Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
charlie6

#1281 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
About those losing network connections....
what to do then when network/internet connection has been lost ...? and also whitout need to reboot?

Btw, i disabled Frisbee ...thanks for your reply ...i was not aware of that menu entry ... nor that Frisbee is used for network connection neither ... so thanks for the lesson :-) !
Now there is only one blue-white-dog-telling-«IP...acquired on eth0»

Cheers, Charlie
ps: i did not find the name of the icon of blue-white-dog-telling ...

bruno

gecko media player always crashing

#1282 Post by bruno »

I'm still using dpup exprimo 3.2.14.2, but media player plugin is crashing all the time.
Maybe that's because it's version 1.0.6.b1?
I want to upgrade it to 1.0.6, but that's a tar.gz file.
I downloaded it, but how do i get that into firefox and working?
thanks

pemasu

#1283 Post by pemasu »

Bruno. Sorry. I have jumped to the 1.0.7b version staight. To get gnome-mplayer and gecko-mediaplayer to compile. You need first gmtk-dev of that version. I have them for those versions I have compiled. Then you compile gnome-mplayer and gecko-mediaplayer from those ....tar.gz source packages.

So....the package you found is for compiling, it is source package. How to compile....it is another story and there is whole compiling thread dedicated in this forum....I dont repeat info found there....here.

But if you want that latest version.....I can upload them to the exprimo repo. I dont upload all the inbuild stuff...which changes frequently....like gnome-mplayer.

bruno

mplayer

#1284 Post by bruno »

Oh thanks pemasu
Yes compiling is too complicated for me, I'm just a user of puppy, I don't know anything about compiling :shock:

Shep

Re: redundant network connection at startup ?

#1285 Post by Shep »

charlie6 wrote:This happened once that the ethernet connection went broken for any reason - this happened using FF14, 15, and now 16.0.1.

Restarting X did not help to get the ethernet connection again.

I would have found a solution whitout need to reboot.
If something goes amiss with my ethernet connection, I open a terminal and kill the current dhcpcd and then start a new one:

dhcpcd -k
dhcpcd

It works for me. Image

charlie6

Re: redundant network connection at startup ?

#1286 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Shep,
Shep wrote:
charlie6 wrote:... ethernet connection went broken for any reason... would have found a solution whitout need to reboot.
If something goes amiss with my ethernet connection, I open a terminal and kill the current dhcpcd and then start a new one:

dhcpcd -k
dhcpcd

It works for me
Thanks a lot ! That's what i needed :)
Charlie

linuph

#1287 Post by linuph »

pemasu and all

xset-ssm2: a xset screensaver written with BaCon 1.0 build 26
OS: Puppy Linux Dpup Exprimo 3.4.2 .12, using devx_squeeze.
Laptop i686 1GHz 512Mb. Executable is for i386 and above.

After I had a better understanding of how to use the xset screensaver (see my previous post), I wrote a BASH script to correctly handle it. Next I wanted to create a GUI.

I went for BaCon. Not only did I write the dialog with BaCon but also all other handling of xset.

I also wanted to write a help file to inform the user of how the program works, but then I realized that there is nothing better than a graphical representation of what the program is doing. Run the program to see what I mean.

The executable is in C and should run immediately.

The attached file contains:

- Icons: these reside in the same directory as the executable.
- The executable.
- The .bac source file.

Put the executable and icons in a directory of your choice and run it.

The program writes some default values to xset and creates settings file /root/.xsetsaved. After that, these settings can be retrieved, changed and saved again for a next boot. Any changes are on-the-fly and effective immediately, unless canceled.

I'm by no means an experienced programmer and a newby to BaCon (as I am to Puppy). My code is not very clean and efficient. I'm learning along the way. Nevertheless I wanted to share this program and am curious to hear if it works on your system. Maybe I missed something…

Note 1: the program assumes that /root/.xset.sh is present at boot and executed by pupx. Is that true for all Puppies? If /root/.xset.sh is not present, it will be generated.

Note2: xset knows two screensaver modes, regular screensaver mode and DPMS (power saving or Energy Star) mode. The first blanks the screen with or without a simple animation. The latter has three submodes of which I only use the "off" mode, while skipping "standby" and "suspend" mode. Originally, screensaver- and DPMS mode work in parallel. In my program, DPMS mode follows screensaver mode, time wise.

