Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
don570

#3561 Post by don570 »

I adapted a script to Saluki to split up large files.

It allows a large file such as an ISO to be split up
to avoid size limits that file hosting services impose on users.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80872

Instructions: Right click on file. Follow the menu to split file.
A folder is created automatically. Inside is a script that will
reassemble the chunks back to the original file.

You should test it so that you are comfortable that it works.

Geoffrey

#3562 Post by Geoffrey »

Well I received a message from Jemimah, She tells me that she is fine and has a new job, this doesn't leave much time for anything else and no motivation to work on Linux right now.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Jasper

#3563 Post by Jasper »

Hi Geoffrey,

Great to hear jemimah is fine and I/we hope she is enjoying her new job.
and thanks for the good news and .....

jemimah - my/our very best wishes if you read this,

Puppyt

#3564 Post by Puppyt »

Yay jemimah!

Can't keep a good girl down :)
(I think she is a force of nature...)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Geoffrey

#3565 Post by Geoffrey »

Jasper wrote:Hi Geoffrey,

Great to hear jemimah is fine and I/we hope she is enjoying her new job.
and thanks for the good news and .....

jemimah - my/our very best wishes if you read this,
Yes it's good to hear that Jemimah has a new job, I can understand that everyday live takes precedence over life here on the forum.

I wish her all the best for the future, don't be a stranger, there is no pressure or obligation here, it's a joy not a job.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

jakfish

Touchscreen How-To for Saluki

#3566 Post by jakfish »

If jemimah is enjoying a well-earned break from puppy and things linux, I wanted to ask the advice of this thread's elders: she asked me to put together a How-To for touchscreens on saluki, and it's ready, and I'm not certain what I should do with it.

Tested on a Lenovo S10-3t IdeaPad, should I simply post the set-up in this thread, or should I PM it to one of you folks?

Obviously, with a thread this cumbersome, helpful stuff can get lost, but I defer to those here who know more than me.

Best,
Jake

Geoffrey

Re: Touchscreen How-To for Saluki

#3567 Post by Geoffrey »

jakfish wrote:If jemimah is enjoying a well-earned break from puppy and things linux, I wanted to ask the advice of this thread's elders: she asked me to put together a How-To for touchscreens on saluki, and it's ready, and I'm not certain what I should do with it.

Tested on a Lenovo S10-3t IdeaPad, should I simply post the set-up in this thread, or should I PM it to one of you folks?

Obviously, with a thread this cumbersome, helpful stuff can get lost, but I defer to those here who know more than me.

Best,
Jake
Jake,

I think all documentation for Saluki should be posted at saluki-linux.com, but as we have no admin access at the moment, it may take a while to setup a new topic for How-To's and Tutorials, else as you say, it would be lost in the mix.

You could post it here and it can be copied to the Saluki forum at a later date, that way everyone will still have access to your work.

cheers,
Geoffrey

linucks

Re: Touchscreen How-To for Saluki

#3568 Post by linucks »

Hi all!

Dear Jakfish, I've been having issues setting up the driver for serial wacom tablet and the xorg.conf. I would be very happy to get my little cute fujitsu lifebook p1510 with a serial wacom enabled touchscreen working with saluki linux. Everything else works perfectly except the touchscreen, which wouldn't be a problem except there is no touchpad on this little 9 incher and the little mouse nub is hard to use. Maybe your guide may help give me some ideas on how to set it up. I'm a noob at commandline and config files, kernel modules and drivers in linux by the way.
jakfish wrote:If jemimah is enjoying a well-earned break from puppy and things linux, I wanted to ask the advice of this thread's elders: she asked me to put together a How-To for touchscreens on saluki, and it's ready, and I'm not certain what I should do with it.

Best,
Jake

don570

#3569 Post by don570 »

I haven't been able to get the wacom driver to work as well.

So I'd like to get it working as well.

don570

#3570 Post by don570 »

Saluki additions software ---> the quick way to give Saluki some extra
features

I've updated the Saluki additions software with
rightclick_split_file-1.8.pet

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79208

elroy

Carolina Linux

#3571 Post by elroy »

Carolina Linux

Here are some of the details of the upcoming beta release of Carolina-001

We're shooting to release the initial beta version Friday, October 5th. Blemishes and all :D I'm currently checking into google-code/sourceforge for bug-tracking capability. Some people have expressed their desire for this capability for a puppy-distro, and our goal is to give you what you want (to a point – so many people want so many different things, at some point you just have to choose based on the given options...). We're currently approaching an ISO of 400 mb. Certainly small enough for a pen drive, but large by Puppy standards. However, it does include some features that make the size worth it for the Windows/Mac transient user.

Carolina is a fork of Saluki-023. Due to jemimah's absence, we felt this would be the best way to proceed with moving a fork of Saluki towards a release without modifying Saluki itself, in the advent of jemimah’s return. If jemimah does return, hopefully the two projects can collaborate. If not, then Carolina will forge ahead.

A special thanks to smokey01 needs to be mentioned, as he has been generous enough to provide Carolina with the necessary server space for the repository. Without people like smokey01, this probably wouldn't have been possible.

When the release does go forward, we will be creating a separate thread on the murga-linux forum, separate from Saluki. We feel this is a necessary thing to do, and a polite thing, certainly if jemimah decides to pick up where she left off at some point down the road. We have a great respect for jemimah, and we certainly don't want to hamper Saluki in any way.

It’s a bit bigger than originally stated - currently it's approaching 400mb. We’ve opted for usability over size. We reasoned that if size was an issue, there’s always Saluki. Or another Puppy distro. Or for the experienced user, Carolina with a customized adrive via the custom-builder (Carolina's base without the adrive is about 102 mbs). Regardless, it still fits on a thumb-drive, so relatively speaking, it’s still quite small. Like I said, if you're put off by the size, there's a plethora of other Puppy options for you to choose from. We won't be offended if you choose to go a different route. On the contrary, we hope you enjoy your Puppy experience.

Carolina’s goals will be to target newer computer features and to help ease the transition of users new to the Linux environment (ex Windows/Mac users). These goals are essentially the same as they were for Saluki. While it may not be complimentary, essentially we're creating a non-official Puppy that does for Puppy what Ubuntu does for Linux, except for the fact that we can offer the full benefits of Puppy/Saluki - frugal installation, easy customization via the custom-builder, and a more intuitive desktop/window manager via Xfce, with the added benefit of being packaged in a smaller space than most of the popular distributions. Ease of use/transition with new users in mind is paramount. If we succeed in introducing Windows/Mac users to the benefits Puppy Linux, then I guess that's a good thing irregardless if what we've developed is considered sacrilege to the hard-core Puppy Linux supporters. We happen to think there's a niche for this type of Puppy, and therefore we felt the need to fill it. If you don't agree, then so be it. Every one is entitled to their opinion, but we'd appreciate it if you'd keep that to yourself.

Included will be:
Xfce-4.10 for the desktop/window manager
Xfce-4.8.0 for the panel plugins (4.10 is lacking in this department as of now)
PAE 3.2.13 Linux kernel
Firefox-15.0.1 for the browser
built-in flash support for the browser
Thunderbird-15.0.1 for the email client
UMPlayer 0.97 for the media player (including 01mickos’s patch for YouTube fix)
Clementine 1.0.1 for the audio player
photo-0.8 for image viewing
Qt to support the previous three packages
The latest version of LibreOffice for your office needs/MS document compatibility
Java to support the LibreOffice database, and the browser
Enhanced custom-menu/extra menu category support not offered in Saluki
Enhanced Xfce options via GUI not offered in Saluki, or currently any other distro, Puppy or otherwise
Larger save-file resizing increments
Bug-fixes (moving forward from Saluki-023)
A more concise repository than Saluki's offered

NOTES:
* Our target desktop version is Xfce-4.10; however, Xfce-4.8.0 still needs to be included to support many of the panel plug-ins which currently are not available in Xfce-4.10. This is also the case with Saluki-023. Moving forward, when those plug-ins are available for the targeted version, we will migrate totally to Xfce-4.10.

