Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 26 Jul 2014, 13:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
VirtualBox for many Puppies
Page 9 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2012, 19:57    Post subject: Re: Thank you!  

UPDATED to VirtualBox release 4.2.0
I'll remove the 4.2.0 release candidates, but keep 4.1.22 available, just in case Oracle has snuck in any bugs or regressions.

tazoc wrote:
Thank you for these. Very Happy You've made VirtualBox a lot easier for many Puppians! Although Lighthouse64 has a System Tool to d/l and install VBox, it requires the large combined devX/kernel src SFS. I'm assuming your Pets do not--a big help for those without a reliable broadband connection, or who prefer not to install an SFS.

Regards,
TaZoC

That's right, my packages should not require the DEVX module, assuming everything works as intended and tested. (The only funny spot was that I think Fatdog 601 uses TXZ compression for dot-pets, instead of TGZ. Made for some confused fun the first time I tried to unpack them!)
Anyway, happy to help out where I can! Thanks for the kinds words, TaZoC!
01micko

PostPosted: Sun 21 Oct 2012, 17:10    Post subject:  

Hello

VirtualBox was failing with a thud in Slacko-5.3.6.5 Beta2 and through the persistence of CatDude it now works.

I am speculating that it has to do "kmod", the new replacement for module-init-tools. The pet is patched with this line @line 250 in /virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install/opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/vboxdrv/Makefile
Code:
-DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DFORTIFY_RUNNING

Also, modprobe -l $MODULE fails with modprobe: invalid option -- 'l' but this is not fatal and isn't patched. This is definitely to do with kmod.

Here is the patched pet. http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_packages-slacko/virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install_patched-s.pet
md5<-- 2243dbfe7195661fc40531a694d91e02 virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install_patched-s.pet

I don't know what the behaviour will be like outside of Slacko Beta, ymmv. It will likely suit pemasu's dpup based on wheezy (NOT exprimo!!!) as that ships with kmod too.

Hope this is useful to someone.
Cheers
capture22701.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   30.47 KB
 Viewed   1841 Time(s)

capture22701.jpg

TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012, 16:09    Post subject:  

UPDATED the 32-bit Puppies' packages to VirtualBox version 4.2.2. 64-bit packages will be up soon, and Slacko 5.3.6.5-beta support is forthcoming (see above, below).

EDIT: Support for Precise Puppy 5.4 is also on its way. (I only just found out about the final release a moment ago! Embarassed)

01micko wrote:
Hello

VirtualBox was failing with a thud in Slacko-5.3.6.5 Beta2 and through the persistence of CatDude it now works.

I am speculating that it has to do "kmod", the new replacement for module-init-tools. The pet is patched with this line @line 250 in /virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install/opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/vboxdrv/Makefile
Code:
-DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HARDENING -DFORTIFY_RUNNING

Also, modprobe -l $MODULE fails with modprobe: invalid option -- 'l' but this is not fatal and isn't patched. This is definitely to do with kmod.

Here is the patched pet. http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_packages-slacko/virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install_patched-s.pet
md5<-- 2243dbfe7195661fc40531a694d91e02 virtualbox-4.2.0_src.install_patched-s.pet

I don't know what the behaviour will be like outside of Slacko Beta, ymmv. It will likely suit pemasu's dpup based on wheezy (NOT exprimo!!!) as that ships with kmod too.

Hope this is useful to someone.
Cheers

Thanks, 01micko. CatDude sent me a separate PM with the same information as to where and how to patch. I only got the message after I finished packaging up all the 32-bit version of VirtualBox 4.2.2 for the usual Puppies, but I do plan to try out the patch both on Slacko-5.3.6.5 and on some older Puppies. If it works well everywhere, I'll just modify and re-upload the "src.install" dot-pet, and make a "vboxdrv" package for the beta as I normally would. Otherwise, I can make a special installer for the newer Pups that will/may ship with kmod, and just add some more fun to my HTML guide(s). Laughing

I'll post any pertinent updates once I can.
tiangeng

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct 2012, 22:44    Post subject:  

Would you build Virtualbox3.2.8 for Precise5.4?
Virtualbox4.x is too big. Very Happy
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012, 17:06    Post subject:  

Added a VBox 4.2.2 package for Precise Puppy 540

tiangeng wrote:
Would you build Virtualbox3.2.8 for Precise5.4?
Virtualbox4.x is too big. Very Happy

I can certainly try. Wink
Honestly, my first priority for VBox is to get 4.2.2 running for the Slacko 540 beta, and seeing how I can most easily and elegantly account for it and all the other puppies in the "src.install" package. (That, and I still have to update my JRE and JDK packages to the latest versions. Rolling Eyes) That being said, I'd be happy to try to get VBox 3.2.8 (or even a more recent 3-series release) running for Precise 540 once I've addressed that issue.

