Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

Carolina Linux beta version 0.0.2 released

#181 Post by elroy »

Beta version 0.0.2 has been released. You can download it from the first post on this thread in the 'Links'.

peebee

Re: Carolina Linux beta version 0.0.2 released

#182 Post by peebee »

elroy wrote:Beta version 0.0.2 has been released. You can download it from the first post on this thread in the 'Links'.
Any chance of some delta files from 001??

Many thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

elroy

Re: Carolina Linux beta version 0.0.2 released

#183 Post by elroy »

peebee wrote:
elroy wrote:Beta version 0.0.2 has been released. You can download it from the first post on this thread in the 'Links'.
Any chance of some delta files from 001??

Many thanks
peebee
Geoffrey just finished uploading it to the repo. It's in the iso folder along with the md5sum.txt

einar

#184 Post by einar »

I have no time yet, but can anyone test the uploaded file from mr Stifiling on the last page on the Saluki tread ? its makes the network tab work in saluki. it is named : gvfs-smb.pet

regards Einar

elroy

#185 Post by elroy »

einar wrote:I have no time yet, but can anyone test the uploaded file from mr Stifiling on the last page on the Saluki tread ? its makes the network tab work in saluki. it is named : gvfs-smb.pet
There's already a gvfs pet in the repo, but this one does seem to get the Thunar network tab working.

I've uploaded this to the carolina repo. I removed some of the library files because they're already on carolina by default.

It seems to work. I don't have windows, but my wife does, and I can see her computer when I click the Network tab from within Thunar. If I click on her computer's icon I get a login/password dialog. Clicking the Windows network icon crashes Thunar, but that may be because I'm not logged in as a network user, or some other reason.

The following files were removed because they're already on carolina by default:

/usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4
/usr/lib/libgconf-2.s0.4.1.5
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11.5.3
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0.8.0
Last edited by elroy on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

einar

#186 Post by einar »

but that me be because I'm not logged in as a network user.
what does that mean ? how can you log in as a network user ?

elroy

#187 Post by elroy »

einar wrote:
It's called a typo on my part.

I can't loggin as a network user - we're not networked, we just happen to share the same router. I don't have samba or anything installed. But I can 'see' her computer in Thunar when I click the network tab, and if I click her computer's icon, I actually get a loggin box.
Last edited by elroy on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

einar

#188 Post by einar »

elroy wrote:
einar wrote:
Sorry, typo on my part. I've edited the post.

Im sorry Elroy im not a typo maniac, im from norway and I make many english typos. What i was meaning is " loged in as a network user" what do you mean by that. In saluki / Carolina we boot straight to desktop. Is there a choice to log in as a network user ?

elroy

#189 Post by elroy »

einar wrote:
elroy wrote:
einar wrote: what does that mean ? how can you log in as a network user ?
Sorry, typo on my part. I've edited the post.

Im sorry Elroy im not a typo maniac, im from norway and I make many english typos. What i was meaning is " loged in as a network user" what do you mean by that. In saluki / Carolina we boot straight to desktop. Is there a choice to log in as a network user ?
Ok, I think I've got it. My wife runs Windows 7. She turned on Public Sharing with no password/read only. Her computer can't 'see' my computer, but I can see her's in Thunar in the Network tab with this pet installed. When I click her computer's icon in Thunar-->Network, now that she has no password on her end, I can access her public folder. I had her put a music video in it, and I can play it on my computer. So yes, it looks like you can access a Windows computer as long as the Windows computer is set up to do so.

Last edited by elroy on Sat 20 Oct 2012, 16:37, edited 2 times in total.

einar

#190 Post by einar »

elroy wrote:
einar wrote:
elroy wrote: Sorry, typo on my part. I've edited the post.

Ok, I think I've got it. My wife runs Windows 7. She turned on Public Sharing with no password/read only. Her computer can't 'see' my computer, but I can see her's in Thunar in the Network tab with this pet installed. When I click her computer's icon in Thunar-->Network, now that she has no password on her end, I can access her public folder. I had her put a music video in it, and I can play it on my computer. So yes, it looks like you can access a Windows computer as long as the Windows computer is set up to do so.

I will try to test this and the auto mount all shares script mr Stifiling pasted on the saluki thread. Thanks for the 002Lina Elroy and for making this pet compatible for Carolina :)

mikeslr

Carolina Beta version 0.0.2 working well

#191 Post by mikeslr »

Hi elroy & all,

My Computer's Specs:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

Everything worked OOTB. Desktop resolution @ 1600x900x24. Wifi driver found. Sound OK. No problem creating SaveFile. Great work. Thanks a bunch.

mikeslr

elroy

carolina 002 pae light version

#192 Post by elroy »

For those that like to tinker, or like flexibility, I've made a version of carolina-002 with no installed packages except for the needed libraries and xfce related things. It does contain Frisbee so you can connect and access the repository. The ISO weighs in around 114 MB.

You can use this in two ways. You could use the package manager to install the packages that you desire, or you can use this as a base to build your own custom adrive with the custom-builder, using the package manager to download packages instead of installing them and then putting them in the adrive folder in the custom-builder session.

You can download it here - carolina-002-pae-light.

I will be working on a non-PAE light version as time allows.

elroy

non-PAE carolina light 002

#193 Post by elroy »

Well, time allowed. Here is the non-PAE carolina-002 light version. See the post above for details on what these light versions are.

Both the PAE & non-PAE light versions are NOC (not official carolinas :) ).

non-PAE ISO can be downloaded here - carolina-002-non-pae-light

Sage

#194 Post by Sage »

non-PAE ISO
Great news, el ! Whilst we were waiting, I successfully ran PAE002 on a 3.4G mono-core box with amazing results (001 didn't really work on anything in my stable and I don't do multiple core machines). Have just been reporting over on Slacko that the ever-problematic Netgear (prism054g) dongle actually works on C.002 using BK's SNS. This will please a whole bunch of guys who struggle with this Intelsil/Cohiba/Wistron/Prism/Netgear and other aka s. Might I suggest you strike up a contact with 01micko and possibly other developers, including BK, to explain how you achieve this feat that has defied many other distro gurus? Judging by several Fora, there's a lot of folks in possession of this unit.

elroy

Re: Carolina Beta version 0.0.2 working well

#195 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote:Hi elroy & all,

My Computer's Specs:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

Everything worked OOTB. Desktop resolution @ 1600x900x24. Wifi driver found. Sound OK. No problem creating SaveFile. Great work. Thanks a bunch.

mikeslr
Excellent! Thank you so much for the feedback.

elroy

#196 Post by elroy »

Sage wrote:
non-PAE ISO
Great news, el ! Whilst we were waiting, I successfully ran PAE002 on a 3.4G mono-core box with amazing results (001 didn't really work on anything in my stable and I don't do multiple core machines). Have just been reporting over on Slacko that the ever-problematic Netgear (prism054g) dongle actually works on C.002 using BK's SNS. This will please a whole bunch of guys who struggle with this Intelsil/Cohiba/Wistron/Prism/Netgear and other aka s. Might I suggest you strike up a contact with 01micko and possibly other developers, including BK, to explain how you achieve this feat that has defied many other distro gurus? Judging by several Fora, there's a lot of folks in possession of this unit.
Hello Sage,

I think the difference between Saluki and Carolina, as far as the dongle is concerned (and I cannot speak to other Puppy's) is the construction of the zdrive module. The Carolina zdrive is hand-created; it is based on Saluki's zdrive, but with modifications.

The main reason carolina-001 was buggy is due to the fact that we hadn't provided the necessary firmware upon the initial release. A terrible oversight on our part. 002 has the firmware on the zdrive. Also, pemasu provided a key file pertaining to the 3.2.13 kernel that was missing at the release of 001. Fortunately, carolina-002 is proving to be much more stable all-around. There were many small fires with 001, but we managed to knock a lot of them down in short order.

I can only take partial credit for the dongle success, as I only acted on Geoffrey's suggestions on the placement of the firmware in order to get it working. Of the two of us, Geoffrey was the only that had access to a dongle for testing purposes.

If you compare the saluki-023 zdrive to the carolina-002-non-pae-light zdrive (apple to apple comparison due to the same kernel being used), you'll see the differences between the two zdrives, particularly concerning the rt2870sta.

As a side note, I did a fix and re-upload of the carolina-002-non-pae-light ISO after I read your post. I built it using the custom-builder, and only later noticed that it had reverted to the stock Saluki style zdrive minus our modifications. If you do choose to compare it with Saluki, you would need to re-download the carolina-002-non-pae-light ISO. A comparison would be easier for you to see what we did differently, as explaining it would be a rather lengthy and dry read.

linux

#197 Post by linux »

Beta version 0.0.2 is working well. I will hopefully give it a try on a old Macbook Pro dual core tomorrow.

Is it possible to add Firewall Status to your next build as it is quite handy for a new puppy user to quickly see if the firewall is enabled. It seems to work fine with Carolina.

Thanks again for all your hard work

elroy

#198 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:Beta version 0.0.2 is working well. I will hopefully give it a try on a old Macbook Pro dual core tomorrow.

Is it possible to add Firewall Status to your next build as it is quite handy for a new puppy user to quickly see if the firewall is enabled. It seems to work fine with Carolina.

Thanks again for all your hard work
I'm quite curious to hear of your progress concerning the Macbook Pro install. Please keep us updated on this front.

As far as the firewall is concerned, I'm currently playing with ideas for 003 of having the default firewall enabled upon initial boot-up. Hopefully I'll have some success with that. Thank you for your input, it's much appreciated.

yerc1

#199 Post by yerc1 »

Upgraded my 001 usb intall to 002.
Upgrade process was easy.
My method:
  • -downloaded the delta file
    -created 002 iso from 001 iso + delta, after checking delta md5sum is ok
    -extracted contents of 002 iso to carolina002 folder in the usb
    -updated grub menu entries to point to new carolina folder
    -backed up 001 savefile
    -restarted and chose to run carolina with savefile (that of 001)
    -accepted prompt to upgrade from 001 to 002.
    -system went straight to desktop (as expected) and with my few customisations still in place. done
Question1 - What would I miss out with this method compared with starting over from scratch?

AFAIK the only thing that doesn't work is the ENE sdcard reader.
Carolina detects when I insert an sdcard but doesn't mount the sdcard.
I think the kernel uses keucr module which appears to have been superceded by ums_eneub6250 (?).

Question2 - Is there a chance to have Carolina support for the ENE sdcard reader?

When that support is available, Carolina will be the perfect OS for my netbook.

Thanks for Carolina :D

gcmartin

#200 Post by gcmartin »

PAE on 8 PCs circa 2001 to 2009....All work without issue!

Here to help