Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 31 Oct 2014, 07:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
VirtualBox for many Puppies
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 10 of 13 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Author Message
tiangeng

Joined: 23 Jul 2009
Posts: 63
Location: 河南 China

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2012, 20:49    Post_subject:  

Quote:
You really like the older stuff, huh?


Yes, the Virtualbox 2.2.x is good enough for me! Very Happy

Quote:
Next I suppose you'll ask for 1.6.6, eh?


Virtualbox 1.6.6 ?
No,no,no,It's too older!
I like the 2.2.x series.
Thank you again!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
TheAsterisk!


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 403
Location: SE Wisconsin, US

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2012, 17:37    Post_subject:  

I know I'm a bit behind, but I've been trying to resolve hosting issues with my little website, and I'll also need to take down my Dropbox mirror. (The mirror hosted on SilverDollarSolutions.com will still be available, and another will be brought online within a week or so to take the Dropbox mirror's place.) Until that's done, don't expect too much in the way of updates.

Sorry! I hope you all can understand, and have abundant patience!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 4380
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 20:52    Post_subject: Let your Google ID help with your distributions  

This is just an idea that may help you in distribution.

Have you thought of using your Google ID for files you want to distribute.
  1. Login to your ID at Drive.Google.com
  2. Create a folder
  3. upload your files that you want others to access (do not let Google modify to its format)
  4. Set the rights; EITHER on the folder you created or on the file(s) you uploaded.
  5. On the forum or anywhere on the internet, make the URL to the file-folder available.
Simple. (Excepting for the likes of IBM, Google is the fastest transfer site in the world.)

Please don't mis-interpret my message as to be used as a REPO site. I am not. But, for some PETs/SFSs/documentation, this can be an ideal solution and helper.

Here to help

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engine or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
drblock2

Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2012, 17:50    Post_subject: Slack 5.4 PAE 3.4.17
Sub_title: Glorious Success!
 

The Alternative Sourced-Based Installer works magnificently in Slack 5.4 PAE k3.4.17, where the Oracle run files that worked satisfactorily on earlier Puppies fail miserably - leading to hardware freeze.

I have reported on this here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=669416#669416

Many thanks to TheAsterisk!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
TheAsterisk!


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 403
Location: SE Wisconsin, US

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012, 18:27    Post_subject: Re: Let your Google ID help with your distributions  

gcmartin wrote:
This is just an idea that may help you in distribution.

...


Nice to know, and I'll keep it in mind. Otherwise, I've now set up a dedicated website with its own mirror of all my packages. I can update this one by hand and directly, with an FTP upload of the revised files as needed, so it shouldn't be an issue any more.

Thank you for the thought, though!
drblock2 wrote:
The Alternative Sourced-Based Installer works magnificently in Slack 5.4 PAE k3.4.17, where the Oracle run files that worked satisfactorily on earlier Puppies fail miserably - leading to hardware freeze.

I have reported on this here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=669416#669416

Many thanks to TheAsterisk!

Happy to help! I'll be uploading some proper packages for Slacko 5.4 and a couple of other Puppies either later tonight or early tomorrow, too. I've been a bit too busy with work and family and paying for a replacement car lately, but I'll try to catch up with Puppy's inexorable march of progress very soon! Good to hear that my universal x86 installer is working well, though, even on puppies that I haven't actually tested myself yet!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1073

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec 2012, 13:57    Post_subject:  

TheAsterisk! wrote:
I know I'm a bit behind, but I've been trying to resolve hosting issues with my little website, and I'll also need to take down my Dropbox mirror. (The mirror hosted on SilverDollarSolutions.com will still be available, and another will be brought online within a week or so to take the Dropbox mirror's place.) Until that's done, don't expect too much in the way of updates.

Sorry! I hope you all can understand, and have abundant patience!


perhaps I'm late to the party... but have you ever just considered setting up a sourceforge account? What you are dealing with is OSS, so it'd be allowed.

_________________



Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
TheAsterisk!


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 403
Location: SE Wisconsin, US

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2012, 19:00    Post_subject:  

VirtualBox 4.2.6 packages are completed, including some for the newer Slacko and Precise releases, but probably won't be uploaded until tomorrow afternoon. I'll be back to update the thread soon!

Q5sys wrote:
TheAsterisk! wrote:
I know I'm a bit behind, but I've been trying to resolve hosting issues with my little website, and I'll also need to take down my Dropbox mirror. (The mirror hosted on SilverDollarSolutions.com will still be available, and another will be brought online within a week or so to take the Dropbox mirror's place.) Until that's done, don't expect too much in the way of updates.

Sorry! I hope you all can understand, and have abundant patience!


perhaps I'm late to the party... but have you ever just considered setting up a sourceforge account? What you are dealing with is OSS, so it'd be allowed.

Not a bad idea, actually; I'd just assumed that they only allowed that for original or forked code, i.e., not mere package maintenance. As things stand now, though, it's no longer an issue, but it's certainly something to keep in mind. Thanks for the interest and the suggestion!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
TheAsterisk!


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 403
Location: SE Wisconsin, US

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan 2013, 16:06    Post_subject:  

Fully updated all mirrors and website, etc., to VirtualBox 4.2.6! I also added a combined SFS4 module for most Precise, Slacko and Lucid releases, as well as Puppy 431 and the latest Quirky/Racy/Wary releases.

(There was also some minimal reorganization. For instance, the NLS packages' files are no longer distinct between the x86 and amd64 releases, so it's now a single, properly agnostic package.)

TheAsterisk! wrote:
I'll be back to update the thread soon!

I have a very flexible definition of "soon", apparently!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
step

Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan 2013, 03:40    Post_subject:  

Thanks for these packages! Unfortunately I can't download from your site:
Quote:

$ wget http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/PuppyLinux/asterisk/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs
--08:35:38-- http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/PuppyLinux/asterisk/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs => `virtualbox-4.2.6-86.sfs4.sfs'
Resolving www.silverdollarsolutions.com... 68.180.151.75
Connecting to www.silverdollarsolutions.com|68.180.151.75|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
08:35:42 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
CatDude


Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 1488
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan 2013, 05:02    Post_subject:  

Hello step

step wrote:
Thanks for these packages! Unfortunately I can't download from your site:
Quote:

$ wget http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/PuppyLinux/asterisk/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs
--08:35:38-- http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/PuppyLinux/asterisk/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs => `virtualbox-4.2.6-86.sfs4.sfs'
Resolving www.silverdollarsolutions.com... 68.180.151.75
Connecting to www.silverdollarsolutions.com|68.180.151.75|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
08:35:42 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

So use the first link Guide, by VirtualBox release version
instead of the Mirror link
and you will find that it is working: http://www.theasterisk.tk/repository/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs

CatDude
.

_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
step

Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 196

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan 2013, 07:23    Post_subject:  

CatDude wrote:

So use the first link Guide, by VirtualBox release version
instead of the Mirror link
and you will find that it is working: http://www.theasterisk.tk/repository/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs
.
Thanks CatDude, got it now!

The source of my confusion was that I didn't start browsing from the links in the first post. Instead I started browsing the mirror site, which I landed onto from another thread. So I wasn't aware that silverdollarsolutions.com is a mirror of theasterisk.tk, and since most other download links on the mirror site do work - bar the one I reported - I came back to this forum post to look for help.

To add to the confusion even more, there's http://theasterisk.droppages.com/ which looks very similar to theasterisk.tk - but isn't quite the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
TheAsterisk!


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 403
Location: SE Wisconsin, US

PostPosted: Tue 05 Mar 2013, 19:41    Post_subject:  

VirtualBox 4.2.8 packages forthcoming! Just have to make some for the 64-bit Puppies, then upload the whole litter! I've added support for Wary and Racy 550, as well as for Saluki 023, too.

Come to think of it, I might give a try on that new Quirky release, too. No promises, though. Wink

step wrote:
CatDude wrote:

So use the first link Guide, by VirtualBox release version
instead of the Mirror link
and you will find that it is working: http://www.theasterisk.tk/repository/VirtualBox/4.2.6/virtualbox-4.2.6-x86.sfs4.sfs
.
Thanks CatDude, got it now!

The source of my confusion was that I didn't start browsing from the links in the first post. Instead I started browsing the mirror site, which I landed onto from another thread. So I wasn't aware that silverdollarsolutions.com is a mirror of theasterisk.tk, and since most other download links on the mirror site do work - bar the one I reported - I came back to this forum post to look for help.

To add to the confusion even more, there's http://theasterisk.droppages.com/ which looks very similar to theasterisk.tk - but isn't quite the same.

Yeah, my hosting has been a mess for the last few months. I finally went to paid hosting- like I should have done so very long ago- and things have been pretty good since. The issue in question (see above) may actually have been that the server SilverDollarSolutions.com uses doesn't let anyone download SFS files for some odd reason, so I have to zip them, and I may simply have forgotten to do that before. Sorry!

Anyway, I'm still in the process of fully uploading a mirror of my packages to my new host. My Internet connection at the moment is either the WiFi at work or at one of several fast food places or a diner, so it's been very slow progress at times.

As for Droppages.com- the darn thing would go weeks without updating itself as it was supposed to, so I just canned that, but I couldn't get the service to stop hosting my site for a while, even though I had been dropped from their service. As of a couple of weeks ago, though, "theasterisk.droppages.com" ceased to be. www.theasterisk.tk is it- just check the website button associated with my account on these forums if in doubt!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
drblock2

Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Wed 06 Mar 2013, 17:11    Post_subject: Slacko 5.5  

Just downloaded and installed Slacko 5.5 with the 3.2.33 kernel. The virtualbox-x86_src.install.pet (with devx and kernel sources installed) worked magnificently.

Three more cheers for The Asterix!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Fabio T

Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Apr 2013, 06:18    Post_subject: Re: VirtualBox for many Puppies
Sub_title: virtual machine dot-pets
 

Hi, I want to create a .sfs package of Virtualbox 4.2.12.

It seems difficult to compile source code from Virtualbox source download (./configure complains that lacks Open Watcom module).

Can You tell me what can I do to make it?

I've tried with .deb package, it works but I want to load it as a .sfs.

It is the correct way?

Thank You


TheAsterisk! wrote:
Latest 4-series release: 4.2.6
Latest 3-series release: 3.2.14


My Packages:
Guide, by VirtualBox release version
Mirror

Alternate VirtualBox Packages:
shinobar's VirtualBox 4.2.2 SFS module


My packages are mainly dot-pets, but there is a combined SFS4 module available for several 32-bit Puppy releases as well. (Most Precise, Slacko, and Lucid releases are supported, as well as Puppy 431 and the most recent releases of Quirky, Wary and Racy.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
rasul

Joined: 08 Sep 2012
Posts: 18
Location: Tehran, Iran

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013, 10:05    Post_subject: it worked also on Upup Raring 3.8.4.2  

TheAsterisk!
Thanks, your package also worked on Upup Raring 3.8.4.2 with the src version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 10 of 13 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1148s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0125s) ][ GZIP on ]