As always I'll update here when possible.
tiangeng

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012, 20:08    Post subject:  

Quote:
I can certainly try. Wink
Honestly, my first priority for VBox is to get 4.2.2 running for the Slacko 540 beta, and seeing how I can most easily and elegantly account for it and all the other puppies in the "src.install" package. (That, and I still have to update my JRE and JDK packages to the latest versions. Rolling Eyes) That being said, I'd be happy to try to get VBox 3.2.8 (or even a more recent 3-series release) running for Precise 540 once I've addressed that issue.

As always I'll update here when possible.

Thank you very much!
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct 2012, 16:12    Post subject:  

@tiangeng: No problem!

INFORMATIONAL UPDATE
The patch for Slacko 5365 doesn't have any apparent effects on the other Puppies I make packages for, so the "src.install" package and the "vboxrv_DEV" packages will simply include the patch for the foreseeable future- unless something else changes. Laughing

Accordingly, I have made updated packages for VirtualBox 4.2.2 built with the patch applied and am uploading them now, first to my Dropbox mirror and shortly also to the SilverDollarSolutions.com mirror. I'll update the main post in just a bit.

I should also finally get access to some loaned 64-bit hardware tonight, and will get the packages for Fatdog64 and LighthousePup made and uploaded, too.

2012.10.25 @1515 CDT: Dropbox mirror 32-bit packages updated.
2012.10.25 @1605 CDT: SilverDollarSolutions.com mirror 32-bit packages updated.
2012.10.25 @ 2105 CDT: Dropbox mirror 64-bit packages added.

I'll leave the SilverDollarSolutions.com 64-packages set to upload overnight, and I'll update the main post in the morning.

Cheers!
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct 2012, 08:39    Post subject:  

Fully updated to VIrtualBox 4.2.2

I may go back and delete the redundant VBox-4.2.0 packages after a few days.

I'll get to some 3-series packages as requested by tiangeng next. Cool
tiangeng

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct 2012, 21:40    Post subject:  

Quote:
I'll get to some 3-series packages as requested by tiangeng next.

Very good,thank you.[/quote]
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2012, 17:20    Post subject:  

Added/adding 3.2.14 packages. 4.2.2 still most current, and still available.

Added 3.2.14-x86 packages, as per the request mentioned immediatlely above. All the usual Puppy releases are supported, and it has been patched to allow installation onto the up-and-coming Slacko release (among others), if that interests you.

Additional -amd64 dot-pets will be made up and uploaded soon, likely either tonight or tomorrow.

Otherwise, anyone interested in smaller, lighter packages who doesn't need the latest features of the 4-series releases may want to give these packages a try, too. Cool
tiangeng

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct 2012, 21:15    Post subject:  

vbox3.2.14 for precise5.4 work fine!!
Thank you very much!!

Would you build VirtualBox 2.2.4 for precise5.4? Very Happy
It's smaller,lighter.
shinobar

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:35    Post subject: virtualbox-4.2.2.sfs  

virtualbox-4.2.2.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy and Slacko.
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/
Based on the pets by TheAsterisk!, but this SFS does not support 64bit Puppies.

Built-in kernel modules:
3.1.10-slacko_4gA
3.1.10-slacko_paeA

gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2012, 12:57    Post subject:  

Anyone notice this

There is a progress that is offered. The intent is to provide "near native" performance in VM clients when dispatched in the distro host.

My concern for community use is "in the offer, there, if it impacts anything in the VM host's operations". Any tests would help provide experiences for community understanding and benefit.

Comments appreciated.

TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2012, 18:04    Post subject:  

tiangeng wrote:
vbox3.2.14 for precise5.4 work fine!!
Thank you very much!!

No problem!
Quote:
Would you build VirtualBox 2.2.4 for precise5.4? Very Happy
It's smaller,lighter.

You really like the older stuff, huh? Shocked
I've never run a VBox from before the 3-series, but you're giving me something to occupy my attention, so I'll give it a shot. No promises, though.

Next I suppose you'll ask for 1.6.6, eh? Razz

@shinobar: Thanks! I'll update the version listed in the main post's link to your SFS.
TheAsterisk!

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2012, 19:22    Post subject:  

Added 64-bit packages for VBox 3.2.14
Page 9 of 13 [188 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to: