Ms Win are at it again. Security vulnerability. Nasty one!

For discussions about security.
nooby

Ms Win are at it again. Security vulnerability. Nasty one!

#1 Post by nooby »

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 39437.html
Microsoft admits millions of computers could be infected with malware before they're even out of the box
I've not read the whole text but that is a nasty thing. I mean
you do have to be a geek/nerd to know how to deal with such?

Do they tell how to get rid of it? One would need DVDs
that is warranted to be free of malware and to start all over
wiping the HD clean and make a fresh install can take a day?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Barkin

#2 Post by Barkin »

nooby wrote:I've not read the whole text but that is a nasty thing.
The gist of the story is to deter people from buying (cheap) pirated versions of windows ...
The software is loaded with counterfeit copies of Microsoft Windows, the company said.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/microsoft-admits-millions-of-computers-could-be-infected-with-malware-before-theyre-even-out-of-the-box-8139437.html

splot

#3 Post by splot »

I can't help commenting here.

It seems obvious to me that if it has Windows on it, then of course it has malware on it.

Windows=Malware, no?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

splot wrote:Windows=Malware, no?
These days, it would be more appropriate to say "Flash=Malware" or "Java=Malware" or "Adobe Reader=Malware".

I just updated Firefox on a Windows machine. As part of the install, Firefox provided a list of OTHER apps that it recommended you update for security reasons.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Now the embarrassing thing is that I have not read the text.
Have any of you really read it? As I get it it has more to do
with criminals being able to place their nasty code in places
that gets used by those that work on the testing of the computers?
or to contaminate the OEM DVDs that gets packed or the transfer
of the OEM software to the computer before shipping.

I feel very unsure of if it is as you guys paint the picture here.
But I only wild guess. Am I really wrong? If I am way off base
then I will tell Flash to delete the thread. I trusted that Independent UK
know what they write.

kooliepup

#6 Post by kooliepup »

A thought has just occurred to me.

If you were a huge corporation, like say Microsoft, that had just posted its first huge loss ever, what would you do?
Would you just say 'Oh well, we had a good run, and got away with it for so long, we'll just have to accept that customers have woken up to us'.
Or would you do something that was consistent with your nature, and proven track record, and put out some more FUD, for example?

If the consumer could be made to think that they had some evil 'counterfeit' system on their machine, they would go and buy a copy of the 'genuine' one, which would somehow be better.

Problem solved.
Profits restored.
How easy is that?

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Compare with what BBC writes

Viruses 'installed in PC factory'

Cybercriminals are exploiting insecure supply chains to infect computers before they leave the factory, says Microsoft.

The viruses were discovered when Microsoft digital crime investigators bought 20 PCs, 10 desktops and 10 laptops from different cities in China.

Four of the computers were infected with malicious programs even though they were fresh from the factory.

Microsoft set up and ran Operation b70 to investigate and found that the four viruses were included in counterfeit software some Chinese PC makers were installing on computers.
/quote

I don't know if these ever reach Europe but why would BBC lie about it?

BBC try their best to be as accurate as possible. Are you implying
that Ms in some way payed the BBC to publish this?

Barkin

#8 Post by Barkin »

nooby wrote:... I don't know if these ever reach Europe but why would BBC lie about it?
The story seems plausible: somewhere in the illegal supply chain malware has been deliberately or accidentally been added to pirated copies of Windows sold in China.

So the story is not necessarily lies, but the purpose of Micro$oft publicising it's investigation into counterfeit software is to increase sales of genuine Micro$oft products: essentially a scare story.

8-bit

#9 Post by 8-bit »

If you read the quote, it says MS bought 10 PCs.
Those would have had MS installed already.
So in fact, they would have been shipped for sale to the PC buyer with viruses and malware preinstalled on the new computers.

Aren't we glad we run Puppy linux!!

splot

#10 Post by splot »

The article was based on what Microsoft said.

Microsoft has a track record of credibility in its statements?

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Would not BBC love to expose such Ms lies then?
Reporters love to make scoops so?

Bruce B

#12 Post by Bruce B »

According to Microsoft
  • the move to FOSS is risky and bound to make Government systems more vulnerable to hackers

Government lacks competent expertise to handle the challenges that comes with the free and Open Source Software

FOSS means less accountability, the Sate might find it hard to hold anyone accountable should its systems be hacked. (Bruce wonders: Has Microsoft ever been easy to hold accountable, wonder of wonders)

FOSS is not copyrighted, so says MS. Just like other players in the copyrighted software, MS is accountable when their software is hacked, the case is different with the non-copyrighted software,

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

nooby wrote:Cybercriminals are exploiting insecure supply chains to infect computers before they leave the factory, says Microsoft.
In order to beat the financial crisis I expect that corporates will try to "lock down" supply so that the end consumer has less choice. How long before only "Microsoft Approved" or "Apple Approved" PCs are legal in the USA I wonder?? (at least in schools etc)

It's not just cybercriminals that infect PCs. It is government agencies too. (Read about Stuxnet as an example).

It is sad that anyone would buy any MS powered computer and think it might be clean. No computer is ever free from risk (even if running Linux)
rcrsn51 wrote:These days, it would be more appropriate to say "Flash=Malware" or "Java=Malware" or "Adobe Reader=Malware".
Yes, I am particularly fearful of how pervasive Java is becoming. Even in word processing software. The risks are everywhere now, and I really don't think trusting an antivirus programme covers all bases. The threats are everywhere.

Bruce B

#14 Post by Bruce B »

Queen Elizabeth II, herself, bestowed Knighthood, one of the highest honours an individual in the United Kingdom can achieve, on Sir William Henry Gates III.

If anyone didn't know, William Henry Gates III, is an English Knight, now you do. Fortunately, we don't have to address him as Sir.

If any of you are peasants, working the lands of William Henry Gates III's King, and you are attacked by Knights of a competing Kingdom, I wouldn't bank on finding him on a White Horse coming to your rescue.

I would however, bank on him not coming to your rescue.

~

Considering how much the Queen has been angered recently, I'd be careful about how I spoke of any of Her's.

Also, if you catch William Henry Gates III with his top off, don't take a picture of him, for goodness sakes.

~