Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

#761 Post by Colonel Panic »

Colonel Panic wrote:
nooby wrote:Thanks, Surprise that that version of Bloathy produce ä and ö
on an English keyboard?
Yes, oops! It must have selected the wrong keyboard when it loaded. Sorry to anyone who struggled to read my post. It's a good distro anyway even if I can't use it at home at the moment.

I'm testing out Solus and Saline at the moment, two distros based on Debian. Saline uses XFCE as its desktop manager whereas Solus uses Gnome 2 instead. I like the look of Saline a bit better (lovely wallpaper of a school of dolphins swimming underwater, for a start), but Solus comes with Firefox as standard whereas I couldn't find a way to install Firefox from the live disk, so Solus was the one I installed.

It's my first day of using it but already it looks very impressive.
A quick update here; I'm now testing Saline (1.7). It's one of the best looking distros I've used but unfortunately it only uses "free" aps (i.e. not firefox, opera etc.) and Iceweasel crashes on youtube sometimes so I installed Iceape instead. You have to install flash too (I used flashplugin-nonfree).

Otherwise it's working fine so far. I think Swift 2, based on Mint Debian, is less trouble though not as visually attractive (it doesn't really aim to be).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#762 Post by nooby »

DistroWatch announce Slax 7.0

they write
Tomáš Matějí
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#763 Post by James C »

Trying out Zenlive 7.2....... seems pretty good so far.Another Slackware based distro with XFCE 4.10.

http://www.zenwalk.org/
Attachments
Zenlive-.jpg
(29.86 KiB) Downloaded 946 times

James C

#764 Post by James C »

Just finished an installation of Vector 7.0 Gold.Seems pretty quick. Sharing the hard drive with Xubuntu 12.04.1, Zenwalk 7.0 and a bunch of Pup's. :)

nitehawk

#765 Post by nitehawk »

James C,..
VectorLinux has always been my all-time favorite for a "bigger" distro than Puppy (when I need a bigger distro than Puppy, that is...which isn't too often). However,....my VectorLinux 7 standard install CD seems to have gotten corrupted somehow. It no longer will install <alas> :cry:

I have just broke down and installed Slackware 14,....then used a LOT of the apps off of the VectorLinux CD to "flesh out" Slackware. Stuff like Opera,...Flash,...Win32 codecs,...and the Wine package, (from the Salix repositories). Seems to work fine.

Plus,...Doing a full install of Slackware,..with KDE and the KDEgames (then using just the smaller XFCE desktop)...gives me the games for my grandson,....but a smaller DE for me. But I actually prefer VectorLinix over Slackware.

gcmartin

#766 Post by gcmartin »

I am not a proponent for Microsoft or Apple. Or, even Linux. I can use them all for productive work.

I am a proponent for ease of use and "simple user use" of every system design and implementation I've ever been a part of.

One of the things that I find important is the understanding of the design intent by what is put forward for enterprise, business, consumer, casual use.

In doing so, I try as best as I can to guide people on need (requirements) and on desire (Ihow user(s) like to work) as being the MOST important approaches.

One of the most recent changes in the technology landscape is being introduced this week by Microsoft in its Surface and its Window8. The IT landscape is moving to Tablet orientations started by Apple. We are on the doorstep of a in your hand revolution that has gotten much traction in enterprises and governments this year with its roots starting from users using seemingly easy to understand devices in their hands.

One of the problems many of us will have is understanding and keeping clear on what Microsoft is offering. There are 2 CPU versions of Windows8s that kinda look like twins. They are not, but, its important to understand what one has over the other.

Here some understanding
and, there are several others that have posted this week, too.

Again, I MUST RE-iterate....This is neither a recommendation or an endorsement of Apple or Microsoft or LInux or REACTOS or UNIX or .... Its just some information for community understanding.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#767 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Bodhi 2.1.0 64 bit version, using gnome.
I like it.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(61.85 KiB) Downloaded 1225 times

Colonel Panic

#768 Post by Colonel Panic »

nitehawk wrote:James C,..
VectorLinux has always been my all-time favorite for a "bigger" distro than Puppy (when I need a bigger distro than Puppy, that is...which isn't too often). However,....my VectorLinux 7 standard install CD seems to have gotten corrupted somehow. It no longer will install <alas> :cry:

I have just broke down and installed Slackware 14,....then used a LOT of the apps off of the VectorLinux CD to "flesh out" Slackware. Stuff like Opera,...Flash,...Win32 codecs,...and the Wine package, (from the Salix repositories). Seems to work fine.

Plus,...Doing a full install of Slackware,..with KDE and the KDEgames (then using just the smaller XFCE desktop)...gives me the games for my grandson,....but a smaller DE for me. But I actually prefer VectorLinix over Slackware.
Sounds good; I've got an old release candidate of Slack 14 somewhere that I've been meaning to install.

I've always liked Vector too, but these days I feel it's underdeveloped. For example, it offers you a choice of window managers other than the default XFce, which is good, but if you choose Fluxbox the menu isn't set up properly for the apps which come with it; you have to do that yourself.

