Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
smil99

#341 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
You may want to rectify this:
After installing cinnamon, many menu entries are lost. For example, third level menu entries under 'Multimedia' do not appear at the expected places. However, they are visible when one clicks 'All Applications' at the top of the menu tree.
Nevertheless, I am loving Cinnamon, thanks to you. :D

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Jejy69

#342 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello !

I added a package for Xfce 4.8, on the website ! :)
However I recommend to use Carolina by Geoffrey and Elroy or ( Elroy and Geoffrey :lol: ) for a perfect Xfce puppy distribution.

mandibule2005, Wow, good job, I tried to get it working but without success for now. I will try to do qs you said, thanks :)

nufan, I begin to create a no-pae Lxpup based on the retro Precise tomorrow. :)
I think it will replace the venerable slacko version.
Thanks for your advice. :)

smil99, exact... Cinnamon's menu bug ? It seems it does not support sub-menus...
I will try to find something about it.

Thanks all !

pchan

Re: lxpup

#343 Post by pchan »

mandibule2005 wrote:Hello Pchan

On lxpup i install nvidia-glx-394.43-precisek3.2.29 from precise repo , thats for my gforce 6200 , reboot make a save file , install
cinnamonv3 , reboot install compiz-xfce4 reboot compiz was on

in the menu settings -- Appearance you change styles and icons and fonts and in the emerald settings you can change borders , you will have
to download some themes for emerald (google emerald themes) and click import that is it good luck.
Thanks for sharing. Since Jejy69 said that mensa high video is already installed, I might just go ahead and install compiz-xfce4 and see how it goes. I am surprised that we don't have to install python. maybe it is already installed in precise_lx. I wonder if it will work under lxde of mate or perhaps xfce? I am avoiding cinnamon at the moment because my netbook is not so powerful. when cinnamon for puppy becomes more stable and will not mess up my beautiful lxpup, I will have enough courage to try it.

The other thing I want to ask is : What should I do if i want to switch off compiz and return to lxde? Is it (ctrl+alt+backspace > xwin startlxde)?

In saluki, compiz provided a way to turn on and turn off under the control menu.

Thanks

Jejy69,

Look forward to the non pae precise version of lxpup!

mandibule2005

compiz

#344 Post by mandibule2005 »

hello I will try on another old computer today send you report if i succeed.

mandibule2005

Compiz

#345 Post by mandibule2005 »

I did not succeed with a old computer and older nvidia graphic card
GLX components missing Lxpup still very fast for this one.

P.S. Congrats for your web page !!!!

pchan

#346 Post by pchan »

Jejy69,

I have gone back and use slacko_multi for now. Your precise_lxpup is very well made but I find that precise itself is still in its very early stage. I might be wrong but I find that under precise, many pets and debs or even those from ubuntu will need modifications before they can work properly with precise puppy. It looks promising but it seems to be a new operating system by itself and not like lupu/lucid. Debs from ubuntu used to be very compatible for lupu.

But 01micko's slacko is at the moment very friendly so when i want slacko power, I use slacko_multi. When i want racy power i use saluki/carolina.

But who can deny Ubuntu's popularity! I used to also enjoy ubuntu 10.04 and I do notice that ubuntu precise, as an OS by itself, has some new power and speed to it. But for non technical users like myself, making older ubuntu's softwares to work with precise can be quite a struggle.

Luckily, you have also made slacko_multi to fall back on. Thanks!

Wow! I just realized that the xfce4 in your slacko_multi is not xfce4.8 but xfce4.10 (latest xfce4.10!!) Nice!

Jejy69

#347 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi,

mandibule2005, thanks for your try.
For the website, I improved Application entry. I think it's more polished.

pchan, you will can not use packages on the website with Slacko version which a bit out dated.

There is problem, I can't build and maintain 3 or 4 Lxpup version ?!
-Slacko 5.3
-Slacko 5.4
-Precise 5.4
-Precise 5.4 retro.

Will have to make a choice...

smil99

#348 Post by smil99 »

@jejy69
There is problem, I can't build and maintain 3 or 4 Lxpup version ?!
.... Will have to make a choice...
I would say go for Precise 5.4 since Ubuntu packages are always up to date. Besides, it is Barry's child at the moment.

On another note, Barry's Openshot (also found here at the forum Openshot 1.4.3 precise) for precise works okay on Barry's precise puppy 5.4. However, it fails in Precise Lxpup 11.12 apparently due to _glib.so mismatch.
Openshot installs a 67Kb _glib.so at /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/glib/ while Precise Lxpup 11.12 comes already with a 65Kb _glib.so (needed by cinnamon-settings to wok) found at /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/glib/. Openshot works if one replaces the original _glib.so in Precise Lxpup 11.12 with that installed by openshot. This breaks cinnamon-settings. The reverse also holds true. That is, cinnamon-settings work if one keeps the original and deletes the one installed by openshot. Thus, both openshot and cinnamon-settings do not work at the same time.
Any ideas as to how to solve this problem?

PS:
I just found out that openshot works in Precise Lxpup 11.12 when cinnamon is not installed. This means Cinnamon's 65Kb _glib.so conflicts with that of openshot which is 67Kb.

Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Sat 03 Nov 2012, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

vicmz

#349 Post by vicmz »

I agree, Precise is the way to go. 8)
By the way, I love Precise LXpup. :D
I'm running a frugal install with Pupsaveconfig 2.2.5, it's amazing how fast it is! And stunning, too. :D
At my first install sound disappeared, but my second install has a working sound, so I wonder what did I install to get the sound cut :shock: (I installed audacious and then set it as default through Defaults-Chooser, right now I'm using DeaDBeeF and have no problems).Of course, I installed the Spanish langpack, so that I can check what new translations have to be added. LXpup control center is in English, where can I get a file to translate it?
Something strange, after installing Pupsaveconfig I can't reboot by clicking the Reboot button, I have to Log Out to command prompt and type reboot then press ENTER key (same for Power Off). Could anyone confirm this?
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

pchan

#350 Post by pchan »

Jejy69 wrote:Hi,

pchan, you will can not use packages on the website with Slacko version which a bit out dated.
Jejy69,

Oh Ok, I went to slacko_lxde and now back to precise_lxpup. I know you have the abilities but you have to make a choice and I think it is better that way.

Yes, it is a wise choice because of ubuntu support and Barry K is behind it.

I understand that soon BarryK will release Service pack 1. Precise is work in progress and it is progressing quite quickly.

By the way, I installed langpack_ja-1.5b.sfs (shinobar's scim Japanese input with anthy japanese dictionary). after setting the tool bar to switch bwtween english and Japanese to always appear on desktop, it worked ok.

The problem is when i open up leafpad, right click, go to input methods, I couldn't find a menu where I can choose SCIM input method.

In BarryK's precise5.4, the menu to change input methods is available.

In Chrome browser, when i right click on the box to input texts, i also can't find the menu where I am allowed to change the input methods to SCIM input. The menu that appeared just gave the option : System / none / simple. only.

It will be very helpful if you can just take a look into it and maybe it is not so difficult for you to find out how to make the input methods available.

It will help a lot.

Thanks!

rg66

#351 Post by rg66 »

Hey Jejy69, nice one on the Precise LX pup.

Pnethood and pfind are still defaulted to use ROX, how can I change this to Pcmanfm?
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

peebee

#352 Post by peebee »

rg66 wrote:Hey Jejy69, nice one on the Precise LX pup.

Pnethood and pfind are still defaulted to use ROX, how can I change this to Pcmanfm?
Hi rg66

You don't need to use pnethood in lxpup - you can just put

Code: Select all

smb://sharename
into the white "address" bar in pcmanfm....replacing sharename with your setup info

an alternative if you're happy to do away with rox is to edit /usr/local/bin/rox as follows:

#!/bin/sh
#exec /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/AppRun "$@"
exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm
Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rcrsn51

#353 Post by rcrsn51 »

peebee wrote:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm
This would be better:

exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm "$@"
I tested this with YASSM, which uses ROX, and it was seamless.

vicmz

#354 Post by vicmz »

Hello Pchan,
You may want to read this thread, it explains how to install SCIM .pet packages:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78917
If your locale is not jp, ko or zh you need to edit a configuration file. Find the file

/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules

Open this file with Geany or some other text editor. The file should contain a line at the bottom that reads

"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "scim" "/usr/share/locale" "ja:ko:zh"

Add your own locale to this line. For example if your locale is en, the line should read

"scim" "SCIM Input Method" "scim" "/usr/share/locale" "ja:ko:zh:en"

After a reboot you should have a working IME. Launch Geany or some similar program, select a Japanese font and type ctrl+space to activate Anthy. The Anthy taskbar should appear in the bottom right corner of the screen.

My thanks to shinobar for providing the last piece of the jigsaw.
(It must be .pet package because SFS file is read-only, then you won't be able to edit gtk.immodules)

okwellthen

That's what I get for asking a sincere question...

#355 Post by okwellthen »

...I really wanted to know... now it's listed all over the place... see tuxmachines.org, etc...

1) Sir Jerome rated 'highly recommended!'

2) And my questions answered!!!!

Thanks to Jerome .... :D

CHECK IT OUT > http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2012/1 ... -lxde.html[/url]

rg66

#356 Post by rg66 »

peebee wrote: Hi rg66

You don't need to use pnethood in lxpup - you can just put

smb://sharename
into the white "address" bar in pcmanfm....replacing sharename with your setup info

an alternative if you're happy to do away with rox is to edit /usr/local/bin/rox as follows:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm
Cheers
peebee
rcrsn51 wrote: This would be better:

exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm "$@"

I tested this with YASSM, which uses ROX, and it was seamless.
Thanks peebee and rcrsn51, this is the first puppy I've tried that smb:// actually worked! Because of that I never even bothered to try it.

Adding exec /usr/bin/pcmanfm "$@" fixed Pnethood but now pfind won't open either of them. I'm finding pfind very buggy anyway, lockups and after a search pressing advanced search, for example, puts a window inside of the search results.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

pchan

#357 Post by pchan »

I have installed Mate, Xfce, Cinnamon but I find myself enjoying Lxde most of the time.

If only I know how to install compiz to run with Lxde as well as get the Japanese input system working.

vicmz ,

thanks for the information about getting SCIM Japanese text input system to work. No, I have not yet done the steps because it requires the installations of a few pets :

From the Japanese repository, download and install
  • lang_pack_ja-lupq-0.5.pet
    scim-1.4.9.pup4.4.2.2.1.pet
    scim-anthy-1.2.7.pup4.4.2.2.1.pet
    anthy-9100h.patch13Bptn23.2009527.1.pet
I don't know yet if these pets can be used for Precise or not.

Under Barry K's precise puppy linux, by installing
  • lang_pack_ja-precise-fix-beta2-1.pet
    lang_pack_ja-1.5b.sfs
(I found in lang_pack_ja-1.5b.sfs in http://101.143.162.62/puppy/precise/
and lang_pack_ja-precise-fix-beta2-1.pet in
http://101.143.162.62/puppy/precise/test/)

and I could use SCIM (smart common input method) to input Japanese texts for Chrome browser, Leafpad, (others?)

mandibule2005

Compiz-fusion

#358 Post by mandibule2005 »

Hello Pchan take a look there [/url]http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 630[url]it may help[/url]

After some test i was able to have beryl and emerald on lxpup
on a very old nvidia card but these 2 files will need tweaking from Jejy69.

On a live boot , install the 2 files say yes to beryl message
after ctrl+alt+backspace type xorgwizard choose , i choose nouveau
nvidia the resolution and type xwin ,beryl and emerald should be there , as you can see there is the precise icons on the desktop
but you can still play with compiz and emerald after a save file
i was capable to start it back right click on the red diamond and Select Window manager and beryl.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 907#508902
Go to this site download python_for_CCSM-2.pet for lucid and
Beryl-0.2.1-9-SINGLE_GO-p43nl5-i686.pet
good luck let me know if you have success.

mandibule2005

Snap

#359 Post by mandibule2005 »

mandibule2005

Backgrounds

#360 Post by mandibule2005 »

I did not know how to change background i install this file from precise work ok.
Attachments
simple_wall_set-0.6-noarch.pet
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 626 times