Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
otropogo

#2161 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:
After a recent glitch that changed the wallpaper and seamonkey settings in my main 2fs file for lupu528, all traces of the vlc media player disappeared. Today I upgraded the PC, my laptop, to lupupluslibre005-2, but no vlc.
Possible save file corruption.
With a 2fs save file there is a bigger chance for file corruption.

If booting from live CD of Lucid 528.
use boot option puppy pfix=fsck
This will do a file system check of the save file.

Thanks, will do.
For Vlc:
The above may be the problem.

May have to remove and reinstall.
In Puppy Package Manager(PPM), if program is in installed package list, uninstall and then do search for VLC.
PPM should have VLC listed in the Lucid Puppy repository under Multimedia.
Have done, but am surprised that the only version that appears is two years old, whereas googling "vlc linux deb download" (not exact quote) shows:
Package Download Selection -- vlc-nox_2.0.3-2_i386.deb
packages.debian.org › sid › vlc-nox › i386
Download Page for vlc-nox_2.0.3-2_i386.deb on Intel x86 machines ... debian.nctu.edu.tw/debian · debian.linux.org.tw/debian · linux.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw/debian ...
I'm wondering what the chances are of this package installing successfully in lupu528, or of someone making a pet of it anytime soon?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

majorfoo

#2162 Post by majorfoo »

otropogo wrote:
I'm wondering what the chances are of this package installing successfully in lupu528, or of someone making a pet of it anytime soon?
Check out the following:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76271

On first post Billto has provided link to get vlc-2.0.0-sfs
If you want a pet instead of sfs, you can convert sfs to pet using sfs
grabber in quick pet. Setup > Setup Puppy > Quickpet

Near bottom of page, Playdayz advises that this sfs should work with lucid series - xorghigh is required

Hope this helps

darkcity

#2163 Post by darkcity »

Larry if you are still reading, many thanks for Lucid ;- ) the first Puppy and Linux I could use as my main OS!

bigpup

#2164 Post by bigpup »

I got this version of VLC working in Lucid 528.
It is VLC Puppyfied.

VLC-GTK 2.5.6 - a VLC player frontend
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54753

Do have to make sure you install all the files needed. They are listed on first post of topic.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

Attempt to allow boot-up from drive plugged into USB3 jack

#2165 Post by rerwin »

tony wrote: I guess that as lupu_528.sfs is not seen it would be pointless to put a USB3 driver in it.
You are right. I was not paying attention, but trying to avoid taking on initrd.gz. Looking at it another way, this is my opportunity to master the ways of editing it.

I found the tools to expand and rebuild initrd.gz and copied the module (xhci.ko) into the directory with the other USB drivers. Then I found an example of adding a driver and discovered that one needs to simulate the effect of depmod to add the module to the modules.* tables. I will explain what I changed so that others can consider what else might be necessary.

I put the module into /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ after gzipping it. The modules in "host" are
  • ehci-hcd.ko.gz
    ohci-hcd.ko.gz
    uhci-hcd.ko.gz
    xhci.ko.gz
I updated the modules.* files with the boldfaced lines -

modules.alias:
  • alias ssb:v4243id0817rev* ohci_hcd
    alias ssb:v4243id0808rev* ohci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i10* ohci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i00* uhci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i20* ehci_hcd
    alias pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc0Csc03i30* xhci
modules.dep:
  • /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/ssb/ssb.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/xhci.ko.gz: initrd/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz:
    /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.ko.gz: /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko.gz
modules.pcimap:
  • # pci module vendor device subvendor subdevice class class_mask driver_data
    ohci-hcd 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0310 0xffffffff 0x0
    uhci-hcd 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0300 0xffffffff 0x0
    ehci-hcd 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0320 0xffffffff 0x0
    xhci 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0x000c0330 0xffffffff 0x0
Then I updated rc.sysinit, which waits for early loading of the USB drivers, so it will also wait for xhci.

Code: Select all

--- /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit	2012-01-03 21:00:48.000000000 -0500
+++ /initrd/pup_rw/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit	2012-10-13 18:54:52.000000000 -0400
@@ -50,6 +50,7 @@
 #110113 make sure /dev/mixer removed, see test in /etc/init.d/10alsa.
 #110304 remove nodes in /dev/snd -- reports that these may be wrong after a reboot.
 #111231 Make /dev/snd/* removal recursive, to include /dev/snd/by-path, new for alsa v1.0.24.
+#121013 rerwin: Add wait for USB3 driver.

#unset TZ #100319 busybox hwclock gives priority to this (rather than /etc/localtime) and 'init' has set it wrong.
 #...comment-out for now. note, TZ now set in rc.country.
@@ -344,7 +345,7 @@
 echo -n "Waiting for modules to complete loading..." >/dev/console
 WAITCNT=0
 PCIPCMCIA="`elspci -l | grep -o '060700'`"
-PCIUSB="`elspci -l | grep -o -E '0C0300|0C0310|0C0320'`"
+PCIUSB="`elspci -l | grep -o -E '0C0300|0C0310|0C0320|0C0330'`" #121013
 if [ "$PCIPCMCIA" != "" ];then #this may be slow to respond.
  echo -n " pcmcia"  >/dev/console
  while [ $WAITCNT -lt 10 ];do
@@ -359,7 +360,7 @@
  echo -n " usb"  >/dev/console
  PCIUSBNUM=`echo "$PCIUSB" | sort -u | wc -l`
  while [ $WAITCNT -lt 10 ];do
-  [ `lsmod | grep -o -E '^uhci_hcd|^ohci_hcd|^ehci_hcd' | wc -l` -ge $PCIUSBNUM ] && break
+  [ `lsmod | grep -o -E '^uhci_hcd|^ohci_hcd|^ehci_hcd|^xhci' | wc -l` -ge $PCIUSBNUM ] && break #121013
   WAITCNT=`expr $WAITCNT + 1`
   sleep 1
   echo -n " $WAITCNT" >/dev/console
My test PC does not have USB3, which might affect what I see. The only thing I am aware of is that the xhci module does not end up with the other 3 USB drivers in /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/initrd/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ after boot-up. I removed the existing copy to see if that allowed the module to be in /initrd, which did not change anything. So this needs to be tested by someone with USB3 hardware. Please keep it as an isolated test, to avoid risk. But I am running with the modified initrd.gz with no ill effects.

To run the experiment, install the pet package and copy the initrd-xhci.gz file to wherever the original initrd.gz resides. Rename the existing initrd.gz (e.g., initrd-original.gz) and then initrd-xhci.gz to initrd.gz. Plugging the MyPassport drive into the USB3 jack and rebooting should tell us whether we are getting anywhere.

Here is where I found the info:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 672#652126 (Edit initrd.gz with right-click-action)
Thank you, RSH.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... b20#384034 (Howto use the Framebuffer with Puppy 430/431)
Richard
Attachments
lupuplus-528-rc.sysinit_xhci-1.pet
Waits for the USB3 controller to start.
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 720 times

otropogo

#2166 Post by otropogo »

majorfoo wrote:
otropogo wrote:
Check out the following:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76271

On first post Billto has provided link to get vlc-2.0.0-sfs
If you want a pet instead of sfs, you can convert sfs to pet using sfs
grabber in quick pet. Setup > Setup Puppy > Quickpet

Near bottom of page, Playdayz advises that this sfs should work with lucid series - xorghigh is required

Hope this helps
Thanks majorfoo. Am downloading it now (64KB/s). Hope to try it in the next day or two if the download succeeds.

otropogo

#2167 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:I got this version of VLC working in Lucid 528.
It is VLC Puppyfied.

VLC-GTK 2.5.6 - a VLC player frontend
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54753

Do have to make sure you install all the files needed. They are listed on first post of topic.
Thanks Bigpup. Have downloaded files and instructions. Will have a go at installing in the next few days.

I managed to uninstall Seamonkey by accident while playing with petget, and had to hustle to download v. 2.10, somehow managing to use up 40+MB of my save file in the process. When I reboot though, it still shows v2.12.1. (I kept Seamonkey up and running while reinstalling it).

I've tried for about 20 minutes to find a way of upgrading manually to 2.13, but no success. I know it can be done, as I managed on the laptop, but can't remember where or how. I do remember I somehow got to a page that offered to install the 2.13.1 security update, and it consisted of downloading and installing only a half dozen or so Megabytes. Setting the preference to check and install daily doesn't seem to do anything.

My chief worry is that I'll lose all my passwords, as it's no longer possible to view all of them at once and save them with a screenshot.

I guess I'll find out when I shut down SM.

No luck. Seamonkey "upgraded" from 2.12.1 to 2.10, losing all my bookmarks and passwords in the process. The bookmarks I can easily replace, the passwords will require a lot of painful work. I tried to upgrade to 2.13.1, but that failed too.

tony

Booting from external HDD

#2168 Post by tony »

Hi rerwin,

I'm posting this from my USB3 external hard disc drive, I followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly.

When I made my original request for help I had no idea of the amount of hard work and expertise I was asking for.

Thank you very much for doing it.

