Slacko 5.4 - FINAL 2 Dec 2012

News, happenings
01micko

#241 Post by 01micko »

ETP wrote:Pleased and surprised to see tempiconsvg pick up my new video card temperature but the icon shows as blue with very small text.
Is there a quick fix for this? ........... Mind you MS would describe it as a "feature" rather than a bug. :lol:
ETP, thanks for reports.

I really don't know why the font is small for you in tempicon. On all my machines it is ok. The only thing I can think of is the font wizard you have installed. It uses 'helvetica' but I'll change it to dejavu-sans, see if that fixes it, I'll add an attachment to this post shortly.

EDIT: ok, recompiled, same font size for me. See how you go.
Attachments
tempiconsvg-0.14-i486.pet
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ICPUG

#242 Post by ICPUG »

Just to say thanks to those that responded to my notes regarding finding puppy sfs on a frugal install.

I don't come here every day at the moment so my delayed reply is not a slight to those helpful responders!

I was particularly intrigued by:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 960#655960

Case 1 with PMEDIA, PDEV1 and psubdir was what I tried and didn't work without removing PMEDIA.

Case 3 that worked when I felt it shouldn't repeated my experience. I like rcrsn51's possible explanation of why it works. If I ever decipher Barry's routines I will look out for this. It is certainly different logic to Puppy 4.

I was surprised the USB flash problem was happening on a hard drive too. I must try the idea in:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 965#655965
to see if that solves it.

I HAVE a working Puppy so it is not a critical problem but I WOULD like to understand the new logic to be able to help others with problems! Of course, if I had multiple puppies leaving PMEDIA out might be a problem if that causes psubdir to be ignored.

rcrsn51

#243 Post by rcrsn51 »

ICPUG wrote: It is certainly different logic to Puppy 4.
IIRC, the complaint with Puppy 4 was that even if you gave it a full set of arguments, it would still do a bunch of searching. When done, it would then give you the location that you asked for.

Maybe that's why you never saw the problem with this particular machine.

01micko

#244 Post by 01micko »

Be aware too that since 533 I have been compiling USB into the kernel image in the hope that the devices settle faster. So far I can't tell the difference!

ICPUG

#245 Post by ICPUG »

rcrsn51 wrote:
ICPUG wrote: It is certainly different logic to Puppy 4.
IIRC, the complaint with Puppy 4 was that even if you gave it a full set of arguments, it would still do a bunch of searching. When done, it would then give you the location that you asked for.

Maybe that's why you never saw the problem with this particular machine.
Yes - Puppy 4 used to search then filter the results, rather than narrow the search according to the criteria. Subsequently, it searched more than was necessary. It also did not search lower than 1 folder deep which this latest routine is supposed to do.

I have not put a Puppy 4 on the new machine. Perhaps I should and see if PMEDIA will work. Nevertheless, I need Fatslacko or similar to make full use of the new machines capabilities.

rcrsn51

#246 Post by rcrsn51 »

Other distros, like TinyCore or Fatdog, have a "wait" boot argument to handle this problem with USB devices.

If the same situation is occurring with your hard drive, it would be useful to know if my "sleep 5" suggestion makes any difference.

Jim1911

#247 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh frugal installation is running great. Only extras so far are get nvidia 0.7 which worked fine to install the latest nvidia driver, hplip_print-3.12.4.pet and hplip_scan-3.12.4.pet to install my HP Photosmart printer which also works fine. It also prints pdf files fine from Opera.

