Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aarf

Re: unwanted auto saves

#3501 Post by aarf »

greengeek wrote:
aarf wrote: i had at look at it but done nothing. Not a huge problem. Reported mainly to note a fix is required in saluki or somewhere.
Hi aarf, which browser are you using? I've been getting a bit suspicious of some of the self-updating behaviour of browsers lately.

Do you have updating enabled in your browser? I prefer to prevent my browser from ndoing any updates, and I certainly don't want it saving those updates to my savefile. (but I suspect some browsers do exhibit that behaviour...)
at present i am running operamini (outside of pupsave) in java microemulator which wont update itself so not the cause for me here. other times opera from is own partition which also doesnt auto update for linux. occasionally midori whose behaviour i dont know but with my current connection it cant access the internet for updates. ramsaveinterval as above is thirty, even though i did the change to -0 via the gui.

starhawk

#3502 Post by starhawk »

Of note... jemimah lives in Tampa FL according to her profile. She may have gotten affected by the floods a month or so back... and considering there's a hurricane AND the RNC headed towards that city, I don't want to think about what could happen...

Of note, I'm friends with lookinglass360, who lives in Largo FL and I've not heard from him since the aforementioned flooding as well. Sent him two PMs. I hope he just got his computers wet or something, and that he's OK and out there... I've long since lost his phone # so I can't exactly check up on him.

elroy

jemimah's disappearance

#3503 Post by elroy »

I agree with what Geoffrey said concerning jemimah's absence. And to reiterate, until we know, we don't know.

Each and every one of us that have come into contact with jemimah may have reason to be concerned about her, But let's be responsible and not fuel speculation.

greengeek

#3504 Post by greengeek »

Geoffrey wrote:I'll say no more as it would only be speculation.
Hoping that she's ok. The job change would have been a blow. She's obviously a smart cookie and has quite a talent for knocking up a nice clean bit of code so it's quite surprising that it didn't work out with the SAN thing. Hopefully she'll bounce back. Nasty bit of weather coming that way.

Puppyt

#3505 Post by Puppyt »

jemimah you so rock. Stay safe.
Best Wishes
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

elroy

XfcePowerTools Pet

#3506 Post by elroy »

Change extra Xfce desktop settings that are not available in the Control Panel with an easy to use GUI.

Change the desktop icon grid size, the icon text color, the icon text background color and/or transparency, and more. All without having to restart X Windows, so that you can make changes and see if it's what you want in a timely fashion, and then make more if you so desire.

Details available here.

magerlab

#3507 Post by magerlab »

unfortunately got this

# xfce_Power_Tools-0.0.3

(gtkdialog:1157): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_spin_button_new_with_range: assertion `step != 0.0' failed

(gtkdialog:1157): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_spin_button_set_value: assertion `GTK_IS_SPIN_BUTTON (spin_button)' failed
ERROR:variables.c:113:variables_new_with_widget: assertion failed: (widget != NULL)
/usr/sbin/xfce_Power_Tools-0.0.3: line 273: 1157 Aborted gtkdialog --center --program=win_main
saluki 023.

elroy

xfce_Power_Tools error

#3508 Post by elroy »

magerlab, which language locale does your Saluki use that you experienced this error on?

magerlab

#3509 Post by magerlab »

Russian locale

elroy

xfcePowerTools error

#3510 Post by elroy »

Thanks for the feedback, magerlab.

I suspect it has to do with the locale representation of real numbers. I coded it using 0.0 instead of 0,0 -
a period instead of a comma.

I'll try to get an updated version out soon to address this. Thanks again for the feedback.

elroy

XfcePowerTools

#3511 Post by elroy »

I've released a new version of the XfcePowerTools pet that fixes the localization error and a minor .desktop file adjustment. Also redesigned the layout to hopefully be easier to find items and be more visually appealing.

Details available at Saluki-Linux.
Last edited by elroy on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#3512 Post by Geoffrey »

Edit: 06/09/2012

Updated to version 2.6.9

The inbuilt editor is now disabled if there is no locale with UFT-8 support.

Added a reset to default for the inbuilt editors color and font settings.

Please test, as before it should be ok, I've tested numerous times.

Here is my latest attempt with xmenumaker, this version has a number of new features and a renewed text editor built with yad.

To begin with this version relies on locale settings to enable the text editor to function correctly.

if you generally don't use .UFT-8 then you will have to enable it once then you can disable it again,
this will be listed in /usr/lib/locale.

Typing locale -a in the terminal will list the locale types, there should be two for your locale one having .UFT-8

Code: Select all

# locale -a
C
en_AU
en_AU.utf8
en_US
POSIX
This is needed else the editor won't be able save all character sets and will possibly break the desktop files.

features of the text editor are the ability to change background and text color as well as the font.

