Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 15 Sep 2014, 23:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Problem with Lucid Puppy screen resolution
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
AlfredReed

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2012, 13:22    Post subject:  Problem with Lucid Puppy screen resolution  

I have tried over the years to find a workable Linux distro that I could use out of the box. I have mucho windows experience. I get it as to GUI and can find stuff fairly easily -- a big problem is when something goes wrong, which it undoubtedly does with every distro. For example, I am trying out a Lucid Puppy CD in my desktop that has XP which doesn't boot.

I like Lucid pretty much and was about to ask a question here about can I install it to my hdd and make it the booting OS -- I want it to boot and also retain my settings, etc. and act like the default OS. But before I got to that point I found that the default screen resolution is 1600x1200, which is too small to read. So I figured out how to change the resolution with Xargo only to find that with any resolution other than 1600x1200 the taskbar completely disappears. When I went online to search for a solution, the ones I found are all DOS style fixes beyond any newbie's understanding.

I hate to drop Lucid for such a dumb issue but unless there is a simple solution I have no choice. This is the typical type of problem with Linux in general in my experiences that makes it so I could never put in the time it would take when something goes south -- what if I was working on a file and it broke? With Windows I know what to or can find it fairly easily, but Linux seems very esoteric and nebulousto me.

My questions now are: is there a simple way to get back the Lucid taskbar when changing the screen resolution makes it disappear; and/or what other kind of distro might be reliable enough out of the box so I can learn Linux while using it without encountering such simplistic issues that are monsters to solve?

Thanks,
AlfredReed
dk60902

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2012, 13:59    Post subject:  

Once you boot up, press ctrl-atl-backspace. At the # prompt, type xorgwizard. Then select test. Select your desired resolution. Then, type xwin at the # prompt.
Semme

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2012, 15:12    Post subject:  

Hi Alfred- Welcome to the forums.

Aside from DK's post I suggest you try a video upgrade and see if things improve.

Rt-clk your desktop >> setup >> setup Pup >> Quickpet and go to the *drivers* tab.

Once there- you'll understand what to do..

==

Then again, try changing your *global* font size to 96 under desktop settings..
gfs.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   90.45 KB
 Viewed   1277 Time(s)

gfs.jpg

glene77is

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 06:46    Post subject:  

Semme,
Thanks. for reference to "high" video driver Smile

Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 29 Sep 2012, 08:34    Post subject:  

Glene, did that solve your problem? Confused
amitk89

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:01    Post subject: Increasing the size of elements on screen
Subject description: want to increase the size of all items

I have a 1600x900 resolution screen, which i use to view from a distance say 2-3 meters. Now in that resolution and from that distance i am not able to read anything or even click on minimize, maximize or close buttons properly. I would like to increase the size of all these elements including font. Please guide me what can I do. I have mijnpup linux which uses Lucid puppy I believe.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Jump to: