Newbies - Puppy needs YOUR help too!

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

#821 Post by liro »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but... having an un-updatable version of SeaMonkey as the default browser in the latest official version of Puppy seems a really bad idea to me. Any newbies connecting to the internet for the first time are going to be instantly put off Puppy by the warning message that appears when opening the browser, only to find they have no way of updating the software (unless they find the relevant thread in this forum on how to do it). Having an updateable version of Firefox, Opera or Chrome as the default browser would be a much better idea IMO.

dk60902

#822 Post by dk60902 »

I'm not sure why Seamonkey 2.9.1 on Slacko 5.3.3 does not allow updating when clicking help - about. I think that once I upgraded to 2.11, I could go to help, and there was a selection to check for updates. It wasn't difficult to upgrade from 2.9.1 to 2.11, but for a new Puppy or linux user, I agree that there should be an easier way to do so.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

bob-ca

First Time Unix user - 5.3.3 is cool

#823 Post by bob-ca »

Wow, I loved my first 5.3.3 experience! It worked great on an old machine. Thought the hard drive was dead, so made a 5.3.3 boot CD. Unplugged the hard-drive and went to town. Connected to Ethernet, then xchat. Puppy chat was the bomb! Got some great help from Nilsonmorales, Brown_ Mouse and TLC. Didn't bother with seamonkey, went right for Chrome 19 install, cruised around. I also went to and used imagebin.org for the first time - very cool.

Then created an updated Boot CD that saved my current session as a clean, full-up boot (ie, wire and wireless info, Xchat and Chrome 19 baseline, including bookmarks). Then I created a USB boot. Love the small size, fast response. Was very impressed that I was able to play ripped movie using only 20% cpu, ram not over 89Meg! My P4 3ghz usually can't keep up when running windows, CPU is over 90% utilization during a movie, with frequent sound and screen hick-ups. I could become a lover of the Puppy! Going to boot on friends old laptop tomorrow.

Downside ... after talking to a few folks today, don't think Adobe is going to create a Flash update for Chrome. Have to have flash, html solution will take to long for everyone on the net to get there (tech guy broadcast and to a lesser degree, youtube). Maybe I'll try another browser.?

darkcity

#824 Post by darkcity »

welcome to the kennels 8)

Adobe has dropped support of Flash on Linux after version 11.2.
It will continue to provide security fixes for 11.2 on Linux.

There are open alternatives being developed such as Gnash http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Gnash and Lightspark

Dewbie

#825 Post by Dewbie »

bob-ca wrote:
Downside ... after talking to a few folks today, don't think Adobe is going to create a Flash update for Chrome.
From what I understand, Chrome will use (or is currently using) a Flash substitute called "Pepper."

Louis Lavery

#826 Post by Louis Lavery »

I've just started using puppy and think it's great. Only downside so far is SeaMonkey (1.1.18), I'm really going to have to upgrade, but that's a two stage process from what I've read. It would have been better if I didn't have to do this upgrade, especially as I'm just starting to learn about linux. I'm using puppy 4.3.1, as that's what I thought I was supposed to do. Perhaps I should have started with some other version, I mean so as to get a better version of SeaMonkey?
But that's the only complaint I've got, I really like the system especially being able to boot from a CD, so thanks to the guys who made this possible.
Regards, Louis.

cthisbear

#827 Post by cthisbear »

Louis Lavery"

Welcome to Puppy mate.

Post your hardware specs.
If it is old and low spec there are other versions of Puppy 4.31

""

Official 4.3.2

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54082

Last page...James C

" Still using a full install of 432 v3 for my backup os....
still as solid as when I installed way back when it was released.

Not flashy but it just keeps on working. :)
No problem keeping the browsers updated....
Firefox 9.0.1, SeaMonkey 2.6.1 and Opera 11.60.

Chris.

James C

#828 Post by James C »

cthisbear wrote:Louis Lavery"

Welcome to Puppy mate.

