pup-volume-monitor-0.1.15 and desktop-drive-icons-0.0.6

Core libraries and systems
mavrothal

#41 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote:Updated to version 0.1.8

Changelog:
  • Fixed filtering of loop devices and swap partitions (thanks mavrothal)
Nice!

There is one more issue with SDcards. Both the device and the partition are showing as distinct volumes. ie "mmcblk0" and "mmcblk0p[1-9]".

Also a less important issue is that if the mmcblk0 is removed and reinserted it gets the next available number up (ie mmcblk2 if an mmcblk1 exists) and not the original. Though I think this has more to do with the kernel.
Anyway some SD rules might be in order. :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

akash_rawal

#42 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote: There is one more issue with SDcards. Both the device and the partition are showing as distinct volumes. ie "mmcblk0" and "mmcblk0p[1-9]".
Can you mount both of them?
And what is the output when you type blkid in terminal?
mavrothal wrote: Also a less important issue is that if the mmcblk0 is removed and reinserted it gets the next available number up (ie mmcblk2 if an mmcblk1 exists) and not the original. Though I think this has more to do with the kernel.
Probably you are removing the card while it is mounted.

mavrothal

#43 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote:
mavrothal wrote: There is one more issue with SDcards. Both the device and the partition are showing as distinct volumes. ie "mmcblk0" and "mmcblk0p[1-9]".
Can you mount both of them?
And what is the output when you type blkid in terminal?
They are mountable but not simultaneously.

Code: Select all

# blkid
/dev/mmcblk2p1: LABEL="kingst" UUID="dbe90b0d-a311-45b1-966c-cb2afc1fb583" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/mmcblk2p2: UUID="919ad1d3-0d32-4153-8b48-5686f3564b67" TYPE="swap"
/dev/mmcblk2: LABEL="kingst" UUID="9bae5d56-87e5-4a40-a0e0-e4fa9a05f5dd" TYPE="ext2"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="XOpup" UUID="25055704-903d-4cb1-9c4a-74dbed3b6814" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/loop1: UUID="9c12f71f-a817-4d7f-bd54-80da2ef96f65" TYPE="ext3"

# fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk2
Disk /dev/mmcblk2: 4016 MB, 4016046080 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 122560 cylinders, total 7843840 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6b0d4d74

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk2p1            8192     7135231     3563520   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p2         7135232     7839743      352256   82  Linux swap / Solaris
But I think that bay be something funny with the specific card. Tried a couple other cards and they were OK.
mavrothal wrote: Also a less important issue is that if the mmcblk0 is removed and reinserted it gets the next available number up (ie mmcblk2 if an mmcblk1 exists) and not the original. Though I think this has more to do with the kernel.
Probably you are removing the card while it is mounted.
No this is not the case (and is not with "strange" card only either)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Jubei-Mitsuyoshi

#44 Post by Jubei-Mitsuyoshi »

Hi i would like help in porting this to an arch based distro i am working on, what do i need to do to get it to compile on a standard 86_64 posix platform ? ie Archlinux :)
And BTW friggin fantastic !!!!!

akash_rawal

#45 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote: They are mountable but not simultaneously.

# blkid
/dev/mmcblk2p1: LABEL="kingst" UUID="dbe90b0d-a311-45b1-966c-cb2afc1fb583" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/mmcblk2p2: UUID="919ad1d3-0d32-4153-8b48-5686f3564b67" TYPE="swap"
/dev/mmcblk2: LABEL="kingst" UUID="9bae5d56-87e5-4a40-a0e0-e4fa9a05f5dd" TYPE="ext2"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="XOpup" UUID="25055704-903d-4cb1-9c4a-74dbed3b6814" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/loop1: UUID="9c12f71f-a817-4d7f-bd54-80da2ef96f65" TYPE="ext3"

# fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk2
Disk /dev/mmcblk2: 4016 MB, 4016046080 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 122560 cylinders, total 7843840 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6b0d4d74

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk2p1            8192     7135231     3563520   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk2p2         7135232     7839743      352256   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Looks like there's a bug in blkid or you have a really strange card which has a filesystem as well as a partition table. I will come up shortly with a program to investigate further.

akash_rawal

#46 Post by akash_rawal »

Jubei-Mitsuyoshi wrote:Hi i would like help in porting this to an arch based distro i am working on, what do i need to do to get it to compile on a standard 86_64 posix platform ? ie Archlinux :)
And BTW friggin fantastic !!!!!
It should compile without problems (and if there are any please report it here :) ). The same command ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc && make && make install will mostly work well. You may need to run sudo make install instead of make install if you are not root.

I haven't yet tested it on other distros but I have tried to ensure to keep out puppy-specific things from the sources. So it should probably run.

And before applications can use it you should start the daemon pup-volume-monitor, preferably before starting X. I suspect this thing is distro-specific so I haven't included it in source package.

Jubei-Mitsuyoshi

#47 Post by Jubei-Mitsuyoshi »

cheers, we have it compiled and packaged it for our version of archlinux, ( without systemd, and gtk crud )
Its really important work, i am trying to strip the crud from gnome3 ( specifically cinnamon ) and this a big step forward, this should help replace udisks eventually.
I know its being cheeky but how do you fancy tackling upower/power management in the same manner :wink:

mavrothal

#48 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote:Looks like there's a bug in blkid or you have a really strange card which has a filesystem as well as a partition table. I will come up shortly with a program to investigate further.
Would be nice if the program could detect anomalies like that. However, I'm afraid I can not help test it anymore. I did a low level formatting and repartition of the strange card and now it behaves.

mavrothal

compile failed

#49 Post by mavrothal »

Tried to compile pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8 and desktop_drive_icons-0.0.1 in PuppyPrecise beta 7 (to eventually make a pet) and they both failed. The pvm with

make[2]: Entering directory `/root/pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8/tester'
  CC     client-client.o
  CCLD   client
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_error'
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_close'
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_open'
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_symbol'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [client] Error 1
and the drive-icons with

CCLD   desktop_drive_icons
/usr/bin/ld: desklet.o: undefined reference to symbol 'XFree'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XFree' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
I can only assume that some devel libs are missing, but if you have any idea will save me some hunting
Thx.

akash_rawal

Re: compile failed

#50 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote:Tried to compile pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8 and desktop_drive_icons-0.0.1 in PuppyPrecise beta 7 (to eventually make a pet) and they both failed. The pvm with

make[2]: Entering directory `/root/pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8/tester'
  CC     client-client.o
  CCLD   client
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_error'
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_close'
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_open'
../libpupvm/.libs/libpupvm.so: undefined reference to `g_module_symbol'
make[2]: *** [client] Error 1
gmodule library is missing or isn't linked. Library name is libgmodule-2.0.so, and you can check whether gmodule library is linked by typing pkg-config --libs gio-2.0 , it should list -lgmodule along with other linker flags.
mavrothal wrote: and the drive-icons with

CCLD   desktop_drive_icons
/usr/bin/ld: desklet.o: undefined reference to symbol 'XFree'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'XFree' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libX11.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
This time problem is with X11 library, Apparently the linker has found the library but maybe it is corrupted, as it is complaining about XFree() but not XGetAtomName() even when both belong to same library.

In my system (slacko 531) pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0 doesn't include -lX11. But still the code compiles :?

mavrothal

#51 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote: gmodule library is missing or isn't linked. Library name is libgmodule-2.0.so, and you can check whether gmodule library is linked by typing pkg-config --libs gio-2.0 , it should list -lgmodule along with other linker flags.
Indeed libgmodule was not in gio-2.0.pc. Addinig it solves this problem but the compile stumbles on the same 'XFree; error in libX11, which BTW is also not linked to gtk-+2 in precise
Tried "export LDLIBS="-lX11"" or "LDLIBS="-X11"", but still fails with the same error although pup-volume-monitor compiles fine after linking to libX11 :?

Latter compiled desktop_drive_icons in slacko ok and tried to use it in Precise :shock: with precise-compiled pup-volume-monitor.
It fails with

# exec /usr/local/bin/desktop_drive_icons &
[1] 9563
# ** Message: Config file not found

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Geoffrey

#52 Post by Geoffrey »

akash_rawal,

I've compiled and replaced the pup-volume-monitor in Saluki/Carolina with pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8, looks a lot tidier now without all the loops icons, though now if I unmount any drive, I don't get the safe to remove message, this is handy to have, though it does really only need to show this message on removal of such devices as CD and USB.

If this could be re-enabled just for removable devices it would be appreciated, keep up the good work.

thanks for all your effort.
Attachments
unmounted.jpg
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 1421 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

akash_rawal

#53 Post by akash_rawal »

Geoffrey wrote:akash_rawal,

I've compiled and replaced the pup-volume-monitor in Saluki/Carolina with pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8, looks a lot tidier now without all the loops icons, though now if I unmount any drive, I don't get the safe to remove message, this is handy to have, though it does really only need to show this message on removal of such devices as CD and USB.

If this could be re-enabled just for removable devices it would be appreciated, keep up the good work.

thanks for all your effort.
The safe to remove message in saluki is provided by tmount script written by jemimah. jemimah has configured the volume monitor to use tmount instead of usual mount and umount commands.

There is a config file at /etc/xdg/pup-volume-monitor/main.conf. To restore the original behavior simply restore the original main.conf from saluki 23. But it will also restore unmounting bug for removable drives at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 409#650409 (and I too have the same problem.)

Thunar also has notification support. You enable it by configuring with option --enable-notifications to the configure script. Maybe try that too.

mavrothal

#54 Post by mavrothal »

mavrothal wrote: Tried "export LDLIBS="-lX11"" or "LDLIBS="-X11"", but still fails with the same error
For the record, I tried with

LIBS=-lX11 GTK2_LIBS=$LIBS LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib ./configure && make
and finally desktop_drive_icons-0.0.1 compiled fine in puppy-precise.

However it still fails to run with the errors mentioned above.
Any idea where the "two different plugins" may be coming from, which I assume leads to the G_TYPE_CHECK failure?

akash_rawal

#55 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote: It fails with

# exec /usr/local/bin/desktop_drive_icons &
[1] 9563
# ** Message: Config file not found

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(desktop_drive_icons:9563): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
I managed to reproduce the situation by duplicating client side module /usr/lib/gio/modules/libpup-volume-monitor.so :

# cp /usr/lib/gio/modules/libpup-volume-monitor.so /usr/lib/gio/modules/libpup-volume-monitor-2.so 
# desktop_drive_icons 

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(desktop_drive_icons:13905): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.

^C
#
So it must be some problem of same GIO module present at two different search paths or under two different names. That's the source of "two different plugins".

mavrothal

#56 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote: So it must be some problem of same GIO module present at two different search paths or under two different names. That's the source of "two different plugins".
Maybe that's why/because gio-2.0.pc moved gmodule from "Requires" to "Requires.private: gmodule-no-export-2.0". and puppy-precise (or I...) do not know how to handle this during config/compile.

akash_rawal

#57 Post by akash_rawal »

mavrothal wrote: Maybe that's why/because gio-2.0.pc moved gmodule from "Requires" to "Requires.private: gmodule-no-export-2.0". and puppy-precise (or I...) do not know how to handle this during config/compile.
No, there are two instances of same library libpup-volume-monitor.so present at different locations or under different name. gio then loads both of them and that leads to conflict.

Till now that's the only way I am able to reproduce the problem.

mavrothal

#58 Post by mavrothal »

akash_rawal wrote: No, there are two instances of same library libpup-volume-monitor.so present at different locations or under different name. gio then loads both of them and that leads to conflict.

Till now that's the only way I am able to reproduce the problem.
I do not see such a thing

#find /usr/ -name "libpup*"
/usr/lib/libpupvm.so
/usr/lib/libpupvm.so.0
/usr/lib/libpupvm.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libpup-volume-monitor.so
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libpup-volume-monitor.so.0
/usr/lib/gio/modules/libpup-volume-monitor.so.0.0.0
# ps | grep monitor
12039 root       0:00 {pup-volume-moni} /bin/sh /usr/bin/pup-volume-monitor-starter
12053 root       0:00 pup-volume-monitor
And the volume-monitor-log is clean except the complain about the config file for plugin libcdrom

They were these warnings during compile

main.c:25:11: warning: variable `icon_view' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  CC     desklet.o
  CC     icon.o
icon.c: In function `icon_umount':
icon.c:437:2: warning: `g_mount_unmount_finish' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gmount.h:184): \
Use `g_mount_unmount_with_operation_finish' instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
icon.c:440:2: warning: `g_mount_unmount' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gmount.h:177): \
Use `g_mount_unmount_with_operation' instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
icon.c: In function `icon_eject':
icon.c:447:2: warning: `g_volume_eject_finish' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gvolume.h:212): \
Use `g_volume_eject_with_operation_finish' instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
icon.c:450:2: warning: `g_volume_eject' is deprecated (declared at /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/gvolume.h:205): \
Use `g_volume_eject_with_operation' instead [-Wdeprecated-declarations] 
but they do not look very threating

akash_rawal

#59 Post by akash_rawal »

Then I have a little idea what are those 'two different plugins'.

I have added debugging information to pup-volume-monitor and attached here. Output of desktop_drive_icons or other GIO application with this mod installed can help us find the conflict.

I recommend not to keep this mod installed for long, it can malfunction with frisbee and other programs.

mavrothal

#60 Post by mavrothal »

Couln't see much more. Still no extra instances of pup-volume-monitor, nothing in the logs and disk_drive_icons segfaults.

# desktop_drive_icons 
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientMonitor'.
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDevice'.
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupVolumeMonitor'.
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: Tried to register an extension of the type (null) to extension point gio-volume-monitor. Expected type is GVolumeMonitor.
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientVolume'.
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupMount'.
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'PupClientDrive'.
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
(desktop_drive_icons:5608): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Segmentation fault

#dmesg
desktop_drive_i[5608]: segfault at 48 ip b65e2ea4 sp bff81dd0 error 6 in libpup-volume-monitor.so.0.0.0[b65df000+9000]