Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#281 Post by Geoffrey »

okokoook wrote:hi i am currently using the carolina 002, everything looks fine. i see the default action of opening the folder in thunar is by single click with underlining the folder name in shadow. i was just wondering could anyone tell me how to config the action back to double click opening the folder with no shadow and underline.

thank you in advance.

michael
Thunar Edit > Preferences > Behavior
Attachments
single_double_click.jpg
(43.13 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

okokoook

#282 Post by okokoook »

Geoffrey wrote:
okokoook wrote:hi i am currently using the carolina 002, everything looks fine. i see the default action of opening the folder in thunar is by single click with underlining the folder name in shadow. i was just wondering could anyone tell me how to config the action back to double click opening the folder with no shadow and underline.

thank you in advance.

michael
Thunar Edit > Preferences > Behavior
thank you Geoffrey, carolina is an excellent work, i am looking forward to Carolina 003. :P

Wognath

boots to black screen

#283 Post by Wognath »

elroy, Geoffrey and all,
A frugal install of Carolina on my Lenovo netbook gets to "loading kernel modules", then the screen goes black. No response to blind typing "xorgwizard", "reboot" etc. I have tried 002 full and both lite versions with the same result. This is probably a peculiarity of my processor (VIA Nano U2250 - PAE) since I had almost the same problem with some versions of Fatdog (500 and 600 don't work, 520 does!?!) If you have any ideas, I'll give them a try, but this is mostly fyi--it's an oddball processor and maybe a later version will magically work!

Carolina runs on my daughter's computer, which has an Atom processor, so I'll be able to try it out there. So far, it looks great. Thanks.

KJ

Frisbee-tray

#284 Post by KJ »

elroy and all .... Thanks for the responses. I run frugal installs from USB/SD flashdrives and eth0 networking on this box. Carolina002 found eth0 OOTB. connected and runs great in the auto-DHCP mode. Frisbee-tray shows two white monitor that do not blink nor do stats show in the mouse over tool-tip box. Increasing the sleep time in startup/frisbee-tray has no effect. Saves and reboots have no effect.

If I pull the eth0 cable and set up the wifi ... Frisbee works great with correct white/green antenna icon and stats with a mouse over.

If I set up eth0 networking with the wizard ... the tray icon changes to a globe-monitor icon and displays properly. Looks like it's strictly a Frisbee issue so I'll post to that forum page. Thanks to all .... KJ

elroy

ene sdcard

#285 Post by elroy »

yerc1 wrote:Is there a chance to have Carolina support for the ENE sdcard reader?
It appears a solution has been found for this issue thanks to yerc1's help with testing. If you have this hardware on your system it would be most helpful if you could test this pet and report your results - ene_lina-0.1.pet. Thanks.

Marv

xfce4-panel-plugin-mount

#286 Post by Marv »

Does anyone else not see inserted USB drives in the panel-plugin-mount unless they are mounted? The show up both on the desktop and in thunar and mount and unmount fine. As soon as unmounted, even if from the plugin itself they disappear from the plugin before being removed! sda1 and sda2 (ide) are fine. Vfat and Ext2 USB drives behave the same. Starting USB modeswitch or not makes no difference.

I know Geoffrey had a post on this in the Saluki forum but it wasn't resolved there so far as I know. I've tried several versions, currently running 5.5 and googled to no avail. This is true in Saluki 023 and in Carolina 002 non-PAE lite. Seems to me it did work in Saluki 021 but I'll have to boot that to check. Is it logical to assume this is a 4.8 to 4.10 growing pain? If so, I can certainly wait it out.

Of course pmount works from the panel just fine but the interface of the xfce4 plugin is just enough better to make me wish it worked.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Geoffrey

Re: xfce4-panel-plugin-mount

#287 Post by Geoffrey »

Marv wrote:Does anyone else not see inserted USB drives in the panel-plugin-mount unless they are mounted? The show up both on the desktop and in thunar and mount and unmount fine. As soon as unmounted, even if from the plugin itself they disappear from the plugin before being removed! sda1 and sda2 (ide) are fine. Vfat and Ext2 USB drives behave the same. Starting USB modeswitch or not makes no difference.

