Novice can't get CD to boot.

Booting, installing, newbie
Ardee

Novice can't get CD to boot.

#1 Post by Ardee »

I've copied the iso files for both 2.02 and barebones to CD's, and the machine cannot find a boot record on either. Ubuntu and Windows discs boot with no problem.

What exactly does the machine look for? (It's a P2 400MHz.)

Runemaster

#2 Post by Runemaster »

First off make sure that your BIOS will allow booting from a cd, because some won't let you do that, secondly make sure you just didn't burn the iso file on there, you'll need a program that can burn an image to the cd and when it gets done there should be 6 or 7 files on the cd, when the program burns an iso to cd correctly the iso is uncompressed, and the program will give the disk all the nececcary boot files, allowing the cd to be booted when the machine tunrs on. heres a link to a page where you can download a program called burncdcc and its kind of hard to mess up with this because the porgrams only purpose is to burn images to cds.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html

Ardee

#3 Post by Ardee »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I burned a data disc instead of an image. I still don't know what the difference is, but I do intend to find out.

Eyes-Only

#4 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Ardee! :)

Okie... here's how to look at it: And .iso file is like a .zip file, see? And I'm sure that in your travels around the net you've downloaded those, right? And you have to use a programme like WinZip to open the .zip file to see the documents, or the photos, or even run the programmes inside, right?

Ah! And that's an .iso file my friend. :) Just under another name instead of ".zip". So when you save just the .iso to disk it's like saving the .zip file, see? You can't see the photos or run the programme, no?

So, you make an "image of the .iso" on the disk, which means that it's being "unzipped" in a special way that only a special programme (like Runemaster pointed to in a link) can open up. Then that programme, once placed into the disk drive, if your BIOS is set right so you can boot from the disk drive, will see the operating system on the disk---and voila!---you're in business and having FUN! :D

Like all of us here. :D

I hope this explanation helps?

Amicalement / In friendship,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"