I need a window manager with these features

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
slenkar

I need a window manager with these features

#1 Post by slenkar »

Is there a window manager that has the scroll bar on the right,
up against the side of the screen?
When I put my mouse on the right side of the screen it turns into a resizer but I want it to be on the scrollbar.

Also when I use wmswitcher it never works, Im always returned to JWM.

WHen I kill X and try to start a WM manually it never works either, the applications like firefox have no scrollbars or anything

I installed yeahwm and sithwm
I kill X and type in xwin yeahwm but then I get no window manager at all.

I went to the puppy wiki that says 'how to change your window manager' but every single link on that page is dead

musher0

Re: need a window manager that...

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, slenkar.

I'll try to answer a few of your questions, in no particular order.
slenkar wrote:Is there a window manager that has the scroll bar on the right,
up against the side of the screen?
When I put my mouse on the right side of the screen it turns into a resizer but I want it to be on the scrollbar.

Also when I use wmswitcher it never works, Im always returned to JWM.

WHen I kill X and try to start a WM manually it never works either, the applications like firefox have no scrollbars or anything

I installed yeahwm and sithwm
I kill X and type in xwin yeahwm but then I get no window manager at all.

I went to the puppy wiki that says 'how to change your window manager' but every single link on that page is dead
1) I belive most window managers put the scrollbar on the right of the program window. Your window may be bigger or smaller, almost full screen or rather tiny, it doesn't matter, the scroolbar will stay within the program window, it will never be on the side of the screen.

2) If you can't launch a particular window manager, it's usually because your puppy does not have all the libraries necessary for it. What Puppy and Puppy version are you using, please?

3) About all the links on the window manager being dead, may I suggest you contact the author of that page or leave a message to John Murga himself (the very generous member who makes this entire forum available).

4) In some window managers, you can configure the behaviour your mouse triggers when it hits the side of the screen. Ex. icewm can be configured so that you go to the next desktop when your mouse or cursor hits the left side or top, etc. of the screen. This is different from the scrollbar within your program window.

5) In some window managers, such as pekwm, you can define some programs to start with no program window except maybe a two-pixels line around it. If you try

xwin firefox

it won't work, because firefox needs X.org (the Linux equivalent of Windows) to run.

From the general command console (the initial black screen), you can only launch console applications if X is not activated.

I hope that helps. Please do not hesitate to ask other questions pertaining to your problem. I'm sure we can solve this! :)

Best regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

slenkar

#3 Post by slenkar »

1)y'know how in Windows when an app e.g. web browser is maximised,

the scrollbar extends all the way to the right side of the screen,

in puppy it doesnt, I know its just a little thing but it annoys me :twisted:

2)the latest slacko
5.3 I think

3)he might be angry at me :cry:

4) XFCE does what I want but most links are dead

)

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Hi, slenkar.

1) Never seen that bug before. Unless... your actual monitor (the physical hardware) does not have the right parameters for width. Your software image may be some pixels too wide for the actual width of your monitor. Have you tried doing an automatic resizing of your monitor? There's usually a series of buttons on the front of the monitor to parameter it correctly.

2) Very good derivative, thoroughly tested.

3) I doubt that, members here are quite civilized, we don't keep grudges! :D

4) For an xfce puppy, please see http://saluki-linux.com/ and
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 49&t=73687
You won't regret it. There should be all sorts of links there.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

slenkar

#5 Post by slenkar »

thanks do you think I could install saluki from puppylinux or do I have to burn a CD?

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

slenkar wrote:thanks do you think I could install saluki from puppylinux or do I have to burn a CD?
I think it's simpler if you burn a CD.

You can do a frugal install of any Puppy from any other Puppy, or of any linux to any linux, for that matter, but it's a bit involved.

Just burn the Saluki CD, run it, change your country parameters, etc.
(as usual), then create your pupsave file; when asked, copy the sfs's to your hard drive and reboot from the same CD.

This time it will boot faster though, because the CD only uses the boot part proper, the rest of the launch will be based on the sfs's you've copied to your hard drive.

Best of luck.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

technosaurus

Re: need a window manager that...

#7 Post by technosaurus »

musher0 wrote:it won't work, because firefox needs X.org (the Linux equivalent of Windows) to run.

Code: Select all

Xvesa -screen 1024x768x24 & sleep 1 && seamonkey --display=:0
works but can be a PITA, and should work for firefox too, but I don't have it installed
Attachments
example.png
(10.34 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

Interesting. I didn't know that.

What does "PITA"refer to, please ?

Thanks in advance.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

smokey01

#9 Post by smokey01 »

PITA=Pain in the A**

technosaurus

#10 Post by technosaurus »

gtk never considered that you wouldn't have a wm, so some dialogs just don't allow you to type in them because certain gtk widgets are "windowless" to improve responsiveness (the X server doesn't have to track events for them) ... what ends up happening is, you can't type in some entry boxes because you can't truly activate them.

for example, to get the screenshot I added:
& sleep 20 && DISPLAY=:0 mtpaint -s
to the end of the seamonkey bits, but when I went to save the image, I couldn't type in the save as dialog, but I could pick a previously saved image by clicking on it.

to answer the original question, most wms have the border set to at least 1 so users can click on them to resize. You can set the border width to 0 in jwm for the desired result, but then you will need to right click on the title bar to resize.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Ah, I see. Thanks.

(And to smokey for the lesson in English vocabulary!) :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~