Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.2

Please post any bugs you have found
kooliepup

#61 Post by kooliepup »

Blammo2525 wrote: Thanks. I opted for boot-run to memory via cd and save session to USB. It's cool but IMNSHO the installer is complete idiocy.
I like the setup and may alter a few things and re-do it with remastersys. The package manager is a bit of a farce as well.
I won't make comment on the installer and package manager, but I have often wished I could use Remastersys on Puppy, the same as I do on Buntu.
It has never been such a big deal as to bother restructuring Puppy, or creating a convoluted script so as to use it, but if you do, and would like to share with us an easy way to do it, you will have at least one fan. :)

Keep in touch.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

cthisbear

#62 Post by cthisbear »

peebee :

Many thanks for the Frisbee and Broadcom43 fixes
for the Dell Studio XPS.

I modified my comments.

Regards....Chris.

cthisbear

#63 Post by cthisbear »

peebee :

Many thanks for the Frisbee and Broadcom43 fixes
for the Dell Studio XPS.

I modified my comments.

Regards....Chris.

rodin.s

gettext line in filemnt

#64 Post by rodin.s »

I noticed one line without gettext in /usr/sbin/filemnt. It's line 93 and it should be something like this:

Code: Select all

pupmessage -bg '#FF8080' "`eval_gettext \"Sorry \\\$imgFile is already mounted and in-use by Puppy
on \\\$MNTDIMG_MNT_PT from \\\$MNTDIMG\"`"    #120220

LoboGrande

Iron 22 and Chromium problems

#65 Post by LoboGrande »

Old my not quite ancient machine(P4/478/3.4ghz/Asus mobo) Iron 22 won't open Shock Wave Flash and Chromium won't open at all in PP 5.4.

Everything in SeaMonkey is actually working right out of the box for once. I haven't tested FF-16.

nooby

#66 Post by nooby »

I plan to use this code. is it okay?

title Puppy Linux Precise
kernel (hd0,1)/Precise/vmlinuz PMEDIA=satahd PDEV1=sda2 psubdir=Precise pfix=fsck
initrd (hd0,1)/Precise/initrd.gz

Edit well it booted and SeaMonkey do Flash
without need of install. Have not checked version.

One big problem for noobs that have small Netbook
and want to use bigger external screen is that the
set up says it has 1024 x 768 but the picture program
still display in 1024 x 600. So I will try to find grandr
or to install that one? To fix it?

Edit after install of Grandr and doing also set up change
of resolution. It fails. I guess I have to manually edit the file?

I don't trust that a noob feel for doing such?

What else to test?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

peebee

Re: Iron 22 and Chromium problems

#67 Post by peebee »

LoboGrande wrote:Old my not quite ancient machine(P4/478/3.4ghz/Asus mobo) Iron 22 won't open Shock Wave Flash and Chromium won't open at all in PP 5.4.

Everything in SeaMonkey is actually working right out of the box for once. I haven't tested FF-16.
Which version of Chromium??

Try:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 962#659962
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#68 Post by 01micko »

Added torrent file for retroprecise-5.4 NON PAE. See second post of the topic. I'll seed for awhile.

NOTE: Barry states this is "unofficial"..
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

artsown

#69 Post by artsown »

Tests so far of retroprecise 5.4 are positive concerning the 'mostly
black screen' problem I've experienced testing the PAE version.

Tests done on my Dell 2350 having P4 1.8 ghz cpu and 768 meg
RAM. Frugal install of retro and after 15 "hard" or machine reboots I
so far see no black screens at all. There is no way I could reboot
this many times using PAE version without seeing quite a number
of black screens at startup.

I have two more similar but different PCs here to test on as I
described in a earlier post. l'll test retro 5.4 on them later doing
at least 10 hard reboots on each.

My offer still stands to test a modified PAE version as well.

Art

rcrsn51

#70 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PDF problem discussed here is still present. Or do other users not see it? As a work-around, install the attached version from Slacko. It also reverts the libpoppler library. Please provide feedback.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#71 Post by Sage »

Don't have a machine with own server nor torrent running at present. The ibiblio d/l is nearly finished after 3+ hours on my fastish ~20Mbps connection! Guessing that it will be the retro version and Racy, along with Slacko (of course) and Carolina that're receiving most attention and may well continue to do so. Regular Precise in PAE livery isn't doing at all bad, though, even on older machines once the black screen feature is worked around on SiS and co. All it needs is icon switching and wallpaper reloading... (shall I translate for those humorless doggies around here?).

watchdog

Precise Puppy 5.4

#72 Post by watchdog »

Problems with loading savefile light-encrypted ext2: no backdrop-image, the same error of slacko 5.3.1. I tried the same console command:

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

but I lost all the installations. Is it recoverable?

ETP

Precise Puppy 5.4

#73 Post by ETP »

Sage wrote:Don't have a machine with own server nor torrent running at present. The ibiblio d/l is nearly finished after 3+ hours on my fastish ~20Mbps connection!
HI Sage,
I hate to see someone suffering. Assuming you have not emigrated :) NLUUG is a lot
faster if you live in the UK (GB). It took me about 4/5 minutes to D/L 5.4.
My connection typically syncs at around 16245kbps. I do note however that sometimes
you can start to get a slow D/L from NLUUG. If you do just abort and try again.

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... ecise-5.4/
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Sage

#74 Post by Sage »

Many thanks, ETP. I was fairly quick off the mark this morning so assumed it hadn't reached nluug at that time. Also rather busy and had to pop out, so left it running - this occasion it wasn't an issue. Just thought we should record it, esp. as BK has had problems with ibiblio in recent days.
It's up and running now OK. Getting this strange no (PS/2) mouse action recently and that helpful Tab toggled message doesn't help. Only way to get the mouse running up the clock is to reboot. Odd because this is on a liveCD. What possible effect can a reboot have when nothing is saved?! It doesn't occur with other distros, just a few Puppies???

vicmz

#75 Post by vicmz »

Fresh frugal install by AFI (Automated Frugal Installer, by RSH) on FAT32 format USB drive. Session file (.2fs) made by PupsaveConfig 2.4.4 by shinobar (to be able to choose whether to save or not).

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
Family, model, stepping 15, 4, 9 (Pentium 4)
Memory 1025MB (68MB used)

Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2

Multimedia
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Installed Opera 12.02 (DEB from official web site). Dependency check says these libraries are missing:
libcairo-gobject.so.2
libgdk-3.so.0
libgtk-3.so.0
libkdecore.so.5
libkdeui.so.5
libkio.so.5
libQtCore.so.4
libQtGui.so.4

However, Opera is running fine, the absence of these libraries is noticed only when I install Opera themes (the window remains maximized and I have to right-click on the taskbar then choose resize instead of clicking and holding a corner).

Installing Fotoxx, either existing PET from Lucid repo or DEB from Ubuntu repo, it complains that the Exif Tool is missing. Tried Image-ExifTool-8.71-i486.pet and ExifTool-8.66.pet from Puppy repo/Forum (don't remember), and libimage-exiftool-perl_8.60-2_all.deb from Ubuntu repo, the latter is recognised by Fotoxx from Ubuntu repo (although it isn't listed as required dependency when installing from PPM, a warning appears when Fotoxx is launched stating that libimage-exiftool-perl_8.60-2_all.deb is needed), and none of them are detected by Fotoxx from Lucid repo.

Java and Wine SFS from Lucid repo work fine.
Attachments
precise600x450.png
(169.4 KiB) Downloaded 2452 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

watchdog

Re: Precise Puppy 5.4

#76 Post by watchdog »

watchdog wrote:Problems with loading savefile light-encrypted ext2: no backdrop-image, the same error of slacko 5.3.1. I tried the same console command:

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache

but I lost all the installations. Is it recoverable?
Solved with new save file ext2 light-encrypted with no backdrop-image problem. I think that in the first installation something went wrong with the installation of the package z_mesa-8.0.3-up.pet. I renounced to install that package and all went well.

artsown

#77 Post by artsown »

Follow up to my posts concerning the black screen issue using PAE
5.4 Precise. I did fresh hd frugals of retro 5.4 to my other two P4 PCs
and did ten hard reboots each. No black screens at all! So that's over
15 startups on my first test PC and 20 on the other two PCs for a
total so far of over 35 hard reboots without any black screens.

Haven't yet had time to evaluate retro any further but on the surface
it seems at least as fast if not faster than PAE version on my
machines.

Art

rerwin

Integration of Frisbee into Puppy -- eventually

#78 Post by rerwin »

Although I appear to be duplicating contributions by peebee and pemasu, my goal is to eventually integrate the benefits of the Frisbee package into the mainstream puppies. My initial steps are to:
  • - update the b43 firmware package to include the "k3.x+" versions while retaining unduplicated older files. In doing that, many of the older files are now upgraded to the later versions. When wary 5.4 is released, we will need to try that package with it to verify the newer versions cause no issues.

- upgrade dhcpcd to an adaption of jemimah's enhanced version that is the last before ipv6 support gets added to dhcpcd (in 5.5). Because it is more recent than precise's version 5.15, it may improve the network-connection experience. The enhancement adds the option to delay closing the connection when the signal is weak, to reduce actual disconnections. So far, I have not found where that option is used, but assume Frisbee does somewhere.
    EDIT: Now I get it! Thanks, pemasu. The new option is "-j dropwait-in-seconds"

- create a wl driver package ready for inclusion in the pet-package library.
The really "interesting" challenge will be to adapt Frisbee to use common puppy services and set itself up only when selected by the user (instead of at installation time). I expect to experiment with frisbee by posting in the Frisbee thread, so as to avoid hijacking this thread. I hope some of you will work with me to get that working, by testing the experiments.

For now, please try the attached packages without Frisbee, to see if there is any wireless improvement or impact. The "wl" package is the result of my installing Peebee's multi-kernel package and extracting the module, to be consistent with other module packages.
Richard

UPDATE 10/28/2012: Compiled dhcpcd from annotated version of jemimah's "dropwait" source code. Because it is what I expect to submit for woof, please use it instead of the original. But there is no need to replace the original except to verify the recompiled package.
Attachments
dhcpcd-dropwait-5.2.9.pet
Upgraded dhcpcd, by Jemimah, compiled in precise pup, logic unchanged.
Potential candidate for woof.
(49.01 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
dhcpcd-5.2.9-dropwait.pet
Upgraded dhcpcd, by Jemimah
Please use the recompiled version above: dhcpcd-dropwait-5.2.9.pet
(43.06 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 29 Oct 2012, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#79 Post by pemasu »

The enhancement adds the option to delay closing the connection when the signal is weak, to reduce actual disconnections. So far, I have not found where that option is used, but assume Frisbee does somewhere.
/usr/local/Frisbee/func:

Code: Select all

function set-drop-timeout {
set -x

Xdialog --title "Frisbee" --ok-label "Set"  --inputbox  "If the connection drops, how many seconds should we wait before deconfiguring the wireless interface? \n Increase this time for flaky connections.  Decrease it if you have trouble roaming between networks." 0 0 $WTIMEOUT > /tmp/entry 2>&1
	NEWTIMEOUT=`cat /tmp/entry`
	rm /tmp/entry
	if [[ "$NEWTIMEOUT" -gt 0 && "$NEWTIMEOUT" -lt 120 ]] ; then
		WTIMEOUT=$NEWTIMEOUT
		cat /usr/local/Frisbee/config | sed "s/WTIMEOUT=.*\$/WTIMEOUT=$WTIMEOUT/" >  /tmp/config
		mv /tmp/config  /usr/local/Frisbee
		reset-dhcp
	fi
}

export -f set-drop-timeout 
In Frisbee gui, click the Wireless Diagnostics tab, and you see the option in the bottom row.

vicmz

#80 Post by vicmz »

rcrsn51 wrote:The PDF problem discussed here is still present. Or do other users not see it? As a work-around, install the attached version from Slacko. It also reverts the libpoppler library. Please provide feedback.
It works, colours are displayed properly.

BTW, copying and pasting from epdfview is still impossible :roll: . The evince .pets I found on the forum won't work, and downloading evince from Ubuntu repos is a nightmare for my slow connection because of all the dependencies listed. I'm using old English-only foxit reader 1.1 while I find another PDF viewer .pet (or learn to compile it myself).
Last edited by vicmz on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 20:58, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]