Mageia 2-Based Puppies - LAST BETA RELEASE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

Re: Broadcom-STA wl driver for mage2

#121 Post by peebee »

peebee wrote:Here is the Broadcom proprietary wl driver compiled for k3.3.6 and mage2.

To install you need to first load the small delta pet followed by the multi-kernel pet from this download.

A reboot is needed to activate the new driver.

The multi-kernel pet contains the logic developed by rerwin to choose the correct broadcom driver for the various types of broadcom wifi hardware.

The background to this driver can be found in this post

Cheers
peebee
An update of the delta pet needed to install the Broadcom WL wifi driver onto the new version of Mage2 with its updated kernel can be found at:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=14

Please install as described above.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

feelsub

#122 Post by feelsub »

Tested on Core5, works fine, but:

* gThumb installs but fails to launch.

* ffmpeg is old, use the latest BUILD of 0.11 (many bug fixes since 0.11.1, but no 0.11.2 release yet)

* unfortunately can't find Chrome Browser

scsijon

#123 Post by scsijon »

feelsub wrote:Tested on Core5, works fine, but:

* gThumb installs but fails to launch.

* ffmpeg is old, use the latest BUILD of 0.11 (many bug fixes since 0.11.1, but no 0.11.2 release yet)

* unfortunately can't find Chrome Browser
Thanks feelsub for your report,

With gThumb, try starting it in a Terminal Window, it may need an extra library or three not already installed and it should tell you, use the puppy 'check dependancies of installed package' to find which. Not having used it, can you give a report on it please as others may be interested?

The ffmpeg is the current one for Mageia 2, if you want/need a later one check the updates areas for a later one, however we are working on Mageia 3 at the moment which has 11.1 but the size has increased considerably between 10 and 11, you may need to compile your own if you need it specifically for mage2.

The Chrome Browser can be found under core updates as 'chromium-browser' although they are working on the Open-chrome project so that should appear soon. It's not a small package though!

regards
scsijon

feelsub

#124 Post by feelsub »

I saw for Mageia 3, so I'll wait for new build.
but the size has increased considerably between 10 and 11
Could be(nothing in comparison to a LibreOffice), V11 supports new codecs including for 1st time WMA Lossless.

scsijon

#125 Post by scsijon »

feelsub, the mage2 release will be mageia 2 compatable, not mageia 3 compatable.

Mageia 3 has a LOT of system and package location and version changes in it plus quite a few 'puppy system packages' won't be useable. It's first alpha is only appearing to the testers next month, release is next christmas or so away. From what i'm dealing with and reading, it may never become a puppy source for general use, so don't hold your breath for an alpha, as there will be quite a pet build requirement to deal with first.

I will be working on my qtpuppy after getting the mage2 release out and only return to trying to start to formulate a Mage3 packageset when mageia 3 is in beta.

UPDATE: 30Aug 2012
There will be a second Beta needed, due to some problems found to have sources from within the 3.3.6 Kernel. The new one will use 3.3.8 Kernel which has these problems fixed and be out hopefully next week. Sorry folks.

scsijon

#126 Post by scsijon »

had a 'little' corruption problem on my development partition, will have to rebuild it after moving packages and sources off so will be a few days late with the 3.3.8 kernel beta for mage2. Will try for a beta 1.9.95 next weekend.

scsijon

Mage2 1.9.95 with 3.3.8 Kernel

#127 Post by scsijon »

The beta has been uploaded for testing. See page1.

Please note that the only differance between this and the 1.1.90 is the kernel, however a number of problems that were kernel related have already disapeared and marked as fixed on my list.

Peebee's Broadcom patch has yet to be built for this kernel and he will add a link in this thread when it's done.

Mplayer is out of the build due to conflicts with the differant back ends between puppy's and Mageia's. If someone wants to take on the project of building a compatable one, feel free.

The only 'nusance' problem I have still is 'Desktop Icon Switcher' not displaying the various icons, even though they are in the /tmp directory and it does switch the sets corectly! I suspect this is a gtk/gdk problem between the mixed set necessary for Mage2 to work. I have it in my fix list for qtpuppy, but don't intend to do anything further in mage2 about it.

Unless any serious problems appear the Mage2-2.0.0 Release will be out on the 21st of September, with a fix period until the end of the month.

Then finally I shall be working on qtpuppy!

For those wondering about and considering Mage3, with the number of changes in Build Structure, File Locations, Updates, and Formats they are working on I an not sure it will happen. It certainly won't be this year I start on it anyway, if we can ever do it. It will need most of the packages in our part of the build to be recompiled at least, if not replaced.

scsijon

peebee

Re: Mage2 1.9.95 with 3.3.8 Kernel

#128 Post by peebee »

scsijon wrote:Peebee's Broadcom patch has yet to be built for this kernel and he will add a link in this thread when it's done.
The delta pet for Mage2 1.9.95 with k3.3.8 has now been built and is available from:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=14

This is a delta pet which allows the multi-kernel pet in the same thread at post #1 to work on many different kernels.

I've tested it on my relatively well-behaved Broadcom wifi using wpa2 encryption on my HP550 laptop and all seems OK.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Colonel Panic

#129 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi, I've just downloaded Mage 1.95 and am posting from it now. Unfortunately it isn't going well.

Three times Abiword's crashed on me now, once when pasting a URL into a document there, once when spell checking and once when trying to save a document. Sorry, but I rate it as unusable on my machine as things stand.

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

scsijon

#130 Post by scsijon »

Colonel Panic wrote:Hi, I've just downloaded Mage 1.95 and am posting from it now. Unfortunately it isn't going well.

Three times Abiword's crashed on me now, once when pasting a URL into a document there, once when spell checking and once when trying to save a document. Sorry, but I rate it as unusable on my machine as things stand.

CP .
hi CP, can you attach the /tmp/xerrs.log for your system from after youve had a crash please, it may give me an idea of the cause as your the only one with this problem so far.

Thanks
scsijon

James C

#131 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of Mage2 1.9.95 on my Athlon XP box....... sound and internet working and correct on initial boot. Booted to an incorrect resolution but no problem using Xorgwizard to get the correct 1440x900.

# report-video
mage2, version 1.9.95 on Tue 11 Sep 2012

Chip description:

oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.11.4
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

James C

#132 Post by James C »

Tried to compose and save a file in Abiword...... crashed immediately here too.

Relevant section of xerrs.log......

Code: Select all

(abiword:4894): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure

(abiword:4894): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! gdk-pixbuf loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure.

** (abiword:4894): WARNING **: Unable to load AbiWord icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/abiword_48.png': reason not known, probably a corrupt image file

(abiword:4894): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system

Was able to copy a url into Abiword but crashed when trying to save.......launched from terminal so terminal output this time.....

(abiword:17514): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! gdk-pixbuf loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure.

** (abiword:17514): WARNING **: Unable to load AbiWord icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/abiword_48.png': reason not known, probably a corrupt image file

(abiword:17514): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_request_targets: assertion `callback != NULL' failed

(abiword:17514): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_request_targets: assertion `callback != NULL' failed

(abiword:17514): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
#
HTH.

James C

#133 Post by James C »

Real minor thing but missing the "filesystem" icon in the menu........
Attachments
missing icon.png
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 651 times

James C

#134 Post by James C »

PupRadio doesn't launch.....

# pupradio
/usr/local/pupradio/pupradio: line 105: /root/.pupradio/config: No such file or directory
#

Simple fix...... just copied the missing config file from another Puppy to /root/.pupradio/config. No MPlayer but PupRadio launches. :)

James C

#135 Post by James C »

Installed Gnome Mplayer 1.0.6 from the Mageia repo plus the dependencies....... also needed to install libneon0.27-0.29.6-1.mga2.i586.

Now I get this familiar looking error message....

# gnome-mplayer

(gnome-mplayer:15130): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: No GSettings schemas are installed on the system
Trace/breakpoint trap
#
After midnight, time for a break......

Colonel Panic

#136 Post by Colonel Panic »

scsijon wrote:hi CP, can you attach the /tmp/xerrs.log for your system from after youve had a crash please, it may give me an idea of the cause as your the only one with this problem so far.

Thanks
scsijon
Sure, the next time I use it I will (I'm in Puppy 4.32 v3 at the moment). I suspect it's an Abiword problem rather than an exclusively Mage problem though.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Fri 18 Jan 2013, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

scsijon

gtk problems with change of kernel

#137 Post by scsijon »

Folks, I am halting all testing for about one week while I rebuild a few packages that need updating for the new kernel, gtk problems are ocurring! This was not expected.

I shall report when it's fixed and will bring out a new Mage2 Alpha, numbered as 1.9.88

regards
scsijon

Colonel Panic

#138 Post by Colonel Panic »

OK, fair enough but here's the xerrs.log file anyway;

X.Org X Server 1.11.4
Release Date: 2012-01-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux_2.6.38.8-server-10.mga Mageia
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc4828 3.3.8-mage2-p64gsw-i586 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Sep 1 16:47:42 GMT-8 2012 i686
Kernel command line: video=800x600
Build Date: 02 March 2012 06:41:02PM

Current version of pixman: 0.24.4
Before reporting problems, check http://bugs.mageia.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Sep 16 14:25:00 2012
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
FATAL: Module fbcon not found.
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
cat: /sys/block/fd0/device/vendor: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/block/fd0/device/model: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/jwm
Playing Sparc Audio '/usr/share/audio/2barks.au' : Mu-Law, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
Test if connected to internet...Network is ready.
sh: logger: command not found
mkdir: cannot create directory `/root/.config/cwallpaper': File exists
No config file found, using internal defaults (Hope you have fbsetbg :D ).
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: seq=0 ttl=46 time=33.713 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 33.713/33.713/33.713 ms
PING www.google.com (173.194.67.147): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 173.194.67.147: seq=0 ttl=46 time=33.470 ms

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 33.470/33.470/33.470 ms
Setting the wallpaper to: /usr/share/backgrounds/wary_stu90.jpg
Using the program /usr/sbin/set_bg.
Quiting peaceablly
/usr/sbin/download_file: line 58: 22009 Terminated Xdialog --wmclass "gtkdialog2" --title "$(gettext 'Testing file exists:') ${URLSPEC}" --tailbox /tmp/download_file_spider.log1 30 100
tail: unrecognized file system type 0x61756673 for `/tmp/download_file_spider.log2'. please report this to bug-coreutils@gnu.org. reverting to polling

(abiword:23070): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure

(abiword:23070): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! gdk-pixbuf loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure.

** (abiword:23070): WARNING **: Unable to load AbiWord icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/abiword_48.png': reason not known, probably a corrupt image file

(abiword:23156): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure

(abiword:23156): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Bug! gdk-pixbuf loader 'png' didn't set an error on failure.

** (abiword:23156): WARNING **: Unable to load AbiWord icon: Failed to load image '/usr/share/icons/abiword_48.png': reason not known, probably a corrupt image file

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_title: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text_with_mnemonic: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text_with_mnemonic: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_use_underline: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_use_underline: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_button_set_label: assertion `GTK_IS_BUTTON (button)' failed

(abiword:23156): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(abiword:23156): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:23156): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_set_model: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_insert_column_with_attributes: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_column: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_column_set_sort_column_id: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW_COLUMN (tree_column)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_tree_view_get_selection: assertion `GTK_IS_TREE_VIEW (tree_view)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_show_all: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_dialog_set_default_response: assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_modal: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(abiword:23156): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(abiword:23156): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_get_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(abiword:23156): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_dialog_get_action_area: assertion `GTK_IS_DIALOG (dialog)' failed
Generating /root/.icewm/menu...
Generating /root/.jwmrc...

scsijon

#139 Post by scsijon »

YUP, another GdkPixbuf-WARNING problem, I thought so!

I'm going to use a couple of the old packages, which worked ok, and update a number of others to suit the kernel so were in a halt mode at present for mage2, a couple of weeks more should sort it all out. Depending on how much I do will decide whether another alpha is required or just a beta.

regards and thanks for everyone's patience with this.

scsijon

scsijon

#140 Post by scsijon »

I decided in the end to update my woof2 and start again with mage2 after it would not build a stable mage2 after the woof2 update. A lot of changes were needed to sort it out.

I plan on releasing an alpha this weekend and will leave notes on what's what at the time.