Wary Tiny (81mb)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
yr1945

Wary Tiny

#41 Post by yr1945 »

Tman...

Thanks for the response to my questions. My rox window now works the way I want it to... and, as you suggested, I will post my Abiword hyperlink issue on another "thread".

I'm glad that you are still around... even, if on an occasional basis. I have learned a lot about puppylinux from your various activities on this web site.

PS:
My primary OS is Saluki... but, for one reason or another, I really like playing around with Wary Tiny.

benny7440

#42 Post by benny7440 »

Have d/l wary tiny 5.1.1, from it created a folder for trying to frugally booting it up in a VAIO as I do other puppies & put all the iso files in a cfcard (128 MB) ext2 for trying to boot an HPCompaq nx9010. Well, the boot loader is working because I see the menu screen for selecting the option I want to use. The problem is that if I select 'command line only' or 'normal' the computer freezes; if I select 'pristine' the computer reboots.

I'm including the menu.lst file in the cfcard next (relevant parts only):
"title Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode\nFind and load saved sessions on hard-disk
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usb:79b713b8-a848-4855-9b1c-2d9dec57192 pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz

title -Pristine Boot Mode\nLoad to RAM, no saved sessions (pfix=ram)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usb:79b713b8-a848-4855-9b1c-2d9dec57192 pfix=ram
initrd /initrd.gz

title -Boot to command-line\nCommand-line: Type xwin to start X-windows
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usb:79b713b8-a848-4855-9b1c-2d9dec57192 fix=ram,nox acpi=off
apm=off nosmp noapic nodma nopcmcia
initrd /initrd.gz"

The HP tells me it's trying (hdo,0) & others, the VAIO identifies it as sdb1. This HP has no hdd & I'm almost sure 256 MB of RAM. Since it has no cfcard port I'm using a usb adapter for it. Two days ago I was booting PL431 installed in the cfcard but there's too little space left & need enough to put a current browser there. Tried the remastering scheme with PL431 but didn't work & I didn't understand the process enough to lower the space required for it enough.

The menu.lst in grub inside the VAIO looks like this (not yet tested):
"# 1) Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux 528-005 frugal in sda2 dir puppy528-005
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /puppy528-005/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy528-005
initrd /puppy528-005/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# 2) CorePlus partition config begins
title tinycorelinux frugal in sda2 dir tc
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /tc/boot/vmlinuz quiet showapps nozswap pause waitusb=10 tce=sda2 printk.time=1
initrd /tc/boot/core.gz
# CorePlus bootable partition config ends
# 3) Linux bootable partition config begins
title Wary Tiny frugal in sda2 dir warytiny
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /warytiny/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=warytiny
initrd /warytiny/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends "

If you see a mistake or problematic issue with these entries (there's almost sure some of them) please send a signal pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

Edit: I decided to delete the usb id for the 'pristine' entry & try it again in the HP but does the same thing:
"Booting -Pristine Boot Mode
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3200, size=0x210600]"

Any ideas as to what's happening here?
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

benny7440

#43 Post by benny7440 »

Have been playing in/with wary tiny for a couple of hours now. Yes, it booted the HP. I didn't do anything. Instead of selecting as all the previous times I took my time reading slowly everything &, apparently, it took the default route...

My only issue with it is that Dillo browser. I need a browser that can play youtube videos & play my favorite radio stations. Dillo is very NON-permissive with cookies which is another thing that seems to get in the way, workable but in the way...

Nevertheless, I'm not planning to take anything from it in order to make more room for adding anything, yet, because in the repository there was not a recent FF version available. This last issue makes me ask if there's a pet file or something that could make my day?

Very nice & fast responding, until now...; lets see how it behaves when d/l a streaming video in HD or maybe SD...
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Tman

#44 Post by Tman »

benny7440 wrote: Nevertheless, I'm not planning to take anything from it in order to make more room for adding anything, yet, because in the repository there was not a recent FF version available. This last issue makes me ask if there's a pet file or something that could make my day?
benny,

Firefox pets can be found in the Additional Pets section.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=53

Also Terryphi regularily updates Opera, which is also compatible, although there may be problems with Opera and flashplayer...Firefox is my favourite browser. Although Chrome is a bit faster, I stick with Firefox becuase of the plugins.

benny7440

#45 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying, Tman!

At the link you provide I saw a page for d/l some FF pet files, including the latest release & I'm asking myself: is there one of them compatible with wary tiny?

Maybe more interesting than this question is: what are the steps for making a pet file? Is it for experts only? What tools one need to do it?

I saw, too, that there's Opera but does it handles what I need? (e.g., jre)

Edit: Tried to d/l the opera sfs file but received a message negating the permission to d/l (guess it was error #401) even though I put the suggested id & pwd (puppy & linux, respectively).

I'm using the HP & the browser is the embedded Dillo. So, can't check if it would work for me as well as it has for others. Dead end!
Last edited by benny7440 on Thu 02 Aug 2012, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
[/b]

Tman

#46 Post by Tman »

benny,

The Firefox pets that I made should be compatible with pups newer than puppy 4.3.1
That includes Wary/Racy,Dpup, Slacko, Lucid and their derivatives.

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/firefox/

benny7440

#47 Post by benny7440 »

I'm d/l now the ff pet file (ff 14) & the target location is going to be the sda1 cfcard itself for assured persistency purposes only. I have not made any pupsave file, yet.

What I'm planning to do is test that firefox (which is more advanced than my 11.0 that I'm using right now within PL528.005) &, if that version of ff convinces me I'll substitute my 11th with it in PL528 (frugal). Then, I intend to remaster somehow wary tiny for making more space & install that last ff there & make a pupsave file. Hope it works OK...

Thank you for your help with this, Tman!

Edit: Where's the md5sum data?
[/b]

darry1966

Many thanks

#48 Post by darry1966 »

Many thanks Tman for this great Pup.

Works really well on my NetVista 6339.

benny7440

#49 Post by benny7440 »

I've not remastered anything yet because I've a more important issue while booting this OS up.

I'm booting from a CFCard (128 MB) in an usb-adapter at an Compaq-HP nx9010, this laptop has no hdd. The 1st time I booted up in Pristine Mode as adviced, when finally d/l FF 14 (pet) installed & ran it I decided to make warysave file at Shutdown. It was created & it still exists within the sda1 cfcard.

The problem is that if I try to boot in Normal Mode all that I can see is:
"Booting Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3200, size=0x210680]
"

The laptop halts or freezes to the point that pressing Ctl+Alt+Del doesn't do anything, so to restart I've to press the Power button & always the Pristine Mode.

Is there any setting that I've to take care off, either at BIOS level or linux configuration to make things persistent?

PS. At the splash screen I saw that selecting Normal Mode would mean that the warysave.2fs file will be searched for at hd0,0 but I don't have a hdd. Is this a problem or a generic way of saying that the file will just be searched for at all locations (drives)?
[/b]

Tman

#50 Post by Tman »

benny,

I cannot give you a definate answer, because I haven't ever setup Puppy (or any OS) with a bootable CF card.
But I can only think of 2 possible problems:

1) Your save file might be corrupt becuase adding Firefox, along with the additional files that Firefox installs, once you run it for the first time would exceed the size of you save file, since you can only have a maximum of about 48MB, considering WaryTiny is 80MB and your CF card is 128MB.

- To find out if it is a save file problem, first delete your save file.
Next, reboot in Pristine Boot mode and create a new save file without adding any extra pets, and see if WaryTiny boots up in normal mode.

2) If the save file is not the problem, then it could be problem with the menu.lst file. A conventional entry for Normal Mode would be something like this:

Code: Select all

title Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode\nFind and load saved sessions
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /warytiny/initrd.gz
kernel /warytiny/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /warytiny/initrd.gz
If your bootup files are not inside a folder, then adjust the lines accordingly to something like:

Code: Select all

title Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode\nFind and load saved sessions
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /initrd.gz
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz
I am not sure what the best "pmedia" option for a CF card is. These are the only solutions I can think of.
If you've tried my suggestions and it still doesn't work, you can post the problem in the ""Howto" section, and other members might be able to help...good luck.

benny7440

#51 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks, Tman, for replying!

The last time I ran Wary Tiny I installed FF 14 & it created a folder (Opt) with a lot of folders & files within; I deleted all of it because there was no warysave file in the card due to lack of space. Then I shutdown & chose to put a save file at sda1.

When I booted up next time it went right through the same procedure of locale, language, screen resolution, etc.; I checked to see if there was a warysave file & there was none. I rebooted again as before & this time it went right to the desktop screen. OK!

There's a warning stating "Personal storage file getting full, strongly recommend you resize it or delete files!"

Can I create more space by remastering the iso? I was thinking of getting reed of some pre-installed packages that I deem not to be used in the near future, i. e., Batch File Renamer, Gcolor2, Convert File to PDF, Bcrypt File Encryption, Osmo Personal Organizer, FT File Sharing, Firewallstate Scanner, Secure File Downloader, Online As-Blocker, (not sure for what it is Secure ssh Telnet), not sure if I want to have a web browser that I can use to hear streaming media & see youtube's videos if I need Pmusic, if ISOMaster can burn a cd/dvd I might not need Pburn - Burner Tools; there's another tab at the Menu that shows more apps & some of those I don't need them.

The problem is that I never remastered any OS & with so little space don't know how to proceed. Almost sure it's not as easy as deleting things. After starting the Remaster prog it asked me to insert an iso cd but that cd never existed, I d/l the iso file, mounted it & extracted the necessary files to their present location (CFCard) from Puppy Linux 528.005.

Right now both, the VAIO & the HP are On & connected to the web via a dsl modem (via lan), which makes me thing if it isn't possible to share (for the moment) an unused partition in the VAIO's hdd?

Any ideas? Do you recommend me to post a 'copy' of this issue in the "Howto" section?

Thanks!
[/b]

Tman

#52 Post by Tman »

benny7440 wrote: Can I create more space by remastering the iso?
Remastering can be a tricky process, and you would need more disk space in order to remaster. Also, you wouldn't save much space if you removed the apps that you've listed above, because they are really small.

EDIT: removed erroneous statements.

For you, I recommend booting Wary Tiny from a USB stick. If your bios does not allow booting from a USB stick, try installing Plop Boot Manager onto your CF card to give you the option of booting to a USB drive.

Plop installer for Grub/Grub4Dos - Extract folder to the first partition where the mbr is located, and add a menu entry to your Grub Legacy or Grub4Dos menu.lst

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/intro.html

See also the following thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=648138

yr1945

#53 Post by yr1945 »

currently using wary tiny... when i click on the desktop i get a window about workspaces... can this feature be disabled ??

Tman

#54 Post by Tman »

yr1945, I am not sure if you can disable that feature, but you can try modifying /root/.icewm/preferences
Make sure you keep a backup copy of the original. "1" is to enable a setting, and "0" ... the number zero is used to disable a setting.

(Don't add the quotation marks, of course)

yr1945

#55 Post by yr1945 »

thanks Tman... i was able to make the desired changes...

yr1945

#56 Post by yr1945 »

Tman... just an observation relative to Wary Tiny (and, maybe, other puppies as well)... i just stumbled upon it... perhaps, you already know...

anyway, after installing firefox 15.0.1 pet... and, using the existing browser icon that comes with the desktop... by making it the default icon... all open firefox windows automatically closed when i clicked this icon to open another firefox window... when downloading a file this became frustrating because it deleted the downloading files...

however, i found that if i just deleted the "browse" icon that was automatically placed on the desktop at first start up... and replaced it by going to usr/share/applications and getting the firefox.desktop and placing it on the desktop... all open firefox windows do not close when i open a new firefox window(s)... strange ??

anyway, not sure if i made myself clear... but wanted to share this situation just in case it surfaces in your future endeavors...

PS: i tried Solid Pup Lite 2.5... it's fantastic... however, for the time being, i am staying with Wary Tiny... i guess because i do not use many apps... and, Wary Tiny is lightning fast on my laptop... i just love it...

Tman

#57 Post by Tman »

Hi yr1945,

No that is not a bug with Firefox...I just set it up that way. /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser will only display 1 instance of Firefox, while running it from the menu will allow multiple instances.

Running once instance is my preference ... I just open multiple tabs.
Also, at home, my 4 year old son and wife, who just mainly know how to use a browser and shutdown the machine ... it avoids me having to fix anything when/if Firefox crashes, and it avoids me having to close multiple windows for my son.

defaultbrowser will automatically recover from a crash if you click on it...
running Firefox from the menu will not.

yr1945

#58 Post by yr1945 »

Tman... thanks for the explanation... it sounds like a good strategy now that i understand it...

yr1945

#59 Post by yr1945 »

Tman... if you are there... could you explain to me in a few "simple" steps how to run the midori v046 browser on Wary Tiny?

I installed Jemimah's Saluki pet and then all the missing dependencies... but, Midori still will not open.

Thanks for your support.

yr1945

Midori

#60 Post by yr1945 »

Tman... if you are there... could you explain to me in a few "simple" steps how to run the midori v046 browser on Wary Tiny?

I installed Jemimah's Saluki pet and then all the missing dependencies... but, Midori still will not open.

Thanks for your support.

PS... welcome back... you were missed!

I should add that I use Wary Tiny as my main OS. It is very small...lightning fast... and very stable. I only added a couple of apps. Everything else I needed was included in your ISO. Thanks.