Trouble with USB setup of HP printer

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
wildirish

Trouble with USB setup of HP printer

#1 Post by wildirish »

OK, I've searched the forums, I've searched google, and I'm at my wits' end. :(

I can't get my printer set up in Puppy v. 2.00 (with Opera browser). The printer is an HP Deskjet 952C connected via USB. During setup, I select the proper driver that the wizard tells me to (ijs-pcl-900). Strangely, though, a driver called hp-laserjet-5 is highlighted in pink by default--I have no idea why. So I click ijs-pcl-900, then "next".

For the interface, I select the interface local-port, then try each of the suggestions for USB devices (/dev/usb/lp0, /dev/usb/lp1). Neither works.

When I select "show status" of the printer in xpdq, it says, "The status_exec script had no output". When I select "show errors", it says, "The printer is configured properly and should work on your system".

The only thing I can figure out is that somehow Puppy isn't recognizing my USB devices. I tried doing modprobe /dev/usb/lp0 (and lp1), and it says the modules aren't found. Perhaps I'm not using the right syntax (I'll admit, I am a newbie), or else my USB devices just aren't showing up.

So my questions are:

1) How can I confirm whether or not my USB ports have been detected by Puppy?

2) If not, then how can I configure them (from the command line or otherwise)?

3) If Puppy *has* detected the USB ports, then what do I need to do, to make my printer work?

I've attached an image of the results I got in the USB viewer, in case that info would be helpful. BTW, though it says "950C", the printer is a 952C; HP just uses the same driver for several models.

I hope this info is specific enough...if anyone needs any more info, just say the word, and I'll provide it. (If it involves using the command line, please give me the specific command/s I need to get this info...the Linux how-to books don't go too far beyond basics like "cd" and "pwd", unfortunately....)

I've followed the printer wizard's instructions over and over till I practically have carpal tunnel syndrome, so if anyone can help me with this, I'd appreciate it very much! :)
Attachments
USBviewer.png
(11.1 KiB) Downloaded 525 times

fluxit

#2 Post by fluxit »

Try modprobe usblp. That will load the usb printer module if it is not already loaded.

The laserjet5 driver is highlighted because it has dependencies that are not present in puppy currently.

--Lee

wildirish

#3 Post by wildirish »

fluxit wrote:Try modprobe usblp. That will load the usb printer module if it is not already loaded.
Thank you! Now my printer works perfectly! Image
fluxit wrote:The laserjet5 driver is highlighted because it has dependencies that are not present in puppy currently.
Thanks for explaining.

BTW, that's a gorgeous cat in your avatar!

JohnJohn

#4 Post by JohnJohn »

I had the same exact problem and have been working on it for days!!! I left a message on the DSL-N Forum. Thousands of people, okay a hundred looked at the messge but not one seemed to have an answer -- no one replied anyway.

This suggestions solved it for me too. Thank you Lee!!!!!! Kudos.

NOW I have the same problem with my WUSB11 v3 wireless lan card. Any suggestions for it????

JMF

fluxit

#5 Post by fluxit »

Welcome to the Puppy forums.

As far as I have been able to determine, this topic still aplies to your card:http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=5082#5082

IOW you need to use either wlan-ng's prism2_usb module, or ndiswrapper with your windows driver. tempestuous seems to be one of the resident wireless experts.