Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 23:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
pUPnGO 2012
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 9 of 27 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 19:45    Post_subject:  

Do you think I can run this on a PS2 under bochs (bochs for ps2 can only use 20MB) or do I need the original pupngo.
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct 2012, 20:53    Post_subject:  

If you're talking an actual IBM Personal System 2... you'll want to know that Linux cannot natively run on anything older than a 386 CPU (mostly because that's what Linus Torvalds was using at the time of Linux's creation).

Those systems used some very strange hardware, even by modern Dell and Compaq standards (ever been inside an Optiplex? yeah, like that). IF you have a model with an IDE hard drive, you MAY be able to up the capacity and do stuff with it. If yours is one of the models that has the "ESDI" interface (I've never heard of it either, but it's a cardedge connector with the power lines built in) then you're just kinda screwed... UNLESS you can put down some sort of bootloader that will (not kidding here) let you boot off an antique SCSI disk -- and that assumes you have or can get a working SCSI disk old enough to work with it! (It doesn't help that SCSI has like a couple dozen flavors.)

If you've a 286 or earlier, as they say in New York: fagheddaboudditt. Really, the same goes if you've got one of those weird drives. It's a heck of a lot easier than trying to rig up some sort of bootloader scheme. Particularly since, with hardware that old, you'll probably have to code it yourself.

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2012, 15:35    Post_subject:  

starhawk wrote:
If you're talking an actual IBM Personal System 2...

No I am talking about a Sony Playstation 2 (modified to use homebrew).

technosaurus

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct 2012, 18:51    Post_subject:  

"size doesn't matter" in your case, you have the wrong equipment... But you could probably recompile for the 64-bit "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (launch), 299 MHz (newer models) processor. Even on a 1.6ghz CPU emulation is sluggish.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 05:20    Post_subject:  

Ok, don't slay me for being stupid, but I wanted to see if a word processor would work on this pUPnGO so here is what I tried: I downloaded Softmaker Freeoffice (which they've just made available free) and installed it into the necessary /usr directories (which works in puppy 412 Lite) and tried to run the Textmaker file but nothing happened. So then I did a cd /usr/share/freeoffice and typed "textmaker" but it told me the file was not found. I typed "ls" and I can see the textmaker file in that directory, so don't understand why it says not found. The Softmaker stuff seems to be lightweight and reliable so I'd like to get them working on pUPnGO if it's possible. I could understand it if I got errors when I type "textmaker" in the terminal, but why not found? What am I missing?
goingnuts

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 07:52    Post_subject:  

greengeek: Missing dependencies? pUPnGO has no dynamic libsso you have to supply them or compile your apps static. Try running ldd "your binary for program" inside pupngo. If your bin is static you might need additional program - try running strace "your binary for program" inside pupngo. I posted a static build of strace here. Maybe the permissions on the binary need to be changed? Hope this gives some answers!
Edited_times_total
Keef

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 08:10    Post_subject:  

greengeek

Did you you type ./textmaker, or just 'textmaker'. ?
The latter won't work because usr/share/... is not in the $PATH for executables.
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 12:39    Post_subject:  

Thank you both. Am I just being silly to try to add something like Freeoffice to pupngo? If extra libs are needed should I really just use a fatter puppy or might it actually be fairly easy to add any missing libs? I'm not needing to make the whole office suite work, if I can get Textmaker going it will be all I need.

EDIT:Ok, well, I borrowed a libx11.so.6 from Slacko, but I see there are other missing libs also. More research to do. Do you think I could just grab those libs from another 412 and plonk them in the appropriate directories? Or am I likely to need to recompile something?
pupngo lib missing.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   19.04 KB
 Viewed   626 Time(s)

pupngo lib missing.jpg

other missing libs.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   31.24 KB
 Viewed   641 Time(s)

other missing libs.jpg

goingnuts

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec 2012, 16:41    Post_subject:  

greengeek:You should be able to add almost anything to pupngo...if you supply what is needed...
How about using the xcorel text-suite? A static version is posted here and its a text editor with quite a lot of features. Attached an image of it running...
snap0000.png
 Description   
 Filesize   22.23 KB
 Viewed   630 Time(s)

snap0000.png

Keef

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:12    Post_subject:  

greengeek

It is preferable to use the libs from 412. If you don't have it, grab yourself an iso, and extract the pup_412.sfs to a directory. Take whatever you need from it. If you download using Slacko, you will need to convert it (the sfs), because of the squashfile versions.
You don't necessarily have to match the directory structure (but libs need to be in the library PATH - lib/ usr/lib usr/X11/lib etc).
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2012, 14:02    Post_subject:  

Keef wrote:
It is preferable to use the libs from 412.

Thanks Keef. I added in all the (pup412) libs that Textmaker was asking for but then came up against a "critical system error". rxvt says: "sh: getconf not found" and "sh: whereis not found". Anyone seen that sort of thing before? Maybe it is because I used libs that were not EXACTLY the name that was being looked for - the suffixes were slightly different eg when it was asking for LibX11.so.6 I found LibX11.so.6.2.0 and renamed it. (Similarly with about 10 other libs).
I'm just stumbling in the dark here, but it's a good learning experience.

goingnuts:I can take these ramblings off into another thread if you prefer - I don't want to clutter this one with my fiddlings...
goingnuts

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2012, 14:56    Post_subject:  

greengeek: The getconf and whereis are external programs. I think getconf is in /usr/bin in P412. I have a static build (uclibc) but dont know if it works in your case (attached - rename to getconf). "whereis" is from util-linux-package - I haven't a static build atm. I do not mind some activity here in this thread Smile
getconf.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  getconf.gz 
Filesize  34.93 KB 
Downloaded  295 Time(s) 
Keef

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2012, 15:41    Post_subject:  

Rather than rename the libs, symlink them instead: I think that libX11.so.6 is usually a symlink to another lib anyway (libc.so.6 is usually a symlink too.)
Be careful when copying libs with symlinks - usually ok doing a drag'n'drop with Rox, but you need the right parameter if using 'cp' on the command line - I think its -p for 'preserve'. Otherwise the symlinks end up being renamed copies of the main lib, and they don't work either!
EDIT - cp might be used for grabbing a group of related files using a wildcard (which will inc symlinks) eg 'cp libX11.so.*'
Ibidem

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2012, 01:45    Post_subject:  

Keef wrote:
Rather than rename the libs, symlink them instead: I think that libX11.so.6 is usually a symlink to another lib anyway (libc.so.6 is usually a symlink too.)
Be careful when copying libs with symlinks - usually ok doing a drag'n'drop with Rox, but you need the right parameter if using 'cp' on the command line - I think its -p for 'preserve'. Otherwise the symlinks end up being renamed copies of the main lib, and they don't work either!
EDIT - cp might be used for grabbing a group of related files using a wildcard (which will inc symlinks) eg 'cp libX11.so.*'

Careful there! That last command, if it's successful and is executed alone, will be very dangerous: it would copy libX11.so.6 to libX11.so.6.3.0 (or whatever your version is).
Since it reads the file from the link you might avoid breaking stuff if you're lucky...but if you added the -p parameter, it would screw it up.

But what I assume you mean to say is good advice:
Code:
 cp -p libX11.so* /usr/lib/
will work.
Keef

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2012, 05:24    Post_subject:  

Thanks Ibidem, I was concerned I hadn't been as clear as I should have been.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 9 of 27 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum