Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
davids45

Hot-stuff PAE vs Cool not-PAE Slackos

#261 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I have just installed a Frugal slacko-5.3.60-PAE and a non-PAE slacko-5.3.60 to my desktop (has 2GB of RAM, 3.2GHz dual cores, and a radeon graphics card).

According to tempiconsvg (version 14), the CPU temperature when running the PAE slacko is 58C. Plain slacko-5.3.60 is 33C which is what just about every other Pup runs at on this computer according to tempicons (all versions).

Is there a reason for this somewhat worrying difference?

David S.

01micko

#262 Post by 01micko »

davids45

I have noticed the PAE version running hotter, about 20 degrees on a dual core athlon and 10 on a dual core intel laptop, although it is a rather hot day here. I'd say it's a kernel issue. I won't be releasing with that kernel version for that reason. I'll either wait for the next 3.5x or revert PAE to 3.2x which has proven to be a solid kernel. I may even try 3.4x as it is the next LTS kernel. There are advantages with using a later kernel on newer hardware so it may well suit the PAE version.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#263 Post by 01micko »

I have reported the printing bug to bugs.opera.com. We aren't the only ones, a guy using Mint has the exact issue and responded on the Opera *Nix forum.

Fortunately, the Opera Linux guy is a Slacker 8) (rurario) . He is quite active at LQ and has an Opera blog @ http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/. He is an Opera employee, so maybe we'll get some action.

Billtoo

#264 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:davids45

I have noticed the PAE version running hotter, about 20 degrees on a dual core athlon and 10 on a dual core intel laptop, although it is a rather hot day here. I'd say it's a kernel issue. I won't be releasing with that kernel version for that reason. I'll either wait for the next 3.5x or revert PAE to 3.2x which has proven to be a solid kernel. I may even try 3.4x as it is the next LTS kernel. There are advantages with using a later kernel on newer hardware so it may well suit the PAE version.
Mine says 27 degrees all the time, in both versions of slacko and precise, no matter how much is going on so it can't be working.
Attachments
tempinfo.jpg
(10.52 KiB) Downloaded 861 times

bigpup

#265 Post by bigpup »

Slacko 5.3.6.0
Frugal

PupControl does not display all possible items.

In PupControl preferences:
any item that is blank will not show in PupControl.
Under Net Apps:
Wireless Internet and Remote Desktop have nothing to select.

All items should be filled in with a default program so they will be seen in the PupControl tabs.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#266 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:All items should be filled in with a default program so they will be seen in the PupControl tabs.
Not if there aren't the apps there. I guess I could put in rdesktop (pretty small, and mcewanw has a new gui for it, anyone up for testing that? Premote) , in which case I expect it would be auto detected, probably frisbee would be too once activated, don't know. I imagine radky has covered the bases though.

davids45

Full installer problem (rtfrn->Solved)

#267 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I have tried to get a Full install of the no-PAE slacko-5.3.60 from an existing Frugal (using the Directory as the files source for the Universal Installer) but things were missing when the "Full" started up, like no network drivers when I tried to use each wizard (Barry's Simple, Frisbee and the Network Wizard), On shutting down without problem to "reboot" , picking the Full slacko from the grub menu, I got an orange text message about a shut-down issue(?) when I chose to reboot the new Full. Did the restart but still no network/internet.

Having had similar Full Install problems with recent Precise Pups, I then found an old CD-RW, burnt the slacko iso to this CD and using this as a Live-CD, tried again to install a Full version of slacko-5.3.60 to a freshly formated ext2 partition. But the same incompleteness once the Full slacko-5.3.60 had booted.

The Live-CD connects to the Internet (using it now after a "puppy pfix=ram" reboot) so it looks to be the Universal Installer is missing something(s) or is not quite "Universally" right as far as a Full install is concerned?

While Precise & this latest Slacko have caused me "Full" problems, the latest Racy was fine - if this helps identify the problem.

David S.

PS: Problem fixed by following the work-around given in the fine :) release notes to run depmod in a terminal and reboot. Must try this rtfrn advice with other recent mis-behaving Fulls.
Last edited by davids45 on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Chromium for Slacko 5.4 Beta

#268 Post by peebee »

Download Chromium 22.0.1210.0 for Slacko 5.4 Beta from:

Chromium 22.0.1210.0 pet for Slacko 5.4 Beta

Size is 44MB
md5sum:
cdafb2590442b164f8a0b5b5a997ff50 chromium-22.0.1210.0-i686-1sl.pet

To stop warnings that Adobe Flash Player is out of date, add this switch to the command line in /usr/bin/chromium:

--allow-outdated-plugins

or install the attached fix pet

or update Flash Player

[edit] 07-10-12
44MB sfs also now available:
a6dd8d694ae052f880491c5391d2924d chromium-22.0.1210.0-i686-1sl.sfs

the pet version has also been updated so the 2 types are as similar as possible - and the fix pet has been updated to match.

and a thread started:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351
[/edit]
Attachments
chromium-flash-fix.pet
(622 Bytes) Downloaded 583 times
capture21270.png
(42.18 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
Last edited by peebee on Sun 07 Oct 2012, 08:38, edited 3 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#269 Post by 01micko »

Ok, mcewanw's premote works fine, rdesktop and deps are less tha 2M expanded, should be about 500k xz compressed, if we end up sticking with opera I'm all for them.

I have messaged radky bigpup. I'm sure he'll set me straight as to whether he can add something or I need to add something for PupControl. It will get sorted.

davids45.. a slight case of rtfm :wink: The full install issue is known and mentioned in the release notes with a work around. See top of main post. I did get a message that they fail in both wary and racy too, anyway it will grab top level attention.

peebee, good one, plenty will like chromium. Thanks for heads up on the flash work around too, even though the version I included is the older 10 version, it's the one woof grabbed automatically, worked for me so I never gave it a second thought. There is a later 10 version I can force in woof, which I'll do.

Billtoo, missed that post with the desktop entry, certainly another PPM bug there, again it will get top level attention since it is as bad if not worse in Precise.

peebee

#270 Post by peebee »

01micko wrote:peebee, good one, plenty will like chromium. Thanks for heads up on the flash work around too, even though the version I included is the older 10 version, it's the one woof grabbed automatically, worked for me so I never gave it a second thought. There is a later 10 version I can force in woof, which I'll do.
BTW - the defaultbrowser change to mozstart on uninstall problem was hard coded into the puninstall.sh of older chrome/chromium pets - I've "improved" the logic.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#271 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo

I know you have the wbar setup but I have a menu quick fix;

Code: Select all

for i in /usr/share/applications/kde4/* ; do sed -i 's| -caption "||' $i;done
Run that in a terminial; then..

fixmenus
Then they run. Will work in precise too.

Billtoo

#272 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:Billtoo

I know you have the wbar setup but I have a menu quick fix;

for i in /usr/share/applications/kde4/* ; do sed -i 's| -caption "||' $i;done
Run that in a terminial; then..

fixmenus
Then they run. Will work in precise too.
I applied the fix, switched to jwm and kde games launch from the menu now.
I'll give it a try in precise later, thanks.

majorfoo

Slacko - beta[5.4]

#273 Post by majorfoo »

Full install - non PAE version to ext4 partition

Removed Opera
Installed Seamonkey 2.13-beta6
Added following
Wbar
Abiword 2.9.1
Audacious
Xscreensaver
Roxterm
Pupclockset
Shermans Aquarium
Puppybrowser
Flashplayer
Bibletime
Tcl-8.56
Tk-8.56
Libreoffice 3.60
missing libraries libgnutls.so.26 and libtasn1.so.3

Boots very fast and all additions working - no problems to report

majorfoo

Slacko - beta [5.4]

#274 Post by majorfoo »

In your release notes you mentioned a script to download the latest version of seamonkey or firefox. Where can I find copy of this script?

thanks

rcrsn51

#275 Post by rcrsn51 »

Billtoo wrote:Mine says 27 degrees all the time, in both versions of slacko and precise, no matter how much is going on so it can't be working.
Have you installed the lm_sensors package?

What processor do you have? Some CPUs don't provide any useful temperature info to Puppy.

James C

#276 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: peebee, good one, plenty will like chromium. Thanks for heads up on the flash work around too, even though the version I included is the older 10 version, it's the one woof grabbed automatically, worked for me so I never gave it a second thought. There is a later 10 version I can force in woof, which I'll do.
I just installed Chrome Version 22.0.1229.79.

Another way to get rid of the outdated Flash message is to simply disable it (the older Flash) in "about:plugins" which allows the use of the native Chrome Flash.
Attachments
Chrome 22.png
(18.25 KiB) Downloaded 985 times

Billtoo

#277 Post by Billtoo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Billtoo wrote:Mine says 27 degrees all the time, in both versions of slacko and precise, no matter how much is going on so it can't be working.
Have you installed the lm_sensors package?

What processor do you have? Some CPUs don't provide any useful temperature info to Puppy.
It's a 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
I just installed your CPUtemp-1.5.pet and it gives more info now but it's still stuck on 27 degrees it seems

EDIT: I ran CPUtemp in the terminal and it is working now.

thanks
Attachments
capture750.jpg
(33.44 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
cputemp.jpg
(16.06 KiB) Downloaded 923 times

rcrsn51

#278 Post by rcrsn51 »

Billtoo wrote:EDIT: I ran CPUtemp in the terminal and it is working now.
You probably didn't have lm_sensors installed. On the next reboot, you may have both temperature applets running in the tray.

Billtoo

#279 Post by Billtoo »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Billtoo wrote:EDIT: I ran CPUtemp in the terminal and it is working now.
You probably didn't have lm_sensors installed. On the next reboot, you may have both temperature applets running in the tray.
Yes, I do, thanks again.
Attachments
flames.jpg
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 895 times

bigpup

#280 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote: I have messaged radky bigpup. I'm sure he'll set me straight as to whether he can add something or I need to add something for PupControl. It will get sorted.
This was the same problem using PupControl in Lucid Puppy. I think playdayz had every item, in preferences, have something selected by default. (if there was something to select) Not sure if anything was done concerning preference items that there was no program for. It at least made most of the stuff show in the main tabs of PupControl.
This is only a problem when you first use PupControl and have not set preferences.
Thanks for quick response to issue.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)