Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
smokey01

#301 Post by smokey01 »

pchan you misunderstood me.

In vlc, select tools from the toolbar.

Then Preferences.

Then Video. Under Output select the drop-down and choose X11.

See attached graphic.

If X11 doesn't work try another option.
Attachments
vlc.jpg
(47.03 KiB) Downloaded 865 times

pchan

#302 Post by pchan »

smokey01 wrote:pchan you misunderstood me.

In vlc, select tools from the toolbar.

Then Preferences.

Then Video. Under Output select the drop-down and choose X11.

See attached graphic.

If X11 doesn't work try another option.
The problem is I get no Vlc GUI at all just the sound coming from from my precise lx orange desktop. In order to close the sound i had to pull up task manager and close/kill vlc.

Tonight, i will try rebooting after install and see if the "vlc gui" will appear. Without vlc gui (grapher user interface), there is no tool bar with items to click on. :)

smokey01

#303 Post by smokey01 »

pchan, sorry I missed the no gui in your original explanation.

Where did you get the vlc and qt packages, was it from the new LXPet?

pchan

#304 Post by pchan »

Yes, from Lxpet. I have also tried downloading the pet to my netbook and install it manually. the vlc program appears under utility menu. When i click directly on it, nothing opens up. But under task manager, of course, i can see that the program has started.

smokey01

#305 Post by smokey01 »

pchan, I haven't tried the Precise version but have the Slacko version.

When I installed LXpet-1.1 or 1.2 it wouldn't run as python was not installed.

I then installed VLC and QT but there was still a missing dependency to glibc I think and one other for VLC.

Hopefully Jerome will have seen these posts and is working on a fix.

It looks like a distro with potential.

Jejy69

#306 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello all !
I'm late...

First, I will remove 'LXpet', I think it's not practical at all.
Simply because I can't update LXpet already downloaded, and create a LXpet each time I add or fix a package, = waste of time.

I create a Menu on the site, to download package, simply click on it, and install.
I think it's better than LXpet, since I can update, and put categories.
http://lxpup.weebly.com/applications.html
I added :
-Game World of Padman 1.6
-LibreOffice 3.6.2
-VLC downgraded to 2.0.3, normally fix Pchan's issues.
I read posts but could not intervene since I was at school.

BAD point, Cinnamon...
It seems that this is not tip top ....
Can you answer these questions please?
-Cinnamon crashes after a reboot, or some reboot ?
-Did you install other applications?
-Hardware acceleration enabled/works ?
-When, Cinnamon crashes, could you start LXDE session ( xwin startlxde ), if yes, start lxde session, run a terminal, and type 'gnome-session-cinnamon'. What is displayed?

Thanks you :)

@mikeslr, WMswitcher is good idea, I will ask to creators thanks.

@Pchan, Mesa is already installed in Precise. :)

@smokey01, Q5sys thank you to be present, and help others and myself!

Thanks all for yours reports, help, advices ! :D

peebee

#307 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:I create a Menu on the site, to download package, simply click on it, and install.
I think it's better than LXpet, since I can update, and put categories.
http://lxpup.weebly.com/applications.html
I added :
Hi Jejy69

If you want to update to Chromium24:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 962#659962

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#308 Post by Jejy69 »

Super !

Thanks you ! :D
Can I use your E-nautia link directly ?

Ray MK

#309 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Jerome -
A truly outstanding combination of Puppy and supporting website.

This is one of the best presented Puppy’s ever - Many thanks and extremely well done.

The help pages, with easy access to applications and the forum are also very welcome.

One small issue (potentially big issue for n00b’s) was that SNS wifi setup didn’t work. So I used Nathens wifi setup and am posting from that now.
I realize that this seems to be a common issue with some recent puppy’s and is not your fault.

Will reboot and try again later and experiment with Frisbee etc.

Your efforts in producing a beautifully presented Puppy are much appreciated. Many thanks and very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

peebee

#310 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:Super !

Can I use your E-nautia link directly ?
Of course :D - you prompted me to look at and use e-nautia (which is very good)

Please link to Thunderbird as well if that is of interest?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79429
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#311 Post by Jejy69 »

Wow, really great! Thunderbird added !
Thanks you ! :D :D

It is true that e-nautia is good, 10GB, fast dl.
I ignored that you had discovered it through my ancient uploads. :)

Hello Ray MK !
A truly outstanding combination of Puppy and supporting website.

This is one of the best presented Puppy’s ever - Many thanks and extremely well done.

The help pages, with easy access to applications and the forum are also very welcome.

One small issue (potentially big issue for n00b’s) was that SNS wifi setup didn’t work. So I used Nathens wifi setup and am posting from that now.
I realize that this seems to be a common issue with some recent puppy’s and is not your fault.

Will reboot and try again later and experiment with Frisbee etc.
It is true that I wanted to especially emphasize the accessibility, do not look far what we want to know.
Please, if you install Frisbee, install this patch
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=60752
It fixes the gtk themes, all Puppy apps, like Pmount, and Frisbee too for example.

