SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#141 Post by greengeek »

Should I just accept that I should not use Qupzilla on SPTINT2? or is there a chance that I could substitute a library from Exprimo?

I have attached an image of the libjpeg files and symlinks I find in /usr/lib. Does that give any useful info?

If I wanted to add a lib that would potentially make Qupzilla work here, is it likely I would need to recompile something? (I don't really have a need to get Qupzilla working as Opera is working really well for me now - it's just that there is obviously something I could learn from this and I like tinkering...)

@Gnuxo - would you have time to post a similar screenshot from Exprimo?

EDIT: forgot to attach the pic first time round... Doh!
Attachments
TINT2 libjpegs.jpg
(18.85 KiB) Downloaded 666 times

Tman

#142 Post by Tman »

@greengeek

It is not recommended to mix libs from from different based derivatives, as it can corrupt your system. But it might not be a big deal for you, if you know to to reverse the problem.

My understanding is that Exprimo uses Debian Squeeze libs, and Wary 5.1.1 uses libs based on an older version of Ubuntu (I don't know exactly which one, but it is older than Lucid).

The proper method would be to compile the latest QT in Solidpup and then compile Qupzilla. Yes, it is a lot of work, so I understand why someone would rather use a pet from a different based distro. If anyone is up to the challenge and wants to compile apps for Solidpup, I will add them to the Solidpup repo. If nobody answers the challenge, I may take a crack at compiling QT and Qupzilla myself, when the motivation arises.

Right now, I am working on something unrelated to Puppy, except that I am using Openshot in Puppy to do it.

Tman

#143 Post by Tman »

You can use most pets from the Quirky repo in Solidpup though, since the base for Quirky and older versions of Wary are basically the same.

I remember Barry upgraded a lot of backend libs for Wary later on, but can't remember the exact version he started to do that with.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01997

greengeek

#144 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Tman. I think it is about time I learned what this compiling thing is all about so I will do some research and start tinkering under the hood a bit.

Tman

#145 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote:Thanks Tman. I think it is about time I learned what this compiling thing is all about so I will do some research and start tinkering under the hood a bit.
No problem. Compiling takes time and patience to learn. You should start off by compiling small, simple apps. With the more complicated apps, you need to download and compile the dependencies first and then compile the app.
Also some sources need hacking before they can compile properly. A lot of times, some Googling will lead you to the answers, but real hacking requires that you understand how to program in the language that the source code was written in.

I've attached a script that I've made to build shed hex editor automatically.
I don't know if shed will be of any use to you, but by examing the script, you can figure out the steps I used for it. Just remove the fake .gz extension to rename it back to build_shed-1.15.sh

To run the script:
1) load the devx file for Solidpup with sfs-load
2) cd to the folder where you downloaded the script
3) from the terminal, type: sh build_shed-1.15.sh

By running the script, you can see in the terminal what goes on during the compile process.

*Be warned: QT takes hours to compile, even on a fast computer.
Attachments
build_shed-1.15.sh.gz
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

Tman

#146 Post by Tman »

An easy method when you are starting out with compiling would be to use src2pkg, but it only works for simple apps.

Addendum: You can also try compiling Firefox by following the instructions in the following thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77753

- the same options should work for firefox 13 as well

greengeek

#147 Post by greengeek »

Hey, thanks for the tips. I think I have the patience, now I'll just have to go looking for the time.

Had no idea this sort of thing was such a lengthy procedure - it gives me an even greater appreciation for the countless hours of development that goes into a good Puppy.

So, if I am compiling, I should use only the SolidPup devx for all apps? There would not be a need to use, say, the Wary 5.1.1 devx for certain things??

Tman

#148 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote: So, if I am compiling, I should use only the SolidPup devx for all apps? There would not be a need to use, say, the Wary 5.1.1 devx for certain things??
Use the Wary 5.1.1 devx. I realized that I didn't put up any links for it in the first post.
It is there now, along with the kernel sources.

P.S. There is no real "Solidpup devx", when I say the Solidpup devx, what I really mean is the Wary 5.1.1 devx.

greengeek

#149 Post by greengeek »

I love the default "Tequila" wallpaper with TINT2, but thought I'd have a look to see what else you had included - I decided I liked the look of Rock me:
Attachments
wallpaper rock me.jpg
(39.8 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

Clive

ROX filer

#150 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#151 Post by Tman »

Clive wrote:I'm having problems with rox-filer
Clive,

Thanks for pointing that out. I had the same problems as you, but didn't realize until recently that it was a bug with Rox-Filer. I always released the focus by left-clicking on a blank area of the window.

Details about the bug are in Barry's blog:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02053

Updating Rox-Filer to Barry's suggested version, should fix the focus problem with the Open-as-text option. But for, me the focus remains on the selected file, when I choose the "Open With" option. :(
rox_filer-201012git-patched.pet.

Clive

#152 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#153 Post by Tman »

Does anyone still have a copy of Solidpup-5.1.1 a4 beta?
The one I realease before these current versions?
I have deleted mine :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't need it ... I discovered the answer to the problem I was having.

Tman

#154 Post by Tman »

I remember saying somewhere in this thread that I was not going to be updating this version of Solidpup anymore.
Well ... err, I changed my mind. I have posted a new version today with quite a few bug fixes and updates.
I will put out a list of the changes later, as I have to go to work soon.

The download link is on the first page, and links to older versions have been removed to reduce confusion.
For now I have put out the Lite version for testing. I have called it a beta version, but it has improved over any other previous versions, IMO.
A non-Lite version will be released at a later time, when this "5.1.1-B" series goes out of beta.

starhawk

#155 Post by starhawk »

Downloading shortly :)

...BTW, I have a version of your older work on my hard drive here, labeled "Solid511-std-ed.iso" but other than that I know little of it. I did use it on a system, but I don't remember exactly when it was installed.

Tote

#156 Post by Tote »

Thanks for updating this, you just made my day! I like Solid Pup, I've been using it as my main OS. I'll download it later.

Thanks again!

Tote

#157 Post by Tote »

Okay, it's later.... Ran well from live CD, (old-ish laptop, Celeron M), I like the red screen for the boot options, nice change.

Internet connection worked first time, no problems, Dillo too.

Openbox config hung. Showed the frame but no options, white space inside box. 'Themes' was illuminated, but didn't respond, neither did any of the other options. Clicked the'X' to close the window and it came to life, options etc started working... okay after that. Good to see some new themes included...

I'll try frugal install later, need to walk the other pup in my life, right now.

Good job. Thank you.

(Sorry if this feedback sucks, I never did it before.)

EDIT; I failed on the frugal install. I have Solid 5.1.1. frugal on sda1, so I tried this on sda2, amended grub4 to include new install but I couldn't get it to boot. Kept booting into sda1. Tried temporarily removing grub4 for my original sda1 install but same thing, wouldn't boot beta version. Probably my end, not a fault with the new version.

Try again later.

Tman

#158 Post by Tman »

starhawk wrote:Downloading shortly :)

...BTW, I have a version of your older work on my hard drive here, labeled "Solid511-std-ed.iso" but other than that I know little of it. I did use it on a system, but I don't remember exactly when it was installed.
Starhawk, that is probably the standard version, which was made prior to the a4-beta version. Actually if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to take a look at it. Could you please upload it for me?
Tote wrote:Openbox config hung. Showed the frame but no options, white space inside box. 'Themes' was illuminated, but didn't respond, neither did any of the other options. Clicked the'X' to close the window and it came to life, options etc started working... okay after that. Good to see some new themes included...
Sounds strange ... do you get any error messages, when you type obconf from the Terminal? If so, could you post the output for me? ( just hightlight and choose "copy" from LXTerminal, then paste in the murga message ... with a full powered browser; I don't think Dillo has copy and paste. )
The default openbox theme is one that I hacked, so maybe I screwed up somewhere.
Tote wrote:EDIT; I failed on the frugal install. I have Solid 5.1.1. frugal on sda1, so I tried this on sda2, amended grub4 to include new install but I couldn't get it to boot. Kept booting into sda1. Tried temporarily removing grub4 for my original sda1 install but same thing, wouldn't boot beta version. Probably my end, not a fault with the new version.
I can confirm frugal install for Solidpup works. I usually just do a manual frugal install to a new folder with this method:

1) download the iso
2) create a new folder eg. solid511b
3) left-click on the iso to mount it and copy the 3 main files to the new folder: initrd.gz , vmlinuz, and wary_511.sfs
4) add a new menu entry to the menu.lst file or run grub4dosconfig to automatically setup the new menu entry for you

** if you have older Solidpup, Wary 5.1.1 or anything else based on Wary 5.1.1 installed, make sure you first boot in Pristine Boot mode (pfix=ram).

starhawk

#159 Post by starhawk »

I can upload the file... I think... Russoodle gave me some storage (it still works).

I'll upload it in a little bit, and once it's there, I'll post the link and such.

Tote

#160 Post by Tote »

Okay, here goes; manual frugal install, success! (first time I ever did one) :)

obconfig still hangs, got this from terminal..

(obconf:16864): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(obconf:16864): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

ObRender-Message: Unable to parse color ''
[/root]#

Does that help??