Regards Tony.
Last edited by tony on Wed 17 Oct 2012, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2169 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

Yes, thank you for your support of Lucid Puppy.
With continued support by people like you.
Lucid 528 is alive and still kicking. :D 8) :!: :!: :!:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2170 Post by bigpup »

otropogo wrote: No luck. Seamonkey "upgraded" from 2.12.1 to 2.10, losing all my bookmarks and passwords in the process. The bookmarks I can easily replace, the passwords will require a lot of painful work. I tried to upgrade to 2.13.1, but that failed too.
Info may not be lost.

Try this:
In Seamonkey menu bar.
Select Tools->Switch Profile
See if maybe your old profile is listed.
If it is choose to use it.
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#2171 Post by otropogo »

bigpup wrote:
otropogo wrote: No luck. Seamonkey "upgraded" from 2.12.1 to 2.10, losing all my bookmarks and passwords in the process. The bookmarks I can easily replace, the passwords will require a lot of painful work. I tried to upgrade to 2.13.1, but that failed too.
Info may not be lost.

Try this:
In Seamonkey menu bar.
Select Tools->Switch Profile
See if maybe your old profile is listed.
If it is choose to use it.
Thanks. Too late this time. Will try to remember your suggestion next time I have this problem. Before finding your post, I decided to simplest solution was to use a recent backup, which recovered my passwords, and most of my bookmarks. Turns out I can't find my last bookmark save, so this is the best fix I can manage.

rerwin

Re: Booting from external HDD

#2172 Post by rerwin »

tony wrote:I'm posting this from my USB3 external hard disc drive, I followed your instructions and everything worked perfectly.
Incredible! I was afraid I would need a further fix, but apparently not. Thank you for motivating me to dive into initrd.gz.
bigpup wrote:Yes, thank you for your support of Lucid Puppy.
With continued support by people like you.
Lucid 528 is alive and still kicking.
That is my intent. I continue to be amazed at what playdayz has created with lupu and especially lupuplus. I plan to be here to do what I can to keep lupu relevant. So, please report any issues, in case they are ones I can address.

I am considering creating a separate thread in Puppy Projects to contain only upgrade packages for lucid pup. That would be so that new users can find all they need in one place, without searching through this thread. I am open to suggestions about that. I made a similar thread for upgrading 4.3.1 (http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 78&t=63652), although I have not updated it in over a year, but am not ruling that out, either.
Richard

sheldonisaac

Finding packages

#2173 Post by sheldonisaac »

I am considering creating a separate thread in Puppy Projects to contain only upgrade packages for lucid pup. That would be so that new users can find all they need in one place, without searching through this thread.
That would be wonderful!!

bigpup

#2174 Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

That would be a very, very, very, good idea.

You do know about this one, for wireless drivers, by tempestuous?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59000
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#2175 Post by rerwin »

bigpup,
Thanks for your interest in a one-stop-shop thread.

Yes, almost everything in tempestuous' thread posted before 2012 is part of the lupupluses. The 2012 postings relate to a Sony laptop and some USB ADSL drivers. The "easy_slow_down_manager" would probably require a GUI to make the controls usable by most users. Those are candidates for the new "simplified upgrade center".
Richard

cowboy

playdayz

#2176 Post by cowboy »

Playdayz,

Just now read your post. You've a difficult fight ahead of you, and know that each day, someone, somewhere, in the worldwide Puppy community will be thinking of you and your family.

The primary reason I use Linux is because my first experience consisted of downloading 5.2, burning it to a CD, and then marveling at the beauty and completeness of that initial desktop. It seemed so easy, but so powerful. So simple, yet so capable.

All the best, amigo, to you and your family.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

otropogo

fatal flaws in USB-flash installation module

#2177 Post by otropogo »

Today I tried to install lupupluslibre528-005-2 to USB-flash. I first tried with the installer app, and everything seemed to go fine, but the BIOS reported "no bootable system found". I checked all the BIOS settings, and they were OK to boot from "generic USB device".

I then tried using Puppy Universal Installer, leaving the MBR alone, nixing the option to wipe the disk (there was nothing on the card except the files from the LiveCD), and "yes' to pfix=copy (to RAM).

I didn't touch the BIOS, and just rebooted, and this time the loader booted, but during the loading process the first fatal flaw appeared:

As soon as it had displayed the text:

"searching disk drives for puppy files",

the loader immediately started loading the 528.sfs file.

It clearly hadn't searched the disk drives at all, since that takes several minutes on my system, and should have turned up two lupusave-x.2fs files for me to choose from.

So two problems there:

1. the 353MB sfs file has to load from the slow USB-flash drive instead of from the hard drive, and

2. lupu can't load the 2fs files saved on the hard drive

The desktop then loaded, but at a resolution that turned off one of my monitors with an 'out of range' popup. So I was only able to continue because I had a second monitor connected that allowed me to adjust the resolution, the only reconfiguration I made before rebooting.

3. on reboot, I was only offered one medium to save to, sde1, the flash card. The two connected hard drives were not offered as targets, although I was able to access them prior to this (in fact, I moved one of the 2fs files to the root directory to see if that would make it visible at bootup). And this limited my save file sizing options to 32, 64, and 124MB.

I tried saving in 2ext format with successively larger sizes, but no 2fs file was ever written to the flash card, resulting in the ultimate defect:

4. no possibility of saving one's configuration

NB2: update, problem number 4 turns out to have been caused by a loose write protect tab on the SD card. However, that this can happen without an error message is definitely something that needs fixing too.

More on problems 1 through 3 in my next post.

NB: no error message appeared anywhere in the process, and the only hint of trouble, other than the failure to search the disk drives was the failure of the puppy logo to appear with the command line boot options. The flash install always booted directly into the default desktop wallpaper at 2048x1024 resolution IIRC.

I'm hoping someone can fix this or suggest a workaround, as I currently boot from LiveCD, and would like to have an alternative in case my burner packs it in.
Last edited by otropogo on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2178 Post by rcrsn51 »

@otropogo: Look on your flash drive for the file syslinux.cfg and open it in a text editor. You should see the option "pmedia=usbflash". This tells Puppy to get all its files off the flash drive.

Delete it or change it to "pmedia=atahd".

yumatu

#2179 Post by yumatu »

This puppy is evergreen!Thanks mr.Playdayz for everything! :)

otropogo

#2180 Post by otropogo »

rcrsn51 wrote:@otropogo: Look on your flash drive for the file syslinux.cfg and open it in a text editor. You should see the option "pmedia=usbflash". This tells Puppy to get all its files off the flash drive.

Delete it or change it to "pmedia=atahd".
Thanks for your suggestion. I'm afraid there's no cigar yet though.

I edited the syslinux.cfg, and it does now take some time to search the hard drives. And in fact, I've proven that it finds and loads the 528.sfs file from the hard drive by deleting it from the flash drive.

However, it ignores the existing lupusave-X.2fs files in the same directory as the sfs file, and doesn't offer any options on where to save a new 2fs file.

On reboot, it reports that the save file on the flash drive is being loaded, but there's no evidence of it as the display configuration is not implemented.

A couple of other strange things are happening too. When booting from the flash drive, one of the two ATA drives mounts unwritable, with the ntfs-3g error, which I haven't seen in lupuplus before. But this can't explain the other hdd not being offered for a save target, nor can it explain the 2fs files on the first not being offered. The writable drive also has a 2fs file on it.

Another very strange event is that when booting from flash with the 528.sfs file on the hdd, both mounted with the red dot (ie. can't be unmounted), and after I copied a bare-bones lupusave.2fs to the flash drive and booted, it appeared on the flash drive within a pupsave directory I hadn't created, and also in a pupsave directory on the 528.sfs hdd, where it didn't exist, whereas the main 2fs file in that hdd directory disappeared.

When I rebooted from LiveCD, the hdd pupsave directory was as before, no barebones 2fs, and the disappeared 2fs back where it belonged (together with several other files that disappeared with it).

The auto-created pupsaves folder on the flash drive persists, however.

Lots of scary stuff. I was glad I had a recent backup of my 2fs file.

I did figure out the problem of failed save to the flash. It was caused by a loose write protect tab.

Update, several rounds later:

I managed to establish that :

1. with the flash installation I used, the loader will find and load the sfs file from the hard drive, but not the 2fs file, even if it's created on the flash drive and copied to the hdd

2. the only save option is to the flash drive, and after that's created, no further saves are possible, you can enlarge the save file, but cannot create an alternate one

3. I was eventually able to save my configuration in the save to flash, but it took two steps. It only worked on the second boot.

4. the ntfs read only problem went away, but didn't change anything with the other problems.

After a few boots, I got a kernel panic crash, and some 440 odd MB were mysterioulsy missing from the 500MB flash card.

Since I had no quick way of formatting the card, I tried installing all over with the universal installer. I chose the last option on the menu for mbr, and I elected to wipe all the files. Everything appeared to go without a hitch, and much, much too quickly. And a reboot ended with another kernel panic crash.

When I looked at the flash card with Pmount after booting with the CD, pmount miraculously showed the card as having 513MB, and the 300_ MB 528.sfs file was reduced to only 8MB. So the card is now out of commission until and unless I can get it fixed under Gparted or Windows.

A glorious waste of time...

Damn! I forgot Gparted doesn't work in Puppy any more...