bug fixes Puppy 2.10

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

bug fixes Puppy 2.10

#1 Post by GuestToo »

dotpup fix for Puppy 2.10

gettext is missing in Puppy 2.10 alpha

this will install gettext so that dotpups will work

1) download fix_dotpup.zip
2) click fix_dotpup.zip to unzip it
3) click the fix_dotpup program in the fix_dotpup folder

This only needs to be installed one time.

NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL THIS IN THE LATEST Puppy 2.10 beta ... it is not needed
Attachments
fix_dotpup.zip
dotpup fix for Puppy 2.10
(7.18 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Last edited by GuestToo on Mon 04 Sep 2006, 20:16, edited 3 times in total.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

SP210a bugfixes for Puppy 2.10 alpha

#2 Post by GuestToo »

this requires the missing gettext bugfix to be installed first
(once is enough)

see above: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=65531#65531

Included in this package:

1) fixes a problem with some older dotpups made with MU's Dotpup Creator

2) installs gxmessage

3) installs the language files for the dotpup installer

4) installs keyboard shortcuts for Rox 1.2 menus
-- ctrl+Q = close Rox window
-- ctrl+A = select all
-- ctrl+X = delete all selected files
-- X = open an xterm here

5) installs geanyshell, a script which deletes named pipes if geany is not running, and makes geanyshell the default text editor

6) installs fixed xorg wizard

7) replaces geany.conf (backs up your old file first)

8) no longer symlinks gimp to mtpaint (requested by MU)
- now removes the gimp symlink

9) symlinks /usr/lib/libgs.so to fix gsview

10) added a Rox icon for dotpup files

11) enabled the numlock key for the keypad

12) fixed gdmap

NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL THIS IN THE LATEST Puppy 2.10 beta ... it is not needed
Attachments
SP210a.pup
(34.39 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Last edited by GuestToo on Mon 04 Sep 2006, 20:19, edited 11 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

G2, can you add these to the SP please?
I fixed the XorgWizard, /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
Some of the defaults in geany don't seem too good, so have attached another
~/.geany/geany.conf
Attachments
geany.conf.gz
(975 Bytes) Downloaded 393 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

and the xorgwizard...
Attachments
xorgwizard.gz
(10.22 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

MU

#5 Post by MU »

I think there also misses the symlink mtpaint -> gimp, which is used for example by the backgroundsetter when you click on "paint".
Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

ok, done

sometimes symlinks cause problems ... i don't know if Barry left out the gimp symlink on purpose

anyway, i added the symlink to SP210a.PUP ... i can easily take it out again

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

yes, I left out symlink of gimp to mtpaint, asI've been criticised for doing this,
creating symlinks of missing apps to existing ones, and I'm trying to get away
from it.
Can the dotpup be fixed instead? Use /usr/local/bin/defaultpaint.

Here's another item for the service pack:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=65690#65690

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

ok, i took out the symlink to gimp
i put in the symlink to libgs.so to fix gsview

and i put a script called geanyshell in /usr/local/bin/ that deletes the named pipe, if necessary, and i made the default text editor geanyshell

MU

#9 Post by MU »

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

i took out the gimp symlink because i thought it would make 2.10 alpha like it would be when it is officially released

i left in gxmessage and my Rox key shortcuts because i thought it was not really important whether i left them in or not

by the way, you can easily set your own Rox keyboard shortcuts, but they do not get saved until Rox shuts down ... and Rox is always running as long as the Rox desktop is running ... to save your shortcuts, shut down the pinboard first by typing rox -p= then close all your Rox windows, which will save any shortcuts you have configured ... then you can restart the pinboard

the thing is, when Puppy shuts down, or even restarts X, it does it by rather brutally killing X ... i tried to shutdown Icewm more gently, but my latest Icewm package just calls wmreboot / wmpoweroff ... this is partly the reason that Rox does not save it's keyboard shortcuts

it is also why there is a problem with geany ... if geany is running when Puppy shuts down, it leaves a named pipe that will be there when Puppy boots again, and it prevents geany from starting ... this is definitely a geany bug ... the bug would be: "geany does not gracefully handle situations when it starts with a named pipe present, but no running instances of geany" ... what happens is, when you click on a txt file, geany tries to connect to the running instance that is not there any longer, and hangs ... if you click the txt file 17 times, you will have 17 instances of geany running, all trying to connect to a non-existant process ... this is the geany bug, and Puppy makes it easy for this situation to occur

and if you try to kill geany gracefully from a script, for example, killall -SIGQUIT geany, it leaves the pipe which causes problems ... this is another geany bug

my geanyshell script is a simple workaround but fairly effective

i changed the script's name to geanyshell and put the script in /usr/local/bin ... the reason i did this was for the same reason as the gimp symlink ... i thought it would make Puppy 2.10 more like it would be like when it is released ... in other words, the closer it is to the version that will be released, the better for testing this version for bugs
Last edited by GuestToo on Tue 29 Aug 2006, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#11 Post by BarryK »

/usr/local/bin/geanyshell, yes, that's exactly what I've done.

