Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 17:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Akita Linux, Beta 16 ISO
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 47 of 70 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2012, 02:10    Post_subject: Re: Stable browser?  

technosaurus wrote:
p.s. I still use flash9.0.289+version mod

Do you have any tips about what the version mod is? Do you mean it reports as a newer version? And do you think it can be tried with any browser / any puppy or is it an Akita specific version? thx
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2012, 05:12    Post_subject: Re: Stable browser?  

greengeek wrote:
technosaurus wrote:
p.s. I still use flash9.0.289+version mod

Do you have any tips about what the version mod is? Do you mean it reports as a newer version? And do you think it can be tried with any browser / any puppy or is it an Akita specific version? thx

The script /usr/sbin/get-flash did do it for you.... But now it downloads a pre-patched flash9 pet : http://akita.scottjarvis.com/flashplayer9_pretend10-20110327.pet

This code makes report itself as flash10.1:

Code:
VER=`strings libflashplayer.so | grep -e "^Shockwave Flash [.\d+]*" | sed -e "s/Shockwave Flash //g"`
cat libflashplayer.so |sed -e "s/$VER/10.1 r99/g" >$PLUGINDIR/libflashplayer.so

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep 2012, 07:26    Post_subject:  

I found Firedog 3.6 + Flash 9 + the pretend upgrade makes web browsing smooth for the most part. For html5 I found I needed "Google Chrome Frame". I also installed proper nvidia card drivers.

Akita Beta 11 works great.

(Akita Beta 11 was tested on a Dell Optiplex GX1 with a 450mhz PIII and 128MB RAM)

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2012, 15:57    Post_subject:  

sc0ttman, I appear to have found a bug... or the laptop in question has quirky hardware in more places than I previously knew.

On my Dell CPi laptop (300MHz PII + 128 RAM + 384 swap) a full install works (Puplite5 did not), as does the NeoMagic gfx driver (first time this has happened -- kudos!)...

But sound does not.

ALSAWizard finds a card (3 letters then 4 digit number) which I suspect is really an ISA card, but it coughs up a lung trying to make it work. I can post more info if you need it, by way of screenshots.

Could you take a look at alsaconf and see if anything might be potentially screwing up in there?

Of note, this laptop does have a lot of hardware-based quirks. The aforementioned graphics card (pre-ATi/nVIDIA domination, apparently) is one, and the fact that the HDD is almost universally recognized as, of all things, a floppy disk is another. (The fact that previously I could only make graphics work with the generic Xorg driver --NeoMagic driver didn't work-- is yet another quirk.) So this audio thing may be a "new" quirk that I didn't know about before.

Keef

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2012, 16:32    Post_subject:  

starhawk
Try reading this - especially post 11:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/crystal-4237b-sound-setup-how-405490/
Looks like a bit of trial & error may be needed.
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2012, 16:49    Post_subject:  

That's actually rather helpful... okay, well, almost.

I've no idea how the dickens to go about finding what values I need. The card I have is different, I think -- IIRC it's a cms##42. Gotta double-check that, tho.

If someone could instruct a bonehead like me on how to get the values I need, I can do the modprobe bit to make everything (hopefully) work. I can see how to construct the statement, I just don't know what to put in to "fill in the blanks" so to speak.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2012, 17:00    Post_subject:  

starhawk wrote:
On my Dell CPi laptop (300MHz PII + 128 RAM + 384 swap) a full install works

Which method did you use to make the full install? I would really like to know which way worked for you...

Quote:
But sound does not.

ALSAWizard finds a card (3 letters then 4 digit number) which I suspect is really an ISA card

For audio, see these links:

- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46290
- http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45234
- http://alsa.opensrc.org/Dell_CPi_Laptop?title=Special:Log&page=Dell+CPi+Laptop
- http://home.nedlinux.nl/~bart/?page=11

It doesn't look easy!

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2012, 17:53    Post_subject:  

I wiped out the previous install of Puplite5 using Gparted, then laid down a ~3.5gb ext3 partition and a 384mb linux-swap partition. Note that my "hard drive" in this case is a very fast CF card of 4gb size. Not much space to play with! (But that's OK.)

Then I ran the Puppy Universal Installer and told it to do a full install to an IDE or SATA hard drive.

The great thing about CF cards in IDE adapters is that Puppy can't tell on its own that the drive in question is a "poor man's SSD" -- Puppy relies on the user to tell the truth. By selecting "IDE/SATA Hard Drive" one can take advantage of this and do a full install on what is essentially a flash drive. The catch, of course, is that you can ONLY do this with a CF card, and ONLY with a CF->IDE adapter in between the card and the computer -- if it's not natively IDE, then the process errors out with "no devices found".

...BTW the same works for microdrives, which are really nifty in their own way. They're CF-sized hard drives, usually with a CF connector (although you can get ones with a ZIF connector that are even weirder).

Er... it's probably good to go into menu.lst after the fact and add the line pmedia=ataflash... but I didn't and it works anyways.

So that's how I did that.

As for sound, the third link (ALSAwiki) looks most promising. I will try that first, and we'll see how things go.

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 17 Sep 2012, 20:06    Post_subject:  

Well, the 3rd link was useless. Puppy doesn't even HAVE an /etc/modprobe.d directory. At least, Akita doesn't.

So that won't work.

The method in the 2nd to last post in the 2nd link ALMOST works. ALSAMixer errors out, but if you pull up a terminal and type alsamixer -c 0 then THAT will work.

I think I need to create an alias somewhere, but I don't know how or what Sad If someone can tell me how to make it known to the filesystem that there's a soundcard there, that would be nice.

...BTW, "Shutdown PC" and "Reboot PC" both reboot the system. Probably a pre-ACPI BIOS quirk. I can live with it, though.

Tman

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 14:46    Post_subject:  

Hi Scottman,

I decided to test out Akita 11 to see what new things you added...
On first boot Xorgwizard detected Vesa for my video, which I had to manually change to nv... no big deal for me.

I rather like Akita, but one thing about it that bothers me is that there are so many levels in the Menu.
It would be easier to navigate if there were less sub-menus to click through. Also, you've got a lot of pets that do similiar things .. eg. a lot of timers in the Personal Section. I would rather you keep the best 1 or 2 apps ... but that is just my preference. It's your pup, so do what you think is best.

To my surprise, I stumbled across Pupizzard package builder. Was this Iguleder's program, or did you modify it? I have modified one of Iguleder's builder package, which I got from Pemasu's Exprimo thread,
and it works great from the terminal ... I just have to do a few more tweaks to it, and then I want to make a font-end gui for it. I was wondering if you are interested in testing it, and maybe helping me with the gui? I attempted to make a simple front-end, but it seems that I am stuck...my frontend calls the terminal, so that you can see it compiling (good for troubleshooting as well), but the terminal dissappears partway through. Sad
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 16:56    Post_subject:  

Tman wrote:
It would be easier to navigate if there were less sub-menus to click through. Also, you've got a lot of pets that do similiar things .. eg. a lot of timers in the Personal Section. I would rather you keep the best 1 or 2 apps ... but that is just my preference. It's your pup, so do what you think is best.
it is configurable to standard puppy style in $HOME/.jwm/JWMRC depending on what mods Scot has made to my jwm_tools. Or you can tweak jwm_menu_create directly. It makes sense that you would want less menus since you also want less programs. The extra submenus are convenient with a lot of programs.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 17:10    Post_subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
Tman wrote:
It would be easier to navigate if there were less sub-menus to click through. Also, you've got a lot of pets that do similiar things .. eg. a lot of timers in the Personal Section.
it is configurable to standard puppy style in $HOME/.jwm/JWMRC depending on what mods Scot has made to my jwm_tools.

Funnily enough, I removed a load of stuff from Akita recently, the next one will be about 2mb smaller, I think...
I also moved some .desktop files out of /usr/share/applications...
Menu is less cluttered, fewer apps pre-installed..

And I also upgraded my JWM setup a bit, to make JWM drive icons optional,
so I also made an easy toggle JWM submenus, through a menu entry.

(I made the JWM drive icons optional, using Toggle-Rox-Desktop)

Screenshot, 'Toggle JWM Submenus' menu entry, and 'Toggle ROX Desktop' dialog:

Tman, note that Puppizard already has a YAD GUI...
See the 'Puppizard' menu entry in screenshot above...

Edited_times_total
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 17:13    Post_subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Well, the 3rd link was useless. Puppy doesn't even HAVE an /etc/modprobe.d directory.

I think /etc/modprobe.conf is the equivalent in older kernels/pups...
Newer pups do have /etc/modprobe.d/ ..
...But someone else correct me if I am wrong.

starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 19:39    Post_subject:  

starhawk wrote:
The method in the 2nd to last post in the 2nd link ALMOST works. ALSAMixer errors out, but if you pull up a terminal and type alsamixer -c 0 then THAT will work.

I think I need to create an alias somewhere, but I don't know how or what Sad If someone can tell me how to make it known to the filesystem that there's a soundcard there, that would be nice.

An answer to this would be extraordinarily helpful Wink

Tman

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep 2012, 21:05    Post_subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:

Tman, note that Puppizard already has a YAD GUI...
See the 'Puppizard' menu entry in screenshot above...

Yes, I was aware of Puppizard, but unfortunately, I didn't try it out until today ... I mean the one in Akita. Pemasu uploaded a different, but similiar set of tools -> here.
I was going to write all of my own build-scripts, but Iguleder's system is more efficient, so I have decided to modify his system instead. I will look at the YAD scripts and see if I can use some of the code as the frontend for my modified version.

Starhawk, I am not sure if this will work, but it won't take long to try:
Multiple_Soundcard_Wizard.pet

Try running the Multiple_Souncard_Wizard, then run alsaconf, then lastly: alsamixer.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 47 of 70 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum