PekWM 1.15 Released

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
musher0

#41 Post by musher0 »

Hello again, L18L.

Please try this new compile of pekwm, made especially for oldyeller's precise pup. You can download it from: http://limelinx.com/fef41
It does work on my oy-precise 5.3.0. I don't see why it shouldn't work on the Puppy Precise Barry is presently putting together and having people test.

As a reminder, you'll need one of the menu creation programs listed on the previous pages of this thread. But you already know this, of course. :)

Keep me posted? TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

L18L

#42 Post by L18L »

musher0 wrote:... you'll need one of the menu creation programs listed on the previous pages of this thread. But you already know this, of course. :)
Could you be more specific please?
No, I did not know this.
:)

musher0

#43 Post by musher0 »

L18L wrote:
musher0 wrote:... you'll need one of the menu creation programs listed on the previous pages of this thread. But you already know this, of course. :)
Could you be more specific please?
No, I did not know this.
:)
More specific... Well, pekwm comes with a default menu which you can use as an example. But, I think nobody wants to re-type the menu entries in the icewm menu, for example, in the pekwm menu with the pekwm syntax. So fellow members have offered solutions.

On the pages above, stu91 offers a dynamic menu based on perl, aragon offers a dynamic menu based on bash, and I have presented a static menu based on the jwm menu.

The dynamic menus take a half-second to load (creates sort of a hiccup effect); mine takes a full minute the first time it is created and then it appears immediately. Advantage of a dynamic menu of course is that any new program you install is readily listed on the next call to the menu. Advantage of a static menu is that you can customize it further, to reflect the way you interact with your programs ("your own logic", so to speak). So... it's your choice, basically. All three do a good job of "menu-ing".

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#44 Post by musher0 »

L18L wrote:
musher0 wrote:..making a link from /etc/pekwm to /usr/local/etc/pekwm...
my console wrote:# pekwm
failed to open file /usr/local/etc/pekwm/config_system
failed to open file
failed to open file /usr/local/etc/pekwm/mouse
pekwm: root window unavailable, can't start!
#
# ln -s /etc/pekwm /usr/local/etc/pekwm
# pekwm
#
BFN, c'est quoi?
Hello again, L18L.

I just noticed... Typing "pekwm" as you did from any console will not bring you any joy!!! :(

To start your Puppy with pekwm as a window manager, you have to go back to the initial black console by typing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and then, at the prompt, type "xwin pekwm" (without the quotation marks). This will bring you back in your Puppy with pekwm as the window manager. :D

Best.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

oldyeller

#45 Post by oldyeller »

musher0 wrote:Thanks much, aragon.

I guess pekwm users will be spoiled... Because, meanwhile... :D

Since stu's perl script was not working for me, I went back to work. Backtracking to the work I had done on pekwm for dpup-4.84, I re-discovered some ideas that I've put together here in a different manner.

So I came up with a pekwm menu generator based on the jwm menu, through jwm2pekwm, that was available at the time. (It still is.)

Basically, beforehand, I cut the pekwm menu in its essential pieces, and store them away safely. (This gives you also more freedom to edit/customize them.)

I then update my jwm menu with amigo & technosaurus' jwm menu utility.
You need this ! http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 26&t=70804 (It's not included in my pekwm menu-generation pet.)

I then run jwm2pekwm.

I then save the "SESSION" part of the resulting "jwm menu" separately, to reappend it at the end of the process/pekwm menu.

The more, tail and head utilties are most useful in this recreation.

You can see how it is done in more detail if you read the main script, "generate-pekwm-menu", and the "menugen" script.

I've included some illustrations.

It took me a while to refine the integration of the parts, but it works well now. Only problem: expect a delay of a little over a minute for the processing. Some messages will tell you when the new menu is ready.

To activate your updated menu, you use your existing pekwm menu (which has not gone out of memory). Click on to the "reload" menu item in the pekwm submenu and wait 2 seconds. Then, right-click on an empty part of the desktop, and there you go! You've updated your pekwm menu! :)

A summary of pekwm key combinations and a help file are included. They will show up when you hit the "Keys" and "Help" menu items in the "pekwm" area.

Enjoy! :)
Ok which one would you suggest that I use this is all new for me

oldyeller

#46 Post by oldyeller »

musher0 wrote:
L18L wrote:
musher0 wrote:..making a link from /etc/pekwm to /usr/local/etc/pekwm...
my console wrote:# pekwm
failed to open file /usr/local/etc/pekwm/config_system
failed to open file
failed to open file /usr/local/etc/pekwm/mouse
#
# ln -s /etc/pekwm /usr/local/etc/pekwm
# pekwm
#
BFN, c'est quoi?
Hello again, L18L.

I just noticed... Typing "pekwm" as you did from any console will not bring you any joy!!! :(

To start your Puppy with pekwm as a window manager, you have to go back to the initial black console by typing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and then, at the prompt, type "xwin pekwm" (without the quotation marks). This will bring you back in your Puppy with pekwm as the window manager. :D

Best.
There is no joy here :(

restarted x got pekwm but no menu used your pet. I am stumped.

musher0

#47 Post by musher0 »

oldyeller wrote: There is no joy here :(
restarted x got pekwm but no menu used your pet. I am stumped.
Hello, oldyeller.

The attached pet should fit the bill nicely. It's a drop-in replacement for the default pekwm menu, and really adapted to PuppyLinux. Please see illustration.

This menu contains aragon's dynamic menu, plus a couple of niceties (dynamic clock, access to my-documents, etc., as well as some online help), and the capacity to edit the pekwm parameters. :D

Keep me posted? TWYL.

Christian
Attachments
pekwmDynamicMenuAdaptedForPuppy.jpg
(14.9 KiB) Downloaded 1084 times
pekwm-menu-dynamic.pet
(6.97 KiB) Downloaded 950 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

oldyeller

#48 Post by oldyeller »

This may sound dump, but how do you get the menu to show up.

I have un-installed your pet and installed aragon's one. I still get no menu.

Still have no joy :( :( :(

musher0

#49 Post by musher0 »

Hi, oldyeller.

aragon always does a good job, but I am sorry to hear you went back to a previous version of pekwm. You won't be benefitting from the latest features.

In answer to your question, a mouse right-click on any empty part of the desktop will bring up the pekwm menu.

////////////////////
What brought me back here tonight is the choice of panels for pekwm.

Since pekwm does not have a panel, you might need lxpanel, which you can get from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62757

I believe fbpanel is included in most puppies now, so you may want to use fbpanel instead. (I prefer lxpanel because it has more plugins.)

pekwm authors also suggest some "companion" programs, including various panels. Please see https://www.pekwm.org/projects/3/wikis/Companions
However I have no experience of them, save for the xfce-panel, which is as powerful as lxpanel, IMO.

Good luck!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

oldyeller

#50 Post by oldyeller »

I am using pekwm that yu just did. It was the menu pet that you did that I un-installed.

For some reason it will not work I will continue to try though

Thanks

musher0

#51 Post by musher0 »

Hi, guys.

I've included a script to convert an icewm menu to a pekwm menu here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81496

It's quite fast, really, probably due to the fact that both menus are basically in text format.

I hope you won't mind the French comments, I haven't had the time to translate. As well, the job itself is done in bash language, no?

Just pluck the script off the page and save to ~/my-applications/bin. Once copied, make executable, of course. Don't forget to download the replaceit utility, too, it's the one making the conversion... :)

So we now have another avenue to the pekwm menu.

Enjoy.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

simargl

#52 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

aragon

#53 Post by aragon »

hi simargl,

maybe because there are so much config options ...

but you're right, this makes me wonder too.

aragon

Colonel Panic

#54 Post by Colonel Panic »

simargl wrote:Version 0.1.16 available!

Pekwm is good window manager, something like openbox with better theming support.

I wonder why it's not more popular.

I agree. It does pretty much everything I want a window manager to do and is lightweight into the bargain (musher, thanks for the script too).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

musher0

#55 Post by musher0 »

Colonel Panic wrote:
> (musher, thanks for the script too).

My pleasure! I'm glad it can be useful!

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

`f00

#56 Post by `f00 »

The 'popularity' may be due to a lot of config options° with no 'dumbed-down' gui (doc-page in one tab, texteditor in the other .. sane yes, but hardly point'n'click :lol: ).

Does it need imlib2 support for icons in the rootmenu? (haven't seen an openbox that does this in puppy yet either). The average user likes icons (lazy/quick visual recognition). Balance that against the intrinsic speed of a text-only menu..

Panels, bars and other addons for sure (but they all consume resources to a greater or lesser degree). Speaking of, bbdock is awfully slow to initialize as a harbor in pekwm for me :|

° - It has superior kybd support (and not-too-shabby mouse, either)

musher0

#57 Post by musher0 »

Hello, everyone!

Speaking of version 1.16... here you go ! Puppyfied, too ! :)
http://limelinx.com/e5j56

Enjoy! :cry:

Note: Compiled and packaged under the latest wheezypup (v. 3.5.2.5) by pemasu. Works well in wheezypup, but untested in other pups. Let us know your mileage?

BFN

musher0
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 10 Apr 2013, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#58 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

Anybody taken aback by the new configuration files in pekwm 1.16 ?
I had to import my old config files from version 1.14 to get the new
pekwm 1.16 to behave like I'm used to.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

simargl

#59 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#60 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

pekwm 1.17 is out. However, there are not enough significant changes -- as compared to pekwm 1.16 -- to publish a new Puppy build, IMO. Among other smaller things, it provides a snapshot utility, but Puppy already has many of those.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~