Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 20 Aug 2014, 18:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lighthouse 64 5.14.2 Beta 4
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 15 of 17 [255 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
Author Message
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 4211
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012, 20:10    Post subject:  

Q5sys wrote:
...
gcmartin wrote:

There is NO SUCH THING AS WHEN YOU NEED IT. WE Need it.
I really hope you're exaggerating when you say that. If you aren't... well I'm not even going to comment.
I agree with that last sentence. Let's move on to helping as best we can.

OK.

Here to help

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engine or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
meeki


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Portland OR

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012, 13:58    Post subject:  

Hey lhpup team.

Awsome ideas about automation and java.

Sorry i was sick all last week. And today is my las day of midterms for my jr fall term.

I took a look at the java music server and it kinda cool. Its not really secure but imo that comes down to your router settings and if it can handle up to layer 5 inspection.

As for needing it now ive been trying to finish up lhpup record so i and other can make some more howtoo stuff. I think that there are enough of us packagers around to handel compiling pets for the needs of lhpupers.

You may have to wait a few weeks but for somthing that is free and works well thats not much to ask.

I like the fact that puppy is small and lhpup is small. We have fewer goals but they tend to be community driven. We have a fast os that is understandable and tweekable
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
meeki


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Portland OR

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012, 23:39    Post subject: LHPUP Record  

LHPUP Record is ready for beta!

Hey every one I got it done.

LHPUP Record is a Video Screen Recorder (Record desktop)

I made a video of it in use here.
http://youtu.be/4WFUcZiRKFA

LHPUP Record pet

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12968946/lighthouse/LHPUPRecord-0.09.pet


md5 check
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12968946/lighthouse/LHPUPRecord-0.09.pet.md5

Thanks for the support and help to every one below.

**********************
tazoc
**********************
http://www.lhpup.org/
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74572&start=195

Basic LHPUP (puppy) help. Support of his OS let me write and compile all code in his OS with ease.
He has been there for me and the rest of his users supporting the os we love.


**********************
smokey01
**********************
http://www.smokey01.com/
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog64-600/recorder-fd64-1.0.pet

For support of his code found in his pet recorder-fd64-1.0.pet and giving me a good look at what works to solve sync issues of video and sound.

**********************
Lobster
**********************
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUwMCMjVXL8
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=613319&search_id=952918519#613319

For inspiring me to start the project in the first place. I happend upon his program first... then ran with it. The recording gui for the stop and start stuff came from borrowing ideas from his code.

**********************
zigbert
**********************
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38608

For his GtkDialog tips (more like a manuel) I was able to learn how to make a gui for LHPUPRecord


**********************
others
**********************
every one in the LHPUP thread that PM'ed me or wrote suport in the thread kept me going. Even when the code got messed up and I thought id never get it done your support kept me going.

Last edited by meeki on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 15:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
meeki


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Portland OR

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 11:04    Post subject: free time  

Hey LHPUP fans

My teacher canceled class today so I now have 8am to 1pm of unexpected free time.

I'll check back here every 30 min.

What this means for you ?

If you need a pet or have a fix you want looked into now is the time to ask. I'm donating my time for any issues you have for the next 5hrs solving them.

Meeki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Puppyt

Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 567
Location: Gatton, Queensland

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 19:59    Post subject:  

Hi meeki,
actually PMing you at the moment on other matters, but just spotted your notice here. With regard to gcmartin's and Q5sys' recent postings on java in this thread re security policies, I noticed that I couldn't find a sfs, only a pet, for java in LH64. Do you think it would be feasible to fill that gap (if I have completely overlooked a compatible SFS somewheres)?
Cheers
PS Sorry haven't tested LHPUP Record yet - good work Smile

_________________
Toowoomba Linux Community
http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 21:26    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
Hi meeki,
actually PMing you at the moment on other matters, but just spotted your notice here. With regard to gcmartin's and Q5sys' recent postings on java in this thread re security policies, I noticed that I couldn't find a sfs, only a pet, for java in LH64. Do you think it would be feasible to fill that gap (if I have completely overlooked a compatible SFS somewheres)?
Cheers
PS Sorry haven't tested LHPUP Record yet - good work Smile


http://lhpup.org/sfs/514-x86_64/JavaRE-7u7-x86_64.sfs

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Puppyt

Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 567
Location: Gatton, Queensland

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 21:38    Post subject:  

Many Thanks indeed, Q5sys -
I didn't see it in the LH64 PPM - but a closer look shows only fd64 there - will uninstall the java pet and download the sfs forthwith,
Embarassed

[EDIT: what about an sfs of the other "evil twin", Flash-XX.X.etc? https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Flash_Security_Project I haven't got the tinfoil hat out yet, but I would like to sleep a little easier, knowing that Puppy is safer by design, than that of the MS and OSX models...]

_________________
Toowoomba Linux Community
http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 23:15    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
Many Thanks indeed, Q5sys -
I didn't see it in the LH64 PPM - but a closer look shows only fd64 there - will uninstall the java pet and download the sfs forthwith,
Embarassed

[EDIT: what about an sfs of the other "evil twin", Flash-XX.X.etc? https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Flash_Security_Project I haven't got the tinfoil hat out yet, but I would like to sleep a little easier, knowing that Puppy is safer by design, than that of the MS and OSX models...]


http://puppy-linux.org/lhp514/Flash-11.2.202.238-x86_64.sfs

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Puppyt

Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 567
Location: Gatton, Queensland

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 23:43    Post subject:  

Embarassed Embarassed Thanks! for the Flash link - I'm buttoned up now...
_________________
Toowoomba Linux Community
http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct 2012, 08:14    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed Thanks! for the Flash link - I'm buttoned up now...

No need to be embarrassed. The Flash SFS is something I made for my system it wasnt on any of the LHP sites until I uploaded it to my backup site. Smile
Enjoy.

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
meeki


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Portland OR

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct 2012, 15:46    Post subject: LHPUPRECORD & Subsonic  

thanks to smokey01 beta testing I worked out a few buggs in LHPUP Record

new build notes:

# Fixes
- Smokey01 noted return to menu no explination if dir is false. Changed initial start dir to "/" to not risk this.
- Smokey01 noted lack of audio. Turns out that some audio cards lack chann selection in ffmpeg with alsa. now hw:0,0 also gives option for only card as hw:0

# Inprovments
- added check for dir selected. if not found tells user to pick a propper dir. then sends them back to main selection

_________________________________________________________________

****** to solve you audio prob select alsa hw:0 and not the defualt of hw:0,0
_____________________________________________________________________

LHPUPRecord-0.09

PET
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12968946/lighthouse/LHPUPRecord-0.09.pet
MD5
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12968946/lighthouse/LHPUPRecord-0.09.pet.md5


Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
meeki


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Portland OR

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct 2012, 17:05    Post subject:  

puppyt says:
Quote:

Here's perhaps a project for you meeki - a java-based media server http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp. Would it be feasible to compile this in a 64-bit environment, or would a suite of lighter applications for media serving in Puppy do, instead? More nooby-friendly GUI's for Monkey- and Samba- servers perhaps, already in LH64?


Subsonic
Well got it done. Took some figuring on killing the PID process.
used the code found for Samba-Server and tweeked it for my uses. no author at the top of file in the bin folder so I dont know who to credit?
added java version checks to it so if user does not have java hes not left hanging wondering why it does not work.

Subsonic

(req java 6.x.x or higher)

PET
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12968946/lighthouse/subsonic-4.7.pet

MD5
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12968946/lighthouse/subsonic-4.7.pet.md5


I think I'm going to become the matainer of java pets in LHPUP this now makes #3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
meeki


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Posts: 123
Location: Portland OR

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2012, 09:40    Post subject:  

LHPUPJAVA

All the java sfs's / pet's for LHPUP can now be found at:
http://lhpupjava.puppytune.org/

I will keep it uptodate and place any new pet's / sfs's here for now on.

this way people don't have to scroll through the threads any more looking for them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
gcmartin

Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 4211
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2012, 15:04    Post subject: FLASH and JAVA in LH64  

A CLARIFICATION!!! I WRITE THIS AS IT SHOULD BE PUT INTO FOCUS!

There is NO experienced or reported exposures in LH64 in its presentation of JAVA or FLASH....NONE!

I am not suggesting that anyone who "percieves" a threat should not take steps to protect themselves.

But, it is TOTALLLY ERRONEOUS to suggest that because Microsoft/Apple may have exposures, that it THEREFORE CARRIES OVER TO Puppyland.

This is inaccurate.

Again, I, as well as many others applaud the persentation of LH64 and what is has done in the 64bit community of Puppyland. It produces a simple and easy to use distro that is secure, flexible, and tremendously functional for any/all new users and experienced users as well. The experiences one in the community know how to manipulate and change whatever they feel necessary. Newbies and lessor experienced users can use this distro OOTB without the need to install ANYTHING to do everything they can do from the top 10 Linuxes as well as Microsoft and Apple. This is an incredibly safe, stable, and effective distro for anyone who is in this community. LH64 is one of the, if not the, easiest as a full featured PUP as is offered in the Puppyland. Well positioned, and well thought-thru.

NOT ONE OF US CAN PRODUCE ANY...I REPEAT..."ANY" EXPOSURE THAT HAS CAUSE FOR SECURITY LOSS.

And, until someone shows an exposure, to "ALLUDE" that LH64 is somehow compromising our use is inaccurate and wrongly positioned in this thread!!!!!

Again, said differently, NEITHER, JAVA NOR FLASH COMPROMISES LH64,OOTB! Not in the past, not now!

Here to help

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engine or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Q5sys


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 1047

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2012, 15:33    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
A CLARIFICATION!!! I WRITE THIS AS IT SHOULD BE PUT INTO FOCUS!

There is NO experienced or reported exposures in LH64 in its presentation of JAVA or FLASH....NONE!

I am not suggesting that anyone who "percieves" a threat should not take steps to protect themselves.

But, it is TOTALLLY ERRONEOUS to suggest that because Microsoft/Apple may have exposures, that it THEREFORE CARRIES OVER TO Puppyland.

This is inaccurate.

Again, I, as well as many others applaud the persentation of LH64 and what is has done in the 64bit community of Puppyland. It produces a simple and easy to use distro that is secure, flexible, and tremendously functional for any/all new users and experienced users as well. The experiences one in the community know how to manipulate and change whatever they feel necessary. Newbies and lessor experienced users can use this distro OOTB without the need to install ANYTHING to do everything they can do from the top 10 Linuxes as well as Microsoft and Apple. This is an incredibly safe, stable, and effective distro for anyone who is in this community. LH64 is one of the, if not the, easiest as a full featured PUP as is offered in the Puppyland. Well positioned, and well thought-thru.

NOT ONE OF US CAN PRODUCE ANY...I REPEAT..."ANY" EXPOSURE THAT HAS CAUSE FOR SECURITY LOSS.

And, until someone shows an exposure, to "ALLUDE" that LH64 is somehow compromising our use is inaccurate and wrongly positioned in this thread!!!!!

Again, said differently, NEITHER, JAVA NOR FLASH COMPROMISES LH64,OOTB! Not in the past, not now!

Here to help


gcmartin,
I'm approaching this comment as someone who works in the computer security field to someone who is not as knowledgeable in the IT security field. So please dont take this as a person attack against you becuase ITS NOT!!!! However, Im going to take a guess that computer security isnt what you do for a living. The reason I say that is because you're statement is factually false.

An exploit in a software program, such as flash is independant of OS. The exploit within the program itself is the vulnerability. If you're argument was valid then there would be no reason to ever update Firefox or Opera or any other progrem just because an exloit has been found in a windows version of whatever program.
Computer exploits do NOT always boil down to what OS you are using. Example: Cross Site scripting attacks have nothing to do with what OS you are using. They will work on any incorrectly coded browser. Whether than browser is on Windows, Mac, or LInux. This is the very reason that when an exploit is released Firefox (for example), updates ALL of their versions across every OS platform.

An exploit in Firefox (for example) is just that. AN EXPLOIT IN FIREFOX. It doesnt matter what OS its running on, the browser has the exploit. The same holds true for Flash and Java. An exploit in Java can be completely OS independent.

example needed? Here is an example of the java exploit being used against a linux computer. It doesnt matter that the exploit was originally discovered on windows... since its a java exploit it works across every version of Java that wasnt properly patched.


Also see: http://www.metasploit.com/modules/exploit/multi/browser/java_signed_applet For systems that another java exploit works against.
Metasploit project wrote:
Exploit Targets
0 - Generic (Java Payload)
1 - Windows x86 (Native Payload) (default)
2 - Linux x86 (Native Payload)
3 - Mac OS X PPC (Native Payload)
4 - Mac OS X x86 (Native Payload)


Would this attack work against LHP running an older verison of java? Yes absolutely. *Why do you think TazOC released an update java package as soon as it was out?* Has it been done by anyone in this small community, probably not becuase there's not point wasting time and effort on something that will work because its program based and not OS based. We simply update our software and move on with our lives.

I understand your mindset, from a person who doesnt work with these issues day in and day out, you're viewpoint seems completely logical and it seems like its common sense. However sadly in the IT security world, things dont always work as everyone thinks it should. Sometimes the facts are VERY counterintuitive.
I speak for myself, and I believe that everyone else would agree, you're insight into some areas of puppy are fantastic. However I feel this is one area, where your knowledge, or perhaps lack there of, is going to prompt you to make statements which are in correct.

_________________



My PC is for sale
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 15 of 17 [255 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1211s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0167s) ][ GZIP on ]