I tried a different approach with this by saving the configuration settings back to xmenumaker thus no separate config file, this appears to work fine.

If you wish you can opt to use the system default text editor and bypass the yad editor by selecting the checkbox.

Added a undo button, this will allow for either the delete or edit's last action to be restored.

On the side menu are buttons to copy to desktop, hide or show a menu entry and add or remove from the Favorites menu.

To use these features a custom-xfce-applications.menu is used, which can be placed anywhere that you wish.

To switch to the custom menu, right-click the Saluki icon on the taskbar and select Properties, Use custom menu file,
then navigate to the custom-xfce-applications.menu where ever you have placed it, I keep mine in /root/.config

Extract the two .directory files, place them in /usr/share/desktop-directories, one for a Development menu the other Favorites menu.

At the moment there are no icons in the Desktop icon switcher allocated from these menu entries,
so I've selcted them from the hicolor theme.

The main Gui as also changed slightly, with error messages for all main entries, the categories now has a full list of entries to choose from, new layout cleaner look.

I will call this more of a version for testing to get some feedback on it's functionality and any bugs, though it should be bug free.

I would suggest at the lest to backup your applications directory.

Or try this with a new save file, I'd hate for anyone to wreck their installation.

At present there is no list for the hidden menu entries, I will add a button to list them in the next version.
Attachments
xmenumaker-2.6.9.tar.gz
extract and place in /usr/sbin
backup the original
(8.39 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
xmenumaker-2.6.7.tar.gz
extract and place in /usr/sbin
backup the original
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
xmenumaker.jpg
(76.26 KiB) Downloaded 1575 times
custom-xfce-applications.menu.gz
In the panel right-click the applications menu go to
properties select Use custom menu file navigate to the
custom-xfce-applications.menu, I keep mine in /root/.config
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Puppy-Development.directory.gz
extract and place in /usr/share/desktop-directories
(125 Bytes) Downloaded 331 times
Puppy-Favorites.directory.gz
extract and place in /usr/share/desktop-directories
(125 Bytes) Downloaded 372 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu 06 Sep 2012, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mini-jaguar

#3513 Post by mini-jaguar »

I am currently testing 23 on an Asus eeePC 701, booting from sD card. Seems to work for the most part, but there is a possible bug.

It will not unmount this USB stick I have. Tried about 5 or 7 times, sometimes it even crashes the o.s. altogether.

I'll eventually test with another USB stick, but I would like to say that there is nothing wrong with the one that is making Saluki crash, it works in any and every other o.s., including Windows, MacOS, Ubuntu, several Puppies, Slax, etc.

Strangely enough, my USB hard drive unmounts properly.

songzi

#3514 Post by songzi »

Sometimes when I try to change directory to /mnt/home, no file shows up. It seems to be unmounted, but when I quit Saluki, the pupsave file can be saved properly.

I am using Saluki on an Eeepc 900
Last edited by songzi on Mon 03 Sep 2012, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux | Arch | antiX

greengeek

#3515 Post by greengeek »

mini-jaguar wrote:It will not unmount this USB stick I have. Tried about 5 or 7 times, sometimes it even crashes the o.s. altogether.
Does it make any difference which usb port you use? I have an Acer netbook which behaves differently on one of the ports. Also, what method do you use for the unmount?

sakamoto

#3516 Post by sakamoto »

where are the default xfce4 menu categories defined? i understood that no custom categories were defined as i cannot find anything in the ./config folder

thanks

sakamoto

#3517 Post by sakamoto »

briefly explained - i want to know where i can edit menu items like

about xfce
partview
pmount

which are note available with a .desktop file under /usr/share/applications

Geoffrey

#3518 Post by Geoffrey »

sakamoto wrote:where are the default xfce4 menu categories defined? i understood that no custom categories were defined as i cannot find anything in the ./config folder

thanks
Default xfce4 menu categories are here /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu

The corresponding .directory files here /usr/share/desktop-directories

cheers
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

umair

#3519 Post by umair »

Downloaded Saluki 023 yesterday:
WOW What a Wonderful Puplet that is: :-)
Extra Ordinary work done by: Jemimah, and all the other great developers
of Puppy Linux Who are always ready to help you when ever You want :-).
Once again very best of luck to Puppy Linux Team for future releases:
Regards
UMAIR

umair

#3520 Post by umair »

hello every one:
I am facing a little bit problem in setting a screen resolution:
When ever I set a screen resolution as 1024x768, it will reset automatically
to 1280x960 when I restart my system. Means I have to set screen resolution on every boot.
Note: I m using FRUGAL Installation:
Thnx in advance.
UMAIR
Last edited by umair on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.