It really looks solid, :D

Equipment: Custom built with BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

mikeslr

Problems Menu & VLC codec

#248 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & all,

Nice work again 01micko.Just a couple of hopefully minor glitches.
As I use/test various Puppies, when possible I use SFSes or apps run form mnt/home. To eliminate possible duplication, I'll try to use the latest SFS in every Puppy regardless of which Puppy it was built for. This usually works. So wasn't surprised that Gimp built for Precise did. On the other hand, LibreOffice 3.6 --I think from Lupu-- has a problem.
All of its applications can be run if started from a terminal, from fbpanel --which I install rather than wbar-- and if desktop file in /opt.../libreOffice is clicked, or even by clicking the symlink to the latter at /usr/share/applications. Although Menu entries are created, clicking them does not start the applications except the wizard for selecting the various applications, from which other applications can be started.
Thinking the problem might have something to do with the Menu listing being the result of a symlink, I deleted the symlinks, copied the desktop files from /opt...libreOffice to /usr/share/applications and rebooted. Same results: applications could be run, but not from the Menu.

Edit: I assumed the above might just be an oddity, until I installed VLC together with Qt-Everywhere. VLC runs, but does not create a menu entry. Examined /usr/share/applications/VLC.desktop and changed category from Utility (where it hadn't appeared) to "Audio;Video;AudioVideo;Multimedia" and rebooted. Menu listing still doesn't appear anywhere. I started VLC by clicking the desktop file. However, trying to open an AVI and a WMV file generated sound but no video, and produced reports that there was no suitable decoder module.

For what it's worth, after the above VLC problem, I uninstalled VLC & Qt-everywhere, and loaded vlc-1,2,sfs --not sure where I got it, and whether I may have dropped a part of its name-- which is the last VLC fully functional on my computers. A menu listing was created and media files produced both sound and video.

mikesLr

ETP

Tempiconsvg-0.13

#249 Post by ETP »

01micko wrote:
I really don't know why the font is small for you in tempicon. On all my machines it is ok. The only thing I can think of is the font wizard you have installed. It uses 'helvetica' but I'll change it to dejavu-sans, see if that fixes it, I'll add an attachment to this post shortly.
I uninstalled 0.13, rebooted and then installed 0.14. This cured the text size problem but not the colour. Rather than mess about further I elected to do two clean installs just installing 0.13 into the first and 0.14 into the second. No other changes or additions were made. In both cases the text size was normal but the icon was blue. At least that eliminates the other pets. The issue may be with the build or some interaction between my hardware and the nouveau driver. (When testing I normally install the proper Nvidia driver before other pets)

Perhaps someone could test tempiconsvg with this Pup on their hardware in order to eliminate a possibly unique problem with mine.
Attachments
screenshot.20.jpg
(157.24 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Billtoo

Re: Tempiconsvg-0.13

#250 Post by Billtoo »

ETP wrote:
Perhaps someone could test tempiconsvg with this Pup on their hardware in order to eliminate a possibly unique problem with mine.
Mine is blue, I have intel graphics.
Attachments
tempicon.jpg
(3.65 KiB) Downloaded 1002 times

Jasper

#251 Post by Jasper »

Hi Billtoo.

If you click on your Tray Date Icon do you get a pop-up calendar for the month and if not may I ask if that was your decision?

My regards

01micko

#252 Post by 01micko »

@ ETP and Billtoo

The blue is normal, read the tempicon changelog :wink:

@mikeslr. I guess different sfs, compiled for different pups, will behave differently. There is a gimp-2.8.2 sfs posted in this thread early on. (or see my repo at smokey01.com). I'll do up a new libre sfs soon, which should be compatible with all pups. As for VLC and qt, I have recompiled them for this series but haven't packaged the sfs as yet.

@Jasper, I believe Billtoo is running Tint2 for a panel :wink:

cheers

Billtoo

#253 Post by Billtoo »

Jasper wrote:Hi Billtoo.

If you click on your Tray Date Icon do you get a pop-up calendar for the month and if not may I ask if that was your decision?

My regards
I get a pop-up calendar for the month now that I've added osmo :)
Attachments
calendar.jpg
(14.78 KiB) Downloaded 916 times

majorfoo

Slacko - beta [5.4]

#254 Post by majorfoo »

booted live cd PAE version
sound ok
auto connected to internet

Did full install to ext4 partition on sda2
booted to desktop - sound ok
could not connect to internet - my intel ethernet card not recognized
dropped to command line, ran depmod as you suggested, then rebooted. Auto connected to internet - ok

Removed Opera
Added Seamonkey-2.13-beta5
Added
Wbar
Evince
Audacious
Xscreensaver
Roxterm
Pupclockset
Shermans Aquarium
PuppyBrowser
Flash player
Bibletime

Missing libraries libgnutls.s0.26 and libtasn1.so.3 - located these and so far everything working. No problems to report

01micko

Re: Slacko - beta [5.4]

#255 Post by 01micko »

majorfoo wrote:Did full install to ext4 partition on sda2
booted to desktop - sound ok
could not connect to internet - my intel ethernet card not recognized
dropped to command line, ran depmod as you suggested, then rebooted. Auto connected to internet - ok
<br\>
Missing libraries libgnutls.s0.26 and libtasn1.so.3 - located these and so far everything working. No problems to report
Thanks for report. I have also received a report that full installs fail similarly in Racy/Wary, so this will be fixed upstream soon.

We are also experiencing dependency troubles with PPM, so I'm not surprised by the missing deps. I'm looking into sovling this.

majorfoo

#256 Post by majorfoo »

01micko wrote:
Thanks for report. I have also received a report that full installs fail similarly in Racy/Wary, so this will be fixed upstream soon.

We are also experiencing dependency troubles with PPM, so I'm not surprised by the missing deps. I'm looking into sovling this.
This version working better than previous on full installs.
I know you will keep chipping away until you resolve all the problems and we will have another great distro.

Thanks for all your dedication and hard work

01micko

#257 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo wrote:I applied your new pet and now the games show up in the menu but they still don't run from it, I'm using gexec to start my favorite kdegames.
I have found the problem here. The call from the "Exec=" line in the .desktop files is truncated and left with 1 set of double quotes, recipe for disaster, and probably PPM doing the damage. Some games (without the call param) do work. Still, I need to fix it, probably can in jwm_menu_create, but that will fail in other WMs, so really needs to be addressed at the woof level. Did this happen in Precise with kde games?

Billtoo

#258 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I applied your new pet and now the games show up in the menu but they still don't run from it, I'm using gexec to start my favorite kdegames.
I have found the problem here. The call from the "Exec=" line in the .desktop files is truncated and left with 1 set of double quotes, recipe for disaster, and probably PPM doing the damage. Some games (without the call param) do work. Still, I need to fix it, probably can in jwm_menu_create, but that will fail in other WMs, so really needs to be addressed at the woof level. Did this happen in Precise with kde games?
kdegames was even harder to get working in precise, I have to start them with gexec as well.
Also, I added qt482 pets that I had made for precise.

I'm liking openbox in slacko, in the pae version nexuiz plays okay with jwm but sauerbraten, and openarena don't although they do work in the non-pae 5360.
All the games work with openbox,links shows the correct icon too when it's running but it doesn't in jwm.
Anyways, I like 5360 pae, it's solid.
Thanks
I compiled qt482 in slacko as well but I needed to do that because I compiled vlc,as well as ffmpeg 1.0 (using your configure line) and x264 snapshot.
Bunch of other stuff too :)

01micko

#259 Post by 01micko »

Billtoo

Can you find the exec line in one of the games in Precise and post it please for comparison?

Bomber is a good example.

I have a different idea to get around the /usr/share/applications/kde4 directory that I will try out later.

Billtoo

#260 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:Billtoo

Can you find the exec line in one of the games in Precise and post it please for comparison?

Bomber is a good example.

I have a different idea to get around the /usr/share/applications/kde4 directory that I will try out later.
I hope this is what you want:

Exec=bomber -caption "
that is the exec line in the precise bomber.desktop
---------------------------------------------------
Exec=bomber -caption "
that is the exec line in the slacko bomber.desktop
---------------------------------------------------
to start bomber with gexec I just enter bomber and the games starts.

I've added my favorite kde games to wbar and start them that way now.
Attachments
wbarscrn.jpg
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 940 times