Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1261 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. You are right. The power saving parameter stays unaffected. I found this helpful page:
http://ptspts.blogspot.fi/2009/10/scree ... saver.html

I think is fairly safe to say that you need this to get no blanking working with DMPS enabled screens:
xset s off dpms 0 0 0 or this:
xset s off dpms 0 0 0 -dpms

You learn always something new when someone stubborn enough starts to dig things. I hope radky will follow this discussion, so that he could think of modifying PupControl Screensaver script accordingly.

pupx thread is here. It is script and gui done by Barry Kauler and Nathan F. The dpms powersaving fix after 10 minutes would need that script editing to have pupx also disabling power saving.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28324

Tman

Re: No Desktop Icon Problem with Exprimo 5x3.4.12

#1262 Post by Tman »

Xtanova wrote:though the PuppyPin file was only having backdrop reference for the "Pwidgets" application.

After searching I could guess there might be an incompatibility issue for the conky based Pwidgets with dpup distro's generally .. that's is why the desktop was reverting to its default settings in my case ..
I had to do some digging to find out what you were talking about with Pwidgets and the desktop reverting back to default.

I have and older version of Pwidgets installed in my pup, but to be honest, I don't really use Pwidgets these days. So I loaded pwidgets and tried to duplicate your problem:

When I changed my desktop background to one different from the default wallaper and launched pwidgets; the background changed to the default one after I went to File -> Stop/Start Pwidgets and clicked on apply. Now there is a hidden folder named /root/.pwidgets. If you open it up and Start pwidgets, you will see that a png image is created named "Pwidgets_background". When you stop pwidgets, this image gets deleted. So it has nothing to do with the PuppyPin file, but just copies whatever is the default background in the /usr/share/backgrounds folder.

Anyhow, if you go to the first page of the Pwidgets thread, you will notice a link to 01micko's updated Nathan Wallpaper Setter. I have just tested it, and confirmed that works better with the Pwidgets background than the default pwallpaper that comes with Wary.

linuph

#1263 Post by linuph »

pemasu

There were some errors in my pupx, don't know how they got there. Undoubtedly my doing. Sorry.

After reinstating the original pupx .xset.sh is now written to /root.
However, the dpms setting thing remains.

Xtanova

#1264 Post by Xtanova »

@Tman:
01micko wrote: In Dpup it is a different story. "Pwallset" seems to be firm. You can go to /usr/local/apps (in Dpup) and look inside Wallpaper and you will see that Apprun is there, that will run the hacked wallpaper setter for Pwidgets. (I haven't tried this, I just turned off the sidebar in my Dpup, but it might work). If it doesn't work you could disable Pwallset in case there is a conflict.
In the beginning i had the background reverting back to the default wallpaper, but when I copied my wallpaper to /usr/share/backgrounds, it didn't revert back!! what is interesting here is that the alpha bar surrounding the icons of "Wbar" sometimes shows the default wallpaper laying under the hacked wallpaper ... My issue was with the icons are coming back, when i have the pwidgets loaded at startup..by removing the puppypin tmp as per your advice it solved the issue.

There is a coding conflict Tman that makes this, and I may need two years in Linux to be able to identify it .. and to evade the conflict one side must be disabled since we don't know the source of the conflict .. I disabled the rox icons, and 01micko suggested to disable the Pwallset even , till the source of the issue is known, remarkable proof is that many widgets don't load .. try all the widgets in a dpup distro and tell me if they all worked.
Last edited by Xtanova on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1265 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. Yep, your hacking with pupx probably has broken it.
Anyway....I can add that 'dpms 0 0 0 -dpms' to the pupx so that it will be there next time I release dpup.

And you can test it also by changing about 117 line to look like this:
SCREENSAVERPARAMS="s off dpms 0 0 0 -dpms"

And you get the dpms disabling and also set as zero standby, suspend and powersaving.

But.....there are several factors which might turn the dpms back on. some graphics kernel module drivers has dpms governing, some multimedia apps can change the dpms settings, usually there is also some preferences to change those features....power management scripts can have dpms setting rules etc.....

So...creating 100 % bullet proof 'dmps off' system ....is difficult.

linuph

#1266 Post by linuph »

OK testing SCREENSAVERPARAMS="s off dpms 0 0 0 -dpms" in pupx.

I'm aware that other applications may address xset. Assuming that these applications turn screensaving off correctly (and I think they do because if done improperly that would be obvious immediately), the question is if and how the previous xset state is reinstated. The smart way would be to read the current state, store it, change state and reinstate upon exit.

Or maybe there is another ways besides xset.....?

anikin

#1267 Post by anikin »

I'm sorry for having to ask this petty question here . . . well, how do you change font size in 1) tempicon, 2) network splash popups (eth0 is down, requesting ip address for wlan0 and such), 3) control panel gui.
Thank you in advance.

Tman

#1268 Post by Tman »

Xtanova wrote:what is interesting here is that the alpha bar surrounding the icons of "Wbar" sometimes shows the default wallpaper laying under the hacked wallpaper

.. try all the widgets in a dpup distro and tell me if they all worked.
I admit, I haven't tried all of the widgets, nor wbar in dpup; hoepfully, if you report it in the Pwidgets thread, a solution will arise.
I have encountered problems with wbar and the wallpaper setter, when changing backgrounds. My solution was to create a wrapper script that disables wbar, runs the wallpaper program, and then reloads wbar after you exit the wallpaper setter. I had to do this in Solidpup, which comes with wbar.

Attached is a similar wrapper pet that I will be switching to, since I will also be switching from pwallpaper to Nathan Wallpaper Setter. This wrapper will not effect the function of the Wallpaper setter if wbar is not installed.
Attachments
wbar_wallpaper_wrapper.pet
(699 Bytes) Downloaded 679 times

pemasu

#1269 Post by pemasu »

Anikin. There are couple of scripts which call /usr/bin/xpupsay in several places of those scripts.
So...to globally change all those pop up message font sizes.....I would do it with wrapper script.
But...it wont change the bubble size. I dont know how to change it....so reduced font size would look quite ridiculous in bigger bubble....so I would eliminate the bubble.

Rename /usr/bin/xpupsay to /usr/bin/xpupsay-bin.
After that install the attached pet, it contains wrapper script where you can change the parameters: /usr/bin/xpupsay.
Row 11 has backround definition, you can change the colour with Hex values, which you get with Mtpaint using Palette editor. You can play with the script more. Change the default timeout etc....
If you want still just smaller fonts in bubble and see my logo, just leave first 2 rows, I mean remove all the rest... and uncomment the second row and change the font as you want in it. Then it changes the font size inside the bubble and all the other is intact.
That wrapper script has been created by genious Tazoc. Once again, not my product.

And if you want to get rid of xpupsay...just remove /usr/bin/xpupsay.

About tempicon. Now you have to ask 01micko, who has created the tempicon tray app. I only know that the displayed numbers come from here: /etc/tempicon

3) control panel gui. >>>> Do you mean PupControl. I dont have slightest idea how to change the font size inside that app. Radky is the developer and he is really helpful. Just pm him.
Attachments
xpupsay-wrapper-0.0.1.pet
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 651 times

anikin

#1270 Post by anikin »

Hi pemasu, I will play with those settings - didn't realize the bubbles had a fixed size. They look a bit too big on my 10' eeepc. I installed some MS fonts and trying to get a 'unified' appearance of menus. Also took note of your comment on the Carolina forum regarding fonts+Qt - great tip, btw. My head is exploding - Linux knows how to hide fonts settings . . . and it knows how to scare a noob. Kiitos for all your help.

linuph

#1271 Post by linuph »

pemasu
OK testing SCREENSAVERPARAMS="s off dpms 0 0 0 -dpms" in pupx.
It didn't work out as I hoped. So...more digging, this time into the workings of xset. I hope it is somewhat useful....

#20921 <linuph>

How to use xset.

Xset is a tool to tweak X-server. There is lots of information to be found on the Internet. There are many questions and problems to be found too. Often the source of information is the same, incomplete, incorrect and confusing. After quite some looking up and trying I may have found the truth about xset.
Mind that there may be slightly different executions depending on the Linux kernel version and/or X-server version. This little piece was written for Puppy Linux Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

Xset has two distinct functions: screenblanking and powersaving including screenblanking. I deliberately use the word 'screenblanking' here to avoid a mixup with screensavers like xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver and others, even if xset uses the word 'screensaver' which is technically correct.
Xset came to the scene a long time ago when computers were equiped with CRT's and way before power saving (Energy Star, also technically know a DPMS or 'Display Power Management System') became a requirement.
Some DPMS functions therefore have no noticable effect with LCD screens. That is explained below.
If both functions are running screenblanking could kick in by either function or both. There is no visible difference: after all it's just screenblanking. So we have to correctly set the parameters of both functions to get what we want. Here is what I found so far:

