Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
rodin.s

blueman and gnome-bluetooth

#741 Post by rodin.s »

I don't know if it is a bug or not but blueman (and gnome-bluetooth also) installed from PPM doesn't work. There is some error about dbus. Tested on 5.3.95 but I guess it will be the same on 5.3.96. I also tried to do it in Slacko (latest beta). At the start it didn't work either but then I installed some small package (I guess python-notify) and blueman worked.

ggg

#742 Post by ggg »

Sage,

Doubtless you recall this quote from 1st February 2012 -

SM is appalling for serious browsing.

but now you've tested many versions of SM in many Puppies?

Also, it seems you fail to understand the meaning of some four letter words.

Sage

#743 Post by Sage »

Just takes time before some smart-*ss pops up!
Of course I still test stuff I don't like. Doesn't mean I USE it, buffoon!
Edukashun failing again....

OscarTalks

#744 Post by OscarTalks »

Latest Flash Player 11 appears to be 11.2.202.238
Oscar in England

ggg

#745 Post by ggg »

Sage,

So this time, tell us - precisely what renders SM useless?

Sage

#746 Post by Sage »

Latest Flash Player 11 appears to be 11.2.202.238
Yes, indeed. I've discovered that the previous one (. . .228) works on some versions, but not . . .238
Ours not to reason why where Adobe is concerned!

mikeslr

Precise 5.3.96 working well

#747 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Barry & All,

my specs:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

Precise 5.3.96 recognized everything OOTB. Seems to be very fast on the above computer. Perhaps because of PAE, although it has only 4Gb Ram.
I was able to install all my usual pets, including wine-1.4.1 and (from Exprimo) umplayer.

Although the above computer can handle a PAE kernel, most of my computers --and in particular my Laptop, used when traveling, or while multi-tasking from the family room-- can not.My preference is to customize Puppies on the above computer, then port the system over to other computers. Although our devs do a great job of developing pets/sfses, having an OS that can make use of Ubuntu debs is a great plus. You never know what you may need while away. So hopefully, Barry K may reconsider his intention not to develop a non-PAE version. Or some dev or devs may take up his suggestion to develope a community non-PAE version.

mikesLr

ggg

#748 Post by ggg »

Sage,

I have huge respect for shinobar, 01micko, playdayz, jemimah and Lord Tennyson, but none for you because you are an arrogant clown of the first water who makes snide assides with deliberate disrespect for your betters.

mikeslr

Browser wars, Sage & disrespect

#749 Post by mikeslr »

@ ggg:
I've long concluded that internet browsers are matters of personal choice, akin to religion. I prefer Opera for its speed and versatility, but also like firefox for its many addons: they slow browsing, but are great when you need them. Consequently, I do most of my browsing in opera, and if I find a site where one of firefox's tools would be of value, I start firefox and copy the web address from Opera into it.
Chrome is great, perhaps faster than Opera. But it sends everything to google. I think it ludicrous that we zealously guard our privacy from the government we control, but freely surrender everything about ourselves to a corporation which, being on the market, might be controlled tomorrow by Russia, China, or Saudi Arabia. Additionally, unlike doctors, lawyers and priests, corporations do not have a privilege to withhold information. For the government to open a letter sent by snail-mail requires that a judge conclude that there is probable cause to believe it contains evidence of a crime. For the government to obtain your entire search and browsing history from google requires a subpoena and, if challenged, proof that it may contain some useful information. Chromium or SWIron, without Chrome's Addons, offer nothing I can't get from Opera.
I consider Seamonkey, along with Chromium and SWIron, second class browsers. I won't even bother to test it. I have opera on my sda2 partition. So after setting up wireless I mount sda2, browse into the opera folder and click its executable to determine if I really have a connection. I figure that if there's a problem with Seamonkey, those who will actually use it will discover it.
We each have our own peculiar strengths and weaknesses. The strength of this Forum is that each of us, coming from different backgrounds and having different perspectives, can speak freely.
Sage, apparently has different sensibilities than I. He's willing to take the time to test even things he won't use so that devs can be alerted to problems on computers they might not otherwise have access to. And I guess he's more optimistic than I; still believing that personal choices can be influenced by discussion, even if that discussion consists of nothing more than snidely pointing out that the Emperor is bare-ass.
On this Forum, there are no betters than Sage. There are some who have greater technical skills. There are some who may have better communicative skills.
Flame wars and personal attacks needlessly use bandwidth and do not advance our knowledge of those things which will help improve Puppy as an operating system. If what someone says is helpful, remember and use it. If it isn't helpful, ignore it. If the way it is said disturbs you, then ask yourself whether the manner of speech was intended to be disruptive. If not, ignore it. If so, don't add to the disruption by responding to it. Silence is not merely golden. It pisses off people who try to be disruptive and fail.

mikesLr

puppyluvr

#750 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
I am not a moderator, well except for the Documentation Project, but if I was, and I wish I was, I would send you to your room...
MANY of us test, and even develop for, things we dont use..
I test a Puppy a week. Anything by BK, Pemasu, Runtt21, 01micko, etc. I report any issues, and move on, unless its something I really like. I really like Precise (though I havent got rc1 yet), so it is a frugal.. 1 of 26..

I dont use Opera, but I made the Puppy Blues skin for it, its been D/L 240,000+ times..
Puppy is a community project, and Sage is a part of that community...
And he doesnt even qualify as gruff or pretentious, compared to some here.. :shock:
He tests, posts, helps out, and is a positive aspect to our group.
Please be the same by the time you get to his # of posts.. :lol:
Personalities aside, we are here about Precise..

Precisely...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

oldyeller

#751 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone

The Kennel is such a nice place to play, especially with all the new pups coming out like Precise, Slacko, Dpup and many more yet to come.

I like precise even though with the pae kernel I will not be able to use it very will on my machine. but that is ok will test even though things don't work so well.

I have tested puppies that I only use once and than that is it. Like to test new ones who others have done to help keep things going. I don't do a lot of different things with all the programs only use just a few so that is what I test for if what I use works. than let them now if it does or does not.

Your right on puppyluvr 8) 8)

Cheers

rjbrewer

#752 Post by rjbrewer »

RC1 is running very well on my MSI netbook.

It's nice to finally have a woof build with an mplayer
that can play full screen.

It would run even better on the 1.6 Gb Pentium M
processor in my Inspiron 700M.
Unfortunately it won't run with this horrible BUG known as
a PAE kernel.
It's downright ridiculus that a machine that will easily run
Win7 or Mac SnowLeopard is off limits to a Puppy version
just so a few wealthy weirdos can use insane amounts of
ram.

The whole PAE notion is a total antithesis of the original
stated purpose of Puppy's creation.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

James C

#753 Post by James C »

+1

My hardware goes up to 16 Gb of ram and I don't run a PAE kernel..

rjbrewer

#754 Post by rjbrewer »

James C wrote:+1

My hardware goes up to 16 Gb of ram and I don't run a PAE kernel..
I probably should have added a smiley to the "wealthy
weirdo" comment; I depend on the rich for survival :) .

Aside from machines that can't boot PAE; no machine that
uses Intel 945 graphics can use the extra ram .

Win 8 is planning on using PAE, and many people are "up
in arms" about it.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

bigpup

#755 Post by bigpup »

+2

PAE support is a good option to offer for computers that support it, but what are the computers Precise Puppy is designed for? Just those computers?
The Linux kernel includes full PAE mode support starting with version 2.3.23,[12] enabling access of up to 64 GB of memory on 32-bit machines. A PAE-enabled Linux kernel requires that the CPU also support PAE.
I have never seen Puppy use 1GB of memory in normal operation.
Seems to be a feature that lets you see the total ram on a computer, but Puppy will never need to use it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shinobar

libav-extra-0.8.3-up.pet

#756 Post by shinobar »

The ffmpeg on the precise puppy has no capability to encode MPEG4-AVC(h264/aac).
I prepared libav-extra-0.8.3-up.pet to enhance extra encoding audio/video.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/precise/

The pet contains the libraries from the next 11 ubuntu packages.

libavcodec-extra-53_0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb
libavdevice-extra-53_0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb
libavfilter-extra-2_0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb
libavformat-extra-53_0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb
libavutil-extra-51_0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb
libdirac-encoder0_1.0.2-4build1_i386.deb
libopenjpeg2_1.3+dfsg-4_i386.deb
libpostproc-extra-52_0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb
libswscale-extra-2_0.8.3ubuntu0.12.04.1_i386.deb
libvo-aacenc0_0.1.1-2_i386.deb
libvo-amrwbenc0_0.1.1-2_i386.deb

NOTE: Use 'libvo-aacenc' instead of 'libfaac' for the ffconvert MPEG4-AVC encoding.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mcewanw

#757 Post by mcewanw »

I would like to test Precise RC1 but unfortunately, having just downloaded it, I have discovered that the PAE kernel does not run on my machine (a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop with Pentium M processor)

I'll do my best to try it from a usb stick on my partners desktop when I can push my way onto that sometime.
github mcewanw

ozsouth

PAE & non-PAE

#758 Post by ozsouth »

Guys, this is based on Ubuntu, which now has a policy of only issuing PAE versions, due to most PCs being able to run it. I think Barry is simply following suit. There are lots of great non-PAE puppies still being developed. I use Luci-001.005 (non-PAE) from Playdayz on a laptop with 3gb ram - it's an update of 529 & it's great. Check it out.

mcewanw

Re: libav-extra-0.8.3-up.pet

#759 Post by mcewanw »

shinobar wrote: I prepared libav-extra-0.8.3-up.pet to enhance extra encoding audio/video.

NOTE: Use 'libvo-aacenc' instead of 'libfaac' for the ffconvert MPEG4-AVC encoding.
Tried it on the immediately previous non-PAE Precise and libvo-aacenc worked OK on a quick test. However this libav/ffmpeg version seems to have brought back an old well-documented problem when using libxvid where you get the error message "Invalid pixel aspect ratio 0/1". EDIT: Though I have still to try it on the latest Precise RC1, which I shall do later.

The common workaround is to not use libxvid but instead: "-vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid", however that isn't apparently quite as good as libxvid without extra parameters also being added. The alternative seems to be to use libxvid but with the -aspect parameter in a -vf construct. For example:

Code: Select all

-vf "scale=480:320,aspect=3:2
but that is a real pain because it needs to be recalculated for each resolution used. As things stand, however, I'll just use the "-vcodec mpeg4 -vtag xvid" simple alternative (which does work) even if it is slightly inferior to libxvid .
github mcewanw

mcewanw

ogv video type

#760 Post by mcewanw »

I haven't had a chance to test the new Precise yet owing to PAE kernel not working on the computer I usually use.

Just wanting to note that the previous version doesn't recognise video container ogv, which is the recommended extension for Theora video with vorbis ogg audio. So I wish to request that be fixed if not already done so since it is one of the optional containers used in pAVrecord Video/webcam recorder for which I'm producing a version to work on Precise.
github mcewanw