Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

Re: Carolina

#261 Post by Billtoo »

yerc1 wrote: Hi Billtoo,

Your second wbar + tint2 theme is as gorgeous as the first!

Thanks for sharing the config file.
It is almost identical to what I have which displays the panel as one piece, while your first screenshot shows the panel in seemingly 5 parts.
How did you manage to do that?

Not in front of my linux pc atm.
Hi yerc1,

I did a search for tint2 themes and it came up with this file tint2-0.10-theme.tar.gz, it contains 10 or 11 different themes. I unpacked it in the root directory and then ran /usr/bin/tint2conf which allows you to select all the themes and then use the one that you want.
Attachments
tint2-0.10-theme.tar.gz
(3.92 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

nilsonmorales

#262 Post by nilsonmorales »

here another config of tint2 a little bit more funny

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 803#653803

yerc1

#263 Post by yerc1 »

Awesome, thanks Billtoo !

@nilsonmorales
must say your argentine (?) puppy looks interesting.
openbox with icons in right-click menu (?), don't think i've seen any like that before.

spoilt for choice here in puppyland.
now i'm like a kid in a candy store :D

nilsonmorales

#264 Post by nilsonmorales »

yerc1 : wrote
must say your argentine
openbox with icons in right -click menu
is tint2 , openbox ,conky , myGtkmenu , wbar and some fancy wallpaper
puppy make me use my imagination

i am from El Salvador

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64700867/screen ... aggio3.jpg

Marv

shutdown delay

#265 Post by Marv »

Elroy,

I tried to PM you version2 of my probepart mods but it only shows up in my outbox. ?? Sorry if it was a multiple PM. Tests are cleaner and consolidated in one place and I got globbing to work. Function is the same.

Running this on more of my stable I noted that another thing that slows probepart way down is running BLKID on an extended partition (wrapper for logicals). I typically don't use this any more but some of my old small cards from the windows era do. Added a line to test for that. Works fine, reports part info correctly on everything I can throw at it and is uniformly fast. Now at version 3.
Last edited by Marv on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

gcmartin

#266 Post by gcmartin »

This is a very polished distro.

I like so much of what you've done to create the base.

Thanks so much for LO and the many other components you have provided for a simple OOTB experience

gcmartin

#267 Post by gcmartin »

I run a Live media of Carolina from a multi-session DVD.

Questions
  • In an effort to understand proper use, should the patch for 002 be installed on the 002 base?
  • Can the PET fetch the patch from my HDD or only from the Internet?
  • Could Pemasu's muCommander from his repo on Smokey01.com be added to your repo?
Thanks in advance for any consderations.

elroy

#268 Post by elroy »

gcmartin wrote:In an effort to understand proper use, should the patch for 002 be installed on the 002 base?
The patch pet for 002 can be downloaded from the main post of this thread, under 'Patches'. It is currently carolina-updater-1.2.pet, and it will only download patches for carolina-002. However, at present there are no patches available for 002, and we're leaning toward not releasing any as the patch engine will be gone from 003. The patch engine was originally necessary for 001 due to some nasty bugs right out of the gate. But those have been resolved with 002, and being that it's much more stable than 001 was, we've decided that it would best to discontinue it in the next release.
gcmartin wrote:Can the PET fetch the patch from my HDD or only from the Internet?
Patches are only available from the internet; they're stored on the smokey01 server. But again, if you're using carolina-002 (and we certainly recommend that you do in favor of 001) there currently are no patches available, and most likely none will be released.
gcmartin wrote:Could Pemasu's muCommander from his repo on Smokey01.com be added to your repo?
Done.

elroy

Re: shutdown delay

#269 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Elroy,

I tried to PM you version2 of my probepart mods but it only shows up in my outbox. ?? Sorry if it was a multiple PM. Tests are cleaner and consolidated in one place and I got globbing to work. Function is the same.

Running this on more of my stable I noted that another thing that slows probepart way down is running BLKID on an extended partition (wrapper for logicals). I typically don't use this any more but some of my old small cards from the windows era do. Added a line to test for that. Works fine, reports part info correctly on everything I can throw at it and is uniformly fast. Now at version 3.
Thanks for the update, Marv, and no you didn't spam my inbox :wink:
I have to re-download what you sent since I was doing some builds and managed to pollute my savefile.

elroy

repo additions

#270 Post by elroy »

I've added a few more apps to the repository.
  • A newer version of minitube. Works, and so does downloading.
  • abe - A retro-platform game that runs fast on standard setup.
  • angband - A console based roguelike dungeon exploration game.
  • barrage - A point & click artillery game.
  • mucommander - A double-pane file manager.
  • arora - An extremely light-weight web browser. Flash OOTB with the standard Carolina.

Geoffrey

#271 Post by Geoffrey »

Uploaded these java apps to the repo

• drawswf - swf creator

• pixelitor - image editor

• charmap - Display Characters and Copy to System Clipboard, see sample below.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

linux

#272 Post by linux »

Just looked on the news page. The Xdelta utility sounds like a great idea.

Thanks again to everyone involved with Carolina

gcmartin

Problems saving session via PupSaveConfig to DVD

#273 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for your replies. The 2 of you have made an excellent contribution to this community.

muCommander
thanks for adding that JAVA app, muCommander. I'm sure that some of us welcome this tool for file-folder manipulation, comparisons, balancing and corrections.

Patch
I started tests of Carolina at the 002 level. I noticed a "lina Patcher" on my desktop and was wondering on its timing and use. And, I had noticed on the Smokey01 site the folder for patches, as well. This is what prompted my questions.

FirstRUN
I want to THANK YOU for Shinobar's FirstRUN utility you use. This does everything, all in a single scree!n, for my startup needs in the local desktop and initial LAN needs. Simple,quick, and to the point. Thanks

PupSaveConfig
As a Live media user, I did run into usability issues with PupSaveConfig in 002. The screen info is misleading, and my efforts to save the session is having some difficulty on reboot in finding the saved session.

I wasn't sure if this should be addressed in this thread or if it should be directed to the PupSaveConfig thread. My intent simply surrounds booting the multi-session Live media, tailoring desktop needs, use and test, and finally saving all work back onto the Live media for subsequent reboot and use. Nothing fancy..But, as mentioned, the save to DVD is not generating expected results to support reboot with last session changes.

PLEASE PM me with what you recommend about PupSaveConfig.

Here to help
Attachments
FirstRUN_PersonlaizeSettings.png
This does everything that my system startup needs in a single screen. Thanks
(34.66 KiB) Downloaded 1158 times
PupSaveConfig.png
The screen's info does NOT match the OPTIONS FOR USE.
(21.36 KiB) Downloaded 1195 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.

KJ

PupSaveConfig 2.2.2

#274 Post by KJ »

I seldom have tried Puppy live multisession and have had mixed results. However, PupSaveConfig 2.2.2 has a problem when running frugal install from a flash drive and the save interval is set to "0" (should save only manually and when prompted at shutdown). It still saves auto saves every 30 minutes unless line 9 of pup_event_frontend_d is also set to:

Code: Select all

[ "$RAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && RAMSAVEINTERVAL=0 #412
There is some discussion about this issue starting on page 219 of the Saluki Forum. PupSaveConfig 2.2.4 may have corrected this problem. Interestingly, this autosave problem has only appeared in Saluki and now Carolina002 .... I have ran several other Puppy Derivatives without autosave problems ..... Thanks for your continued work on Carolina .... I like the modular approach offered with Adrive. Thanks again .. KJ
Last edited by KJ on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

KJ

Frisbee issue

#275 Post by KJ »

I also have not been able to get Frisbee tray epplet to show any network activity. I run eth0 just find but there is no indication of connection or activity from Fresbee on the tray. Thanks ..KJ

elroy

Re: Problems saving session via PupSaveConfig to DVD

#276 Post by elroy »

gcmartin wrote:I want to THANK YOU for Shinobar's FirstRUN utility you use. This does everything, all in a single scree!n, for my startup needs in the local desktop and initial LAN needs. Simple,quick, and to the point.
Carolina 003 will have an added button to configure the firewall from the FirstRUN utility.
gcmartin wrote:As a Live media user, I did run into usability issues with PupSaveConfig in 002. The screen info is misleading, and my efforts to save the session is having some difficulty on reboot in finding the saved session.
I'm currently testing version 2.2.4 of the PupSaveConfig. Hopefully that will help with what you're experiencing. As far as the screen info being misleading, you're correct. It should read 'Control Panel > System > PupSaveConfig personal storage setup'.

elroy

Re: Frisbee issue

#277 Post by elroy »

KJ wrote:I also have not been able to get Frisbee tray epplet to show any network activity. I run eth0 just find but there is no indication of connection or activity from Fresbee on the tray.
Does this happen even after rebooting?
Have you been using the Internet Connection Wizard, also? Or just Frisbee?

cthisbear

#278 Post by cthisbear »

" Sometimes....very infrequently in Frisbee you have to

>> delete your profiles

Restart

>> Hit Connect

Frisbee starts...

Select >> Wireless Diagnostics

Select Ap_scan

Change the >> Ap_scan Parameter

from 1 to >> 2
for a better connection to a hidden network

Exit Frisbee

Hit Connect >> Frisbee starts...>>

Hit Wireless Network refresh

A few moments later...networks reappear

Fill in your details...and Frisbee connects.

Chris.

mavrothal

Re: Frisbee issue

#279 Post by mavrothal »

KJ wrote:I also have not been able to get Frisbee tray epplet to show any network activity. I run eth0 just find but there is no indication of connection or activity from Fresbee on the tray. Thanks ..KJ
I have a similar problem but that's because frisbee_tray runs before the connection is established. Decreasing the sleep time in /etc/init.d/Frisbee or increasing sleep time in /root/Startup/frisbee_tray fixes that.
Does just running frisbee at a later point fixes the tray icon?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

okokoook

#280 Post by okokoook »

hi i am currently using the carolina 002, everything looks fine. i see the default action of opening the folder in thunar is by single click with underlining the folder name in shadow. i was just wondering could anyone tell me how to config the action back to double click opening the folder with no shadow and underline.

thank you in advance.

michael