Installing Kodak DC 3200 camera

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
sandlynx

Installing Kodak DC 3200 camera

#1 Post by sandlynx »

I need a digital camera so I checked the list of cameras that gtkam camera manager has listed and bought one of those, assuming it would work. I have a DC 3200 Kodak camera and when I try to install the software in gtkam, I get the message that the camera is not detected. I first hooked up the serial port connection and tried all the serial ports listed. The camera was not detected on any of those ports. (ttySO is the modem port in use.) So, I tried using a USB to serial converter and had the same results. How do I get this camera detected? I have never set up a camera on a computer before so I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated since I really need this camera working.
I am using Lucid Puppy 5.0.1.

Fossil

#2 Post by Fossil »

A USB Compact Flash card reader might prove to be the simplest option.

sandlynx

Flash card suggestion

#3 Post by sandlynx »

Fossil, You said, "A USB Compact Flash card reader might prove to be the simplest option."
This camera has an internal flash card and can also use a separate CF card slot.
Why would the Lucd Puppy software for the Kodak DC 3200 read the seaparate CF flash card and not detect the camera? Can I be sure that the CF card will be read? (I did have the foresight to get a flash card reader, but not the separate CF card yet.) Just wondering.

ravensrest

#4 Post by ravensrest »

I had the same problem with my Kodak CD33. I subsequently wrote a small script to retrieve my photos.
See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 10&t=28216
The easiest way to run it is to place it in a directory of your choice, make it executable by yourself, and double click its name.
BS

sandlynx

USB flash card

#5 Post by sandlynx »

Sorry if this comes out as a double post:
Why would Lucid Puppy, gtkam read the flash card and not the camera connected direct? Or, Do I use the same software or something else to read the flash card reader? If Lucid doesn't detect the camera itself, why would it detect the flash card reader? Yeah, dumb question. I really need to get pictures posted for ebay sales. Any help getting this working would be appreciated.

Fossil

#6 Post by Fossil »

Most digital cameras have a small internal memory. This is usually sufficient for just a few shots. To access it requires attaching the camera to the computer via a lead of some sort, then getting the computer to acknowledge the device. In a perfect world it works first time - in the real one it can prove problematical.

Using either a compact flash (CF), secure digital (SD) or Fuji xD card in a USB multireader has always proved the simplest option. The memory card is seen on the desktop as an external device and, once mounted, the images, etc, can be copied via dragging-and-dropping directly into a folder on the hard drive or even into another USB memory stick. This approach also permits a large number of images to be taken and later copied without hindrance.

I've continued to use this method employing all the cards mentioned above. Last week, while in Bristol (UK), just for fun, I took over 200 pictures of the 2012 graffiti street art project. As an aside: Anyone interested in that style can seek out many similar images on the social networks.

sandlynx

Using CF card reader

#7 Post by sandlynx »

Fossil,
Thanks for the info on the card reader. On my way to buy a couple CF cards now. Gotta get this camera working!

sandlynx

Card reader not showing on desktop

#8 Post by sandlynx »

Fossil wrote:Most digital cameras have a small internal memory. This is usually sufficient for just a few shots. To access it requires attaching the camera to the computer via a lead of some sort, then getting the computer to acknowledge the device. In a perfect world it works first time - in the real one it can prove problematical.

Using either a compact flash (CF), secure digital (SD) or Fuji xD card in a USB multireader has always proved the simplest option. The memory card is seen on the desktop as an external device and, once mounted, the images, etc, can be copied via dragging-and-dropping directly into a folder on the hard drive or even into another USB memory stick. This approach also permits a large number of images to be taken and later copied without hindrance.

I've continued to use this method employing all the cards mentioned above. Last week, while in Bristol (UK), just for fun, I took over 200 pictures of the 2012 graffiti street art project. As an aside: Anyone interested in that style can seek out many similar images on the social networks.
Reply:
Fossil,
I now have two CF cards, both of which take photos. But, when I plugged in the USB card reader with CF card in, it did not show up on the desktop. There are 4 photos on this card so far, so it should show on the desktop, right? How do I get this to show on the desktop? If it doesn't show on the desktop, I can't mount it. What the heck do I do now? :?:
I simply want to post some photos on ebay. Why is this turning into such a problem?