Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Geoffrey

#3521 Post by Geoffrey »

sakamoto wrote:briefly explained - i want to know where i can edit menu items like

about xfce
partview
pmount

which are note available with a .desktop file under /usr/share/applications
I'm not quite sure what you are wanting here, you need to use a text editor, use geany text editor in Saluki or the inbuilt editor with xmenumaker posted here, though that does require that uft-8 for your locale is in /usr/lib/locale.

There is no GUI editor for .desktop files, though I will be looking into that soon.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

elroy

non-persistent screen resolution

#3522 Post by elroy »

Hi umair,

You can force a screen resolution that you know to already work by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Probably a good idea to back up your savefile first before doing this.

At the bottom of the file should be a “Screen

mini-jaguar

#3523 Post by mini-jaguar »

greengeek wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:It will not unmount this USB stick I have. Tried about 5 or 7 times, sometimes it even crashes the o.s. altogether.
Does it make any difference which usb port you use? I have an Acer netbook which behaves differently on one of the ports. Also, what method do you use for the unmount?
No, makes absolutely no difference. I tried all three ports and it bugs every time.

On the other hand, if I use the same eeePC and boot another o.s., for example Puppeee, it works fine, so there is nothing really wrong with the stick which is malfunctioning in Saluki.

Strangely enough, I tried another USB stick in Saluki, a bigger one, I think 2 giga or something and it works. The only possible reason I can think of for the stick which isn't working is that it's only 500Mb and older and there's something missing in Saluki, because it works fine in other distros.

First attachment shows what it does if I try to unmount it.

If I press "EXIT" it shows the second screenshot. (Never mind that it's not a Saluki 23 wallpaper, it IS 23)

Pressing "KILL" goes to the command line, but sometimes reboots the whole computer altogether, even if not asked to do so. Typing "xwin" will get back in, if not shutting down, but the USB stick will still bug.

Also, one time I had the malfunctioning stick in, and stuck the stick which is working properly in Saluki in another USB slot, and Saluki didn't even recognise it's there.

Another time with the malfunctioning stick I tried shutting down, Saluki displayed "Saluki is now shutting down..." for a long time but wouldn't shut down.
Attachments
bug1.png
(75.25 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
bug2.png
(77.1 KiB) Downloaded 889 times

Karl Godt

#3524 Post by Karl Godt »

Not in Saluki atm but the kill screen in such cases is not a very good idea at all . If PID nr ' 1 ' shows then it does the same when i do a

kill 1 `pidof whateverprogram`

accidentally forgetting the ' - ' dash before the ' 1 ' .

PID nr 1 is busybox init and killing that would normally result in immediate reboot .

Problem : If i mount a filesystem on the sdc1 like an old pup-safe.2fs file, i often get that kill-xmessage when i forget to unmount that first prior . Attached screenshot shows my implementation .

Problem : Programs that keep the filesystem busy like acpid or desktop-window-manager special sub-programs ( like e17 for example has a temperature module that runs a sub-program ) which prevents the umount -ar of '/' to read-only mode at the end of rc.shutdown if the wmexit,wmreboot,wmpoweroff,restartwm scripts are not adapted for that to kill that process . I can also think of unforeseen additional installed features by the user .
Attachments
simple_unmount_gui.jpg
(74.14 KiB) Downloaded 829 times

greengeek

#3525 Post by greengeek »

mini-jaguar wrote:The only possible reason I can think of for the stick which isn't working is that it's only 500Mb and older and there's something missing in Saluki, because it works fine in other distros.
Just a couple of thoughts:
1) Is the behaviour the same when you unmount by rightclicking the desktop icon for that stick, or by using pmount from the menu? (rather than doing it with the file manager open...)
2) Do you have access to a usb hub that you could put between the stick and the eeepc usb port? Maybe there is some oddity about how Saluki drives the hardware of the usb port and a separate hub might "insulate" the stick. I have seen some slow sticks confuse the booting of Saluki so maybe Saluki code is "too fast" for some hardware, or less tolerant of read/write delays at some times.
3) Just noticed that your sdc1 icon is labelled as a "usb disk" where the others are not, The usb sticks on my Saluki 23 install dont show as "usb disk" either. Maybe that stick is formatted in a different way somehow? Maybe the mbr structure is different? Was it created with something like bootflash or mbr.bin originally? I guess you could try changing the format of the mbr, although that might change the symptom and lose the opportunity of identifying what Saluki is doing differently.

umair

Re: non-persistent screen resolution

#3526 Post by umair »

Elroy : Thnx for reply:
I checked the xorg file as u mentioned. The Screen resolution is already set as 1024x768. Here is my the screen section:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
# Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
#Option "metamodes" "1280x960_60 +0+0" #METAMODES_0
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768x16" #screen0modes
EndSubsection
EndSection
Any Idea ?????
UMAIR
Hello:
The Screen resolution issue has been solved. I ran xorgwizard and selected the desired resolution manually. restarted the X, and now the screen resolution is set according to my needs (1024x768).
Thnx Elroy n Every One.
Regards
UMAIR

KJ

USB un-mount problems

#3527 Post by KJ »

mini-jaguar ... Saluki 23 correctly mounts and un-mounts an old Sandisk 128 MB and a Laxar 256 MB USB flash drive for me so i doubt that age of the flash is the problem. I have only had a flash drive fail to unmount if I have mounted a .sfs file on a drive and failed to un-mount that file before I tried to un-mount the flash drive. In addition, the flash drive that is running your OS or an active save file can not be un-mounted. KJ

mini-jaguar

#3528 Post by mini-jaguar »

Karl, I don't understand most of your post, if it is in fact an answer to mine, but I do agree that installing programs and widgets can make a system unstable. However, the only thing I installed in mine is a single wallpaper, no programs, widgets or packages.

KJ, I am trying to unmount a USB stick which has no o.s. or save file on it. In fact, I usually plug it in after Saluki is already booted.
greengeek wrote:
mini-jaguar wrote:The only possible reason I can think of for the stick which isn't working is that it's only 500Mb and older and there's something missing in Saluki, because it works fine in other distros.
Just a couple of thoughts:
1) Is the behaviour the same when you unmount by rightclicking the desktop icon for that stick, or by using pmount from the menu? (rather than doing it with the file manager open...)
2) Do you have access to a usb hub that you could put between the stick and the eeepc usb port? Maybe there is some oddity about how Saluki drives the hardware of the usb port and a separate hub might "insulate" the stick. I have seen some slow sticks confuse the booting of Saluki so maybe Saluki code is "too fast" for some hardware, or less tolerant of read/write delays at some times.
3) Just noticed that your sdc1 icon is labelled as a "usb disk" where the others are not, The usb sticks on my Saluki 23 install dont show as "usb disk" either. Maybe that stick is formatted in a different way somehow? Maybe the mbr structure is different? Was it created with something like bootflash or mbr.bin originally? I guess you could try changing the format of the mbr, although that might change the symptom and lose the opportunity of identifying what Saluki is doing differently.
1) This is interesting. If I use pmount it goes to that pink screen I posted earlier. However, if I press exit, it simply goes back to the pmount screen (instead of saying it can't unmount, like in the file manager)

If I press exit, it does something completely different. It crashes to a black screen, the only thing on the screen being the cursor, which I cannot move with the touchpad.

2) Does absolutely nothing except maybe for the computer working a little slower when dealing with the USB stick. Bugs in the same manner.

3) That is because sdc1 is the only USB stick, sdb1 is an sD card.
edit: hmm, you may be on to something here, my other USB stick, which unmounts correctly, doesn't show this.

I think the one with problems was reformatted at one time. It's FAT32 I think, but the mbr may have been redone. I have read somewhere that factory USB sticks have this special anti-pirating thing in the mbr against purchased mp3s being copied. I didn't have any on the stick, but laying out a new table will have a different type of mbr. Still very weird that the same USB stick works fine on every other o.s.

greengeek

#3529 Post by greengeek »

mini-jaguar wrote:I think the one with problems was reformatted at one time. It's FAT32 I think, but the mbr may have been redone. I have read somewhere that factory USB sticks have this special anti-pirating thing in the mbr against purchased mp3s being copied
I thought that this anti-pirating thing (and U3 / Startkey code) only occurred with more recent sticks but I could be wrong.
laying out a new table will have a different type of mbr.
I believe that changing the partition table will not necessarily change the mbr structure. (I used to think that Gparted would write a new mbr during a puppy installation, but I found out when troubleshooting Saluki boot problems that programs like Gparted only write the partition table but don't change the rest of the mbr. I had been accepting the "use existing mbr" option instead of the "use mbr.bin package" option).
Still very weird that the same USB stick works fine on every other o.s.
Yeah, I think Saluki does some slightly different things when it comes to usb handling. I'd be interested to know how that stick behaves if you installed Wary53 or RacyNOP522 on the same hardware in exactly the same way that you installed Saluki. I have seen some odd things happen when certain puppies installed on a usb bus (which the sd card interface is...) try to handle data/control functions on another usb device. I definitely found that the mbr structure affects the timing of events on the usb bus (I have no idea why....)

Just as a sidenote - if I have any problems with a usb stick I now use puppy 431 to reformat the stick, install puppy 431 to it, then scrap the 431 files and just use it for whatever. After months of having boot problems with sticks formatted by other versions of Puppy it just seemed that there was something "special" about the particular combination of Puppy 431's versions of gparted and extlinux (and/or universal installer). There are other ways to "prepare" the stick but using 431 is my current favourite method.

There are various ways to save the mbr or list it's contents - I think it would be interesting to save a copy of the mbr of your problematic stick in case it offered some clues as to why Saluki is struggling with it.

sakamoto

#3530 Post by sakamoto »

Geoffrey wrote:
sakamoto wrote:where are the default xfce4 menu categories defined? i understood that no custom categories were defined as i cannot find anything in the ./config folder

thanks
Default xfce4 menu categories are here /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

The corresponding .directory files here /usr/share/desktop-directories

cheers
Almost Geoffrey :) These files explaines the categories layout = but i want to modify the specific icons and descriptions used for the Thunar File Manager, Thunar Bulk Rename, Pmount shortcuts as example which are shown under category Filesystem.

So i dont want to edit the categories but those special shortcuts in the specific categories like the example above. Thanks

sakamoto

#3531 Post by sakamoto »

and a last question= where can i change the cursor theme?

Geoffrey

#3532 Post by Geoffrey »

sakamoto wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
sakamoto wrote:where are the default xfce4 menu categories defined? i understood that no custom categories were defined as i cannot find anything in the ./config folder

thanks
Default xfce4 menu categories are here /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

The corresponding .directory files here /usr/share/desktop-directories

cheers
Almost Geoffrey :) These files explaines the categories layout = but i want to modify the specific icons and descriptions used for the Thunar File Manager, Thunar Bulk Rename, Pmount shortcuts as example which are shown under category Filesystem.

So i dont want to edit the categories but those special shortcuts in the specific categories like the example above. Thanks

If you have a specific icon you wish to use, then place it in /usr/share/pixmaps directory.
To edit the descriptions used, that is the comment in the .desktop files.

Edit the .desktop files located in /usr/share/applications.
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Pmount mount/unmount drives
Icon=harddrive.png <----------------------------------------change the icon here
Comment=Mount and unmount drives<------------ change's description for mouse over in menu
Exec=pmount
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-FilesystemMount;HardwareSettings
GenericName=Drive Mounter
you can change the mouse theme with Control Panel > Hardware > Mouse Settings, if you want to add new cursor themes, place them in /root/.icons

Is that what you need to know?
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Geoffrey

#3533 Post by Geoffrey »

Updated xmenumaker to version 2.6.9 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 652#649652

sakamoto

#3534 Post by sakamoto »

Thank you Geoffrey. Much appreciated!

sakamoto

#3535 Post by sakamoto »

Geoffrey - a last question :lol: do you know how i can change the font of the xfce4 notifications? i know i can change the colors with teh control panel but i am interested in changing the actual font...

edit: I was able to figure this one out - you can edit the notifications font under /usr/share/themes/THEMENAME

but i have a next xfce4 question :D is it possible to hide the descriptions of the shortcuts on the desktop? many thanks

Geoffrey

#3536 Post by Geoffrey »

sakamoto wrote:Geoffrey - a last question :lol: do you know how i can change the font of the xfce4 notifications? i know i can change the colors with teh control panel but i am interested in changing the actual font...

edit: I was able to figure this one out - you can edit the notifications font under /usr/share/themes/THEMENAME

but i have a next xfce4 question :D is it possible to hide the descriptions of the shortcuts on the desktop? many thanks
I had a good look around and could find nothing to disable desktop tooltips.

I can only suggest you try elroy's XfcePowerTools, this will allow you the change the size of the tool tip icons on the desktop so they are not so prominent. get from HERE

elroy

#3537 Post by elroy »

Hi Sakamoto,

There's two things you can try to "hide the descriptions of the shortcuts on the desktop".

First, open the hidden file /root/.gtkrc-2.0. You'll have to open Thunar, click 'View', and then click 'Show Hidden Files' in order to see it.

Once you've opened the file, at the bottom add the following:

Code: Select all

gtk-enable-tooltips = 0
If this doesn't give you the desired results, or you are getting buggy behavior, re-open the file and remove that line. Then try this out:

Code: Select all

gtk-tooltip-timeout = 9999
The problem with these two solutions is that you end up globally disabling tooltips in Xfce, not just the desktop tooltips.

If you use the XfcePowerTools pet that Geoffrey mentioned, you definitely can make the tooltips smaller, but only to a point. What it actually does is adjust the icon size inside the tooltip, and once the icon isn't visible (if set to 0) the tooltip size will still be governed by the amount of text inside the tooltip. In otherwords, while much smaller, it'll still be visible.

sakamoto

#3538 Post by sakamoto »

i think we should be able to do is straight in the themes config file too

something else, is someone able to create a pup of xfce4-screenshooter ?

i cannot compile as a compiler is missing in saluki

Geoffrey

#3539 Post by Geoffrey »

sakamoto wrote:i think we should be able to do is straight in the themes config file too

something else, is someone able to create a pup of xfce4-screenshooter ?

i cannot compile as a compiler is missing in saluki
sakamoto,

get the devx_luki_022.sfs from HERE 67.5 MB and rename it to devx_luki_023.sfs

and if you need to compile video drivers,you will also need the kernel_sources-3.2.8-ski.sfs HERE 102.0 MB

I gathered all the files that seem to be for the xfce4-screenshooter, just check it, appears to be all there, hope that helps.

Geoffrey

elroy

dropbox.pet

#3540 Post by elroy »

disregard
Last edited by elroy on Wed 12 Sep 2012, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.