Brainwave puppy repo v.2.5 will be closing

News, happenings
Saturn

Brainwave puppy repo v.2.5 will be closing

#1 Post by Saturn »

Due to a price hike from my vps it has caused the current plan of action to be nonviable so, in effect, my repository will be closing on the 16th of this month, which is the end of the contract that I had from last year.

It went from six dollars monthly to about Twenty
and that is not sustainable!!!

Instead, I will be doing something more plausible

This will be an attempt to aggregate all the various informational content of the puppy linux world and organize it into one place

It will be hosted here:
http://puppy-linux-hub.invisionconnect.com/

Hopefully, it will have an Facebook login feature

That is all!

Wish me luck guys!

Cheers, and woof!

Saturn

Almost Done!!

#2 Post by Saturn »

Forum configuration nearly complete... you can now create topics and reply to them if you registered

I added some useful links to help get the community started

Have fun!!
W00F!

russoodle

Well done, looks good!

#3 Post by russoodle »

Congrats on this venture, Saturn!

I did try to register but after i clicked the activation link from my email, your page displayed the following error message:
An extension required to process this request is missing. Please notify the administrator.
Be good if it told you what the missing extension was, wouldn't it? :roll:

Anyway, i'll give you some time to sort out the teething troubles and then i'll try again :)

Cheers!
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

darkcity

#4 Post by darkcity »

nice work 8)

added to the wiki forum list
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ForumsPuppy

Where was the brainwave repository, google brought up this-
http://173.193.165.249/

Saturn

#5 Post by Saturn »

russoodle, that's the hotmail sign in thingie, gotta disable it

darkcity the brainwave repository was hosted on hostmonster/bluehost, but now the majority of it sits on russoodle's site, un-updated and un-maintained

only mike took an interest at uploading stuff, so naturally his folder was the biggest, like some 30GB

he also advertised and pimped it like crazy, eventually was going throughly nearly 200GB a month before I could not afford the renewal fee/325$ yearly
(no monthly option)

Then the only decent monthly option I could find sky rocketed to 21 dollars/monthly!

did some research and it seems like an industry trend all VPS companies that offer support are about that much, and the unmanaged ones like vpslime.com are about ten bucks cheaper, 9.95$ monthly or so

darkcity

#6 Post by darkcity »

I don't know much about the cost of Bandwidth, but that sounds like quite a lot - maybe people could have donated something instead of you footing the bill.

Saturn

#7 Post by Saturn »

russoodle, seems like your registered just fine, can't see any errors and your shown as "member" not validating or others
so it's solely the hotmail login thing you must have clicked

I think it requires access to msft's external database and I know nothing of that!

russoodle

#8 Post by russoodle »

OK Saturn, thanks for the info....i didn't use M$ login 'thingy' though, so i guess it just sticks its beak in regardless..

The VPS price you speak of seems fairly cheap, as VPS costs go - i pay more than twice that monthly for a managed one but included in the price, along with reasonable specs, is a 3TB monthly bandwidth allowance, which is pretty good!

I wouldn't describe mine as being comfortably sustainable, i'm on a tight budget as much as the next person so often it pinches....however, i quit smoking around the time i started my site and feel that Puppy is a more worthy investment of those dollars :wink:

I do understand that individual circumstances differ though, so we each do what we can with what we have..

Hi darkcity.....I think Caneri used to have a 'donate' button on his site, puppylinux.ca/puppylinux.asia - which cost him a bomb with bandwidth usage averaging around 70GB per day! - but not many donations were made, as far as i'm aware.....i'm sure most users appreciate the service but the costs of running a VPS, (as opposed to much-cheaper shared hosting), is not the priority in a person's mind when they're downloading files.

It would, of course, be great to have even occasional financial assistance but the end responsibility is one's own, since it is one's own choice to support the Puppy community in this way (the 'donate' button on my site is for BK, by the way...).

On the other hand, we have members like yourself, who are slaving away to update the wiki, obviously a labour of love for you, although time-consuming.....then the forum members who are always around to help someone with their Puppy issues, often providing easy-to-follow, but again, time-consuming meticulous graphical instructions and of course the devs, code-hackers and others who love to tinker and make things work for us. Running out of hands, so....we also have this forum, provided by John, as well as Raffy's, Puppyite's and yours, Saturn - they all cost something too, in time and money....not to forget the promoters of Puppy, who take the time to do youtube videos, mp3's or other media.

I'm thinking that, for the most part, the Puppy community is quite a supportive one....it's back to: we each do what we can with what we have.. the bottom line is, unless people are willing and able to trust nominated member/s with $$$ to put together a central, continually-maintained repo as discussed here, or similar, then the status quo will remain as is..

WOOF!
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

darkcity

#9 Post by darkcity »

russoodle wrote:... unless people are willing and able to trust nominated member/s with $$$ to put together a central, continually-maintained repo as discussed here, or similar, then the status quo will remain as is..

