Intel Driver Q1 - 2010

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Q5sys

Intel Driver Q1 - 2010

#1 Post by Q5sys »

I made this for the latest version of LightHousePup, and decided to put it here in case people were looking for it.

Clutter-1.2.8 & Cairo-1.9.6 & xf86-video-intel-2.11.0

Its the 2D Q1 driver package for Intel graphics. This does NOT include the latest MESA 3D package. (mesa 7.8.1)
I also did not include libdrm-2.4.20 because it was already in LightHousePup, so if your release does not have it... you will need to install that as well.

This was made for Kernel 2.6.33.2. LightHousePup has a KMS work around that may or may not work in other puplets.

I have run into no issues as of yet with this on my system (been running a week now) if you do... please let me know and i'll see if I can figure out a work around or how to fix it.

charlie6

black X desktop on 82845G Brookdale VGA controler workaround

#2 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Q5sys,
many thanks for your work !
this 2.11.0 driver might also be a «black X desktop on 82845G Brookdale VGA controller workaround»;
problem description:
- this is typical to computers having a urrently working 82845G Brookdale VGA controller (i.e. no extra graphic device in it as Nvidia or else);
using some puppies , X desktop goes black (or blank ?) already after bootup upon X server restart;
why doing X server restart? X server restart is mandatory after country, time and locale settings( whatever from live-CD or from already hdd); as also after install of a package (.pet or .deb or .rpm or else).
- In such situation, Ctrl-Alt-backspace followed by typing "xwin" command, when in command line mode, does not help. One workaround is to end the current session by typing "reboot" or "poweroff"; which calls the typical personal savefile create process; when prompted, type in the savefile name and size, etc... Rebooting on that "whitout-visibility-created-savefile", brings X desktop displated again.
And things goes well as long as X server is not restarted. If X server is restarted then X desktop stays black in the worst case whatever attempts to recover it.

relevant puppies:
this «black X desktop» has been encountered on Slackos (5.3.1 and earlier; not tested on later ones) - install of mesa-7.10.2-s.pet + xf86-video-intel-2.15.0-i486-1.txz (which includes libdrm) seems to fix the problem. And also the same «black X desktop» on all Dpup-Exprimo 's version. This list is not exhaustive.

results:
no more issue here since about 2 weeks regular use of Dpup-Exprimo (i.e. 5X15 and 5X3.4.2.9 and later whose puppies iso comes with 2.13.0 intel driver version, and libdrm.2.4.0 installed ): the 2.11.0 intel_drv.so used version has been extracted from the clutter-1.2.8_cairo-1.9.6_xf86-video-intel-2.11.0.tar.gz archive and has replaced the original one.
Here is a pet i made from it only for dpup-exprimo. Might also work for other puppies (given without warranty...not tested).
Now restarting X server works OK repeatidly.

last edited: the following Barry's post gaves me the idea to roll back to 2.11.0 driver: (thanks Barry ! :wink: )
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01506
Last edited by charlie6 on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.

JackWagon

Re: black X desktop on 82845G Brookdale VGA controler workaround

#3 Post by JackWagon »

charlie6 wrote:Hi Q5sys,
many thanks for your work !
this 2.11.0 driver might also be a «black X desktop on 82845G Brookdale VGA controller workaround»;
problem description:
- this is typical to computers having a 82845G Brookdale VGA controller;
using some puppies , X desktop goes black (or blank ?) already after bootup upon X server restart;
why doing X server restart? X server restart is mandatory after country, time and locale settings( whatever from live-CD or from already hdd); as also after install of a package (.pet or .deb or .rpm or else).
- In such situation, Ctrl-Alt-backspace followed by typing "xwin" command, when in command line mode, does not help. One workaround is to end the current session by typing "reboot" or "poweroff"; which calls the typical personal savefile create process; when prompted, type in the savefile name and size, etc... Rebooting on that "whitout-visibility-created-savefile", brings X desktop displated again.
And things goes well as long as X server is not restarted. If X server is restarted then X desktop stays black in the worst case whatever attempts to recover it.

relevant puppies:
this has been encountered on Slackos (5.3.1 and earlier; not tested on later ones) - install of mesa-7.10.2-s.pet + xf86-video-intel-2.15.0-i486-1.txz (which includes libdrm) seems to fix the problem. And also on all Dpup-Exprimo 's version. This list is not exhaustive.

no more issue here since about 2 weeks regular use of Dpup-Exprimo (i.e. 5X15 and 5X3.4.2.9 and later whose puppies iso comes with 2.13.0 intel driver version, and libdrm.2.4.0 installed ): the 2.11.0 intel_drv.so used version has been extracted from the clutter-1.2.8_cairo-1.9.6_xf86-video-intel-2.11.0.tar.gz archive and has replaced the original one.
Here is a pet i made from it only for dpup-exprimo. Might also work for other puppies (given without warranty...not tested).
Now restarting X server works OK repeatidly.
Are we talking about a different issue with the same firmware/driver here- http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 967#648967.
If so, is a reboot all that is needed. I could not get it to work with the .pet.
JW

charlie6

#4 Post by charlie6 »

Hi JW,
Are we talking about a different issue with the same firmware/driver here- http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 967#648967.
If so, is a reboot all that is needed. I could not get it to work with the .pet.
JW
sorry seeing your post by today ...
The issue in your post reports about
VGA compatible controller - Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
in it.
I have no experience with that Chip.
I just experienced with hardwares (I have got 4 of them ..! ) featured with the 82845G Brookdale Intel Video Chip, and used with Xorg version higher than 7.3; and free of any extra video card installed.
Just have a look in xorg.conf to check if your Puppy session currently uses the intel driver (under Option Device scetion). Also chek what reports

Code: Select all

#lsmod
:it will tell you which video module is running (i915 or i810).

If your Puppy is Lupu525, browse across Lupu/Lucid threads and look also for i915 modeset discussions - editing /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf to "options i915 modeset=1" or "options i915 modeset=0" could help. Forum member rerwin 's i915-modeset pets could maybe help.

Sorry if I can't help you farther. That matter is outside my knowledges.
Cheers, Charlie

Barkingmad

#5 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello Q5

Do you think this would work in Lupu 528 -- I think the kernel is the same?

If so, how exactly do I install it? I would need something like "extract that file to there and this file to here" :oops:

Thanks for any help

Q5sys

#6 Post by Q5sys »

Barkingmad wrote:Hello Q5

Do you think this would work in Lupu 528 -- I think the kernel is the same?

If so, how exactly do I install it? I would need something like "extract that file to there and this file to here" :oops:

Thanks for any help
My gut reaction is no.
To be honest... I cant remember if this was for a 64bit version of lighthouse or not.
If it was... it definately wont work for you.

Lupu should have an updated intel driver available somewhere in the forum thread. Check there and if you dont see it make a post. If it's not been made... i'm sure one of those guys could make it without too much trouble.

Barkingmad

#7 Post by Barkingmad »

Thanks Q5, will probably do sometime.

Will