* Carolina will be about 98% compatible with Saluki pets/sfs. The Saluki repository will not be offered in the package manager due to redundancy (many of the pets offered are the same). The Carolina repository will only include the latest versions of pets (in most cases). If an older version is required, it may be obtained at http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/. The Xfce pets and Saluki specific pets most likely aren't compatible with Carolina due to modifications that were necessary to implement Carolina. If you choose to use those packages from the Saluki repository, you are doing so at your own risk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We still have a long way to go, but our goal is to improve upon Saluki. In light of jemimah’s absence, we feel this is the most practical route to achieve those aims. Certainly, Geoffrey and I are not as talented or as experienced as jemimah, so please be patient. Your patience and your help would be most appreciated.

Here’s a screen-shot of the default Carolina Linux desktop with an empty adrive for a teaser...
Last edited by elroy on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 11:02, edited 10 times in total.

jakfish

HowTo for Touchscreen Setup in Saluki

#3572 Post by jakfish »

Setting up a touchscreen in Saluki focuses on two things: finding your device's proper touchscreen module and careful editing of the xorg.conf

The most helpful document is tempestuous':

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=295651

In this tutorial, I'm setting up the touchscreen of a Lenovo S10-3t netvertible with a 10.1" touchscreen. While much of the setup is generic, your choice for touchscreen modules and certain numerical values for xorg.conf will be specific to your device.

First, find the right touchscreen module in /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/ In this directory, there are two subdirectories to search: /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/input/touchscreen and /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/hid

Touchscreen users will have to google their current machine to identify the applicable module.

My device needs the hid-multitouch module in /lib/modules/3.2.8-ski/kernel/drivers/hid

So in console:

modprobe hid-multitouch
modprobe evdev

At this point, the touchscreen should work, but its lack of calibration will make it unusable.

Go to etc/rc.d/rc.local and paste those commands:

modprobe hid-multitouch (or module for your specific touchscreen)
modprobe evdev

[In earlier kernels, evtouch was the given driver. In Saluki, evdev replaces evtouch]

Save the rc.local file.

Now to the xorg.conf file. Before we edit, we need another piece of information: the event number of our device.

In console:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Scroll through the output and look for a reading of your touchscreen and its corresponding number. In the section for your touchscreen, look for something such as "Handlers=mouse1 event11" In this case, your event number, like mine, is 11.

Now edit the xorg.conf in several places:

1) Section "ServerLayout" --place this command at the section's end:

InputDevice "touchscreen" "SendCoreEvents"

2) Section "InputDevice" --this section contains several entries; after the Section InputDevice for Synaptics mouse, place this (then insert your own event number in Option "Device" "/dev/input/event*":

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "touchscreen"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event11"
Option "DeviceName" "touchscreen"
Option "MinX" "80"
Option "MinY" "80"
Option "MaxX" "4095"
Option "MaxY" "4095"
Option "ReportingMode" "Raw"
#Option "MaxTapTime" "220"
#Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
#Option "moving_action" "down"
#Option "moving_button" "1"
#Option "maybetapped_action" "click"
#Option "maybetapped_button" "3"
#Option "longtouched_action" "click"
#Option "longtouched_button" "3"
#Option "touched_action" "click"
#Option "touched_button" "1"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "On"
EndSection

Save and reboot. Important: if applicable, disconnect your usb mouse--its presence can affect the touchscreen on boot. Reconnecting the mouse after X is started should not be a problem. Also, the commented-out lines pertain to simulated right clicks, etc., advanced stuff that should be played with only when your touchscreen has its basics in order.

