How to compile driver for RTL8188CUS USB wireless chipset?

dk60902

#21 Post by dk60902 »

Yes, I did download the .pet from the link you sent (on page 2), and now I understand that it is for 5.2.8. The WPA fix was for puppy 4.1 (not applicable for me). I have a work computer with wireless USB with chipset RTL8188CUS running Win XP. I want to get Puppy 5.2.8 running on it. Thank you.

moleonacid

#22 Post by moleonacid »

Hello,

This is my first post here, so I hope it's in the right place etc.

I know I'm resurrecting an ancient thread, but it is very visible in Google when looking for "RTL8188CUS puppy" and the like so I think it's a good place to post it in hopes that it may help others.

I wanted to get an RTL8188CUS going under Wary 5.3.9, kernel 2.6.32.59. The above posts worked like a champ. Specifically:

1. Downloaded devx and kernel sources. Kernel sources were hard to find for this version of Wary, in the end I found them here:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/sfs/

2. Downloaded and installed sfs_load to load the above two files - worked flawlessly.

3. Downloaded the driver source from http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downlo ... loads=true and unzipped it somewhere handy.

4. Enetered the driver directory in the console, performed chmod +x on install.h and gave it a go. Make thows an error. cd'ed into the driver directory and ran "make" and "make install". No errors.

5. Plugged in my wifi adapter and used the simple network setup to connect to the network. WPA/WPA2 working fine. Used "ifconfig eth0 down" to drop my wired connection to make doubly sure it was all good. I am using the adapter to post this message now.

Thanks to all above for your clear directions - I hope my contribution is also useful.

moleonacid

#23 Post by moleonacid »

Further to my above post, I have created a .pet. This was done on an intel i686 box but the driver work fine on my amd64 box. It my first ever package for any distro so I'm still emerging through the murk!

After installing run:

Code: Select all

depmod -a
modprobe 8192cu
as per pemasu's post above. The use your favourite network setup tool as you normally would.

don570

#24 Post by don570 »

Final driver is here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=240