Trouble with Grub, and 203CE. (update)

Using applications, configuring, problems
can8v

Trouble with Grub, and 203CE. (update)

#1 Post by can8v »

I have downloaded the 203CE iso and extracted the files to hda1, and modified my Grub menu.lst file to accomadate a boot. Please see the code below. Puppy 201 still boots fine on hda1, but 203 CE boots regardless if I select 202 frugal on hda2 or 203CE on hda1 (203CE and 201 are both on hda1, but in two separate boot directories see below). The end result is that I can't boot 202, which I spent much time customizing and making my own. I need it back. I have check all of my files and my menu.lst file several times and everything seems to be in order, but I am sure that I am not seeing the forest for the trees. Could someone please give me a hand with this one.
-Jason

Code: Select all

# Start GRUB global section

# Boot automatically after 5 secs.
timeout 5

# By default, boot the second entry.
default 1

# Fallback to the first entry.
fallback 0

color light-gray/blue black/light-gray

# End GRUB global section

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Puppy Linux 201 full (on /dev/hda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

title Puppy Linux 202 Frugal (on /dev/hda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
  initrd /boot/initrd.gz

title Puppy Linux 203CE Frugal (on /dev/hda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot203/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
  initrd /boot203/initrd.gz

title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
root (hd0,0)
setup (fd0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title -     For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title -     For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)
(***Update***)
I have done some more poking around on this and I decided to change the name of the 203CE files from pup_202.sfs to pup202.bak and pup_save.3fs to pupsave.bak. Behold 202 can now boot again. This tells me that the problem has nothing to do with the menu.lst file. My question is why does Puppy install from a sfs file on a different partition. I had assumed incorrectly that if vmlinuz was at /dev/hda2/boot then it would boot the pup_202.sfs file at /dev/hda2 rather than the one at /dev/hda1. Since I am sure that I am not the first person to use Grub to boot multiple frugal installs could someone tell me the trick to keeping vmlinuz from initializing the wrong sfs file?
thanks,
-Jason

raffy

One name

#2 Post by raffy »

Have only one name (like pup_203.sfs) in your system, as Puppy searches drives and partitions for it, and if you have more than one, you won't know what it picks up and treats as default partition.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

can8v

Re: One name

#3 Post by can8v »

raffy wrote:Have only one name (like pup_203.sfs) in your system, as Puppy searches drives and partitions for it, and if you have more than one, you won't know what it picks up and treats as default partition.
I am confused; is it possible to have more than one frugal install.
Does Puppy search for the pup_save.3fs file in the same way?
I am not sure what you mean by "Have only one name (like pup_203.sfs)...".
Does that mean that I can have a pup_202.sfs and a pup_203.sfs, or only one sfs file period?
I will try a few combinations here to see if I can figure this out, but if you could spell it out a little more that would be wonderful.
-Jason
P.S. Sorry to come off like such a newb on this one. I am embarrassed to post such a trivial thing in the regulars forum. :oops: