Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 08:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Other Distros
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 52 of 110 [1645 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012, 20:14    Post subject:  

I am not a proponent for Microsoft or Apple. Or, even Linux. I can use them all for productive work.

I am a proponent for ease of use and "simple user use" of every system design and implementation I've ever been a part of.

One of the things that I find important is the understanding of the design intent by what is put forward for enterprise, business, consumer, casual use.

In doing so, I try as best as I can to guide people on need (requirements) and on desire (Ihow user(s) like to work) as being the MOST important approaches.

One of the most recent changes in the technology landscape is being introduced this week by Microsoft in its Surface and its Window8. The IT landscape is moving to Tablet orientations started by Apple. We are on the doorstep of a in your hand revolution that has gotten much traction in enterprises and governments this year with its roots starting from users using seemingly easy to understand devices in their hands.

One of the problems many of us will have is understanding and keeping clear on what Microsoft is offering. There are 2 CPU versions of Windows8s that kinda look like twins. They are not, but, its important to understand what one has over the other.

Here some understanding
and, there are several others that have posted this week, too.

Again, I MUST RE-iterate....This is neither a recommendation or an endorsement of Apple or Microsoft or LInux or REACTOS or UNIX or .... Its just some information for community understanding.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 10:39    Post subject: Other Distros
Subject description: Bodhi 2.1.0

I installed Bodhi 2.1.0 64 bit version, using gnome.
I like it.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   61.85 KB
 Viewed   1124 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 14:37    Post subject:  

nitehawk wrote:
James C,..
VectorLinux has always been my all-time favorite for a "bigger" distro than Puppy (when I need a bigger distro than Puppy, that is...which isn't too often). However,....my VectorLinux 7 standard install CD seems to have gotten corrupted somehow. It no longer will install <alas> Crying or Very sad

I have just broke down and installed Slackware 14,....then used a LOT of the apps off of the VectorLinux CD to "flesh out" Slackware. Stuff like Opera,...Flash,...Win32 codecs,...and the Wine package, (from the Salix repositories). Seems to work fine.

Plus,...Doing a full install of Slackware,..with KDE and the KDEgames (then using just the smaller XFCE desktop)...gives me the games for my grandson,....but a smaller DE for me. But I actually prefer VectorLinix over Slackware.

Sounds good; I've got an old release candidate of Slack 14 somewhere that I've been meaning to install.

I've always liked Vector too, but these days I feel it's underdeveloped. For example, it offers you a choice of window managers other than the default XFce, which is good, but if you choose Fluxbox the menu isn't set up properly for the apps which come with it; you have to do that yourself.

And for some strange reason the default app for opening pdf files is gimp (a problem it shares with some arch-based distros).

I've reinstalled AntiX but am having trouble installing any new apps (!), so I'm off to their forum next to find out how to access some more repos.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct 2012, 05:57    Post subject: Other Distros
Subject description: Ubuntu 12.10

I installed ubuntu 12.10 64 bit version on a newer hp desktop.
It's fast and running well althought a popup wanting a bug report came
up a couple of times, to do with compiz.

EDIT: I added mint 13 xfce4 to another partition on the hard drive and it's working well.
Bodhi,Ubuntu 12.10, and Mint 13 xfce4 are all nice, I think Mint is the one that I'll use most.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   188.68 KB
 Viewed   922 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   116.41 KB
 Viewed   1044 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 23:50; edited 1 time in total
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct 2012, 07:51    Post subject:  

When it comes to Ubuntu, I prefer the latest LTS release over the current releases. It saves me a lot of time.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:32    Post subject:  

Two duds (on my machine) to report unfortunately.

Snow Linux 3.1 was a great live disk but unfortunately it stalled when I tried to install it and didn't install completely (could have been a bad burn I suppose but then why did it work well live?).

Watt OS6 was one I wanted to like because I really like the way it looks, but I couldn't get sound working on it or install any new software. Oh well.

James C

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct 2012, 01:16    Post subject:  

Rosa 2012 Gnome......still Gnome 2 and legacy Grub.Longtime Mandriva user so I'll give this a try.......

http://www.koryavov.net/2012/08/rosa-marathon-2012-gnome-edition-final.html
Rosa-2012.png
 Description   
 Filesize   114.07 KB
 Viewed   830 Time(s)

Rosa-2012.png

cowboy

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct 2012, 22:44    Post subject: linux lite anyone  

Linux Lite anyone? Well reviewed in PC World about a week back, XFCE desktop, based on Ubuntu LTS. 5 years of updates, theoretically.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lite

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013183/for-a-beginner-friendly-distro-try-linux-lite-1-0-0.html

dennis-slacko531

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov 2012, 02:26    Post subject: I found an Arch Live CD today with Fluxbox  

James C

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov 2012, 02:41    Post subject: Re: I found an Arch Live CD today with Fluxbox  

Quote:
It is 620MB... I've been trying to better learn Arch this is educational and strictly a live cd distro. Too bad the developer didn't consider frugal installation, but he added powerful scripts and easily installed on my 3rd ext4 partition. It was then I discovered no apps get installed, just a base Arch with Fluxbox, which is I guess the Arch way...

It may get refreshed soon, as it's about 20 months old now. Hope he believes in frugal installs like us.

http://fluxcapacity.99k.org//index.php?content=about

Fixed the post... Smile

Had an extra space in the url.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov 2012, 02:54    Post subject:  

Just a quick update; I managed to get Snow Linux installed on my machine. Second time lucky I guess.

Chakra's pretty good too, although the repository's a bit limited for anyone used to a Debian-based distro.

James C

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov 2012, 15:08    Post subject:  

Recently installed Absolute 14.0 on an old P3.
http://www.absolutelinux.org/

Based on the latest Slackware 14...... kernel 3.2.29. Not bad on this old slow machine.And allows running as root too. Smile
screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   246.5 KB
 Viewed   649 Time(s)

screenshot.png

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2012, 06:49    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Recently installed Absolute 14.0 on an old P3.
http://www.absolutelinux.org/

Based on the latest Slackware 14...... kernel 3.2.29. Not bad on this old slow machine.And allows running as root too. Smile

Yeah, Absolute is a good Slack-based distro, and I really like the games on it (Anagramarama, Concentration and Icebreaker). I wish other distros had those even in the repos.

Has it got package management yet though? In the earlier version of Absolute I tried, you pretty much had to install packages from source and work out the dependencies yourself (the main bugbear with Slackware and its derivatives)

nooby

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2012, 16:46    Post subject:  

I wish I could test latest version of Core-Plus 4.7
they tell about it on Distrowatch. Talk about smc?
whatever that is. I don't dare to ask anything on
their forum anymore. They don't like reluctant noobs
that ask same thing again and again and still not get it.

Jim1911

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov 2012, 19:58    Post subject: Windows 8 Pro  

I definitely prefer puppy, but the good news is that setting up and exploring Windows 8 is relatively cheap and easy. You can buy five upgrade licenses for $40. The official site states that you can upgrade from XP, Vista, or Win7. I upgraded my copy of Vista which went fine and after installation I used Fatdog 64 to reinstall grub4dos so that I could boot all my linux os. It's working great, although it was time consuming because for a Vista upgrade, all extra software has to be reinstalled. Vista users should consider the upgrade, XP or Windows 7 users probably would not benefit unless they like the new look and feel.

JIm
Page 52 of 110 [1645 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: