Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

pup-volume-monitor

#21 Post by Marv »

No it's not a typo, pup-volume-monitor-0.1.7: Lightweight drive management.

I reported there was a problem with the pup-volume-monitor to akash_rawal, he kindly rewrote it,
this as fixed problems with unmounting and applications crashing while mounting drives.
Any chance of getting this in the Saluki repository if it's applicable? I'd be glad to test it.

I can't run Carolina as it's PAE and the flag checking in syslinux or Grub4dos won't let me even though it will run on my Pentium M boxes.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

#22 Post by elroy »

slenkar

#23 Post by slenkar »

oops heres the link to the patch

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ickle/linu ... ff/?h=845g

saluki doesnt seem to have the patch command

can the patch command be added to carolina?

Marv

Pup-volume-monitor

#24 Post by Marv »

Here you go, Marv - pup-volume-monitor-0.1.7-i486.tar.gz.
Thanks elroy. Installed and running in Saluki 023. So far so good. It seems to have cleaned up the mount/unmount behavior (I usually do it entirely within Thunar now). I'll continue to use it.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

patch

#25 Post by elroy »

slenkar wrote:could you apply this patch for 845 users? or does it interfere with other graphics cards
I wouldn't think it'd work. Carolina uses the PAE 3.2.13 Linux kernel. You would have to apply the patch to the correct kernel sources and recompile a custom kernel in order to accommodate this. You could do that, and then change the kernel out using the custom-builder in either Saluki or Carolina. At present, Carolina won't be officially supporting other kernels.

Carolina's target audience is newer users, and newer computers. While we'd like to accommodate everyone, and every situation, that just isn't possible.
Last edited by elroy on Fri 05 Oct 2012, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#26 Post by tlchost »

No sound using either the multiple card wizard or alsa
Alsa says the audio card is Intel panther point

Any ideas?

thanks

Thom

elroy

Re: Pup-volume-monitor

#27 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Thanks elroy. Installed and running in Saluki 023. So far so good. It seems to have cleaned up the mount/unmount behavior.
You're welcome, Marv. Sorry to hear that the PAE kernel won't run on your setup. I'll discuss with Geoffrey about possibly offering a Carolina version with the 3.2.8 kernel as an alternative.

elroy

#28 Post by elroy »

tlchost wrote:No sound using either the multiple card wizard or alsa
Did you run the alsa mixer from the terminal to ensure that none of the devices were muted? That's the only thing I can think of, outside of maybe needing to load a driver.

puppyluvr

#29 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Wow, he`s a big boy!!
D/Ling now and will report back...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

elroy

#30 Post by elroy »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Wow, he`s a big boy!!
D/Ling now and will report back...
Yes, she's a bit fat...but it's necessary for the application support. Thanks for trying Carolina out. Much appreciated.

starhawk

#31 Post by starhawk »

@elroy:

DLing now.

Never heard of the Carolina dog -- skimmed the Wiki article you linked, rather educational indeed!

I'll keep you posted on how it works out.

elroy

#32 Post by elroy »

starhawk wrote:Never heard of the Carolina dog.
Nor had I. Hence when Geoffrey suggested it as a name, and I read up on it, it was more than obvious that Carolina would be a great name. Plus the fact that "Carolina Linux" rolls off of the tongue quite easily...

puppyluvr

#33 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
An adrive and a zdrive.. Interesting..

First impression is good. Booted up fairly quickly, correctly configured my vid card (gma45), my sound card, and barked.. Nailed the 1366x768 (instead of 1360 which some get wrong), and GL worked OOTB..

As with most 3 series kernels, I had wireless problems..
This is not a Carolina issue, but a kernel issue..
If my wireless card (RT5390) isnt physically turned on during boot, before the kernel is loaded, it WILL NOT turn on.
So, I rebooted accordingly, and it remained on..
It was seen as wlan0 under the pci2800 driver, as with Precise and Lupu Pups.
However, it failed as such:
Strangely, every post concerning this error and my card, pertain to Gentoo!
It is a firmware issue, and could be easily corrected I believe, I`ll get back on that..
Forgot to try ndiswrapper :oops: which works well for this card.
When I shut down, and attempted to make a savefile, I got:
"dev/ not found"
Could be a fluke, I`ll retry that again as well and get back, hopefully from Carolina itself....
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

yr1945

#34 Post by yr1945 »

cannot use "Carolina Custom Builder" because many required files are not in Carolina repository...

i might use Carolina without Adrive and just add a few required apps via .pets and/or Puppy Package Manager"...

also... might keep the Adrive if i could delete certain apps with "Remove Builtin Packages",.. eg, LibreOffice and Thunderbird

anyway... excellent os... hope you will continue to maintain it...

ps: currently using Saluki-023 with "custom" Adrive...
Last edited by yr1945 on Sat 06 Oct 2012, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.

Roger Hunter

Carolina puppy

#35 Post by Roger Hunter »

Beautiful puppy, best I've seen lately.

I particularly like the single click option.

Problems so far, no floppy and grub4dos only.

I have several puppies installed on my P4 but Win XP as my main OS. I want it to boot to XP without menu so puppies are booted by floppy.

I tried adding Caroline to the grub menu but it won't work.

Roger

starhawk

#36 Post by starhawk »

Very nice splash screen! Kinda retro with the monochrome amber sorta look there. I have to say I like it :D

Alas, this Thinkpad is a very nice Pentium M system and PAE doesn't like Pentium M CPUs. So I will try it (later) on another box -- the very nice Compaq (now there's two words that don't really go together!) desktop I have with 2gb RAM and an AM2 Athlon64 CPU.

...in the meantime, you get a vote from me for a non-PAE version to be made available. I don't need PAE anyways, there's exactly one system in my entire house with more than 3gb RAM and it's not likely to run Puppy any time soon as it's my mother's.

starhawk

#37 Post by starhawk »

Posting from within Carolina.

Not bad. A couple points...

(1) I suspect your compilation of the ath5k driver is a little bit funky. I haven't had connectivity this bad in quite some time ;) either that, or it goes to sleep almost instantly. At least it keeps trying to reconnect! (Persistence is a virtue here.) FWIW, it might be a failing card. I pulled this one from spares.

(2) my volume is turned up all the way and it's barely audible. Could be the cheap dang eMachines speakers I have plugged in, which are not really amplified -- or at least do not require a separate power lead -- but I'm not sure. FATSlacko has the same problem.

(3) pmount takes an awful long time to pull up and does not recognize the media card reader (FATSlacko is much better here -- it is quite snappy and does recognize the reader).

(4) the menu is completely different from nearly every other Puppy I've used. Menu changes = much user frustration.

That said, other than those four things, and the ginormous size, it's pretty good stuff. I like it! On the graphics end of things, I love the wallpaper selection. It's not extensive, but it's pretty good for Puppy. The transparent tray is a cool thing as well. That's a new one for me :)

Overall: 8.5/10 for reasons above. -2 points for the four issues, -0.5 point for the size, +1 point for the wallpaper and the cool transparent tray.

EDIT: one other thing... a choice of browsers would have been nice. Perhaps the ever-present Browser-Installer? Firefox is really slow compared to Chrome (my current favorite).
Last edited by starhawk on Sat 06 Oct 2012, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#38 Post by tlchost »

elroy wrote:
tlchost wrote:No sound using either the multiple card wizard or alsa
Did you run the alsa mixer from the terminal to ensure that none of the devices were muted? That's the only thing I can think of, outside of maybe needing to load a driver.
When I type alsamixer from the terminal, it tells me I need some kind of directive.

Driver? Where to find it?

elroy

custom-builder patch

#39 Post by elroy »

Here's a patch for the custom-builder - patch-001.tar.gz
There's a README.txt file inside that explains what to do.
Afterwards, you'll need to open the package manager and refresh the repo lists.

elroy

#40 Post by elroy »

tlchost wrote:
elroy wrote:
tlchost wrote:Driver? Where to find it?
You may need to do some research and find out which kernel module is needed for that particular intel device, and load it using Control Panel-->System-->Configure Kernel Modules. I believe it's i915, but you may want to research that further to be sure.