# 1. Screenblanking xset s [options]

# xset s noblank : shows a large "X" when screen blanking kicks in
# xset s blank : will blank the screen only and not show the "X"
# xset s default : sets defaults timeout and cycle to 600 seconds and
blanking and exposure on
# xset s on : same as default
# xset s off : sets the timeout to zero = no screen blanking
# xset s expose : allows window re-exposures, i.e. redraws
# xset s noexpose : disables screenblanking unless the X server can
re-exposure (redraw)
# xset s activate : activates screenblanking immediately
# xset s reset : reset the screen after activate (to be used from a
shell)
# xset s [timeout] [cycle] : screen blanking kicks in after [timeout]
seconds. With 'blank' the screen simply blanks.
With 'noblank' set, an 'X' appears that varies in
size and position every [cycle] seconds.

At reboot blank is set, noexpose is set and cycle is set to 600. Other values remain as is.

# 2. DPMS power saving and screenblanking (Energy Star) *dpms, dpms [option]

# dpms [standby] : turns of the electron beam of a CRT after
[standby] seconds
# [suspend] : turns of the CRT monitor power supply
after [suspend] seconds
# [off] : turns of all power to the CRT monitor after [off]
seconds
The effect on a LCD montor is that screenblanking kicks in with either parameter larger than '0'. That is how it works with my monitor. Backlighting is then turned off in all cases. Other LCD's could recognize turning off of the backlighting (standby or suspend) seperately.

# If dpms is on (+dpms, see below), the lowest value except '0' will
kick off screenblanking.
Examples
xset dpms 0 0 5: kick off = 5
xset dpms 0 5 15: kick off= 5
xset dpms 15 5 5: kick off= 5
xset dpms 5 0 0: kick off = 5

# -dpms : turns dpms function off
# +dpms : turns dpms function on, dpms [standby[suspend[off]]] activated
# dpms force standby : blanks screen immediately
# dpms force suspend : same
# dpsm force off : same
# dpms force on : turns dpms on, same as +dpms
# Except for -dpms, all commands above turn DPMS on. If DPMS is on, xset q will show 'Monitor is on' meaning that DPMS is monitoring the system for user activity.

I think (hope) that the above is at least largely correct. I look forward to any comments.

ps I coudn't get the formatting quite correct....

Arefacti

sfs heavy encryption failed at reboot

#1272 Post by Arefacti »

Hello,
I just discovered the distributions Puppies. So I installed a lot lately. Yours is really complete solid and beautiful. However, I encounter a problem, an error during reboot after choosing to make a backup heavy (on ext2) :
"Failure to load encrypted save file properly".
Well, I tried to do the same with lupu 528 and when you want to do an encrypted backup sfs, we are warned that "due to a bug linux" must write twice the password.
Reboot after this, happens without problem with the encrypted backup sfs .
My question is:
Perhaps if the problem seems to be clearly identified by Barry Kauler, is it possible to solve in Dpup ?
thank you!

Perhaps the problem is on another thread but my english is so bad..so if yes, just apologize me :oops:

pemasu

#1273 Post by pemasu »

Arefacti. I can create and use heavy encrypted savefile.squeezesave_crypta.4fs in dpup. It has been several version earlier when I got bug report and I switched to use /sbin/losetup-FULL and it should have fixed the problem with decoding the encryption.

I just tested it again and it worked for me.

I used simple 2 letter password. I do have ext4 filesystem, frugal installation. In what filesystem and installation did you use, so that I could test it again in same circumstances.

Arefacti

#1274 Post by Arefacti »

pemasu wrote:Arefacti. I can create and use heavy encrypted savefile.squeezesave_crypta.4fs in dpup. It has been several version earlier when I got bug report and I switched to use /sbin/losetup-FULL and it should have fixed the problem with decoding the encryption.

I just tested it again and it worked for me.

I used simple 2 letter password. I do have ext4 filesystem, frugal installation. In what filesystem and installation did you use, so that I could test it again in same circumstances.
Thanks pemasu for your answer !

the filesystem where the encrypted save is ext2 ( I thought it was necessary), and the installation is "on an usb (fat32)",
that is to say no frugal or other install on hard drive, because the PC have other system on is hd and I can't touch it).
So, puppy is VERY nice too for that !

mcewanw

#1275 Post by mcewanw »

I have now downloaded Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 and tested it on two of my machines.

Boots fine on both of them and is a nice looking distribution, though turns out to have problems with the older machine:

First machine is a desktop with an Intel Pentium D CPU and 1MByte RAM. I installed pavrecord-0.9.1 (latest version) on that machine and it all tested good, including video preview, video/webcam recording, jpeg creation, and x11grab screencasts with audio. I also installed precord-1.8.4 (latest version), and it worked fine in your Dpup Exprimo too, on this machine.

The second machine is an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop with Pentium mobile processor and 1 Mbyte RAM. Again Dpup booted up fine and all seemed well. However, I discovered that ffmpeg wouldn't record video4linux2 videos under Dpup Exprimo on this machine, for some reason, so pavrecord couldn't work correctly. Oddly, x11grab (using pavrecord) did work even on this machine (but not webcam recording).

I guess my old laptop simply doesn't like the newish kernel. That particular laptop doesn't like Barry's latest Precise either (it won't run the PAE kernel). Nothing to worry about, the machine is just showing its age...
github mcewanw

mikeslr

Gprated problem in 5.X.3.4.12

#1276 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu,

rcrsn51 mentioned this before:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 532#658532
While attempting to create a bootable USB-Key frugal install of Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12, I called up gparted intending to reformat the Key. Gparted 0.7.0 in Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel did not recognize the partition table on a Fat32 USB-Key created using some other OS (Don't recall which). Lupu 5.28 does, and Exprimo is able to browse the folders on that Key. Reformatting using either Lupu or the latest Slacko did not create a partition table recognized by Exprimo, and without such table, Exprimo's Gparted could do nothing with it. Precise recognized the table. So did Exprimo 5.X.3..6.2.1 with kernel 3.6.2. Formatting using Exprimo 5.X.3.6.2.2 also produced a partition table unrecognized by Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12.
Another piece of the puzzle: After formatting using 5.X.3.6.2.1, I switched back to 3.4.12 and attempted to install Grub4Dos. Although, while using 3.6.2.1's gparted, I had set the flag to "boot," 3.4.12's Grub4Dos reported that the no flag had been set or it couldn't find it, or something.. Switching back to 3.6.3.1, I had no problem installing Grub4Dos to the Key and creating a bootable Puppy.

mikesLr

charlie6

redundant network connection at startup ?

#1277 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
this happens on 5.X.3.4.12 as and 5.X.3.6.2 as well:

my PC is connected with one or two others on an internal ethernet network;

This happened once that the ethernet connection went broken for any reason - this happened using FF14, 15, and now 16.0.1.

Restarting X did not help to get the ethernet connection again.

I would have found a solution whitout need to reboot.
So, as i did not know what to do, i did as on puppies 412, 420 etc..., i went into menu and activated the good-old-manual-internet-connection-wizard.

Using SNS, I finanly got an ethernet connection again ... but before that, exprimo seemed to perform several trials to get the ethernet (i.e. eth0) again:
- there were displayed several times the splash withe/blue-dog-head telling «eth0 is down»;and then nothing more.
- running Simple Network Settings reports that there is no erh0 connection ;
- aftrwds running there DHCP helps to get the internet connection again;

Now when rebooting, i got two times displayed the splash withe/blue-dog-head telling two times one after the other
- «Recquiring IP adress for eth0»
and afterwards, two times again
- «IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xx acquired for eth0» (note: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx is one of my IP adesses)

So Exprimo now looks as if it has two network connection search running parallel;

Now, i left whit the question: «how to get back the eth0 when broken without rebooting?» and without using SNS?

Thanks for any help

Cheers,
Charlie

pemasu

#1278 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. You have 2 dhcpcd running...that is the reason. It behaves as it should when you use SNS without disabling Frisbee first.
If you dont disable Frisbee and you use SNS....you should have 2 parallel dhcpcd running.

You should use first Menu > Network > Frisbee enable-disable manager and disable Frisbee with it and reboot. There is some connections still alive if you dont reboot.
....Or suffer the conflicting 2 dhpcd connections...which probably does not do good for connections. :D

About those losing network connections....I cant say anything reasonable/sensible atm.....

recobayu

boundary in rox

#1279 Post by recobayu »

hi pemasu,
i'm very like the aurora2 gtktheme. it's look like apple, great. :). But when I open rox filer, then i want to select a file by keyboard, i have difficult to choose where's the file i select.
i just discovered a way to show the box bounding a file/folder when we select that in rox filer.
there is in /root/.gtkrc.mine, i add a small gtk script and i put a "select.png" in midi-icons. i make it to a pet file.
after install this pet, please select a gtktheme and then apply.
go to rox filer, now we can see that.
thanks in advance
Attachments
focusrox.pet
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 801 times

pemasu

#1280 Post by pemasu »

Thanks recobayu. select.png will be added to the next release surely.
Thank you ! :D