Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
okwellthen

full install grub - LxPupPrecise

#281 Post by okwellthen »

@ anyone

...am trying to get grub entry correct (inserting in existing Grub2 from PearOS which is Ubuntu 12.04 based)... any pointers would sure help...

I'm sure it's here somewhere in this vast forum, but TIA for any of your kindnesses--even just a link ...

I'm noticing that the provided text given after install--the form of it sure looks different?????

ALSO: how to adjust screen brightness....?

@smil99 : thanks for the quote you presented.... I needed that for myself :D

THANX!

James C

Re: full install grub - LxPupPrecise

#282 Post by James C »

okwellthen wrote:@ anyone

...am trying to get grub entry correct (inserting in existing Grub2 from PearOS which is Ubuntu 12.04 based)... any pointers would sure help...

I'm sure it's here somewhere in this vast forum, but TIA for any of your kindnesses--even just a link ...

I'm noticing that the provided text given after install--the form of it sure looks different?????

ALSO: how to adjust screen brightness....?

@smil99 : thanks for the quote you presented.... I needed that for myself :D

THANX!
Here's a thread that may help......
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 004#589004

peebee

#283 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello Peebee !
Thanks for the report, I will see.
Maybe, restartx after branch the USB key ?
I add problems with Pup-Volume-Monitor. I added a launcher at startup, in / root / startup to launch the process. :?
Hi Jejy69

I see the startup launcher - but if you run it, it says the daemon is already running...

Plugging in the usb stick and then doing restartx - it appears in file manager and can be used - but does not disappear when removed....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#284 Post by Jejy69 »

"Surprise" released !
See the first post !

smil99

#285 Post by smil99 »

jejy69 wrote:
"Surprise" released !
Merci beaucoup Sir Jerome. You actually made my day. :D
Typing this from Cinammon Precise Puppy... Horray! Thanks to BK and the wonderful puppy community too.

Would give feedback if I encounter any problems. So far so good.

Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

Jejy69

#286 Post by Jejy69 »

@mikeslrm thanks for your tips, now, we wait yerc's response. :)

@Peebee, it seems refresh doesn't work...
I will test another version.

@smil99, Thank you for your back, I'm reassured, I was a little afraid for cinnamon. It's a 'sensible' package.

There are 2 issues for now:
-Right click on desktop, 'Change background' doesn't work.
Must go in cinnamon control center.

-Menu PowerOff's cinnamon, I can't remove it.
Accordingly, 2 applis in the menu to poweroff the PC ( Pupshutdown and Gnome-Session which doesn't work. )

Jejy69

#287 Post by Jejy69 »

LXpet 1.2 released :
-Update Google Earth 6.2.2
-Fix google earth launcher

peebee

#288 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:There are 2 issues for now:
-Right click on desktop, 'Change background' doesn't work.
Must go in cinnamon control center.
Hi Jejy69

A bit similar situation exists in the Mate 1.4.1 pet - the only way to change backgrounds and appearance is to go into Applications - Utilities - Change appearance (from memory)

The menu items in Desktop that you would think should change appearance don't do so.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Jejy69

#289 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi Peebee,

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 801#659801
Same Problem in Slacko.
And I don't know how to fix it...
All control centers don't work, XFCE, MATE, Gnome2, Gnome 3, they are all empty...
I found nothing about it on Google...
I thought XDG= variables were not set correctly, but they are ok.

peebee

#290 Post by peebee »

Jejy69 wrote:@Peebee, it seems refresh doesn't work...
I will test another version.
Hi Jejy69

I reloaded: pup-volume-monitor-0.1.9-0-i686-slacko.pet

onto Precise Lxpup with Mate 1.4.1

and this cured my usb-stick-not-detected problem.........

Hope this helps......

Cheers
peebee

gcmartin

Re: Really, really good!

#291 Post by gcmartin »

pchan wrote: ... and i don't know how it fares in terms of ram usage, cpu usage, temperature, battery drain.

But i am amazed at how well it runs without giving much problems and to enjoy the benefits of mate / xfce / lxde. ... .
You have ID what is probably the most important benefits to using distros.

That is user happiness and stability. Underlying these are how the distro exercises the hardware to provide these benefits. With your PC systems that you are using, your distros that you select makes for productive use for those things we need to achieve acceptability.

Thanks to the distro developers, here, to provide this effort for our use. THANKS!!!

Jejy69

#292 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Peebee,
Reinstall package works ?! Great, thanks you ! :D
I am relieved that you've found the solution, some manipulations I've tried have not been very successful ...

Eventually, do you have an idea about Control Centers errors ?

Hi gcmartin,

What do you think about Cinnamon ? :D
Really, I love it !