These commands are for initial calibration for my device:

Option "MinX" "80"
Option "MinY" "80"
Option "MaxX" "4095"
Option "MaxY" "4095"

For your initial calibration, you'll have to google other flavors of linux that have successfully set up your devices' touchscreen and get the figures. For instance, I got mine from the meego forums. These numbers are important because the pointer needs to be vaguely calibrated before you can do fine calibation with this pet from the saluki repo:

xinput-calibrator-0.7.5-i486

Addendum:

1) There is no multi-touch screen capability yet. Utouch, and probably Ginn, need to be compiled into saluki's kernel

2) If you suddenly lose calibration, repeat the command cat /proc/bus/input/devices and recheck your event numbers. Occasionally, Puppy will choose a new event number for the touchscreen and you'll have to edit the xorg.conf accordingly

Jake

the last saviour

#3573 Post by the last saviour »

Whenever I open this GIF file in the image viewer of Saluki there'll be some error.
I had opened this GIF file in many OS and never find any problem.
I had viewed many images in Saluki and never find any error.
Is this a bug or something else?
Can anyone give me an explanation?
Attachments
us-foreign.gif
(51.08 KiB) Downloaded 2932 times
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

Geoffrey

#3574 Post by Geoffrey »

the last saviour,

That's strange, it seems to be a problem with Ristretto, I compiled the latest version and it still does it.

you can try the new version and see if it works for you.
Attachments
ristretto-0.6.3.pet
(95.14 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
ristretto_NLS-0.6.3.pet
(123.96 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

rg66

Saluki ACPI

#3575 Post by rg66 »

Hi, I'm using Saluki 023 and I want to use it without a save file. When using my desktop, ACPI defaults to power save mode. Does anyone know what file to edit to change it to default to performance or turbo? Then I can just edit the sfs and don't have to keep changing modes at every boot. TIA

elroy

#3576 Post by elroy »

Hi r866,

Check this link out. It deals with precisely that subject
CPU scaling mod - Load previously used power mode at startup

cheers

rg66

#3577 Post by rg66 »

elroy wrote:Hi r866,

Check this link out. It deals with precisely that subject
CPU scaling mod - Load previously used power mode at startup

cheers
Thanks elroy, just what I am looking for. Will this work without a save file?

darkcity

#3578 Post by darkcity »

hi Elroy

great news that you are continuing Saluki in the form of Carolina. Are there any plans to use a bug/feature tracker? This is something I think would move Puppy forward and help retain improvements from release to release?

BTW I've added your 'corner' to the PuppySite list-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppySites

:twisted:

elroy

#3579 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Will this work without a save file?
No, the link I provided will not. However, it can be done by using the custom-builder and creating a new adrive.
During the process of creating a new adrive, you will presented with a thunar view of the directory layout of the new adrive. It will tell you that you can now make manual changes.
If you go to /root/Startup and edit the 9acpid file, you can accomplish it by doing the following:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f /root/.acpid_on ] ; then 
	acpid
	which acpitool
	if [[ $? != 0 ]] ;then
		exit 
	fi

acpitool -a |grep off-line
	if [[ $? == 0 ]] ; then
	       /etc/acpi/powersave.sh
	else
		/etc/acpi/turbo.sh
	fi
	exec ppower
fi
[/b]

In this way, if using a laptop and you boot while using battery power, it'll use powersave by default. In any other case, it'll use turbo at all times.
Once you finish building the new adrive and create a new ISO, you can create a frugal or a live CD/DVD with it, and as long as you boot with AC power, the default power setting mode will always be turbo.

elroy

#3580 Post by elroy »

Hi darkcity,
great news that you are continuing Saluki in the form of Carolina. Are there any plans to use a bug/feature tracker? This is something I think would move Puppy forward and help retain improvements from release to release?

BTW I've added your 'corner' to the PuppySite list
I mentioned this to Geoffrey this morning, that we should start some kind of bug-tracking list. I think that would be a great idea. Hopefully we can implement something on that front.
Thanks for the 'air time' concerning my 'corner' :oops: There's not a whole lot there at present, but hopefully that'll change down the road.