Have a nice day !

peebee

#312 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:It is true that e-nautia is good, 10GB, fast dl.
I ignored that you had discovered it through my ancient uploads. :)
The best thing is it allows ftp access and therefore integrates beautifully with Mate Places and Caja

Thank you for both!!

Cheers
peebee

Jejy69

#313 Post by Jejy69 »

With pleasure!

Lol, I discover now that PCManFM supports ftp ... :shock:
You must type in the bar at the top: 'ftp://exemple.com'
Attachments
capture27895.jpg
(96.23 KiB) Downloaded 664 times

pchan

#314 Post by pchan »

Jejy69 ,

Very happy to report that the vlc 2.03 is working perfectly.

And it is a nice surprise to hear that mensa is already installed.
It's getting better than expected already.

And yes, thanks for bringing to my attention that PcManfm supports FTP.

I have yet to try cinnamon though I am looking forward to do so.

If anything gets messed up my knowledge is at the moment not enough in order to find my way back to the way it is now. And the way it is now is great!

But of course, I am adventurous enough to take the plunge of installing cinnamon if there is a way to make it greater. And with what i see, if anybody can do it, it will most likely be you.

BTW, I don't see xfce4 in windows chooser for precise LX? Xfce is also a very comfortable and customisable window environment to use. If it is not possible, it's OK. Having the choices of Mate, Lxde, KDE, cinnamon on puppy linux is already a great innovative jump. Thanks.

peebee

#315 Post by peebee »

Hi Jejy69

You have labelled the link to Chromium24 on the download website incorrectly as Chrome22......

Thanks
peebee

Jejy69

#316 Post by Jejy69 »

Ups, right, it'fixed. :)
I added three packages :
-Abiword 2.9.2
-Skype 4.0.0.8
-Amsn 0.98.9

Hello pchan,

glad that the VLC package works, thank you. :)
If anything gets messed up my knowledge is at the moment not enough in order to find my way back to the way it is now. And the way it is now is great!

But of course, I am adventurous enough to take the plunge of installing cinnamon if there is a way to make it greater. And with what i see, if anybody can do it, it will most likely be you.
Thank you very much, I'm sure we can make cinnamon fully functional, you're help is welcome ! :D
if I can help you with something, do not hesitate.

About Xfce, normally, it will come, I work on it, but I have some issues to fix, for example, impossible to change a theme. :?
The basic theme stay, and it's a little ugly... :lol:

peebee

#317 Post by peebee »

Wow - just gets better and better....

Samba shares work as well:

smb://sharename

and both ftp and smb can be bookmarked for future access

GREAT!
Attachments
capture13386.png
(31.38 KiB) Downloaded 1781 times

mandibule2005

cinnamon

#318 Post by mandibule2005 »

I had success with cinnamon after installing Nvidia-Glx fron precise repo
thanks

But after reboot broke again :(

Jejy69

#319 Post by Jejy69 »

Pcmanfm is a small cachotier, it hides some interesting options :lol: !

Hi mandibule2005,
thanks for your report, do you saved your session and reboot ?
Just to know if your Cinnamon installation works after your reboot. :)

EDIT : ok, don't understand why it crashes... :cry: Thanks

2 more apps in Lxpup software center :
-Filezilla 3.5.3
-Astromenace 1.3.0

smil99

#320 Post by smil99 »

Hi jejy69,
When, Cinnamon crashes, could you start LXDE session ( xwin startlxde ), if yes, start lxde session, run a terminal, and type 'gnome-session-cinnamon'. What is displayed?
1. After installing cinnamon on a pristine precise-lxpup-11.12, typing 'gnome-session-cinnamon' at the terminal gave the following error message:
# gnome-session-cinnamon
gnome-session[10402]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
gnome-session[10402]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
gnome-session[10402]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'drive-optical.png'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[10402]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/bluetooth-applet.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'bluetooth.svg'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[10402]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/lxpolkit.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'mini-BuildingBlock.xpm'(should not include extension)

** (lxpolkit:10410): CRITICAL **: polkit_agent_listener_register_with_options: assertion `POLKIT_IS_SUBJECT (subject)' failed

(lxpolkit:10410): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
2. After installing cinnamon on a pristine precise-lxpup-11.12, restarting X and typing 'xwin gnome-session-cinnamon' at the command prompt started cinnamon alright. However, after rebooting, one is greeted with the ' Oh no! Something has gone wrong ' error message. Restarting X with 'xwin startlxde' brings back lxde session and typing 'gnome-session-cinnamon' at the terminal gives the following error message:
# gnome-session-cinnamon
gnome-session[13729]: libupower-glib-WARNING: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[13729]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[13729]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[13729]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/bluetooth-applet.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'bluetooth.svg'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[13729]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'drive-optical.png'(should not include extension)
gnome-session[13729]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/etc/xdg/autostart/lxpolkit.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'mini-BuildingBlock.xpm'(should not include extension)
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).

** (lxpolkit:13737): CRITICAL **: polkit_agent_listener_register_with_options: assertion `POLKIT_IS_SUBJECT (subject)' failed

(lxpolkit:13737): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]