FATSlacko

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jasper

#81 Post by Jasper »

starhawk,

Doubtless you'll have some compelling reason why you cannot leave any selected LibreOffice program(s) minimised for future instant access.

So, possibly: http://www.codechewing.com/library/spee ... load-time/ may help.

Is forever >5", >10", >15", or what?

My regards

PS In another thread you agreed SeaMonkey stinks. RSVP there.

starhawk

#82 Post by starhawk »

Upon clicking the icon "write" on the desktop to bring up LO Writer, it takes upwards of a minute before the screen appears. I can time it exactly if you so desire :P

On a system as modern as this, that's simply unacceptable. My laptop (less capable and older Core2Duo, spoiled with a copy of WinXP) takes about half that time to open the same. There's a problem here!

I will see if that website's tips are helpful in a little while.

I do not see a reply from you (or anyone else, for that matter) to my Seamonkey post in the thread you mention -- or am I confused as to what you meant?

darkcity

#83 Post by darkcity »

Someone posted over at the Inkscape forum about that program being slow to start. Its often something that is over looked by developers. In Inkscape the bottle neck appears to be in the font loading.

Someone has reported a bug with the logo display timing a long time in LibreOffice see (maybe windows only though)-
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46436

rcrsn51

#84 Post by rcrsn51 »

starhawk wrote:Upon clicking the icon "write" on the desktop to bring up LO Writer, it takes upwards of a minute before the screen appears.
I cannot duplicate this problem. I set up an old HP Athlon machine with 768 MB (the minimum recommended RAM). I did a frugal install of FATSlacko onto a USB hard drive.

After bootup, I can launch Writer in under 10 seconds. Subsequent starts only take 3 seconds.

However, my install only has LibreOffice in the menus, not on the desktop. So I don't know why your setup should be so different from mine.

starhawk

#85 Post by starhawk »

OK, that's really really weird.

I'm running a frugal install to the HD, a spare 160gb IDE model. I hope the drive isn't failing!

EDIT: if it is, no big, I've got desktop IDE drives aplenty.

EDIT2: Processor spec shows up at boot, hadn't noticed. Here's detailed specs, then...

200W Dell Power Supply
Athlon64 3500+ Socket AM2 CPU
2gb RAM (as 2x512mb + 1x1024mb)
160gb IDE HDD (random from spares)
Dell OEM Foxconn ATi RADEON X600 PCIe x16 Graphics Card (phew!)
WiFi card (random from spares)

Er, one other question... how can I keep the SFS-Load-On-The-Fly popup from popping up each and every boot?

EDIT3: Jasper, your article helped a lot -- although the quickstarter is apparently optional and was not included in the build for FATSlacko. A pity.

rcrsn51

#86 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you accidentally loading another Open/Libre Office from an SFS package?

starhawk

#87 Post by starhawk »

I have not installed any SFS packages at all. The only thing I've installed so far IIRC is Chrome, and that from Slickpet. (FWIW, there WAS a graphics card driver installed, but I wiped that out with a new install.)

Jasper

#88 Post by Jasper »

starhawk,

This is definitely worth trying. Install PupMenu 2.8.1 pet from radky if you don't already have it. Load libreoffice-startcenter then load writer, calc or whatever from StartCentre - you may find it faster than loading any particular program directly.

To re-launch use the Launch history button.

My regards

You said the earlier link helped. Approximately how many seconds did it save and if PupMenu helps, how many extra seconds does that save?

Also, what is your compelling reason why you cannot leave slow loading apps minimised to your tray - so enabling instantaneous reuse with a single click?

Jasper

#89 Post by Jasper »

starhawk,

See the picture and google to find the pet, then run it and make your choices then your LO sfs will be made automatically.

Making the sfs look about 20 minutes (with my high quality 1998 desktop with 2002 motherboard replacement and slow Broadband).

The first run of the sfs took about a minute - the second loading was very fast - you tell us how fast it is for you. If it isn't fast get your machine repaired or ........

I use an ext4 formatted 16GB usb2 flash stick, said to read @ 22MB/s which cost about US$10 delivered.

My regards
Attachments
LO-3.6.1-and-Slacko-5.3.1.jpg
(5.87 KiB) Downloaded 629 times

gcmartin

#90 Post by gcmartin »

FATSlacko does not need any install for either of the followings:
  • JRE
  • LO
  • SAMBA
Everything is operationally there, including other Puppy traditional packages and some! And it works without any need to access the web, download, or add....unless there are other packages or subsystem you want to add to FATSlacko's already rich features included.

As he has shown, it appears that there is something that is creating an interference.

I am going to ASSUME you did NOT remaster FATSlacko. Let try this:
  • Restart FATSlacko. At BOOT menu, type the following

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
  • Setup FirstRUN with all of you proper localization needs including the hostname
  • This will cause a desktop restart (not a system reboot...a desktop restart).
  • Please "time" the 2 following items and post back, please
    1. First, Go to the MENU>Business>LO (or writer)
    2. Next, click the Write Icon on the desktop to start LO Writer
Here to help

starhawk

#91 Post by starhawk »

gcmartin, I'll do that -- tomorrow when I have time ;) I'll make a note.

umair

#92 Post by umair »

hello:
I am using Fat Slako from a couple of weeks now, really liked it.
I want to discuss one thread, which I found.
I used wireless modem once using fat slako's pupdail without any trouble. Since thn I have to configure my LAN card settings on every boot, Dont know why this is happening.
Note: I am using FRUGAL Installation.
Any Idea ?
Thnx in Advance.
Regards
UMAIR

nooby

#93 Post by nooby »

FatSlacko being more complete than standard Slacko
how do I install Spotify what files does it still need for spotify to work?

And Screeny in Standard Slacko needing xwd that is missing
is that included in FatSlacko?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76204
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

maddog

Fat for Slacko 5.4?

#94 Post by maddog »

I'm hoping there is going to be a v5.4 version of Fatslacko. Saves me from installing the extra stuff. Will there be one?

--Ray.

Pelo

Never tried FAT Slacko.

#95 Post by Pelo »

Thin Slacko is one of my prefered puppies. Never tried FAT Slacko.
Dowloading. Sure i will remove LibreOfice as since four years, i have been retired from Business. Goffice will be enough if i had to type some letters to administration or taxes services.
For family, i still use my pencil.
But I Will Add XFCE to get The Puppy fat again. :)
There are newer Puppy Slacko ? Yes, i know. I bought my Medion feb 2012. Fat Slacko was released 2012, they should marry together well.. Feed back soon.
In fact i am getting back to previous Puppies, because kernels are changing, but not my computer.
Attachments
Business.jpg
A DataBase !
(63.59 KiB) Downloaded 420 times

Pelo

abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10.17-goffice-0.8.17-dpup.pet:

#96 Post by Pelo »

abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10.17-goffice-0.8.17-dpup.pet: 5545 K will be enough for me, it works out of the box, and i shall use the 180MB (compressed) of LIBRE OFFICE to get fun with my Puppy.
I can export to lot of formats, what the huge Libre Office is unable to do !
Gnumeric was a perfect clone of MS-Excel , .. with bugs corrected !
Attachments
Grub.jpg
Fat and Slim Slacko : the opposite
(37.52 KiB) Downloaded 407 times