Can I import an Alien Package into Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
starhawk

Can I import an Alien Package into Puppy?

#1 Post by starhawk »

Hey, I've got a "stupid question" here. I /think/ I know the answer but I want to make sure before I try it (I don't want to have it freak out and shoot the cat).

I know of a Slacko533-based Puplet that I really like. I want to install a program that does not appear to exist in *.pet form (Sonata, it's a music player). However, a Slackware *.txz package for this program *does* exist.

(1) Can I install that package into Puppy as if it were a *.pet file?
(2) If so, I assume I want the Slackware 13.37 version of the *.txz and NOT the Slackware 14 version?
(3) ...if all else fails, can I simply "unzip" the *.txz package and produce a set of folders and files for manual install, like I can with a *.pet file?

Thanks folks!

EDIT: just to be clear, I don't mind chasing down missing libs if I have to. I'm used to it already :D
Last edited by starhawk on Tue 04 Sep 2012, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

I don't know about Slacko packages, but you could certainly do all those with Lucid and Ubuntu
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

James C

#3 Post by James C »

It appears that the Slackware package is 64 bit so it'll be a no go in Slacko.......
Attachments
Sonata pkg.png
(13.6 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

Burn_IT

#4 Post by Burn_IT »

I hope I beg to differ.!
I have Slacko 5.33 on my old laptop (this machine) which ceased to be made before 64bit machines were invented!! (probably)
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeslr

Slackware specific questions best posted to Slacko thread

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi starhawk,

Slackware specific questions are best posted to an active Slacko thread where those who know are (a) likely to find your question and (b) provide an answer.
I know Slacko can use txz files from Slackware repos. Although I test Slackos, believing I understand Ubuntu better, I primarily use Lupu and now precise. In those, you just have to click the .deb and Lupu/precise will install it. I think Slacko will do the same for txz files. But none check for dependencies. When you hunt down a Ubuntu or debian .deb, the web page its on tells you what dependencies it requires. Perhaps Slackware does the same.
Sometimes rather than just clicking the .deb, I unpack it, do the same with dependencies, combine them into one folder and use dir2pet or dir2sfs to create a pet or sfs. As long as you're experimenting, look up dir2pet and dir3sfs. If you're successful, you may want to share.

mikesLr

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

@Flash: I seem to recall a different title on this thread, which was perfectly good, and I don't seem to have a message saying it was changed... :? :wink:

@mikeslr: I rather didn't want to bother jejy69 with another half-inscrutable question about his GNOME-2.3.2 puplet... I've pestered him quite enough already!

I think I'll just try it and see what happens. I'm running from a CD w/o savefile right now (as a testing/dev thing) so worst happens I break something and reboot to a clean "install".

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

It /almost/ works -- there is one dependency that I can't really fulfill.

python-mpd.

I tried the /regular/ MPD, no go. It needs the python version, which doesn't appear to exist in any form other than source tarball... although I'll google around and see if I can find it hidden somewhere...

If all else fails, I'll compile it, but I'd really like to avoid that... I do not get along well with most programming languages!

EDIT: well that was fast! Get the *.txz here. It will work in any Slacko pup, I think...

Oh, right... a dirty little trick that's unfortunately necessary. Once you install both Python-MPD and Sonata, go into /usr/lib64 (which it creates and should not) and copy everything over to /usr/lib -- that will make it work.

...also Sonata tries to connect to the Net constantly. I will be looking at how to change that!

Flash, I'm going to mark this Solved. I hope you don't mind my changing your title!