And for some strange reason the default app for opening pdf files is gimp (a problem it shares with some arch-based distros).

I've reinstalled AntiX but am having trouble installing any new apps (!), so I'm off to their forum next to find out how to access some more repos.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#769 Post by Billtoo »

I installed ubuntu 12.10 64 bit version on a newer hp desktop.
It's fast and running well althought a popup wanting a bug report came
up a couple of times, to do with compiz.

EDIT: I added mint 13 xfce4 to another partition on the hard drive and it's working well.
Bodhi,Ubuntu 12.10, and Mint 13 xfce4 are all nice, I think Mint is the one that I'll use most.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(188.68 KiB) Downloaded 1022 times
screenshot.jpg
(116.41 KiB) Downloaded 1137 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#770 Post by bark_bark_bark »

When it comes to Ubuntu, I prefer the latest LTS release over the current releases. It saves me a lot of time.

Colonel Panic

#771 Post by Colonel Panic »

Two duds (on my machine) to report unfortunately.

Snow Linux 3.1 was a great live disk but unfortunately it stalled when I tried to install it and didn't install completely (could have been a bad burn I suppose but then why did it work well live?).

Watt OS6 was one I wanted to like because I really like the way it looks, but I couldn't get sound working on it or install any new software. Oh well.

James C

#772 Post by James C »

Rosa 2012 Gnome......still Gnome 2 and legacy Grub.Longtime Mandriva user so I'll give this a try.......

http://www.koryavov.net/2012/08/rosa-ma ... final.html

cowboy

linux lite anyone

#773 Post by cowboy »

Linux Lite anyone? Well reviewed in PC World about a week back, XFCE desktop, based on Ubuntu LTS. 5 years of updates, theoretically.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lite

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2013183/ ... 1-0-0.html
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

dennis-slacko531

I found an Arch Live CD today with Fluxbox

#774 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

It is 620MB... I've been trying to better learn Arch this is educational and strictly a live cd distro. Too bad the developer didn't consider frugal installation, but he added powerful scripts and easily installed on my 3rd ext4 partition. It was then I discovered no apps get installed, just a base Arch with Fluxbox, which is I guess the Arch way...

It may get refreshed soon, as it's about 20 months old now. Hope he believes in frugal installs like us.

http://fluxcapacity.99k.org//index.php?co%20ntent=about

James C

Re: I found an Arch Live CD today with Fluxbox

#775 Post by James C »

It is 620MB... I've been trying to better learn Arch this is educational and strictly a live cd distro. Too bad the developer didn't consider frugal installation, but he added powerful scripts and easily installed on my 3rd ext4 partition. It was then I discovered no apps get installed, just a base Arch with Fluxbox, which is I guess the Arch way...

It may get refreshed soon, as it's about 20 months old now. Hope he believes in frugal installs like us.

http://fluxcapacity.99k.org//index.php?content=about

Fixed the post... :)

Had an extra space in the url.

Colonel Panic

#776 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just a quick update; I managed to get Snow Linux installed on my machine. Second time lucky I guess.

Chakra's pretty good too, although the repository's a bit limited for anyone used to a Debian-based distro.

James C

#777 Post by James C »

Recently installed Absolute 14.0 on an old P3.
http://www.absolutelinux.org/

Based on the latest Slackware 14...... kernel 3.2.29. Not bad on this old slow machine.And allows running as root too. :)

Colonel Panic

#778 Post by Colonel Panic »

James C wrote:Recently installed Absolute 14.0 on an old P3.
http://www.absolutelinux.org/

Based on the latest Slackware 14...... kernel 3.2.29. Not bad on this old slow machine.And allows running as root too. :)
Yeah, Absolute is a good Slack-based distro, and I really like the games on it (Anagramarama, Concentration and Icebreaker). I wish other distros had those even in the repos.

Has it got package management yet though? In the earlier version of Absolute I tried, you pretty much had to install packages from source and work out the dependencies yourself (the main bugbear with Slackware and its derivatives)

nooby

#779 Post by nooby »

I wish I could test latest version of Core-Plus 4.7
they tell about it on Distrowatch. Talk about smc?
whatever that is. I don't dare to ask anything on
their forum anymore. They don't like reluctant noobs
that ask same thing again and again and still not get it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Jim1911

Windows 8 Pro

#780 Post by Jim1911 »

I definitely prefer puppy, but the good news is that setting up and exploring Windows 8 is relatively cheap and easy. You can buy five upgrade licenses for $40. The official site states that you can upgrade from XP, Vista, or Win7. I upgraded my copy of Vista which went fine and after installation I used Fatdog 64 to reinstall grub4dos so that I could boot all my linux os. It's working great, although it was time consuming because for a Vista upgrade, all extra software has to be reinstalled. Vista users should consider the upgrade, XP or Windows 7 users probably would not benefit unless they like the new look and feel.

JIm