I look forward to any comments.
Attachments
xset-ssm-2.tar.gz
Update. Copy the icons to /usr/share/pixmaps.
(47.63 KiB) Downloaded 710 times

edoc

Audio distortion analyzer

#1288 Post by edoc »

Anyone using a native Linux/Puppy audio distortion analyzer?

Can you share a little about the contrast with a hardware device e.g. a HP 339a or an Amber 3501, please?

Thanks!

David
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

jpeps

#1289 Post by jpeps »

Here's an SFS for Iron-22.0.1250.0.Stable-for-Lucid that works for Exprimo.

DELETED

jpeps

#1290 Post by jpeps »

Rebuilt in Exprimo....it's 7M smaller and has a menu.

http://jpeters.net/apps/Iron-22.0.1250.0.Stable.sfs

193d299cc81b8e8d2a74ee15d1306021 Iron-22.0.1250.0.Stable.sfs

edoc

#1291 Post by edoc »

I tried the other one and it worked fine - really fast!

QUESTION: Does Google control the Chromium base or is that truly independent?

How may one trust that they won't embed a back door to presumed-private area and/or suddenly terminate the open-source updates?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Xtanova

#1292 Post by Xtanova »

Thanks jpeps

I use Iron browser myself because for me the chrome browser is the speediest, most friendly, yet the memory footprint is reasonable.

I guess Iron is actually forking Google Chrome, they removed the hidden services that Chrome installs. The browser size is bit large, but doesn't bloat the memory.

Iron browser Pet as compiled under Dpup Expimo 5.X.3.4.12 - size: 40MB

http://www.adrive.com/public/tHwynH/Iro ... 5_Dpup.pet

md5: 36cd7528cacb23baa4ce61577cb5e744

pemasu

#1293 Post by pemasu »

Thanks jpeps and Xtanova of Iron 22 sfs and pet.
I did use jpeps sfs and uploaded it to the exprimo repo.
I did strip it a little more and then I compressed it with -comp xz.
The result is now 30 Mb. :D

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... 0-dpup.sfs

jpeps

#1294 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote: I did strip it a little more and then I compressed it with -comp xz.
The result is now 30 Mb. :D

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... 0-dpup.sfs
Great...another 3M. I didn't strip any files, but used:

mksquashfs -comp xz -noI

jpeps

#1295 Post by jpeps »

I stripped...indeed, saves 3M

I just made a version for Spot (in keeping with discussion about running browsers in root). It likes to update .config prefs in root, however, so if you want to try running in Spot, initially chown the .config/iron files (e.g, startup wrapper).

jpeps

#1296 Post by jpeps »

edoc wrote:

How may one trust that they won't embed a back door to presumed-private area and/or suddenly terminate the open-source updates?
That might be difficult if you were running the browser in Spot or user. I think this is an increasing issue with any browser.

linuph

#1297 Post by linuph »

@pemasu

Which MPlayer version do we have in 5.X.3.4.12? MPlayer- h shows "MPlayer UNKNOWN-4.4.5". Could it be MPlayer2?

pemasu

#1298 Post by pemasu »

Mplayer is recent. It has been compiled from svn....after 1.1 was released. So...it is as new as it can be...with some modified options though. For example it uses my compiled external ffmpeg instead of internal libs.

It is Mplayer, not Mplayer2. When you compile from svn, the version information is sometimes obscure, as you noticed.

linuph

#1299 Post by linuph »

Thanks, pemasu. Similarly, what is the version of ffmpeg. --version shows "N-42316-gd3f4d7"

I'm looking to burn subtitles into video and would need ffmpeg libass for that which is not compiled into this version. I understand that I will run into trouble with this MPlayer version if I replace ffmpeg?

pemasu

#1300 Post by pemasu »

ffmpeg is basically 0.11.1. I compiled it from git after 0.11.1 was released.

I think that I compiled mplayer with libass support and I also included bluray support.
I dont remember if there is libass configure option for ffmpeg and was that included. Probably not.

Yep. Replacing Mplayer with version which has ffmpeg libs compiled in is needed.