OLD: mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
audiosm

#461 Post by audiosm »

Previously I had a problem with mpdpup not detecting my WaveIO usb interface on mpdpup power up.
This is now solved , it turned out to be very easy . The problem was solved by a bit of trial and error and almost no understanding – after looking on the waveIO forum a clue was seen, there was talk of using lsusb command to look at the usb bus.

This resulted in a list with the waveIO shown as ID 20a0 listed last as seen by testing with and without it connected . Simply re- locating the WaveIO with respect to the USB boot stick moved the waveIO to second last in the list and mpdpup auto detects it every time on start-up. The result of lsusb is now as below
There are only two items using the 3 USB ports on the PC. The last listed below is the USB boot stick. I have no idea what the others are with the same ID. Does this mean other items are sharing the usb bus ?

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 20a0:4143
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0204:6025

Happy that problem is solved, if it happens to others, just try re-positioning the waveIO on the USB ports . I tried too long before this was found .

acvtre

#462 Post by acvtre »

Hi, really glad that someone as created such an easy linux hifi dstribution, many compliments.

I've just installed mpdPup on virtualbox, but I've found some problems.
I've configured a static IP, but MPDroid, on my smartphone, cannot connect to it and secondly, Puppy hasn't recognized the hdds connectd via sata port.

Do you think that these problems are caused by virtualbox?

Normally I use a dedicated music pc with a pci soundcard and an hdd connected via usb. Do you think this setup could have any problem?

Thanks, and many compliments again.

ldolse

#463 Post by ldolse »

I've never tried using Virtualbox. I use VMWare fusion for most of my development, but I use real hardware for normal use. If Virtualbox is anything like VMWare you need to make sure you're in bridged mode vs. NAT'd mode, otherwise all your virtual machines will be hidden from the rest of the network - that would explain the Android problem.

No idea on the SATA problem, but since that's such a basic thing I would think it also relates to Virtualbox.

Lastly audio is quality is degredated pretty heavily by the numbers of abstractions the VM environment puts between mpd and the actual hardware.

A dedicated PC with a PCI soundcard should be ok, the only thing is if your music is on a USB drive then I don't recommend using a USB stick for booting from the same bus, as the drive enumeration can vary each time the system reboots. Better to boot from SATA for the OS and keep USB just for the audio library.
Last edited by ldolse on Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:45, edited 2 times in total.

ldolse

#464 Post by ldolse »

I'm pleased to announce that I've finally wrapped up a new release. Posted on the Puppy Linux boards here. A lot of the changes are based on the trials and tribulations of the many users who have taken mpdPup for a spin, thanks for all your testing and feedback!

Some highlights:
  • Lots of newbie proofing, enhanced wizards, new drivers
  • easy access to advanced mpd/alsa/driver tweaks for audiophiles
  • Optional inclusion of GMPC and various Web GUIs for users who want a built in user interface and are less concerned with minimal functions. These are disabled by default to keep the hardcore people happy.
  • Updated versions of MPD and many clients/codecs
And a lot more - check the new thread below for a more complete changelog; this thread has gotten a little long in the tooth, time for a fresh start.

Go here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=662898