Rox shortcuts... I've missed something here. When I went through your
service pack, I didn't notice anything to do with installing Rox keyboard
shortcuts -- how did the SP actually do that? Proably something obvious,
I just wasn't looking properly.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#12 Post by GuestToo »

the Rox keyboard menu shortcuts are in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/menus

if i made my package properly, when the dotpup executes, it should put the menus file in /tmp ... then the dotpup.sh script checks to see if there is a menus file in Choices, and if there is not, it copies the menus file from /tmp to Choices ... that way i don't overwrite someone's configuration

as i said, anyone can setup their own menu keys, but you have to shut down the pinboard before they are saved

here's the scripts i use to make my SP210a.pup, for anyone who is interested
Attachments
sp_maker.zip
my scripts for making SP210a.pup
(3.81 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Last edited by GuestToo on Wed 30 Aug 2006, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

marksouth2000

#13 Post by marksouth2000 »

GuestToo wrote:the thing is, when Puppy shuts down, or even restarts X, it does it by rather brutally killing X
The advantage is that Puppy shuts down faster than any other flavour of Linux that I've tried. On my main Puppy machine a forced poweroff involves pressing the power button for 10 seconds. Selecting poweroff from the menu is quicker than that. 8)

Dougal

#14 Post by Dougal »

GuestToo wrote:it is also why there is a problem with geany ... if geany is running when Puppy shuts down, it leaves a named pipe that will be there when Puppy boots again, and it prevents geany from starting ... this is definitely a geany bug ... the bug would be: "geany does not gracefully handle situations when it starts with a named pipe present, but no running instances of geany" ... what happens is, when you click on a txt file, geany tries to connect to the running instance that is not there any longer, and hangs ... if you click the txt file 17 times, you will have 17 instances of geany running, all trying to connect to a non-existant process ... this is the geany bug, and Puppy makes it easy for this situation to occur

and if you try to kill geany gracefully from a script, for example, killall -SIGQUIT geany, it leaves the pipe which causes problems ... this is another geany bug
There's a whole thread about this, where Enrico talkes about it.
Some of the problem might have to do with JWM: when your try starting geany and a pipe exits there's a message asking if you want to remove the pipe -- I never got that in JWM and do in XFCE.

I put "rm -f /root/.geany/geany_fifo.0" into rc.local. Maybe it can be added to .xinitrc?
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#15 Post by GuestToo »

my Icewm package displays buttons to click that allows you to restart X or to reboot, to switch window managers

if you have geany running for any reason (my package displays a readme.txt file, though it tries to use leafpad in this case, usually it just uses the default text editor) and you click the restart X button, geany will be killed and leave behind a rouge pipe file ... so geany would stop working until the pipe file is removed

with geanyshell, the pipe is removed the next time geany is run ... putting it in rc.local would mean it would only be removed the next time you reboot

Jwm does not play well with mplayer and the newest gxine either ... evilwm doesn't work well with 2.10's gixine either

you can't seem to kill geany gracefully from a script ... i don't think that is a problem with Jwm (but maybe it is), i think that is an actual geany bug ... i think typing killall -SIGQUIT geany should work exactly like clicking File, Exit ... geany should ask if you want your work saved, and shut down gracefully, and should not leave the named pipe file

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

G2, the sp210a.pup that I downloaded doesn't have the /tmp/menus file.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

ok, i put the menus file in the package (i must have forgotten a line in my make script to copy it to /tmp before tarring the package)

i also added a Rox icon for dotpup ... that and the Rox menu shortcuts keys and gxmessage are just minor enhancements (well, i like them anyway) ... they are not bug fixes, which is why i call it a servicepack rather than a bug fix ... i could take them out of SP210a.pup if you like,

violetdream

#18 Post by violetdream »

Is RutilT going to be included in 2.10? (not sure if this is the right place to post, forgive me) I think several people wanted it included..

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

:) Yes Rutit will be in Gold (Puppy 2.10)
It is there on the menu (and the alpha has the final feature set - though not everything is implemented or working yet)

PS. I forgive you :oops: :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Dougal

#20 Post by Dougal »

GuestToo wrote:putting it in rc.local would mean it would only be removed the next time you reboot
In my message above I wrote "Maybe it can be added to .xinitrc".

Besides that, my point was that this "bug" has existed since 2.0.0 (when I reported it in the "bugs" section of the forum) and it was ignored until now.

If it is a bug, it's best to report it to the Geany developers, rather than to just use a workaround and let it remain.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind