puppy_precise_5.4.sfs not found

Please post any bugs you have found
kenzy88

#1 Post by kenzy88 »

Hi all,
I downloaded puppy linux (precise-5.4.iso) from the official mirror http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... se-5.4.iso , verified the md5sum after the download . I then burned the ISO to a CD and verified the data written on the CD.
When booting it halts just after the boot screen with the following error:
and then it drops to initramfs.
If you are wondering yes puppy_precise_5.4.sfs is on the CD.
I tried burning the CD with brasero and k3b (I thought something was wrong with burning at first).
Also, on syslinux boot screen the keyboard (USB) doesn't work so I can't choose any advanced options (the keyboard works when it drops to initramfs shell).

Any clue?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

On the CD look for a file called isolinux.cfg.
Open this file In a text editor.
Does it look like this:
default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=cd
Very important the last line has pmedia=cd

Also are the names of files on CD in lower case letters? They need to be for it to work. Some burning processes, under Windows, make them capital letters.

If all of this seems OK you can try this:

Boot with Puppy live CD
At boot screen select F2 key
Try using one of these boot options

1. puppy acpi=off

2. puppy acpi=on
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

What is on a normal bootable Puppy CD.

To burn the iso image to a CD that will be a boot-able Puppy you need to use burn option Burn ISO Image.
When the CD image is made the CD will have these files on it.
boot.cat
boot.msg
help2.msg
help.msg
initrd.gz
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg
logo.16
puppy_XXXXX.sfs
README.HTM
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

kommisar

ahci mode drivers?

#4 Post by kommisar »

I had a similar problem booting puppy on a laptop recently. I had changed the sata drivers to legacy ide mode in bios in order to install windows XP. I forgot that I had done so and my puppy live CD would not boot giving me an error that the SFS file could not be found. Switching back to ahci mode drivers allowed the boot to proceed normally.

robaer

had same problem... related to UDF vs Windows 7.3 default

#5 Post by robaer »

Hi, I am replying to this thread because it was the top hit when I was googling for an answer to this same problem I had... hoping to save someone else a lot of digging.

My symptoms were the same... and it was first time burning an ISO image for linux on a non-linux system for me that was source of problem. My windows 7-64 system is where I grabbed the ISO for a 5.2 Wary Puppy install that I wanted to do on an old Pentium III laptop I had kicking around. I noticed that when using a good ISO viewer on the source ISO (which I checked with MD5 etc to ensure it was good) that the filenames were properly mixed case and full length (ie puppy_wary_5.2.sfs) but when I would burn the ISO to CD it would change to PUPPY_WA.SFS
(ISO 9660 standard that converts to 7.3 for backwards windows compatibility I assume)

I tried a bunch of different ISO burners I had (from freeware like IMGBURN to a licensed Nero) and could not figure out how to get the "take existing ISO and create a CD with long filenames" thing to work. I could take and extract the ISO to a directory and then burn the CD from a build of that directory (and some allowed me to specify UDF to store long filenames) but none allowed me to "preserve" the long filenames when going from the directly from the source ISO itself to CD.

I then tried to just use the 7.3 limited CD with the "pupsfs=" parm and no luck (when keyed in with the path and capitols it would try to load but bomb on a kernal exception...) and after a good 4 hours and at least 10 CD's now coasters I gave up.

I got the brain wave to extract the sfs to disk (which I could do with the ISO viewer and some of the ISO burners as part of their other features... and have it keep the long filename) and then copied that properly named sfs file to a USB drive. When I booted the laptop with this USB plugged in (and the same CD that was always failing before) it actually worked because boot found it now (without any extra parms or exclusions).

The old Sony PCG-505 laptop is up and running again and working great on a bootable USB once I used this work around.

mahto

and again!

#6 Post by mahto »

I'm replying to this thread for the same reason. I just went through a similar mess with slacko 5.7. Even though I knew better didn't remember 'cause hadn't seen this issue in a few years.
My solution was simpler in that I just copied the .sfs from the CD file to USB stick and renamed it. Result is the same so far, boot from the same CD and the .sfs on USB is found.

hth