Thanks you all !

mikeslr

Initial report: Precise Lxpup 11.12

#293 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jejy69 and all:

Initial report about precise lxpup 11.12. My system:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

Manual frugal install to folder on sda2. precise lxpup provided ati radeon graphics and sound OOTB. Attempt to install frisbee generated error. Fortunately, SMS worked without difficulty. As I run several puplets, including several versions of precise, before extracting lxpup to its folder on sda2, I added a listing on Grub4Dos' menu on sdb1, with the "ram" argument so as not to inadvertantly load a SaveFile on first boot. After making initial configurations, I usually edit the Grub4Dos menu to remove the "ram" argument. I could not pmount, or otherwise access sdb1 to effect that change and had to boot into a different puppy to do so. Once booted into precise lxpup with a SaveFile, my other drives and partitions became available.
Installed lxpet and used it to install cinnamon. Ctl-Atl-Backspace and typed "xwin gnome-sessions-cinnamon" but it reported something was wrong. The first time this happened, unable to reboot to a desktop, I booted into another Puppy, deleted the SaveFile and repeated the above, with the same results. This time, however, figuring I had nothing to loose, I tried "xwin jwm", unsuccessfully; then "xwin openbox" with some success. It gave me a desktop, but complained about a pin error, I think. But the desktop allowed me to initiate lxpet and install Mate-1.4.1 which, after Ctl-Alt-Backspace and typing "xwin" with further instruction I've already forgotten gave my the Mate desktop from which I'm posting.
Both the mate-1.4.1 window manager and the default lxpup window manager appear very promising.
Conclusions so far:
lxpup really needs a windows manager switcher. Perhaps pemasu or 'foo can help. Pemasu's Exprimo has a switcher between JWM and E17. 'foo created a "general purpose" switcher pet.
pmount should work even before a SaveFile is created.
Something is wrong with cinnamon. If you know what diagnostics I could run, reports I could generate (and HOW to do so) I'll help trying to straighten this out. I really want to get this window manager working in Puppy.
I recommend that a separate thread be setup either for the slacko or precise version. If lx-pup slacko also requires adjustments,It will be quickly become very confusing keeping track of what works, what doesn't, under which computer systems, what's being fixed, what update pets apply, and so on.
Sorry about the somewhat negative report. I don't mean to discourage you. You've brought a fresh prospective to Puppy. Keep up the good --and I know hard-- work.
mikesLr

smil99

#294 Post by smil99 »

Can confirm mikeslr's observation. Cinnamon was sailing smoothly after install until I rebooted. Then I was greeted with an error screen (see attached taken with my iphone). Several reboots and restart X with the command "xwin gnome-session-cinnamon" couldn't put cinnamon together again. :(

Posting from a different computer now.

Cheers.
Attachments
cinnamon error start.JPG
(183.56 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

okwellthen

Re: full install grub - LxPupPrecise

#295 Post by okwellthen »

@James C

[/quote]

Here's a thread that may help......
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 004#589004[/quote]

...thanks for quick reply! :) In my case this did not work... BUT... I remembered that some installs don't work at all well when having burned to USB via Unetbootin... I was correct... when installed from CD... all is well, and now can get on with this fine distro!!!! :D

THANKS AGAIN to Sir Jerome for ALL his labor of love!!!!! :D

CRF

PcMANFM [SOLVED]

#296 Post by CRF »

I don't know if this has already been brought up and it could be that I am not familiar with PcManFM....but I've been attempting to create symlinks to file folders.

I've tried right clicking with my mouse and checking all the drop down boxes in a PCManFM window and I don't see anything the resembles the ability to link files.

I've looked through the Libs files and see the arrow in the corner that links to other files....I just haven't been able to to do it myself.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this?
Last edited by CRF on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

Q5sys

Re: PcMANFM

#297 Post by Q5sys »

CRF wrote:I don't know if this has already been brought up and it could be that I am not familiar with PcManFM....but I've been attempting to create symlinks to file folders.

I've tried right clicking with my mouse and checking all the drop down boxes in a PCManFM window and I don't see anything the resembles the ability to link files.

I've looked through the Libs files and see the arrow in the corner that links to other files....I just haven't been able to to do it myself.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this?
In 'most' PCmanFM implementations
Creating symlink are done by dragging source file with a Ctrl+Shift hold till you drag the file to where you want. Then release the click while still holding ctrl+shift.

pchan

#298 Post by pchan »

Thank you for making a pc illiterate like myself feel welcome and valued.

I have enjoyed puppy linux and I am happy to see where puppy linux is goin with lxpup.

I am however having some problem with the default gnome media player because sometimes when the video is too dark and i try to adjust the video equalizer to make the pictures brighter, nothing happens.

I tried to install vlc and qt but when the video is played i can hear the sound but no player gui windows. In the case of smplayer, the gui window appears and i can see the picture but then there is no audio.

Appreciate any help on this matter because I really hope precise lx can become the main puppy linux for my everyday use.

Thanks

smokey01

#299 Post by smokey01 »

Pchan, using vlc might depend on your video driver. Try looking in the config area for video and select x11 or something else.

pchan

#300 Post by pchan »

smokey01 wrote:Pchan, using vlc might depend on your video driver. Try looking in the config area for video and select x11 or something else.
Thank you for replying. my video upgrade wizard says that thriis version does not offer any upgrade.

In slacko i remember i could install mensa driver. Is there a kind of mensa high driver for precise?

Thanks