I know Geoffrey had a post on this in the Saluki forum but it wasn't resolved there so far as I know. I've tried several versions, currently running 5.5 and googled to no avail. This is true in Saluki 023 and in Carolina 002 non-PAE lite. Seems to me it did work in Saluki 021 but I'll have to boot that to check. Is it logical to assume this is a 4.8 to 4.10 growing pain? If so, I can certainly wait it out.

Of course pmount works from the panel just fine but the interface of the xfce4 plugin is just enough better to make me wish it worked.
Yeah that seems to be the case with the 4.10 upgrade, a number of 4.8 plugins no longer function correctly, the mounter plugin was handy, I also tried to get it working with USB , but no joy.

I have also tried to get the weather plugin to work here in Australia, but have had no luck, it works for elroy in the US though, has anyone been able to get it to function outside of the US?
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

okokoook

#288 Post by okokoook »

yeah, i also found a little weird thing about carolina 002. in carolina 001, when i view files in sfs using sfs-loader, there will be a icon like "loop4" shown in the thunar sidebar after the sfs has been opened, but in carolina 002, there is no such thing to happen. i was just curious about it.

michael

mufeed2012

#289 Post by mufeed2012 »

I hate this.
Last edited by mufeed2012 on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#290 Post by Geoffrey »

@mufeed2012

Thank you, but there is no reason to be nasty, there is a thing called etiquette, which is the norm,
you are quite welcome to make comment, contribute ideas and make request, we don't hold grudges.

Geoffrey
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

Jejy69

#291 Post by Jejy69 »

I agree with Geoffrey.
mufeed2012 shows a certain narrowness of mind ...
Especially since Carolina is just as valid as Lxpup or better since its development is more advanced than mine.

This is appalling ... :?
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

elroy

#292 Post by elroy »

mufeed2012 wrote:I don't like this Puppy Derivative. It does not have good looks like LXPup & It is not as functional as LXPup too. So I don't like this one. Everybody use LXPup instead of this Puppy Derivative. And If you don't like LXPup more than this then come back to this one or try:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=15

Thanks.
Wow. I don't even know what to say, other than that this is probably the most immature, self-promoting thing I've ever seen on the murga forum. Hopefully Flash will deal with this accordingly. This is akin to spam.

Certainly every one is entitled to their opinion. However, to do so in this manner and then post a link to your own ISO minutes from it's upload being completed, that runs counter to the spirit of community.

rmcellig

unable to get Carolina 002 running.

#293 Post by rmcellig »

I copied the files in the ISO to a folder called Carolina on my HD (SDA1). When I used Grub4Dos to build the boot menu, it didn't show up. Am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
carolina.png
(36.84 KiB) Downloaded 1307 times

CatDude

#294 Post by CatDude »

Hi
Geoffrey wrote:...I have also tried to get the weather plugin to work here in Australia, but have had no luck, it works for elroy in the US though, has anyone been able to get it to function outside of the US?
It appears to be working here in the UK,
although there is some rather wierd looking icons in that first pic.

CatDude
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
(37.71 KiB) Downloaded 1244 times
Screenshot-2.png
(36.18 KiB) Downloaded 1257 times
Screenshot-3.png
(39.19 KiB) Downloaded 1235 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

greengeek

#295 Post by greengeek »

CatDude wrote:although there is some rather wierd looking icons in that first pic.
Don't think I will book a holiday to the Bahamas then - looks like it must be in the flightpath of one of those Boeings with the faulty loo valves...
Attachments
bahamas flight path.jpg
(28.35 KiB) Downloaded 1161 times
Last edited by greengeek on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#296 Post by gcmartin »

cthisbear wrote:" Sometimes....very infrequently in Frisbee you have to
@CThisBear, I have experienced this with ALL recent builds of PUPs in the last 45 days using Frisbee. I have NOT experienced this with Dougal's version.

I am NOT promoting anything, here, with this post. I am indicating what I, too, have experienced in using Frisbee with most recent versions of PUPs.

Here to help

mikeslr

Grub4Dos not finding Carolina 002

#297 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rmcellig,

Just a guess, but I noticed your carolina folder is named "carolina 002". Note the space between carolina and 002. I'm not sure Grub4Dos knows what to do with a name divided by a space. Try renaming the folder to carolina002.

mikesLr

p.s. It's not necessary to run Grub4Dos everytime you install a new Puplet. If Grub4Dos is already installed browse to the drive on which Grub4Dos was installed and open menu.lst in a text editor.In most puppies, left-clicking it will open it in geany. If your replacing one Pup for another, scroll to the Title of the old Pup, and type a new title. Unless you want it, you can leave the drive/partition and folder ID out of the title. Grub4Dos doesn't use it; just displays it for your benefit. Scroll to and high-light the first listing of the old folder. For example, the second line of my precise non-PAE reads:
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /precise2/initrd.gz

So I would highlight precise2. While highlighted, Click geany's menu-bar "Search" and then select replace. A dialogue will open showing precise2 in the find field and asking for a name in the replace field. You could type in carolina002. You can choose either replace or replace all. If the former you'll have to replace each instance of precise2. But it's safer if, for example you are replacing precise, but already have a precise2 and are adding a precise3.

Edited 10/29. When you're finished replacing, scroll to the line which reads:

kernel /precise2/vmlinuz psubdir=precise2 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck

and change the last argument to read pfix=fsck,ram.

That will prevent your new Pup from inadvertently using the SaveFile from an previously installed Pup. [Remember to remove the ",ram" before rebooting, after you've configured your new Pup].

When you're finished editing the new listing, click geany's Save.

If you're adding, rather than replacing, scroll to the blank space following the last line of a listing, such as

initrd /precise2/initrd.gz

and press return a couple of time to give yourself some room. Then scroll to the beginning of title line of a listing, left-click and highlight the entire listing and click Edit (on geany's Menu) copy. Scroll to the space you created, right-click and select paste. Use find-replace as above.

Modifying menu.lst rather than re-installing Grub4Dos saves wear and tear on a drives boot record.
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Grub4dos menu.lst

#298 Post by Marv »

Nice summary, Mikeslr.

In addition to my more stable system folders, I keep a folder named experimental in the Boot partition and an entry for it in menu.lst. Then if I want to quickly try something out, I just mount the relevant iso image and copy the relevant files into experimental and reboot to it. If it's worth pursuing, I copy it to its own folder, if not, it gets permanently removed. Praise to thunar and its custom actions on rightclick.

edited: Not for the faint of heart, but I have changed the command in thunars permanently remove custom action to just rm -rf %F (with an appropriate LARGE red icon). I do enough shuffling and jiving so I like not being nagged. Running frugal, I always have a savefile backup and yes, even the poweroff button before the next save.
Last edited by Marv on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mikeslr

Grub4dos menu.lst

#299 Post by mikeslr »

Nice addition Marv. Good tip.

I've edited the instructions above for modifying menu.lst as I had left out the step to prevent inadvertently using the SaveFile from an already installed Pup.

mikesLr

gcmartin

#300 Post by gcmartin »

GRUB4DOS has a wonderful feature when it is used from the Menu.

The feature will find (or attempt to find) bootable entries on behalf of the user as it builds its menu.lst during installation.

I think (but understand I say "I think") that the reason for continued re-use of GRUB4DOS by those who are not as familiar with its configuration file would be to get GRUB4DOS to do all the work of properly tailoring the menu.lst.

Here to help