Problem with Lucid Puppy screen resolution

Using applications, configuring, problems
AlfredReed

Problem with Lucid Puppy screen resolution

#1 Post by AlfredReed »

I have tried over the years to find a workable Linux distro that I could use out of the box. I have mucho windows experience. I get it as to GUI and can find stuff fairly easily -- a big problem is when something goes wrong, which it undoubtedly does with every distro. For example, I am trying out a Lucid Puppy CD in my desktop that has XP which doesn't boot.

I like Lucid pretty much and was about to ask a question here about can I install it to my hdd and make it the booting OS -- I want it to boot and also retain my settings, etc. and act like the default OS. But before I got to that point I found that the default screen resolution is 1600x1200, which is too small to read. So I figured out how to change the resolution with Xargo only to find that with any resolution other than 1600x1200 the taskbar completely disappears. When I went online to search for a solution, the ones I found are all DOS style fixes beyond any newbie's understanding.

I hate to drop Lucid for such a dumb issue but unless there is a simple solution I have no choice. This is the typical type of problem with Linux in general in my experiences that makes it so I could never put in the time it would take when something goes south -- what if I was working on a file and it broke? With Windows I know what to or can find it fairly easily, but Linux seems very esoteric and nebulousto me.

My questions now are: is there a simple way to get back the Lucid taskbar when changing the screen resolution makes it disappear; and/or what other kind of distro might be reliable enough out of the box so I can learn Linux while using it without encountering such simplistic issues that are monsters to solve?

Thanks,
AlfredReed

dk60902

#2 Post by dk60902 »

Once you boot up, press ctrl-atl-backspace. At the # prompt, type xorgwizard. Then select test. Select your desired resolution. Then, type xwin at the # prompt.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Hi Alfred- Welcome to the forums.

Aside from DK's post I suggest you try a video upgrade and see if things improve.

Rt-clk your desktop >> setup >> setup Pup >> Quickpet and go to the *drivers* tab.

Once there- you'll understand what to do..

==

Then again, try changing your *global* font size to 96 under desktop settings..
Attachments
gfs.jpg
(90.45 KiB) Downloaded 3358 times

glene77is

#4 Post by glene77is »

Semme,
Thanks. for reference to "high" video driver :)
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Glene, did that solve your problem? :?

amitk89

Increasing the size of elements on screen

#6 Post by amitk89 »

I have a 1600x900 resolution screen, which i use to view from a distance say 2-3 meters. Now in that resolution and from that distance i am not able to read anything or even click on minimize, maximize or close buttons properly. I would like to increase the size of all these elements including font. Please guide me what can I do. I have mijnpup linux which uses Lucid puppy I believe.