dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet
Thanks much, Tman.
Will do it soon, I hope.
Just now, I have to try to get my friend's Opera bookmarks onto this computer; I borrowed her current one to do that.

sheldonisaac

Re: Solidpup 5.1.1 final

#287 Post by sheldonisaac »

How can I have it automount USB drives when they are plugged in?

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon

Tman

#288 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac wrote:How can I have it automount USB drives when they are plugged in?

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon
I don't know of any easy solution for auto-mounting USB drives once they are just plugged-in.
If you leave the usb stick in there most of the time, then (I think) you can use startmount to automount it at bootup time.

Or you can use a trick that I learned from greengeek.. type this in the terminal:

geany /etc/eventmanager
Next, edit the line that says HOTPLUGNOISY="false" to HOTPLUGNOISY="true"
Then restart-x for the settings to take effect. This won't automount the drives, but you
will get a pop-up window from Pmount, and you can mount the drive from there.

sheldonisaac

#289 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:How can I have it automount USB drives when they are plugged in?

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon
I don't know of any easy solution for auto-mounting USB drives once they are just plugged-in.
If you leave the usb stick in there most of the time, then (I think) you can use startmount to automount it at bootup time.

Or you can use a trick that I learned from greengeek.. type this in the terminal:

geany /etc/eventmanager
Next, edit the line that says HOTPLUGNOISY="false" to HOTPLUGNOISY="true"
Then restart-x for the settings to take effect. This won't automount the drives, but you
will get a pop-up window from Pmount, and you can mount the drive from there.
I was in error on that question: probably I was thinking that Puppy should "know" that I'd plugged in the USB drive in, and put an icon on the desktop.

I've tried it again, and that does occur.
Then I can just click on its icon to mount it,

sheldonisaac

#290 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
I have compiled wpa-supplicant in Solidpup-511B. Please test it out for me and report your findings
I'm using the Solid Pup from
104124416 Oct 23 12:04 /mnt/sda2/sources/Solidpup511B-Lite-rc2.iso
without any later changes.

Installed in this order: dhcpd, wpasupplicant, xpupsay, Frisbee

Seems to work fine.

(EDIT: Last night was with WEP. I managed to get WPA this morning.
I guess I now have to change my friend's to WPA also?)

Thank you very much.

Sheldon

Tman

#291 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac wrote: Installed in this order: dhcpd, wpa-supplicant, xpupsay, Frisbee

Seems to work fine.
Thanks for the feedback, Sheldon. I am still deciding whether or not to add Frisbee to the OBXF version. In your opinion, does it work better than the standard "Network Connection Wizard"?

sheldonisaac

#292 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote: Installed in this order: dhcpd, wpa-supplicant, xpupsay, Frisbee

Seems to work fine.
Thanks for the feedback, Sheldon. I am still deciding whether or not to add Frisbee to the OBXF version. In your opinion, does it work better than the standard "Network Connection Wizard"?
Hi, just acknowledging.

I don't know.

Am making mistakes, including which versions of wpasupplicant etc etc to use on SolidPup vs my usual Lucid Puppy 5.2.8-005

Not sure about my friend's Dell D61o with Solid Pup; it seemed OK after brief testing. I hope to check more soon.

On my own D610, Frisbee was xpupsaying every couple of minutes that eth1 was down, and it was trying to reconnect!!

I see that you wree in the Frisbee thread today. Probably thre are many knowlegable people.

I think on my D610, Frisbee was OK under Solid, but not under Lucid?

Arefacti

#293 Post by Arefacti »

Hello, Frisbee is the one tool for me to connect wifi in all the puppy I tried.

my config is a eeepc 1000 with a Ralink rt2860 pci card

I use the network connection wizard to load the win**** driver and it blacklist the rt2800 which don't work fine.
after, I take a look on the : /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf to see if all is good.

so after that, I install :
wpa_supplicant-0.6.9-i486.4X.pet
dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet
xpupsay-1.2.1-i486.pet
Frisbee-beta-2.pet

the connection is always good and stable.

voilà, I hope I help.

Edit, probably a stupid question : how to get the lock on the desktop ? :oops:

Hugh

#294 Post by Hugh »

I've been using SolidPup for quite some time
now and it has been very good.

Just today I noticed that CUPS-PDF isn't
working. I don't often use it but it can
be very handy for splitting large .pdf files
into smaller portions.

When I select "Print" for the file the
print job window appears normally but
when I set up the job and click "Print"
the window disappears and nothing happens.

Has anyone else had problems with this?
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

sheldonisaac

Re: SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

#295 Post by sheldonisaac »

I have Solidpup Lite version
How to have a "show desktop" button near the main menu button, at the lower left corner of the screen?

Or other convenient place

Hugh

#296 Post by Hugh »

SeaMonkey 2.12 (Shinobar's sfs) gave me some
additional info on the CUPS-PDF print problem.

When attempting to print a web page as a test
it reported that the pdf writer backend failed.
Then when I attempted to close the print window
the browser locked up. CTRL-ALT-BKSP responded
normally and I was able to recover.

Anyone have any ideas on how this might be
fixed?

- - - - - Update

I used the package manager to re-install cups
from the repository and this resulted in CUPS-PDF
being able to print to file as I've been wanting it
to. But, it created another problem - I couldn't
run the pdf viewer to view any pdf files.

I uninstalled cups with the package manager and
now the pdf viewer is functioning normally again.

I'll try some other things...

Just tried to print to file again and all seems to be
working normally. It would seem that the problem
has been resolved! Hoorah!
Various Old Computers 100MHz - 1.9GHz
First Puppy: 2.00 Presently: TahrPup 6.0.3
HDD Filesystem: FAT32/ext3; Frugal Always

the last saviour

#297 Post by the last saviour »

Hi Tman;
Thanks for your very fast response.

I have just known how to off that detail from your advice.
Believe or not I have experienced JWM for years but I still use about 50% of the features. Some I still do not understand and get headace everytime I read the description. And its automatically Move function gave me a real nightmare.

Now with Gnome player, the music playing does not get interfered with mouse dragging anymore. :-)
Geany icon is now in the panel.
Opera 12.02 runs very well. But Fullscreen Fx. makes scroll bar disappeared (intentionally?). Anyway I can use Page Up, Down etc.

As you suggest, I have changed to xVesa, but zsnes is still not loaded (only black window showed for a second).
Firstly it also changed screen resolution to 800x600. So I had to change back to 1200x768 again.
Do you have zsnes.pet? So I can test in other Puppy whether it's my graphic card problem or not?
If you don't have this pet, please don't waste your time to create one, I'm not a serious gamer.

You have upgraded FFconvert to 1.3, the problem with BlackPup-SP, TealPup-SP gone. But the former makes rox-filer unseen.
The subwindows in preset window is very small. Is it possible to enlarge those subwindows? This small subwindow problem is quite common in Puppy Package Manager and others.

Screensaver Control is still malfunctioned. It doesn't work in other Puppies too.
And it will not function at all if music is playing!

There're 3 bugs in xfce panel I found;
1. Panel--Display-- Don't reserve space on borders
It will work only when I switch the mode to others and come back again.
2. It only modified in desktop1 but the other two desktops are not effected.
3. The window icons do not in a correct order.

I'd spent 10 minutes to find Openbox config in the Panel--Menu. Then I got it by right-click the destop.
So the two Menu are not identical.

Wallpaper Setter can be chaged only one time, then it'll stuck.

Parcellite clipboard has some bug.

I have downloaded many pets from Wary repository, Ibiblio, and found most of the pets are not functioned. Only Amaya is OK.

For shutdown, it will allow only a few seconds to take out the disc. That's not enough.

In IceWM, Pwidget will start only when default background is used. Then it will continue with other background. But Drive space doesn't show!

Best regards;
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

Tman

#298 Post by Tman »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the feedback and reports. I have done some catching up and read through the posts in this thread, but I haven't had much time to do any Puppy related work lately, since I started a new job.
I need to analyze the problems, and do some troubleshooting before I can get back with definate answers for problems mentioned above.
But at Artefacti, I recommend using the wpa-supplicant that was compiled in Solidpup, to use with Frisbee.
I will try to find some free time this weekend...

Tman

#299 Post by Tman »

Hi everyone,

Initially I only intended to take a break from Puppy for a little while, but that "little while" has turned out to be quite a few months. At this point I am not sure to continue on with Solidpup or not. The problem for me is the old backend libraries. A lot of newer apps require newer libraries in order to compile.

Perhaps a simpler and better approach to providing Puppy that supports older hardware would be to create a puppy based on something newer like Slacko or Precise Pup, but with an older kernel and an older version of Xorg.

Anyhow, for now Solidpup development is suspended.

Tote

#300 Post by Tote »

Hi Tman, glad to see you're still around. I always liked solidpup, moved away from it recently, not because of any issues with it, more because I change my mind a lot. :?

I'll definitely check out whatever pup you go with next.