slacko 5.3.3, final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tlchost

#601 Post by tlchost »

8-bit wrote: Having to search through say 600+ posts for updates and fixes is not the way I want to spend my time.
Getting there is half the fun....or so they said.

OscarTalks

#602 Post by OscarTalks »

8-bit wrote:I noticed that pupradio did not seem to work with the normal tv selections that it had working before so I do not know what is up with that.
If you mean the "Shoutcast Movie" button which was carrying "Old Fashioned TV" the stream seems to have closed down. Indications are that the man who was running this and some other streams may have passed away.
Oscar in England

8-bit

Re: re: black screen

#603 Post by 8-bit »

L18L wrote:
8-bit wrote:I did not feel like searching through 600 posts in this topic, so I will ask in this post.
I tried to install slacko 5.3.3 frugally and no matter if I selected probe or vesa, I would get a black screen with only the taskbar and menu.
My_Official_Solution
Sure this helps 8)
The solution you linked to looks like greek to me. IOW, I just do not get it! :?

8-bit

#604 Post by 8-bit »

OscarTalks wrote:
8-bit wrote:I noticed that pupradio did not seem to work with the normal tv selections that it had working before so I do not know what is up with that.
If you mean the "Shoutcast Movie" button which was carrying "Old Fashioned TV" the stream seems to have closed down. Indications are that the man who was running this and some other streams may have passed away.
I am actually talking now about the earlier version of slacko, 5.3.2.9 in this case since I could not get past the black screen in 5.3.3 and at one time, I saw a message saying it could not find the screen when trying to run a program using the menu.
But in 5.3.2.9, even the kids sites failed to work.

L18L

Re: re: black screen

#605 Post by L18L »

8-bit wrote:The solution you linked to looks like greek to me. IOW, I just do not get it! :?
To make it easier :

- open /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d in texteditor

Code: Select all

defaulttexteditor /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d
- search "let the dust settle after X has started."

grep -n 'let the dust settle after X has started' /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d
will give you the line number
example:
56:sleep 1 #let the dust settle after X has started. 120718 reduce 2 to 1.

- increase sleep value.
- save, reboot and hope your problem is solved

The solution I have linked to is in woof now, it depends on speed of cpu.

tlchost

Java

#606 Post by tlchost »

Has/can any one make a pet/sfs file for the new version of Java(Version 7 Update 7)?

Thanks

Thom

mcewanw

slacko 5.3.3/adobe flash-player problem ("solved" case here)

#607 Post by mcewanw »

I am hoping that the following might provide the solution to many of the adobe flash problems people experience. Provides a solution on my system anyway so thought I'd document it here.

I haven't been able to use Puppy for a while but was missing it... So:

1. I made frugal installs of both Wary 5.3 and Slacko 5.3.3 onto my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop (I've provided details of that system at the end of this post).

2. In each case, I immediately rebooted and saved to create an ext2 pupsave of size 512MB.

3. On rebooting Slacko 5.3.3 I installed adobe flash-player-11.2.202.233.pet from slickpet > Flash-player -Older versions.

4. I immediately thereafter started the slacko included default Internet browser (Seamonkey 2.9.1) and visited youtube.com and tried running a video. Each time I tried running flash videos on Youtube they froze after a dozen or two dozen seconds but Seamonkey was otherwise still working.

5. I then uninstalled the above version of flash and tried various others, and also Chromium browser, but all with same freezing results...

[Note that one workaround, which did work, was to uninstall all flash-player plugins and use Google Chrome (not Chromium), since Chrome has its own flash-player built into it. I used google_chrome-19.0.1084.52-slacko.pet but I can't remember where on the forum I found that. Another version of Chrome is linked to at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 918#643918 However, I preferred to only have Seamonkey on my system so kept looking for a solution]

6. Then I somehow "intuitively" stumbled across the fact that running alsaconf (re-selecting the sound card), just prior to starting Seamonkey, fixed the problem... Suggests to me some kind of conflict between alsa and flash-player plugin (which restarting alsa with alsaconf/alsawizard resolved).

7. On rebooting the system again, sound was working fine, but the video freezing problem was back again... I suspect that the problem lies within the script /etc/init.d/10alsa but I didn't have time to work on that and for now am just using a simple workaround. However, it would be great if one of the devs familiar with that script could identify and fix the problem.

8. The workaround I'm using is to stop and restart alsa (and restart retrovol since it dies). At the command line that can be done as follows:

/etc/init.d/10alsa stop
/etc/init.d/10alsa start
retrovol -hide &
9. To make the above happen at every boot I simply modified the script /root/Startup/retrovol_tray to become:

#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/10alsa stop
/etc/init.d/10alsa start
retrovol -hide &
10. That's all that was needed. Adobe flash video now seems to work fine for me on this system with default Internet browser Seamonkey 2.9.1 on Slacko 5.3.3. So before you suspect your flash plugin, I suggest you check the problem isn't actually a conflict caused by alsa sound modules...

NOTE: I ran lsmod before and after the above workaround. In the before (video freezing) case, I discovered the modules snd_intel8x0 and snd_intel8x0m were among the loaded sound modules. After stopping and starting 10alsa, there snd_intel8x0 was still there but snd_intel8x0m was gone. Perhaps that will be a major clue to someone familiar with alsa and the 10alsa script as to what caused the apparent flash/alsa conflict in this case. I hope so!

My Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop system details:

Processor: Intel Pentium M processor 1.60GHz (BIOS date 2004)
Family, model, stepping: 6,13,6
Using CPU Frequency Scaling acpi-cpufreq/governor:ondemand
Memory: 1033MB. Not using any swap partition or swap file.
X Resolution: 1280x800 24bit
Audio Adapter: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 (VIA Vinyl AC'97)
Graphics Adapter: ATI Mobility RADEON 9700 SE
github mcewanw

smokey01

#608 Post by smokey01 »

mcewanw,

Maybe you just need to blacklist snd_intel8x0m

mcewanw

slacko 5.3.3/adobe flash-player problem ("solved" case here)

#609 Post by mcewanw »

smokey01 wrote:mcewanw,

Maybe you just need to blacklist snd_intel8x0m
I was so tired hunting down the fact that alsa was behind the flash video freeze problem that I never thought of that easy work around. Having identified the loaded sound module that was causing flash videos to freeze in Seamonkey (or other browsers using it) blacklisting the module does indeed seem to be sufficient to work round the problem. (The Bootmanager configure bootup utility can be used to add the module blacklist instruction line I required to the file /etc/init.d/blacklist.conf: blacklist snd_intel8x0m)

Of course, my main point is that alsa may be behind many of the problems people are having with flash-video freezes. The problem didn't occur for me in Wary 5.3 (I just needed to run alsaconf once and all was fine after that). Basically, I'm trying to point other people to this possible solution. Identifying the errant module may not be so easy for everyone, but stopping and restarting 10alsa is relatively straightforward. It would be even better if someone could identify why and if the version of 10alsa in slacko has something in it causing the problem. I note that it is an expanded version of the 10alsa used by Barry in Wary 5.3, so I'm wondering if one of the additions is causing a side-effect.

Anyway, all is fine for me, and thanks for the blacklist idea, smokey01, which is a much neater workaround for my more specific situation since I had already identified the errant module itself.
github mcewanw

tlchost

LibreOffice 3.61

#610 Post by tlchost »

01micko wrote:Here you go Thom, and anyone else wanting to use Libreoffice-3.6.0
3.61 is out now....and the 3.6 you did works fine.

Thanks so mcuh.

Thom

Pelo

Jampa Jukebox

#611 Post by Pelo »

impossible shutdown
que se passe-t-il ? What happens ? previous versions are all OK.
les versions de Slacko fonctionnaient toutes.
added Jampa (joe cocker best of playing)
Attachments
Jampa.jpg
JukeBox for Java.
(64.15 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 23 Jun 2016, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.

tlchost

Sloped Forehead

#612 Post by tlchost »

My forehead has begun to take on a hand-induced slope...which I attribute to the X-Chat in Slacko. there is no sound application specified in X-Chat...and to be honest, I haven't been able to figure out which of the installed sound apps to call and how to call it.

So now that I have admitted wearing a dunce cap, I'd appreciate some help, as none of my other hats fit anymore because of the forehead slope.

Thanks
Thom

01micko

#613 Post by 01micko »

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... 7-i686.pet

Umplayer with the Youtube patch for slacko 530-533

REQUIRES qt either the pet or sfs in PPM
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

Chromium 22.0.1210.0 pet & sfs

#614 Post by peebee »

Chromium 22.0.1210.0 pet & sfs

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81351

for both Slacko 5.3.3 and Slacko 5.4beta

(and also Precise 5.4beta)
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

oldyeller

#615 Post by oldyeller »

Will the repo's for slacko-533 be no good since slackware has gone to 14?

Or will they still be maintained?

01micko

#616 Post by 01micko »

oldyeller wrote:Will the repo's for slacko-533 be no good since slackware has gone to 14?

My intention is to maintain 5.3.3 (or less) compatibility.. but it isn't so easy. Working on a solution.

oldyeller

#617 Post by oldyeller »

01micko wrote:
oldyeller wrote:Will the repo's for slacko-533 be no good since slackware has gone to 14?

My intention is to maintain 5.3.3 (or less) compatibility.. but it isn't so easy. Working on a solution.
I am not at all worried about this. You do an awesome job with slacko to begin with. It would be understanding if it was not possible to do so. You do after all have a life outside of puppy. We all can wait until the next one is finished.

I like the fact that you can install to hdd from usb stick :D :D

Thanks for slacko 533 and the next version that is coming!!

Cheers

cowboy

transmission trouble

#618 Post by cowboy »

01micko,

Evening. Running new install Slacko 5.3.1 from savefile, and trying to update Transmission to new version in repos. Using PPM, 2.5.1 version fails to download. (There are two 2.5.1 versions listed for Transmission on Ibiblio) Downloaded .pet direct from ibiblio, ran it, and it will not start from menu. Removed it, downloaded 2.6 Transmission direct, ran the .pet, and it will not start from menu choice either. Any suggestions? Is this just an issue with 5.3.1? Tried fix menus, and flipped between JWM and IceWM without joy.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

01micko

#619 Post by 01micko »

cowboy

This one should work:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... i486-s.pet

You will need libevent from slackware, which will download from PPM (do a search though in the PPM search box)

If it doesn't start run transmission-gtk from terminal for clues.

cowboy

transmission and slacko

#620 Post by cowboy »

01micko,

Thanks so much. The libevent dependency from slacky did the trick. Just a note however: the link you gave me is to the first version of 2.5.1 listed at ibiblio, and will not download and install into 5.3.1. I notice that the file size given is a perfect 1000K, which seems odd. However, the second 2.5.1 listed would download and work (after installing libevent). That version has a slightly different name, and is here: (might need to update PPM to point there instead?) Thanks again!

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 6-supx.pet

Edited to correct link above.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.