Post your hardware specs.
If it is old and low spec there are other versions of Puppy 4.31

""

Official 4.3.2

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=54082

Last page...James C

" Still using a full install of 432 v3 for my backup os....
still as solid as when I installed way back when it was released.

Not flashy but it just keeps on working. :)
No problem keeping the browsers updated....
Firefox 9.0.1, SeaMonkey 2.6.1 and Opera 11.60.

Chris.
For what it's worth, I'm still running it with no problems and with Firefox 15,SeaMonkey 2.12 and Opera 12 ....it just keeps on working. :)

Dewbie

#829 Post by Dewbie »

Louis Lavery wrote:
I've just started using puppy and think it's great. Only downside so far is SeaMonkey 1.1.18, I'm really going to have to upgrade, but that's a two stage process from what I've read.
You have a couple more options, too...courtesy of shinobar:
1. Update SeaMonkey. (An SFS, so it won't eat up your save file.)
2. Update to 431JP, 2012 edition.

Edit:
Active link for Official 4.3.2 is here:
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy_isos.html
Last edited by Dewbie on Tue 18 Sep 2012, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

Louis Lavery

#830 Post by Louis Lavery »

Thanks for the quick replies. Between you I think you've given me enough info to keep me busy for a while, it's also given me confidence to do a little experimenting with the systems, thanks. Although I like to keep it simple (KISS as they say in my trade, I write in C++).

@cthisbear: I've a Dell Latitude x300 (love the machine). Not sure what specs you want but have got this off "System Information".

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz
Memory 634468 kB
-Display- Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
-SCSI Disks-
ATA HTS548040M9AT00
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324S

I've actually got 2.5 x300s (the 0.5 is a busted machine used for spares) and intend trying things out. I need to run Windows xp/7 as that's what my software (that I write for to earn dosh) runs on most of the time. At present I use one machine for work, I boot to puppy from cd or to windows from hd.
I'll use the second machine for experiments, but always with the intention of keeping the system snug. So if you've any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks, Louis.

Dewbie

#831 Post by Dewbie »

Louis Lavery wrote:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz
Memory 634468 kB
Plenty of power there, for either Lucid, Slacko or Wary. :)
It's a matter of which one works best and/or which one you prefer.

cthisbear

#832 Post by cthisbear »

rjbrewer

#833 Post by rjbrewer »

Pentium M is a great processor, but avoid any Puppy that
uses an affectation known as the PAE kernel, it will not
work.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

RaptureWatcher

#834 Post by RaptureWatcher »

i have been using Slacko Puppy 5.3.3 for about a month or so now and i think it is great! The Internet works far better in Slacko than in Puppy Lucid 5.2.8 or in Racy Puppy so i do see a forward improvement!!

though i would like to see Slacko come in a studio iso file that includes all of the software already installed on it so i dont have to download the extra packages, maybe as an option to the normal Slacko iso file.

Also with the SFs files there is a maximum load of only 6 SFs files, i dont understand SFs that well but i would think if there was a larger number i wouldn't have to worry about getting rid of some to get some SFs loaded. It will just make it a bit easier.

Also i have been testing Fatdog64 and i think that Slacko could learn some things from the ultraquick Fatdog64, maybe we could see a Fatdog32 version of Slacko in the future?

Just my 2cents worth

darussell

A Newbie

#835 Post by darussell »

I'm a retired AT&Ter who (years ago) dabble in UNIX. Been nothing but Windows for years, but recently my new son-in-law (from New Zealand) introduced me to Xubuntu, which I promptly loaded on a little SONY UX-180P (UMPC.) That caused me to turn to my trusty old Toshiba Libretto. With only 64Mb RAM, I knew Xubuntu wouldn't cut it, so I looked at DSL (it fired up all the PCMCIA CDROM and floppies) but left me otherwise unimpressed. Then I turned to Puppy Linux.

To install I had to remove the hard drive and put it in a desktop. I will confess, I wnt through the process multiple times over several days, as I found all the Googled instructions either faulty or lacking. However, at long last I got it working; Puppy 4.1.2.

I haven't wrestled yet with getting the PCMCIA devices working, but (unlike DSL) I was able to get wireless network connectivity with an old Microsoft MN720 PCMCIA card. I've got the desktop resized to the Libretto's 800x480, but it is causing me difficulty with some of the built-in apps that go off the botttom of the screen. Seamonkey suffices, but does come to a screaming halt when I encounter sites with excessive scripting.

I've tried downloading Opera and Firefox, but haven't had any luck getting them to work (remember I'm a Newbie!) Any helpful tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

For any interested Libretto eyes, battery life with my old battery is 2+ hours (DSL was almost double that!)

Anyway, looking forward to making friendships and learning further re: Puppy Linux. BTW, should I investigate 4.3?

starhawk

#836 Post by starhawk »

Does this Libretto have a model number, so we can look up specifications?

64mb RAM is really, really, REALLY low spec. Puppy needs about 256mb at the very bare minimum, 512mb to be really comfortable. You want to either upgrade RAM or put in a generous amount of swap space (format part of the drive as linux-swap).

Puppyt

#837 Post by Puppyt »

Hi darussell -
I wish you every success with your project! A member known as "Libretto100ct" got close to doing a Puppy for Librettos, but I don't know if he ever uploaded the ISO for others to use. I think he left the forums some time ago :( . This is the thread which you might find useful, and there are some more recent alternative suggestions - libretto pup? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40512.
If you get further, here is another informative post - installing puppy on a Libretto L1/060tncm with pmcia CDdrive http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=20075.
This is a useful starting point perhaps -http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Barebones. I mucked about a bit myself with low-end hardware, maybe this thread could be of help to you- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48214
- and a last tip - http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html is I think the best search engine for the puppy forums.

P.S. Welcome to the kennels!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

darussell

4.1.2 on Libretto

#838 Post by darussell »

It's a Toshiba Libretto 110CT, a 233MHz Pentium with 64Mb RAM. I've swapped out the hard drive multiple times, but the one currently u=in support of Puppy is a 6Gb. I'm a sucker for small electronics, as I;ve had this Libretto for more than a decade, and I'm trying to further extend its life and productivity. I've done likewise with my little Sony VAIO UX-180P (UMPC) having replaced Windows XP with Xubuntu. I've still got a little IBM PC110 (only sold in Japan) that's about 4"x6"x1.5" that I've got booting and running off a CF. It's a slow 486 that someday maybe I'll investigate some sort of Linux offshoot for play.

Anyway, thanks for the urls; I'll give them a try as soon as possible. Still chasing the missing Menu/Taskbar....

Appreciate your help!

darussell

Puppy on Libretto

#839 Post by darussell »

Forgot to mention: 64Mb RAM is limit on this platform. If you're adventurous, I'm aware of some over-clocking schemes that will take you to 96Mb RAM, but that's it. So far, Puppy doing OK on 64Mb.

Libretto core machine is equipped with two PCMCIA slots. Addl docking station adds two more PCMCIAs as well as a USB, PS/2 mouse, VGA aux, etc. I've got working PCMCIA floppy disk drive and CDROM. Haven't been able to get either working under Puppy, but both fired up under DSL.

darussell

Puppy on Libretto

#840 Post by darussell »

Well, I re-installed Puppy 4.1.1 on my Libretto, and (by choosing a generic video, rather than the detected NeoMagic Video card) I now have the Menu/Taskbar back. The only drawback is the 640x480 display, rather than the preferred 800x480. Plus this time it is picking up my USB on the docking station. Also still recognizing the wireleass card in one of the two PCMCIAS slots on the computer, but doesn't see the two PCMCIAs in the docking station.

Progress, nonetheless!