WOOF!
Yes, I agree and would like to see something like that happen. Otherwise, I think that long term Puppy become unsustainable. Anyway, we have what money can't buy - a passion for the Puppy, so things aren't so bad. :lol:

sickgut

#10 Post by sickgut »

Saturn wrote:russoodle, that's the hotmail sign in thingie, gotta disable it

darkcity the brainwave repository was hosted on hostmonster/bluehost, but now the majority of it sits on russoodle's site, un-updated and un-maintained

only mike took an interest at uploading stuff, so naturally his folder was the biggest, like some 30GB

he also advertised and pimped it like crazy, eventually was going throughly nearly 200GB a month before I could not afford the renewal fee/325$ yearly
(no monthly option)

Then the only decent monthly option I could find sky rocketed to 21 dollars/monthly!

did some research and it seems like an industry trend all VPS companies that offer support are about that much, and the unmanaged ones like vpslime.com are about ten bucks cheaper, 9.95$ monthly or so
Try quickpacket.net you get 500gb of bandwidth a month for only $15 a year.... yes... a year not a month. ive been using them for months and there hasnt been any outages.

Saturn

Question for sickgut

#11 Post by Saturn »

How much storage?
And I am guessing that no support is included? or crappy support?

tlchost

Re: Question for sickgut

#12 Post by tlchost »

Saturn wrote:How much storage?
Their web page shows how much storage for each plan....the cheap plans show no control panel(Can be added at extras cost).

Seems to me one needs to hear the details from the horse's mouth, and preferably something in writing.

With all the Ladies of the Night in the hosting business, you must be very careful that you do not pick one that you can't take home to meet the parents.

sickgut

Re: Question for sickgut

#13 Post by sickgut »

tlchost wrote:
Saturn wrote:How much storage?
Their web page shows how much storage for each plan....the cheap plans show no control panel(Can be added at extras cost).

Seems to me one needs to hear the details from the horse's mouth, and preferably something in writing.

With all the Ladies of the Night in the hosting business, you must be very careful that you do not pick one that you can't take home to meet the parents.
i have 20Gb storage with my quickpacket vps. you do get a SolusVM control panel that lets you reboot, reformat/ image, change any setting you like as well as shows how much bandwidth you have used etc etc.

its an unmanaged vps, all you do is install debian 32 bit from the SolusVM panel and then wait a few mins, use putty or linux terminal to ssh into it and run apt-get update, then apt-get install lighttpd pureftp-server
this will setup your webserver and ftp login for people to upload.

lighttpd by default serves from /var/www/
whatever you put in that dir will be instantly viewable.

to setup ftp logins for people you just type:
adduser then it will ask for user and pass. Then you tell your uploaders their user and pass and their files they upload will by default reside in: /home/username

however you can edit lighttpd.conf to serve out /home/
and aslong as you have an index.html file there you can have your usual website there, then you setup a url for each of the users home dirs, so whatever user uploads stuff, say his name is tom, then www.yourwebsite.com/tom
will take you to toms uploaded files.

this is how i would do it, it basicly needs no more configuration or upkeep once done.

I can do this for you if you like. take only a minute.
Once and or if you fill the vps, then rent another one at $15 a year and then you might want to have one for iso's and one for packages or something, but you only need one domain name. Say the first one is used for isos and the second is used for packages, then your website just points to the ip addy of the second vps for packages etc..... or whatever, not telling you how to setup your own damn site, just giving an example of spreading space over multiple servers....

im kinda in the middle of expanding myself, ill have a Pussy DVD version that will be 4.3GB in size to serve and then a USB version of that the same size, so im gonna separate my personal projects and my linux stuff over 2 servers but have one website.

So people will goto thepussycatforest.info still and it will look the same, but when the visitor clicks on pussy linux download then the url for that points to the ip of the new server, so essentially i have 20Gb in space i can just use for ISOs. When the visitor clicks on other stuff or uses one of the game servers i host then it will still use the first server.

difference in url links to do this (all on the main webpage on the first server):

<a href="http://thepussycatforest.info/verse/comic/">view latest comic </a> <---------- comic dir hosted on first vps

<a href="http://203.18.74.11/iso/"> download pussy linux </a>

that second one shows how to link to the isos hosted on the second server. This works seamlessly and the user is none the wiser, and when they click back button on their browser they return to the main page on the first server.

I usually just host files by themselves in a directory with no html lists set out in a visually pleasing manner, however other people prefer the better looking way of linking each individual file to a url on a html page as this lets you design more visually appealing sites but requires alot more upkeep. The method i described pretty much runs itself. But i keep things as simple as possible so this may or may not be the option for you.

I explained this stuff not just for your benefit as i know you already know all this and have administered websites for a long time, i went into the technical aspects of it for others reading this who may not be experienced with this type of thing.

but anyway... yeah quickpacket is unmanaged, so its up to you to do everything, and i am offering to setup a system like mentioned above for you, its no problem. but all the newer type things like mysql and fancy type things i have no idea at all whatsoever. A single main page with dirs containing files (if files need explaining i usually have a README.txt) is about my limit, i havent learned anything more sophisticated because ive had no need.

hope it all works out and keep well my friend.

NeroVance

#14 Post by NeroVance »

This might not totally be on topic, but on the subject relating to a closing repo, I think about something I've always thought was good. Distribution of packages perhaps?

Have a main "repository" that would for the most part, just be a list of packages, and urls to access them. But one could perhaps add redundancy to this by allowing multiple urls per package for if one goes down.

but that's just my two cents. But on hosting and the like.

I agree that one needs to be careful about what they choose. What use is paying for a long period of cheap hosting if they vanish the next day, taking your money with them.